Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

VonLuck wrote: »
    .... I tend to walk on the left on footpaths because at least then you're facing traffic....
    Not if the footpath is on the left side of the road. Traffic will be approaching from behind whether you're walking on the left or right side of the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

loyatemu wrote: »
    cycling on the local cycle paths the amount of cyclists who can't get their heads around "pass on the left" is bewildering, particularly when it's clearly marked on the path itself which side is for which direction. And I'm talking about adults, most of whom presumably can drive and are familiar with the concept when behind a wheel.
    Are you suggesting that if you catch up and want to pass someone in front of you on a cyclepath, you do so on their lefthand side? That's what "pass on the left" implies to me. From the Road Traffic Act: "Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so".

Probably because it's normal to pass on the right (in this country).

I'm getting confused. I think what loyatemu might be referring to is when you're approaching an oncoming cyclist and you expect that each of you will keep left as you would when you're driving but instead they try to go to the right of you. Happens very regularly to me.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm getting confused. I think what loyatemu might be referring to is when you're approaching an oncoming cyclist and you expect that each of you will keep left as you would when you're driving but instead they try to go to the right of you. Happens very regularly to me.
    Well he/she did use the word 'pass'. You can't pass someone coming from the opposite direction. You 'pass' someone going in the same direction, you 'meet' someone coming from the opposite direction.

But I take the point. It never occurred to me that he/she may have meant oncoming cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭hesker

Stark wrote: »

You mean they try to go to the left of you surely?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Not if the footpath is on the left side of the road. Traffic will be approaching from behind whether you're walking on the left or right side of the footpath.

I mean that if you're on the roadside of the path on either side you will be facing traffic. I've been on some tight footpaths and forced to go with the traffic because someone else is coming the other way on the inside and it's a bit unnerving. Feel like a wing mirror could clip you, not to mention some people who step out on the road to socially distance not realising there's a car coming behind them!

• Advertisement

I mean that if you're on the roadside of the path on either side you will be facing traffic...
    I'm confused by your 'clarification'! :confused:

If you are on the 'roadside' of a footpath on the left hand side of a road, how would you be 'facing' traffic as we drive on the left. Traffic would be coming up behind you. (Obviously you would be facing traffic on the far side of the road but that would not be a danger as such).

You can only be 'facing' traffic if you are walking on the roadside of a footpath on the right hand side of a road - not on either side.

I'm confused by your 'clarification'! :confused:

If you are on the 'roadside' of a footpath on the left hand side of a road, how would you be 'facing' traffic as we drive on the left. Traffic would be coming up behind you. (Obviously you would be facing traffic on the far side of the road but that would not be a danger as such).

You can only be 'facing' traffic if you are walking on the roadside of a footpath on the right hand side of a road - not on either side.

I didn't think I would have to explain this! If you stay left (i.e. the left hand side of the footpath, not the left hand side of the road) the person on the road side will always be facing the traffic. The person on the furthest away from the road will always be going with traffic, the person closest to the road will be going the opposite direction, facing oncoming cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems to be a lot of confusion about nothing?
    loyatemu, by the way i read the post, was referring to 'conduire a gauche'. and using pass in the common sense, not the 'overtake' sense.

i would say 'i passed pat while out walking' even if pat passed me going the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

the left hand side of the footpath, not the left hand side of the road

Don't cycle on footpaths for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

SuperS54 wrote: »

Footpads

• Advertisement

I was talking about walking :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is there a mod around to get this thread back on topic? Or at the very least request some diagrams to go with the gibberish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In the context of this thread, the Royal Canal most of the paths are shared use. Though its poorly sign posted either way. There usually only a sign where you can't cycle as per the videos I liked earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its simple enough on a tow path, cycle on the left, and dont give way to a cyclist coming the other way that thinks different, will only encourage them. Always make way for pedestrians,

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah I meant on 2-way cycle tracks meeting a cyclist coming in the opposite direction and them trying to move to (their) right, or even stopping in confusion because they think we're going to collide. This is Ireland - keep left and keep going!

(for added confusion, one, and only one, cycle lane in the town has the markings deliberately painted the other way around i.e. "cycle on the right" because some road engineer thought it would be safer to have cyclists travelling in the same direction as the adjacent one-way street)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Another thing to watch if you're travelling along the Royal Canal (and may have been "fixed" since last Summer) is that you often have to change sides when you arrive at a bridge. It may not be immediately obvious which side to be on but most have signs indicating the way but you can easily forget to look for them at the start of the journey.

I'm hoping this aspect has been improved since I did this route last year. It'll be interesting to see the numbers on it, now it had been officially launched... and when restrictions are eased, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I'm hoping this aspect has been improved since I did this route last year. It'll be interesting to see the numbers on it, now it had been officially launched... and when restrictions are eased, of course!

I think the delay in the launch of the Greenway was mainly down to preparing signage and promotional material. The brochure available for download at http://www.waterwaysireland.org/greenways/royal-canalgives a reasonable indication of where you need to cross over to the far bank but the signage hopefully will make it more obvious.

There are some sections where there are roads/paths/tracks on both banks but, rather than separate pedestrians and cyclists, I suspect they have a single shared Greenway over the full distance as indicated in the brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

What would be the best stretch of the royal canal? I did 35km from Leixlip past Enfield last summer. Would love to explore more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Magzire wrote: »
    What would be the best stretch of the royal canal? I did 35km from Leixlip past Enfield last summer. Would love to explore more

Killashee to Ballinacarrigy is my favourite stretch. June is a great month to do it. Plenty of people cutting hay, nice and warm, canal cool enough for a swim.

It's a good mix of very quiet roads and canal paths, plenty of nature and the bit through the bog from Abbeyshrule to Ballinacarrigy is stunning.

It's 35 km or so. But if you're in Dublin you can take an early train to Longford and cycle to Mullingar which is about 60 km and a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

The last section, Abbeyshule to Cloondara, was my favorite mostly because of the remoteness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Magzire wrote: »

Would agree that the Mullingar to Cloondara or Longford is more attractive but that was partly because I was less familiar with it. One of my best solo trips was in cool clear December sunlight in 2018 having taken the morning train as far as Mullingar. No swimming in the canal or haymaking but beautiful light and scenery.

something I want to do this summer, get going about 5AM and head west ~150km and get the train back

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Second the abbeyshrule kind of area. Few gorgeous little lock keepers cottages around that side. Manchan has a great pod cast where he meets a local who's passionate about the inney river in abbeyshrule. There's a hotel / pub there that does acceptable sandwiches.

There's a few other surprises elsewhere too - kilcock is a very nice town and they appear to play some kind of canoe polo type sport there. Very nice cafe in enfield a bit down from the road that meets the canal
    silverharp wrote: »
    something I want to do this summer, get going about 5AM and head west ~150km and get the train back

Consensus is you're more likely to have a tail wind west to east so train to longford, cycle out to the shannon and then back. Did it recently enough (not during penal laws) 170k, but a very easy 170 as all flat. Lots of posts above on various people's travails and a blog from a group from swords I think that gives you an impression of some of the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Anyone got some nice pictures of some routes?

a148pro wrote: »

Consensus is you're more likely to have a tail wind west to east so train to longford, cycle out to the shannon and then back. Did it recently enough (not during penal laws) 170k, but a very easy 170 as all flat. Lots of posts above on various people's travails and a blog from a group from swords I think that gives you an impression of some of the scenery.

dammit why didnt I think of that , I do like an early start on such rides though, what would be a starting time be at the far end? one other advantage I guess is when you arrive home you are home.

another option might be staying in a local camping site the night before, I have a super light 1 man coffin tent that basically folds up like a summer jacket weighs less than 1.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Starting in the west and cycling east has the other advantage of having more train stations at regular intervals in case you get tired towards the end of the day. I've done it a few times that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I did the route in December one way with a friend, Dublin westward. It seemed mostly done as far as construction was concerned. A lot of the new surface it is finished in loose tan-coloured small gravel, it's fine but the looseness can be a little annoying. We are well-versed in wild camping so we brought individual tents and all food and supplies with us.
    There are (new) kissing gates at every bridge, one for each side, which gets really annoying when you're carrying gear. We were cursing every one of those momentum-stealing gates.

We joined the canal at Lucan, 53.37159, -6.45704 , the section from there to Maynooth was in horrendous condition, just deep, wet mud. I came off my bike four times, though my friend did not. I put this down to the tires mostly, he had Kenda Happy Mediums 40mm, and I had Hutchinson Overrides 38mm, which had almost no tread (those crap tyres are now removed).

Anyway, join the canal at Maynooth unless you have a mountain bike or it's very dry.

The Flying Club in Abbeyshrule had people practicing acrobatic maneuvers while we were passing, that was probably the highlight.

Overall, it's a nice enough route. I've attached a picture of the view I woke up to along the way, but I don't want to advertise the specific location online. You can figure it out easy enough.

• Advertisement

Overall, it's a nice enough route. I've attached a picture of the view I woke up to along the way, but I don't want to advertise the specific location online. You can figure it out easy enough.

camping beside a canal is nice, I canoed down the Barrow with junior a few years back which has canal lough sections, its got something

Advertisement