Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Triumph Spitfire gearbox

Options
  • 22-03-2021 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

friend has a Triumph Spitfire , 1300 cc.he does not know a lot but thinks he needs a clutch gearbox.
    i know a bit but have not seen the car.

He says that when last started ,it would not go into gear. this sounds clutchy to me.
    Anyway if he needs a gearbox, anyone know of one. What trouble do they give/

My old school type mechanic may have a look at it for him. its not beyond his ability to fix a gearbox..

a quick look at ebay uk has some ,condition unknown, complete recon 500/600 pounds , too dear for this car i.m.o.

Suggestions??/

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think there is a Triumph Owners Club - try contacting them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

How long has it been since it was last moved, it may not need a clutch, as triumphs suffered from something
    else,
    that may be an easy fix.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The clutch may just be stuck. I had a car stood for a good while and the clutch was stuck - that is the clutch plates were glued together. It was certainly a car of the seventies, hydraulic clutch.

It was a while ago, but basically started the car in neutral, got someone to push the car, and with the clutch pedal on the floor, slipped it into 2nd gear, and revved the engine, then banged on the breaks. After a few goes, clutch freed and it was OK after that.

The car would need a running engine, a good set of breaks, and a few good friends to push it.

Thats my thoughts exactly.

I had this problem on two Triumphs. One I put in first gear with the engine off. Then I cranked the starter,
    the car jumped forward. It was this force that loosened the plate from the flywheel. Job doine.

Of course MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT IN A POSITION TO STRIKE ANYTHING ELSE if you use this method.

On another i had to get access from below to strike the plate with a long screwdriver, while someone else
    pressed the clutch to relieve the pressure. This of course was done with the engine off.

Actually, I think that is exactly what I did. If I recall, it took a few goes, but it was successful in the end.

• Advertisement

The old dogs are for the hard road:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

kadman wrote: »
    I put in first gear with the engine off. Then I cranked the starter,
    the car jumped forward. It was this force that loosened the plate from the flywheel. Job done.

Agreed, I did the same with a Rover P4 a few weeks ago, lying up for a few 5 years and clutch stuck, took a bit of driving, starting and stopping it in gear etc, but eventually it let go, not good for the starter though

Can you post up a pic of the P4, I always liked them .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

kadman wrote: »
    Can you post up a pic of the P4, I always liked them .:)

This is the only pic I have at the moment, its a 4 cylinder 80 model. Had a habit of the clutch sticking in the past, but was badly stuck this time. Engine out to fix some leaks, new clutch disc, flywheel skim, and general maintenance. Not my car, just doing a bit of work on it.

548503.jpg

Got the starter refurbished too, to be sure to be sure :rolleyes:

Lovely car, just as i remembered them.

I see a nice enough example on DD for small enough money too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

thank you for your replies. I had the same idea . will contact the owner

regards

kadman ,i noticed a cool looking 411 type car on the web tonight, you were mentioned as a potential purchaser

rugbyman wrote: »
    thank you for your replies. I had the same idea . will contact the owner

regards

kadman ,i noticed a cool looking 411 type car on the web tonight, you were mentioned as a potential purchaser

I missed that, and i would be interested, mmm.

Can you give us a link to the 411, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think it's in the classic Irish cars I'm not buying thread, it's in one of those multi/ clear out type ads, she looks fairly tough, can't see you getting this one past the missus on the six month promise:D
    We found ferodo clutch and brake shoes were much more prone to sticking than other brands.

Advertisement