Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interviews?

• 25-03-2021 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I was doing a bit of planning for an interview, there are two questions that maybe asked and I would like some feedback in how to answer them :

(1) If you don't have alot of experience in dealing with under preforming direct reports and your asked in an interview how in the past have you managed under performing direct reports what should you say ?

(2) If your asked about if you ever had disagreements with your supervisor, how should you handle this question ?

Any feedback appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

whiz wrote: »
    I was doing a bit of planning for an interview, there are two questions that maybe asked and I would like some feedback in how to answer them :

(1) If you don't have alot of experience in dealing with under preforming direct reports and your asked in an interview how in the past have you managed under performing direct reports what should you say ?

(2) If your asked about if you ever had disagreements with your supervisor, how should you handle this question ?

Any feedback appreciated

Answer honestly, never arose, but if it did arise you would....hypothesise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You have definitely had underperforming direct reports but just didn't notice it, so absolutely do not say you never had underperforming staff, it's just admitting you're a bad manager.

What the interviewer is looking for is how you noticed issues before they became big, and how you dealt with a difficult employee who just wasn't getting it. They want to know you communicated well and followed process.

I would talk about using monthly one on ones to prevent issues. I would talk about an example of when someone wasn't performing and how we dealt with it in the one on one. I'd also talk about a disaster where I was managing a person who developed a drug problem and how I worked with HR to deal with it. (this last one really happened to me)

Don't say anything negative about your supervisor.

I would say something like, no, there were never any major disagreements. We would have discussions about things but I understood the company vision and goals and my role in that, so things generally went smoothly. That's not to say my supervisor and I didn't discuss ideas or thrash out some ideas, but I would consider these all to be positive conversations.

My supervisors and I have always had the same goals - doing what's best for the company.

Something like that.

Basically your goal here is to not say anything bad. Either say something neutral or positive only.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You have definitely had underperforming direct reports but just didn't notice it, so absolutely do not say you never had underperforming staff, it's just admitting you're a bad manager.

What the interviewer is looking for is how you noticed issues before they became big, and how you dealt with a difficult employee who just wasn't getting it. They want to know you communicated well and followed process.

I would talk about using monthly one on ones to prevent issues. I would talk about an example of when someone wasn't performing and how we dealt with it in the one on one. I'd also talk about a disaster where I was managing a person who developed a drug problem and how I worked with HR to deal with it. (this last one really happened to me)

Don't say anything negative about your supervisor.

I would say something like, no, there were never any major disagreements. We would have discussions about things but I understood the company vision and goals and my role in that, so things generally went smoothly. That's not to say my supervisor and I didn't discuss ideas or thrash out some ideas, but I would consider these all to be positive conversations.

My supervisors and I have always had the same goals - doing what's best for the company.

Something like that.

Basically your goal here is to not say anything bad. Either say something neutral or positive only.

Thanks that’s good advice

Advertisement