Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you have yours

• 24-03-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,509 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what way do you lads & ladies like your whiskey ,

I sometimes go neat some times just add ice ,depends on my mood, what i'm into at the time ,

I currently enjoy it with ginger Ale and a section of lime but every so often i change it up

As the old saying goes a "real man/woman drinks his whiskey however the F*ck he likes "

So what's your go to ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,271 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pretty much always neat. A couple of whiskies I'll add the tiniest drop of water to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Depends on the whiskey or whisky.

Broadly speaking...
    Your basic blends like Jameson with lots of ice or in a refreshing long drink with ice, ginger ale / cola / 7up & lime as a pick me up.

Scotch whisky one ice cube and let it melt half in.

Higher end Irish whiskey a splash of spring water - not tap water cos I'm in a hard water area and yes you can taste it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,509 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

odyssey06 wrote: »

Broadly speaking...
    Your basic blends like Jameson with lots of ice or in a refreshing long drink with ice, ginger ale / cola / 7up & lime as a pick me up.

Higher end Irish whiskey a splash of spring water - not tap water cos I'm in a hard water area and yes you can taste it.

Pretty much what I do your every day whiskey as I call them for mixing ,
    Your expensive fancy ones neat ,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Usually neat, but I have no problem at all saying some of my favourites are often very enjoyable with a few ice cubes thrown in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If it's 40% abv up to about 55% abv I'm likely to just drink it as it is, no water or ice.

Once it's 55% abv or above (I'm being a bit arbitrary here, it kind of depends on the whisky and my mood) then I'll add a splash of water, but pretty minimal... I wouldn't see the point in diluting it past just what is required to drink it neat.

I'd drink pretty much everything that way... I wouldn't put ice or mixers in anything unless it was a mixed drink / long drink.

I do use whisky and bourbon for boulevardiers, whisky sours etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mix of neat and a little water depending on the spirit and my mood.
    Occasionally enjoy an ice cube in, particularly in the pub or if the whisky is very warm.
    I really like hot whiskey, I use a little honey rather than sugar and I often add a slice of ginger as well as the traditional lemon and cloves. I like them pretty short. A regular hot whiskey is far too sweet and dilute for my taste.

Really enjoying whisky sours lately.
    New York sour is interesting, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Splash of water. No mixers. Dont drink whiskeys that can be improved upon by adding fizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,509 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Splash of water. No mixers. Dont drink whiskeys that can be improved upon by adding fizz.

Can be a nice refreshing drink with a kick if done correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Bourbon with ice I think is lovely during the summer.

I enjoy a small drop of superiority in my whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Drop of water usually, or a cocktail. Haven't had a whiskey and ginger in ages, I must seek out some nice ginger ale. Schweppes always feels a bit too sweet for me.

Twee. wrote: »
    Drop of water usually, or a cocktail. Haven't had a whiskey and ginger in ages, I must seek out some nice ginger ale. Schweppes always feels a bit too sweet for me.

You might like a whiskey mac.
    Stone's ginger wine and whisky - with or without ice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Twee. wrote: »

Horse's neck ...

1/3 bourbon
    2/3 ginger beer or ginger ale
    2-3 dashes bitters
    Long winding lemon peel to garnish

You can sub whisky for the bourbon if it's something robust enough. I used to make it with Fentiman's ginger, I use that for everything ginger drinks related. You get hot ginger and not too sweet.

It's a bit wanky (can I use that word in a food and drink forum without it being icky?) but what makes this different is the long winding lemon peel, you basically want to make the best job of it you can, a nice long piece that winds all the way through the drink and it imparts a little bit of zing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Will give those both a try! A Moscow mule is probably the only way I'd drink vodka so the addition of bitters could be something to do with it.

I do like Fever Tree ginger actually, but must try the Fentiman's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭SteM

You might like a whiskey mac.
    Stone's ginger wine and whisky - with or without ice.

Someone recommended this to me last week but ginger wine seems to be difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Depends, I use entry level for cocktails, old fash, sours etc

I have higher ends and single malts that I just drink straight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

odyssey06 wrote: »

Broadly speaking...

Swap scotch for bourbon and we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

Advertisement