Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh wow, I’ve just spent the last half an hour reading through their negative reviews on Trust Pilot. The way they reply to people!!! Literally threatening people with legal action unless they remove their negative reviews. Unreal! Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Oh wow, I’ve just spent the last half an hour reading through their negative reviews on Trust Pilot. The way they reply to people!!! Literally threatening people with legal action unless they remove their negative reviews. Unreal! Avoid!

Yes, their replies are so aggressive! It was this more than the bad reviews that made me concerned.
    I would normally check reviews before buying from somewhere new but their website looks legit and im normally very cautious & vigilant when it comes to purchasing online.
    Lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Got a few bits over Christmas....

Ella & Jo serum and hyaluronic acid. I actually really like them. I dunno how many times I've nearly dropped the glass serum bottle on the tiled bathroom floor, I'll cry if I do, it's not cheap! It's frosted glass so I can't see how much I've gone through yet. It's not sticky like some other hyaluronic acids. Quite like the spray also.

Few Aimee Connolly Sculpted bits.
    Got the liquid concealer and I have to say it's up there up my holy grail from Catrice! Less coverage than the catrice one but more brightening. Not too thick and blends well. Will be repurchasing.
    Her beauty base - it's nice but I got the pearl one and I wouldn't wear it on it's own, it would need a base over it.
    Second skin foundation - love this. Perfect day time foundation. I got the matte one and it's not flat matte and with the beauty base there's a little glow but not shiny. I think the shade (fair plus) is a tad pale on me but looks fine once I've done the rest of my makeup.
    Also got her Hydrate and hold spray. It says it's a hydrating setting spray but I find it's very wet for that. It's grand for a spritz during the day and has a lovely citrussy scent.

I'm only putting make up on once a week now when I'm going to do the grocery shopping. I find I'm reaching for the same products most of the time. Think I'll do a big declutter of my makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Got a few bits over Christmas....

Ella & Jo serum and hyaluronic acid. I actually really like them. I dunno how many times I've nearly dropped the glass serum bottle on the tiled bathroom floor, I'll cry if I do, it's not cheap! It's frosted glass so I can't see how much I've gone through yet. It's not sticky like some other hyaluronic acids. Quite like the spray also.

Huge +1 for this. Really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've been using Nak shampoo and conditioner for ages and really like them. It's the only sulfate and paraben free brand I've found that still feels like a luxury product. Recently though I bought their shine mist (just so that I'd spend enough to get free shipping) and omg I love it!! One spray after I dry and straighten my hair and it keeps my hair perfect until I wash it again, 2-3 days later. It smells fab too! Think it was about €18 but well worth it, and it's a big bottle that'll last ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

I've been using Nak shampoo and conditioner for ages and really like them. It's the only sulfate and paraben free brand I've found that still feels like a luxury product. Recently though I bought their shine mist (just so that I'd spend enough to get free shipping) and omg I love it!! One spray after I dry and straighten my hair and it keeps my hair perfect until I wash it again, 2-3 days later. It smells fab too! Think it was about €18 but well worth it, and it's a big bottle that'll last ages.

Would you have a link to that spray please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

keredern wrote: »
    Would you have a link to that spray please? :)

Of course, here you go. :)

https://www.beautybag.ie/product/nak-shine-mist/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I made my first Pat McGrath purchases in the Black Friday sale last year and was so impressed I couldn’t resist her latest sale last month. I got a bundle of the first three mothership palettes, subliminal, sublime and subversive. I found the colour stories to be appealing but a little bit intimidating at first especially compared to the more everyday and wearable colour stories of the previous two palettes I bought, divine rose I and bronze seduction.

They’re not colours that I would usually go for however I’ve been playing around with them for the past two weeks and have found them to be far more usable and wearable than my first impressions. I incorporated the deep blue shimmer shade from the subliminal palette into my eye look today and I’m still blown away at how much the colours when applied actually look like the colours in the palette, actually most of them even look better when applied. Normally I would have avoided shades like the deep blue as they tend to look muddy on me especially when blended out and not much like the original shade but this was so pigmented and vibrant.

I’ve never had so many compliments on my eye makeup since I started using her shadows and to be fair I’m not the best at application or working out cohesive eye looks but the special shades are definitely eye catching! There are four “special’ shades in each mothership palette apart from decadence. They have different finishes to the other six matte and shimmer shades. There are duo/triochromes, some almost like a wet foil look and textured shades, hard to describe without seeing them in person and photos don’t do them justice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I made my first Pat McGrath purchases in the Black Friday sale last year and was so impressed I couldn’t resist her latest sale last month. I got a bundle of the first three mothership palettes, subliminal, sublime and subversive. I found the colour stories to be appealing but a little bit intimidating at first especially compared to the more everyday and wearable colour stories of the previous two palettes I bought, divine rose I and bronze seduction.

They’re not colours that I would usually go for however I’ve been playing around with them for the past two weeks and have found them to be far more usable and wearable than my first impressions. I incorporated the deep blue shimmer shade from the subliminal palette into my eye look today and I’m still blown away at how much the colours when applied actually look like the colours in the palette, actually most of them even look better when applied. Normally I would have avoided shades like the deep blue as they tend to look muddy on me especially when blended out and not much like the original shade but this was so pigmented and vibrant.

I’ve never had so many compliments on my eye makeup since I started using her shadows and to be fair I’m not the best at application or working out cohesive eye looks but the special shades are definitely eye catching! There are four “special’ shades in each mothership palette apart from decadence. They have different finishes to the other six matte and shimmer shades. There are duo/triochromes, some almost like a wet foil look and textured shades, hard to describe without seeing them in person and photos don’t do them justice either.

I have to ask are they worth the price. She's a brand I refuse to pay the money for. I'd want a mua to come with the price

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Segotias wrote: »
    I have to ask are they worth the price. She's a brand I refuse to pay the money for. I'd want a mua to come with the price

I wouldn’t pay the full price for them, €130 is crazy money for a ten pan palette or even to fork out for any palette! The site has a sale every few months, usually 25 or 30 percent off. There are often reduced bundles as well which you can use the discount code on. So normally the three palettes I bought would have cost €390 but they were reduced in a bundle together for €305 and with the 25 percent off last month it brought them down to 230 or about €77 each, still pricey though (all taxes/customs are included, free shipping can sometimes be included too but isn’t too expensive otherwise).

If you’re more into mattes I wouldn’t bother with them, as there’s only three shades per palette. I also wouldn’t buy the 6 pan palettes as they don’t seem to be up to the same standard as the mothership palettes. Some of the four pan palettes seem to be worth a look though. If you have some money to burn they are some of the best palettes out there but they definitively aren’t worth it for everyone, I’ve seen very believable dupes from more inexpensive brands, some even getting close enough to matching the special shades however I just personally like the artistry and quality of the shades she’s put together in each palette, she knows what works!

I’m also a big fan of Natasha Denona and would recommend her palettes if you haven’t tried them. Again I wouldn’t pay out for her full size palettes as they are €100+ or even €200+ for her largest palettes but the midi 15 pan palettes are around €65, they’re actually reduced at the moment on feelunique to under €60. I have the glam, bronze, sunrise and love ones and I love her formula too, very pretty shimmers and great mattes to work with. The pans are also magnetic so can be popped out and rearranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I bought Kevin Murphy shampoo.
    Unfortunately did nothing for my hair only made it dry.
    Will try Redken and revert back.:)

Oh going on yere Nak reviews might just get that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Bought this set recently on Boots as Becca are being discontined and I had tried the backlight primer from Lookfantastic recently and liked it!

https://www.boots.ie/sale/becca-light-up-the-party-kit-10287839

The Backlight primer on its own is 36 and the C pop highlighter which i love is 39 so its brill value for 45 for the set.

I like the matte side of the eyeshadow thing too - the glitter bit is a bit much for me but would highly recommend this set - surprised its still in stock tbh.

Saw lots of good deals on Pestle and Mortar this weekend so repurchased the hylauranic serum which was reduced on Goldens Pharmacy (its on offer in a good few places for 34ish) - with a P&M fee exfoliant if you spent over 50. I picked up the glow drops which I am really hoping don't break me out. They were pricey at 38 but should last ages (LL15 is 15% off for the full price stuff).

Also picked up a mini of the Tan Luxe drops on Asos when they had a discount so will compare!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Thanks for the link for that Becca bundle, it arrived this morning so of course I’m sitting here with a full face done and nowhere to go!

Backlight primer is lovely and shadows are quite nice too! Will see how they wear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I picked up Rimmel Lasting Finish foundation when I was waiting on my Mac Studio Fix to arrive, and it's honestly just as good. I'm amazed. I was almost gonna return my Mac one when it came, but I'm gonna keep it for special occasions (or if we ever get a night out again) cause it does be great in photos. The Rimmel one is a third of the price so def worth trying. I'm NW13 in studio fix and I got Ivory 100 in the Rimmel one.

Also, I got that "5 second eyes" cream trio from that Upcosmetics line, but wouldn't recommend it unless you wear a lot of make up with it or it just looks too much - the glitter goes all over the place and it's more like something you'd wear on a night out IMO. I was losing me mind trying to get all the glitter off my face. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

I picked up Rimmel Lasting Finish foundation when I was waiting on my Mac Studio Fix to arrive, and it's honestly just as good. I'm amazed. I was almost gonna return my Mac one when it came, but I'm gonna keep it for special occasions (or if we ever get a night out again) cause it does be great in photos. The Rimmel one is a third of the price so def worth trying. I'm NW13 in studio fix and I got Ivory 100 in the Rimmel one.

Also, I got that "5 second eyes" cream trio from that Upcosmetics line, but wouldn't recommend it unless you wear a lot of make up with it or it just looks too much - the glitter goes all over the place and it's more like something you'd wear on a night out IMO. I was losing me mind trying to get all the glitter off my face. ��

I also got 5 second eyes and although I love the colours I find they don’t last and crease quite easily. I’ve had to reapply during the day to make them look decent ! I’ve used eye shadow primer too but it hasn’t helped !

Neera wrote: »
    I also got 5 second eyes and although I love the colours I find they don’t last and crease quite easily. I’ve had to reapply during the day to make them look decent ! I’ve used eye shadow primer too but it hasn’t helped !

I did love the colours until I actually put them on. I didn't leave them on long enough to see how long they last though.:pac:
    I really think they should have been marketed more as a very glam look rather than a quick everyday "5 second" eye makeup.

Also, update on my Rimmel Vs Studio Fix - my normal Studio Fix came yesterday and I put it on to see if there really was much of a difference, and ended up taking it off and wearing the Rimmel instead! I think it's a consistency thing more than anything, the Rimmel one is much less drying on my skin, but I'd just got so used to Studio Fix I never realised it. I might try mixing them to see what that's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Definitely not “5 second eyes” takes a bit longer to blend and work the colours, definitely think the marketing was a bit off lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Looking in my drawer I found a tinted spf face cream from Penneys that I bought last year. I’ll confess I’m not great at wearing spf daily so I thought this would be handy for popping on and would give a little life to my face seeing as I’m home and not wearing makeup.

It looked grubby after a few hours and you could see where it hadn’t been carefully blended along my jawline. It’s a pity because it would have been handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Kendall Jenner Hairdryer ...not very happy it tangles my hair ...

Gonna wait till lockdown ends and buy a new one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I bought the Sculpted Second Skin Foundation in Dewy and have been trying it for a few days but I'm really not sure about it! I feel like I'm not getting enough coverage from it, I find it hard to blend out without losing coverage, I really don't know. Maybe it's going to be my "good skin day" foundation but tbh for that I'm happy with my L'Oreal True Match. I dunno!
    Absolutely love her Brighten Up concealer though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Has anyone tried the Luna by Lisa Air Brush filter, I think its a dupe for the CT Flawless filter and i'd be intrigued to know if its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Bought the Semi di Lino diamond shampoo and conditioner after my hairdresser recommended it, find it makes my hair very flat and greasey in comparison to Tresemme. Very disappointed ☹

Recently bought Maybelline new 30 Hr foundation - huge no no for dry skin, looks flakely and cakey straight away.

Does anyone have any good long wearing satin lipstick recommendations? I use L'Oréal colour riche but dont find it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Sir_Name wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Luna by Lisa Air Brush filter, I think its a dupe for the CT Flawless filter and i'd be intrigued to know if its worth it.

Saw v detailled review on insta from Karla K and the Beautiful Truth.

The BT said that it was a completely different product so might be worth saving your pennies if you want the real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Does anyone have any good long wearing satin lipstick recommendations? I use L'Oréal colour riche but dont find it lasts.

I don't really know as I'm more of a matte girl and I think by nature most satin formulas won't be that long wearing, but you might try something like MAC Prep & Prime Lip under it, or UD setting spray over it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for Mac Prep and Prime for lips, great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Thank you both I actually just purchased the Mac Prep and Prime Skin today, so will see how that goes.

I was anxious of Mattes as my lips are quite dry however I also got Mac Tropic Thunder in a mini size so will see how that goes 😊

Heads up peeps I got a call from my hairdressers yesterday to book me in for May 17th cause they think they'll be opening then. They said if it's a week earlier or later they'll just move the apts up or back a week, but they think it's gonna be that week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Faith in Nature solid shampoo bar gave me dandruff for the first time ever :mad: Just going to use it as soap and for shaving now, have given it a good enough go in the hair and it's not working for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've never bought any beauty products from Dealz before but I did pick up a Shea butter hand mask the other day for €1.50 and I was very pleasantly surprised.

You pop the gloves on for 20 mins and then rub the excess cream in.

My hands felt lovely and soft afterwards.
    Definitely be buying it again. Such a bargain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

fussyonion wrote: »
    I've never bought any beauty products from Dealz before but I did pick up a Shea butter hand mask the other day for €1.50 and I was very pleasantly surprised.

You pop the gloves on for 20 mins and then rub the excess cream in.

My hands felt lovely and soft afterwards.
    Definitely be buying it again. Such a bargain too.

Oh that sounds good.My hands are drying out awfully from all the hand sanitiser.
    Only so much I can expect my normal hand creams to do.

Advertisement