Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

gibgodsman wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be an option to contact customer care on their website, is there a number I can ring?

Click on "customer care" on the website and chat to the bot, you will get connected to a person. Type in "connect to agent"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

isn't there an option to change delivery address on the bottom?
    Its delivery method when you go to Track Package

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

He rang upon delivery and was willing to change delivery and deliver to me now at home instead, much better than dealing with AnPost tbh, and no there was no option to talk to a chat bot or call anyone, its a Sunday so Amazon customer care are not working or won't allow Irish customers to contact them

and no there was no option to talk to a chat bot or call anyone, its a Sunday so Amazon customer care are not working or won't allow Irish customers to contact them

Of course there is, and they do.

Of course there is, and they do.

Why try say I am lying when you don't actually know what your talking about?

LxnpkcE.png

Same for every single option, but keep talking how I am wrong....

• Advertisement

“For the issue you selected” :rolleyes:

On the app I clicked "customer care" then "contact us" and got straight to the chat bot. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

VG31 wrote: »
    Contact Amazon via the chat and tell them An Post won't take it because batteries are prohibited. They should be able to give you a UPS label.

Did this in the end, they decided to just give me the refund without having to return the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Snow Crash

One thing I noticed is that if you want to avail of free shipping from Amazon.de your order has to be at least 40 Euros whereas Amazon UK offers free delivery on orders above 20 Euros.
    I'm about to spend €100+ on some items from Amazon.de all sold by Amazon but it says shipping will be around €14 to Ireland. Is it free for you because your a prime member or because you were buying books or small items?

Amazon.de are offering me a free 30 day prime trial but I thought it was useless for Irish customers because we're not listed in the free delivery regions like Germany, Austria Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dgallagher_73

Snow Crash wrote: »
    I'm about to spend €100+ on some items from Amazon.de all sold by Amazon but it says shipping will be around €14 to Ireland. Is it free for you because your a prime member or because you were buying books or small items?

Amazon.de are offering me a free 30 day prime trial but I thought it was useless for Irish customers because we're not listed in the free delivery regions like Germany, Austria Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
    I believe I got my information from this link here: https://www.amazon.de/b?ie=UTF8&node=12019432031

To answer your question, no I'm not a prime member I just assumed that Ireland would be on the list for free shipping for items over 40 Euros based on the link I provided.
    I might be wrong though considering that you seem to be required to pay 14 Euro shipping on an item that costs over 100 Euros.

May I ask is the item in question coming from an Amazon warehouse or from a third party seller? Usually you cannot avail of free shipping for items from third party sellers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭corkie

I believe I got my information from this link here: https://www.amazon.de/b?ie=UTF8&node=12019432031

"Amazon customers from the Czech Republic, Denmark, Sweden and Finland can now enjoy Free Standard Delivery on tens of millions of items on qualifying orders over 39 EUR when shopping on www.amazon.de."

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Snow Crash

To answer your question, no I'm not a prime member I just assumed that Ireland would be on the list for free shipping for items over 40 Euros based on the link I provided.
    I might be wrong though considering that you seem to be required to pay 14 Euro shipping on an item that costs over 100 Euros.

May I ask is the item in question coming from an Amazon warehouse or from a third party seller? Usually you cannot avail of free shipping for items from third party sellers...
    Nope all items are direct from amazon. I think the link you provided says it only covers certain European countries whereas I just found the page that specified Irish delivery fees by weight... LINK

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

There's no way of getting free delivery to Ireland on Amazon.de. The minimum delivery charge is €7.50, except for a few categories like books and DVDs which is €5 minimum.

“For the issue you selected” :rolleyes:

I literally said I tried every option
    Caranica wrote: »
    On the app I clicked "customer care" then "contact us" and got straight to the chat bot. Simple as that.

Your on the UK app, it literally says it at the top

I literally said I tried every option

Your on the UK app, it literally says it at the top

As in I have Amazon UK open as opposed to Germany or Italy which I also use via the app. Changed it to .de and got the same options

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

I am returning a couple of items and notice I am not being refunded the import charges. For the item today that is 60GBP. I assume Irish government has charged this but I am no longer keeping the item as it is a fake dangerous crap Chinese rip off. Device is a 287GBP device plus the import taxes.

Do we now need to contact customs to get a refund of the import fee's?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Captcha wrote: »
    I am returning a couple of items and notice I am not being refunded the import charges. For the item today that is 60GBP. I assume Irish government has charged this but I am no longer keeping the item as it is a fake dangerous crap Chinese rip off. Device is a 287GBP device plus the import taxes.

Do we now need to contact customs to get a refund of the import fee's?

Amazon are responsible for collecting tax, so you need to go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

whiterebel wrote: »
    Amazon are responsible for collecting tax, so you need to go back to them.

Will check with them, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Is this the import fees that Amazon charged, or were you charged on delivery? I returned something to Amazon 2 weeks ago and the import fees were listed and included on the return. If you paid the courier, An Post or Revenue directly, then you need to go to Revenue for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Can't understand why people don't just change their Amazon uk account to a European one..I changed to Amazon, de and thankfully no issue with anything Brexit related..it's time for all of us living in Ireland to look beyond the uk.
    And save money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Import duties are due when goods are imported into the EU. The liability is the importer's - i.e. you. In practice the import duties may be paid on your behalf, and then recovered from you (typically with a handling charge added) either by the seller (e.g. Amazon) or by the carrier who actually imports them (e.g. DHL).

In certain circumstances you can recover import duties that have been paid, but you have to satisfy the Revenue that that the duty was paid in the first place, that circumstances to justify a refund exist, that the goods have been reexported from the EU, etc. It's all a bit of a palaver.

In principle the carrier who paid the duty for you can also recover it for you and then refund you, but they are generally reluctant. As they see it, it's a lot of work, and it's not their fault that the goods sent to you were not as you expected, but instead were a heap of junk. So why should they bear the cost of dealing with the consequences of what is basically a dispute between you and the seller? So you may find it easier to approach Revenue yourself.

Revenue has a web page which outlines the process and includes a link with contact details for further information, so I'd start there.

If DHL (or whoever) added a handling charge for paying the import duty on your behalf, you probably won't get that back. That was payment for a service which they did in fact provide, so they won't see why should they refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Import duties are due when goods are imported into the EU. The liability is the importer's - i.e. you. In practice the import duties may be paid on your behalf, and then recovered from you (typically with a handling charge added) either by the seller (e.g. Amazon) or by the carrier who actually imports them (e.g. DHL).

In certain circumstances you can recover import duties that have been paid, but you have to satisfy the Revenue that that the duty was paid in the first place, that circumstances to justify a refund exist, that the goods have been reexported from the EU, etc. It's all a bit of a palaver.

In principle the carrier who paid the duty for you can also recover it for you and then refund you, but they are generally reluctant. As they see it, it's a lot of work, and it's not their fault that the goods sent to you were not as you expected, but instead were a heap of junk. So why should they bear the cost of dealing with the consequences of what is basically a dispute between you and the seller? So you may find it easier to approach Revenue yourself.

Revenue has a web page which outlines the process and includes a link with contact details for further information, so I'd start there.

If DHL (or whoever) added a handling charge for paying the import duty on your behalf, you probably won't get that back. That was payment for a service which they did in fact provide, so they won't see why should they refund you.

Is collecting VAT on behalf of a service by (DHL) payment for a service? I thought the VAT went to revenue. If DHL are collecting the VAT and " handling " Charge then they should facilitate the return of the VAT? Maybe it should be down to revenue to make it easier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The courier does a customs entry, pays out the VAT from their account, and then sends it on to revenue at the end of the month. This is why they charge a service charge on imports. They would then be the ones to do a claim for refund in the event of a re-export of the goods.

The courier does a customs entry, pays out the VAT from their account, and then sends it on to revenue at the end of the month. This is why they charge a service charge on imports. They would then be the ones to do a claim for refund in the event of a re-export of the goods.

Thanks for that. DHL warn of a €50 handling fee just to facilitate the return of VAT. Even though the VAT is a lot less than that amount. People need to think twice about buying stuff from UK if they have to return it. Got badly stung myself.

A lot of people seem to expect companies to work for free to facilitate their buying. These companies have to employ people, train them, purchase licences, software etc before someone sits down at a computer to do entries. €15.00 is reasonable considering the costs the commercial companies pay, which can be 3-4 times more than that, and a lot would have multi-header entries which you pay per extra commodity.
    In fact I don't understand An Post's stand on this, dropping the cost from €10 to 3.50. They will quite happily lump increases on to stamps for the rest of us, but decrease their charges on what would normally be a smaller part of the operation.
    When I import from outside the EU I expect to pay charges, and in the €10-15 range its reasonable.

Returns now have to be done in reverse, and are time consuming, so they are going to charge accordingly.

A lot of people seem to expect companies to work for free to facilitate their buying. These companies have to employ people, train them, purchase licences, software etc before someone sits down at a computer to do entries. €15.00 is reasonable considering the costs the commercial companies pay, which can be 3-4 times more than that, and a lot would have multi-header entries which you pay per extra commodity.
    In fact I don't understand An Post's stand on this, dropping the cost from €10 to 3.50. They will quite happily lump increases on to stamps for the rest of us, but decrease their charges on what would normally be a smaller part of the operation.
    When I import from outside the EU I expect to pay charges, and in the €10-15 range its reasonable.

Returns now have to be done in reverse, and are time consuming, so they are going to charge accordingly.

When you speak of returns, what did you mean? Do you mean the cost of returning the item or do you mean the return of VAT to the customer?

Return of VAT to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is collecting VAT on behalf of a service by (DHL) payment for a service? I thought the VAT went to revenue. If DHL are collecting the VAT and " handling " Charge then they should facilitate the return of the VAT? Maybe it should be down to revenue to make it easier.
    Complying with your tax obligations is your responsibility, not the Revenue's. So in dealing with this matter DHL or other couriers are acting for you, not for the Revenue, which is why you, and not the Revenue, pay their fee for doing this.

One possibility is that the courier could charge a uniform fee to all customers covering the cost of (a) paying the import duty and (b) reclaiming it, in those cases where a reclaim becomes possible. Effectively, the cost of reclaiming import duty would be shared by all importers equally, both those who made a reclaim and those who did not. Customers might prefer this — or, of course, they might not, since presumably the fee would be higher.

A second possibility would be for the couriers to offer two fees - a lower fee to cover paying duty only, and a higher fee to cover paying duty and making any reclaim that might arise.

If you're arranging your own imports, my guess is that these options, and others, are available. But if you're buying from Amazon or similar, you're buying a package deal in which you don't get to negotiate the courier arrangements; they are arranged by the seller or the seller's agents. That's convenient, but it restricts your choice. Up to you to decide if you like that trade-off.

By contrast, when I buy on Aliexpress I am typically offered a range of differently-priced courier options. The website defaults to the cheapest option, but there is an opportunity to change that. The decision is mostly a trade-off between cost and speed of delivery, and that is the only information provided by the website to enable you to choose between different couriers and different levels of service. But there's nothing to stop me researching the courier offerings directly, to see how the different couriers would deal with something like a refund, and making a choice based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

Anyone any experience returning items to non .co.uk amazon domains? I've to return a big item to amazon.it and put the label on and an post wanted 70quid. Would I get this back? I had to email amazon as there reps don't speak English.

Nope. They hardly refund any postage fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Anyone any experience returning items to non .co.uk amazon domains? I've to return a big item to amazon.it and put the label on and an post wanted 70quid. Would I get this back? I had to email amazon as there reps don't speak English.

Contact customer care by live chat.
    Try get a label for anpost.

Amazon may say they will reemburse you for the post if you cant get prepaid label but my experience with this is you have to chase them up and they conveniently forget

Advertisement