Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not Ben Affleck, but the Matt Reeves helmed film, with Robert Pattinson in the lead looks to be playing it "real world" again, with a very grungy serial killer vibe.

But even after Affleck left they could have tied it in into dceu canon and for some mad reason, decided not to.
    It's a shame because they could have set right all their wrongs here in that, as per mcu, we know that the films don't always have to be released in chronological order, so we could have had a two films showing batmans descent into the broken old man in bvs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But even after Affleck left they could have tied it in into dceu canon and for some mad reason, decided not to.
    It's a shame because they could have set right all their wrongs here in that, as per mcu, we know that the films don't always have to be released in chronological order, so we could have had a two films showing batmans descent into the broken old man in bvs.

Maybe, but if there's one superhero who arguably excels in being alone in his own universe, it's Batman. To the point I'd almost say his impact is lessened if somewhere past the Gotham city limits lives Superman, Wonder Woman etc. His is the preeminent rogues gallery, full of interesting characters, and batman has the most tonally / thematically flexible status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This movie would probably be an hour less if they just put everything that's in slow motion into normal speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I always find it amusing that they use slow motion to show what's supposed to be high speeds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I definitely think Batman is one of the weak links in this film. The filmmakers and writers go out of their way to make him a near invincible character who uses tech to withstand the same sort of massive punishment as his super-powered mates. I know that’s a take with its origins in the comic, but I think it fatally sands down a lot of the character’s humanity and vulnerability in the process. The Avengers films have the same power imbalance film with a couple of its characters, but they seem to handle it better than here.

But I guess even bigger than that is there’s no real perspective on the character here. It carries on the brooding of BvS but without the sense of determined, obsessive focus that the character’s given in that film. Affleck is barely present and IMO just a wholly uncharismatic and uninteresting Wayne / Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I definitely think Batman is one of the weak links in this film. The filmmakers and writers go out of their way to make him a near invincible character who uses tech to withstand the same sort of massive punishment as his super-powered mates. I know that’s a take with its origins in the comic, but I think it fatally sands down a lot of the character’s humanity and vulnerability in the process. The Avengers films have the same power imbalance film with a couple of its characters, but they seem to hand it better than here.

But I guess even bigger than that is there’s no real perspective on the character here. It carries on the brooding of BvS but without the sense of determined, obsessive focus that the character’s given in that film. Affleck is barely present and IMO just a wholly uncharismatic and uninteresting Wayne / Batman.

Frustratingly, WB keep refusing to make him a detective. He's supposed to be the "World's Greatest Detective" and maybe only once on The Dark Knight could I recall him using some detection skills. Otherwise he's just a rich guy playing cosplay. That Pattinson led teaser hints that maybe we'll see some of those smarts, but I'd be unsurprised if the studio insist on reshoots for action set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I always find it amusing that they use slow motion to show what's supposed to be high speeds.

Well, if they showed it speeded up it would look like Benny Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

To be honest I liked the physics of Flash's powers and the use of slow motion to accentuate them. The whole thing of time slowing around him as opposed to him ripping through normal time was well done and unique...well for me anyway. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, if they showed it speeded up it would look like Benny Hill.

They have a version of Quiksilver in the breakout kitchen scene from Days of Future Past, what the scene looks like at normal speed. It looks like zero craic basically, they randomly move and then fall over. It's nice to see what everyone else does but for a movie scene it would be rubbish.

This said the Flash scenes seem inconsistent (to me) in their style but that could just be the colour saturation in the darker environments. The bit with the car crash near the start, while silly it explodes etc, shows off how careful he has to be not to hurt people as he does it, it was a clever touch.

I'm ignoring the issues with his comments on metabolism and then elsewhere it is space moving around him not him being super fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To be honest I liked the physics of Flash's powers and the use of slow motion to accentuate them. The whole thing of time slowing around him as opposed to him ripping through normal time was well done and unique...well for me anyway. ;)

Kind of like how Gustin's Barry had it explained to him, when he first woke up post lightning bolt, he was moving so fast that the world around him was slowed down. I think that's how it went...

Actually that's another question, I'm assuming Ezra's Barry meeting Gustin's Barry, and Gustin's Flash giving Ezra his superhero moniker in the TV Crisis On Infinite Earths be canon to the long awaited upcoming Flash film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jez, I guess it’s true what they say about giving people an inch. I see RestoreTheSnyderVerse is a thing now. Honestly, I don’t get this.

ZSJL has been an unequivocal success and Snyder's best work to date. It’s not often people get to humiliate their bosses while vindicating themselves and that’s exactly what ZS has done.

I don’t see why he’d even want to continue now. Take the win, enjoy the plaudits and move on.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Jez, I guess it’s true what they say about giving people an inch. I see RestoreTheSnyderVerse is a thing now. Honestly, I don’t get this.

ZSJL has been an unequivocal success and Snyder's best work to date. It’s not often people get to humiliate their bosses while vindicating themselves and that’s exactly what ZS has done.

I don’t see why he’d even want to continue now. Take the win, enjoy the plaudits and move on.

RestoreTheSnyderVerse has been a thing used in combo with ReleaseTheSnyderCut since before movie released

Well according to a Variety article anyways, Snyder is seemingly done.
    WarnerMedia CEO Ann Sarnoff says that the release of “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” will complete the director’s superhero trilogy, reinforcing the studio’s desire to move past the social media campaign to hand back control of the DC film universe to the filmmaker.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kind of like how Gustin's Barry had it explained to him, when he first woke up post lightning bolt, he was moving so fast that the world around him was slowed down. I think that's how it went...

Actually that's another question, I'm assuming Ezra's Barry meeting Gustin's Barry, and Gustin's Flash giving Ezra his superhero moniker in the TV Crisis On Infinite Earths be canon to the long awaited upcoming Flash film

Would be nice if they returned the favour to Grant, he deserves it even if the show has outstayed its welcome.

As for the Restore movement, it was inevitable I think. I'm cool with the movement as long as they keep it reasonable but they're already pushing it hijacking marketing for Godzilla vs Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

If only we could get a twitter campaign for the Gareth Evans Deathstroke movie. Really wish we could have seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

We saw WW use lightening speed to deflect bullets and it was a little goofy.

Would be nice if they returned the favour to Grant, he deserves it even if the show has outstayed its welcome.

As for the Restore movement, it was inevitable I think. I'm cool with the movement as long as they keep it reasonable but they're already pushing it hijacking marketing for Godzilla vs Kong.

I think they will, but him appearing is dependent on the show taking a break, long enough that he can leave, go to England, film his cameo part, come back/quarantine - Then resume production on the TV show. Scratch Gustin going to England, turns out The Flash film is filming in Toronto.

Or alternatively just use the footage from Crisis On Infinite Earths.

The Restore movement just need to accept it just ain't gonna happen. Stop hijacking other Warner films marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I can sort of understand the slow Mo there at least, but the first hour of introducing characters is just slow motion all over the place.

Aquaman on the pier was about 40 seconds of slow motion waves crashing and his hair moving. Had one for Wonder woman too, cyborg on the football pitch, Flash and the car crash etc. It got a bit too much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,284 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I definitely think Batman is one of the weak links in this film. The filmmakers and writers go out of their way to make him a near invincible character who uses tech to withstand the same sort of massive punishment as his super-powered mates. I know that’s a take with its origins in the comic, but I think it fatally sands down a lot of the character’s humanity and vulnerability in the process. The Avengers films have the same power imbalance film with a couple of its characters, but they seem to handle it better than here.

One of the things from the Whedon version that I missed was Batman being more of a mentor to Flash. I think that's where Batman could have played a much bigger part in this film. Not with power, but with experience. Teaching Barry and Cyborg, teaching them all how to be a team, teaching them to learn from his past mistakes.
    We saw WW use lightening speed to deflect bullets and it was a little goofy.

In fairness I think the reason it looked goofy wasn't just that she was moving so fast, but she was moving so fast on her hunkers, which was just really odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what the time btw Sup's death and resurrection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I don't think it's ever explicitly stated but going to assume a few months, for 2 reasons - they're still flying the black Superman banner in the London shot to commemorate his death, and Snyder has stated in post-film interviews this week that Lois in JL is pregnant - this isn't very obvious in the film from her figure so I can't imagine too much time has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A friend of mine pointed this out to me, I parked my brain at the door but he pointed out the huge time lapse issues. Suddenly its ages but then all the markers seem to imply its a fortnight, and then its 3 months, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Watched this over a couple of evenings, thought it was a decent enough film and far more coherent than the Whedon version. Thought the 4 hour running time went by fairly quickly, helped by having the movie divided into chapters to take breaks.

Not too sure I want to see the epilogue expanded into a sequel though, it serves as a glimpse into what might have been I suppose.

If you compare it to its Marvel counterpart, Avengers Infinity War, I’d put Snyders Justice League as the better of the two movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wow they have absolute morons running Warner Bros, no more Snyder verse. Ayer cut of Suicide Squade gone. Future movies will be standalone not linked in anyway(they don't want to copy the Marvel model). Very similar to Kathleen Kennedy messing up the Star Wars universe.

Wedwood wrote: »
    Not too sure I want to see the epilogue expanded into a sequel though, it serves as a glimpse into what might have been I suppose.

That entire epilogue should have hit the cutting room floor.

WB say they won't be releasing the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad and in doing so are saying there is an Ayer cut.

^
    TBH, what little triumph there is in the Snyder cut of 'Justice League' certainly doesn't warrant anything from 'Suicide Squad'. I cannot imagine anything that could be done with that movie to make it a good one.

Suicide Squad was a monstrosity of a film and Ayer was there from start to finish so I really don't see it improving much no matter how many cuts of the film they have.

Snyder didn't get to finish his film due to tragic circumstances and his cut did deserved a chance to get seen for that reason alone especially after what Whedon did to his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

I do not want to see anymore of Jared Leto's Joker so please, WB, do the right thing and do not release any cut of The Suicide Squad.

Deadshot? May as well just rename the character Will Smith.
    Margot Robbie is fine as Harley Quinn but, not too interested in seeing her again

Could care less about the rest of the characters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Future movies will be standalone not linked in anyway(they don't want to copy the Marvel model). Very similar to Kathleen Kennedy messing up the Star Wars universe.

It's a shame, as the Marvel model works - whether WB like it or not. These characters in the comics were never all standalone, you always had the teams like X-men and Avengers, then standalone titles where they all got together. It's those dynamics as an ensemble that elevated the comics and characters to something else.

Snyder's ensemble work may not have been for everyone, but regardless of that there is a hunger out there to see the characters together and bouncing off each other. Joker was great and I'm sure Matt Reeves' take on Batman will be brilliant (going by his previous work), but I also feel like WB are missing a huge beat by only going down the solo film route.

• Advertisement

WB say they won't be releasing the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad and in doing so are saying there is an Ayer cut.

I read that interview and it's another tone deaf piece of PR from Warner Media. They're asking for trouble with the timing of it.

Advertisement