Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to find information on Irish Rail website - help needed!

Options
  • 20-03-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My wife and I are returning to Ireland from the UK. We need to be closer to her elderly mother in Westmeath and we are looking at buying a house in either Westmeath or one of the surrounding counties.

Neither of us drive (at the moment) but we intend to buy a car and learn to drive ASAP. In the meantime, public transport is important for us and we have been looking at train information. Unfortunately, the Irish Rail website is as bad as it was when we left Ireland nearly 20 years ago. Trying to find information can be impossible sometimes.

I want to find out the cost of train fares. From what I can make out the only way to get cheaper train fares is with a Leap card on Dublin or Cork commuter services. I have not been able to find out what is classed as a Dublin commuter service and no matter of searching on their website has been a help.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Well. it's only 20 years since you left Ireland - do you really expect CIE to have sorted out their website? When God made time, he made plenty of it. Anyway, sorry I can't help you but no doubt someone will be along to supply the required information shortly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Dart and Commuter rail info here

Fare finder for Dublin here

Leapcard top-up and use here

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Dart and Commuter rail info here

Fare finder for Dublin here

Leapcard top-up and use here

Thanks for those links, unfortunately, it required quite a bit of jumping around to find the information.

This link HERE suggests that trains to places like Dundalk, Longford and Portlaoise are classed as Dublin commuter lines.

This link HERE
    mentions fares within individual zones, but gives no information as to what those zones are.

This link HERE states that "TFI Leap Card can be used on DART and commuter services in Dublin and Cork."

Which suggests that it can only be used on trains that are actually in Dublin.

Finally came to this link HERE
    which says "leap can TFI Leap Card can be used to pay for travel in Dublin and its surrounding counties on the following services:........All DART & Commuter Rail services within the Dublin area “Short-Hop zone”"

Thanks for the links guys. Such a shame that this information isn't easier to find, and written in a way that isn't so ambigious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thanks for those links, unfortunately, it required quite a bit of jumping around to find the information.

This link HERE suggests that trains to places like Dundalk, Longford and Portlaoise are classed as Dublin commuter lines.

This link HERE
    mentions fares within individual zones, but gives no information as to what those zones are.

This link HERE states that "TFI Leap Card can be used on DART and commuter services in Dublin and Cork."

Which suggests that it can only be used on trains that are actually in Dublin.

Finally came to this link HERE
    which says "leap can TFI Leap Card can be used to pay for travel in Dublin and its surrounding counties on the following services:........All DART & Commuter Rail services within the Dublin area “Short-Hop zone”"

Thanks for the links guys. Such a shame that this information isn't easier to find, and written in a way that isn't so ambigious.

markpb gave you the direct link with map from the Irishrail website.

If you said what town/s rather than county/s you need transport for then you might get better advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Vic_08 wrote: »
    markpb gave you the direct link with map from the Irishrail website.

If you said what town/s rather than county/s you need transport for then you might get better advice.

I was trying to explain the information on that map appears contradictory to information elsewhere on the same site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

My wife and I are returning to Ireland from the UK. We need to be closer to her elderly mother in Westmeath and we are looking at buying a house in either Westmeath or one of the surrounding counties.

Neither of us drive (at the moment) but we intend to buy a car and learn to drive ASAP. In the meantime, public transport is important for us and we have been looking at train information. Unfortunately, the Irish Rail website is as bad as it was when we left Ireland nearly 20 years ago. Trying to find information can be impossible sometimes.

I want to find out the cost of train fares. From what I can make out the only way to get cheaper train fares is with a Leap card on Dublin or Cork commuter services. I have not been able to find out what is classed as a Dublin commuter service and no matter of searching on their website has been a help.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find this?

It's not the website. All the info is there for you . Leap card is valid in the short hop zone. .if you are in westmeath then kilcock is the limit on that line.and sallins and naas on the athlone line. The leap card wont cover you outside of those limits if you plan on commuting in and out of Dublin from the athlone area.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's not the website. All the info is there for you . Leap card is valid in the short hop zone. .if you are in westmeath then kilcock is the limit on that line.and sallins and naas on the athlone line. The leap card wont cover you outside of those limits if you plan on commuting in and out of Dublin from the athlone area.

@Hilly Bill, a few questions you might know the answer to-

are "split tickets" still outlawed and how could you tap in in Kilcock without the train leaving you behind and would a combination of tickets be cheaper anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yep , you need to buy a ticket straight through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd make more sense to fix any cases where a split ticket saves money instead of banning it - I've frequently done it in the UK, primarily with a football ticket travel pass that had a boundary and buying a ticket to/from the edge station only; but also on longer cross country trips. It's allowed there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement