Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Train station chargers

• 16-03-2021 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Beside Colbert Train Station Limerick

Edit: apologies not live. Not sure who the supplier is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 encorton

Jofspring wrote: »
    Beside Colbert Train Station Limerick

Edit: apologies not live. Not sure who the supplier is.

I think this has to do with Irish Rail looking for companies to tender for the installation of a few fast charge points in a couple cities. I don't think they are ESB since all of the chargers that I have seen come branded... another plastic card to add to the wallet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1 million percent not eCars as it's 4 spaces marked out... looks like the chargers will charge 2 cars at once on CCS/CHAdeMO/AC

for Taxi's perhaps (not solely for Taxi's of course, but certainly a nugget to lure more EV taxi's...)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you plug in here though and head off for the day on the train, will it not create "charger hogging"?

1 million percent not eCars as it's 4 spaces marked out... looks like the chargers will charge 2 cars at once on CCS/CHAdeMO/AC

for Taxi's perhaps (not solely for Taxi's of course, but certainly a nugget to lure more EV taxi's...)

I don't know what to say to be honest.
    Most taxis in Limerick are imported Priuses with the occasional ICE but never seen an electric and unless they bring some massive grants towards taxi drivers I don't see them paying 15-20K+ on an EV that doesn't need charging every 130km :D
    yop wrote: »
    If you plug in here though and head off for the day on the train, will it not create "charger hogging"?

Most likely free parking when charging and fee per hour afterwards with a limit of up to X hours with some fine if you break that number of hours?

encorton wrote: »
    Most taxis in Limerick are imported Priuses with the occasional ICE but never seen an electric and unless they bring some massive grants towards taxi drivers I don't see them paying 15-20K+ on an EV that doesn't need charging every 130km :D

Didn't they announce a grant of up to €20,000 for taxi drivers to switch to EV?

Kona will do 500km before it needs a recharge, as will a LR Model 3 (city driving).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah Andy, have you been inside a Kona, it's tiny, same with boot, wouldn't be able for any decent sized group with bags

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

yop wrote: »

The chargers in the photo are DC fast chargers so you'd typically only plug in for a few minutes. I think they're going to be limited to taxi drivers who can charge while waiting for a fare. Some train stations have 7kW AC chargers which are intended for people who are taking the train and will be away (while charging) for several hours. There's no problem hogging those because they're meant for long-stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭innrain

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-rail-seeks-operator-for-electric-vehicle-fast-charging-points-at-stations-1.4507790

It looks a bit backwards to install the chargers then to look for someone to administer. Maybe is just a compliance thing and the company is already selected. There is nothing on the gov tender website so it may take some time until they go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats exactly what they've done... €20k grant
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/dbd5d-15m-scrappage-scheme-now-available-to-taxi-drivers-who-go-electric/

Plenty BEV's can now do more on one charge (300km+) than a tyical taxi driver would need to cover in a day.

Some taxi ranks in the UK have been able to manage on Gen 1 Leaf's for years now so todays EV's with the massive grant should be a no brainer for most taxi drivers.

And then with the future already here now, and everyone ordering their taxi's off apps etc... when the jobs come up on the taxi (driver) apps, they'll see what the round trip distance will be, and whether they have the range remaining to take the job or not - or if they have the time before the job, to get a quick top up at a taxi only fast charger..

The Kona might be small inside yes, but if it's simply taking folks home every night from the towns/cities, it'd be fine...

AK_cmfd_1402.jpg

Either way there's just so much choice out there now it'd be a no brainer for any taxi driver.... how much is that new MG EV?

Another carrot to lure over the drivers would be free charging at these airport/train station chargers......

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Thats exactly what they've done... €20k grant

Plenty BEV's can now do more on one charge (300km+) than a tyical taxi driver would need to cover in a day.

Some taxi ranks in the UK have been able to manage on Gen 1 Leaf's for years now so todays EV's with the massive grant should be a no brainer for most taxi drivers.

Yeah but the 20.000 EUR is only for a brand new EV and 25.000 EUR for a wheelchair one. Even at full grant (which will surely be a for a very pricey car and not a Zoe), a taxi driver will still need to dish out some 20K from his pocket to buy something like a Kona. It’s admirable that they did this but I’m not sure how many taxi drivers have the cash to either finance a brand new BEV or buy one.

I think it would be MUCH more attractive for them to have a grant of max. 10.000€ for a used BEV with less than X miles.

Yeah but the 20.000 EUR is only for a brand new EV and 25.000 EUR for a wheelchair one. Even at full grant (which will surely be a for a very pricey car and not a Zoe), a taxi driver will still need to dish out some 20K from his pocket to buy something like a Kona. It’s admirable that they did this but I’m not sure how many taxi drivers have the cash to either finance a brand new BEV or buy one.

I think it would be MUCH more attractive for them to have a grant of max. 10.000€ for a used BEV with less than X miles.

What about the MG ZS? start at €29k
    All prices are inclusive of VAT at 23% and the current rate of VRT. Prices include metallic paint but exclude dealer delivery and related charges. Prices include €5,000 SEAI grant for Electric & Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Prices also include VRT relief up to €5,000 for Electric vehicles. Prices correct as of March 2021. The right is reserved to change prices and specifications without prior notice

I know a taxi won’t get the €5k SEAI grant, but will it still get the VRT relief? If so, your looking at €14k for a brand new EV taxi...

The government should be doing a deal with a manufacturer(s) to get them on board with this scheme, and to offer further incentive...... like if taxi driver buys a Leaf, they’ll get an extra discount from Nissan.......
    Surely a manufacturer would love to sign up to a deal that could potentially see them ship hundreds of additional units per year for the price of a small discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You didnt read the link I posted so! ;)

Advertisement