Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Q disaster

Options
  • 20-03-2021 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I just got my new Sky Q and fear I have been sold a pup. To say I am underwhelmed. I cant pause, I cant rewind, I cant use "on demand" or "catchup tv" and anything I want to see I am told I need to update my package. I was also told to the agent that I would have free netflix to later discover that its only for 6 weeks!!!
    I only got it yesterday am I within my rights to cancel?
    any suggestions would be very welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tio07

gubby wrote: »
    I just got my new Sky Q and fear I have been sold a pup. To say I am underwhelmed. I cant pause, I cant rewind, I cant use "on demand" or "catchup tv" and anything I want to see I am told I need to update my package. I was also told to the agent that I would have free netflix to later discover that its only for 6 weeks!!!

I have had sky q since it came out a few years ago and it is great! Like any technology it has its glitch’s from time to time but over all it’s great.

It sounds like your viewing card or account is not set up right.

Netflix is included in some packages so while it’s not free it’s part of monthly price.

Last thing is keep an eye on your price and ensure you seek discounts every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I just got my new Sky Q and fear I have been sold a pup. To say I am underwhelmed. I cant pause, I cant rewind, I cant use "on demand" or "catchup tv" and anything I want to see I am told I need to update my package.

What package did you buy and who did you buy it from because all of those things are standard and there’s no reason why you can’t use them if you’ve signed up with sky directly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Get onto them straight away so there's a record of your issues. In all my years, I've not had a Sky install go properly and usually end up effectively doing it myself.........which really makes me wonder why I bother with them (long story too boring to go into).
    I always laugh whenever you see their ads promising things 'as simple as a click of the button or phonecall'......nothing but hassle. Part of this is undoubtedly down to fly by night installers on contract, account mess-ups on Sky's end, incorrect box matchups etc

So best to make Sky aware of your issues right away, which ufortunately means some time on the phone for you. You may get lucky and get a competent employee who may be able to reinitialise your card remotely and activate the basic features or package on your account, but the important thing is for a record of your dissatisfaction if it becomes a prolonged issue.

On my SkyQ install a few years back, I effectively had the installer leave the house after he was done with no TV, and himself blaming the card that had been sent out, blaming the ISP provider, blaming the weather......basically everything other than himself or Sky. Not exactly what you expect when you signed up to their fancy package. Took about 3 weeks to get sorted, with at least another viewing card sent out (might have been two, can't recall) and multiple phonecalls. Didn't get the Apps functionality sorted for a couple months after.......this was long before the likes of Netflix and such were added, so was a low priority TBH.
    In that process of course, they must like to test the account, which is probably why erroneous rental/purchases like some rubbish Adam Sandler movie showed up on my account :pac:
    More phonecalls then chasing after recompense for all the trouble..................................................................and this is before you have to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the SkyQ boxes when everything is up and running.

Sorry for the rant, but the point is you should chase up with the source as soon as possible, its still their equipment and they are not providing the service they should be and while it's in your house you are paying for that lack of functionality. Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Sounds like a dodgy box, return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You have a cooling off period so can cancel. If you were lied to on the phone, all the calls are recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, sounds like either a bad viewing card or dodgy box.

I've had to replace both before and that sorted problems. If set up correctly the Q box is great.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I bought it off of Sky as an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I bought it off of Sky as an upgrade

Get on to them immediately. As I said earlier all of the things you want are standard features. You weren’t sold a pup as such, it’s just faulty. Get them to fix it for you ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

It sounds like your broadband might be patchy.
    What kind/speed of broadband have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Can you check and see if your card is inserted correctly and that the chip is the right way up, as it sounds like it’s not recognising your card. Can you also check that all the cables are fitted correctly. Lastly, if you go into settings and find an update to install. If none of these work, contact Sky customer care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement