Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018/2017 740e Experiences

Options
  • 27-01-2021 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi there,

Very tempted to go for a 2017/2018 740e. I do minimal mileage, battery would suit most of my driving. I was just wondering if anyone has direct experience driving one? Once the battery is depleted, are these very underpowered? It’s only a 2.0L petrol engine.

Can’t test drive due to Covid so any views/experiences would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

5.2s which is crazy for a car so heavy (I know Tesla S owners would be snickering

Tesla S performance owner here. Not snickering. BMW is my favourite car maker and I loved my old V8 petrol E38 7-series. Just wish BMW would get on with it and made full electric cars. A fully electric 7-series with a performance setup and a long range would certainly give Tesla a run for its money!

Well wear on your 740e cars though lads :)

I hope to get a Tesla in a few years now

I hope to get a BMW in a few years now :D

Just hope it's not too late. BMW made an excellent early start in electrification but that was all stopped by diesel loving Harald Krüger when he took over the helm. They finally managed to get rid of him last year but a lot of damage was done and the company got very far behind. If BMW don't catch up very quickly, they might be gone :( the PHEVs seem very good cars though, so there is hope

Looking great. Silver is better than black (like my Tesla) imho :D

See you got a few PV panels too. And that you have plenty of space for more?

FIT should come some time this year, but you'd need a smart meter for that and they will be rolled out for free, but might be another year or who knows before you'd have one. If you don't yet have a charger, you'd get €600 subsidy to install one (but I'm sure you know this), so you'd only be a few hundred quid short for installing a smart one like a Zappi. In my own case I got a free home charger installed on the first scheme back 4 years ago, so it makes no economical sense to replace it with a smart charger unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

Thanks lads...some really helpful info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You've probably seen the 530e thread already - here.

It's active enough & there would be alot of commonality between the G30 (2017-) 5 series & 7 series PHEVs. Both 4 cylinder turbo petrols etc.

The newer 7 PHEV has the 3.0l inline six, as does the 5, as an expensive option, new.

I'd suggest trying to get an official BMW extended warranty if you could - expensive if they go wrong outside of warranty. That said, I've not had a single issue with my 2019 530e & it had its first service recently, nor have I heard of anyone having any issues. They are very new though so always worth remembering how expensive older BMWs are/can be, to maintain/run.

For example, €600 for a pair of tyres for my 530e whereas our 2019 Ioniq electric had 4 new Dunlop tyres fitted, for half that :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Googsy1

Hi all , I just one too it’s a December 2017 so practically a 2018 with only 29k KLM’s .
    I have had it a few weeks. On average I’m getting about 35 mpg more if I charge it daily The battery never fully discharges as it always holds 20% in reserve so you have full power available when you need it most for overtaking etc. I also had mine remapped which brings the power of the petrol engine to 310 bhp and torque to 470nm . Combined with the electric motor it brings car closer to 400 bhp and 580 nm torque not that it needs it..

Mine is silver too makes a nice change from the black. Itching to bring it on a decent run but with the lockdown I have been only doing local runs. In the process of upgrading the amp , speakers and a few more bits all tasteful mind !

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Hi, I picked mine up on Monday, it's unbelievably comfortable. I've only done around 200km so can't give an accurate consumption number yet. My drive home last night was almost all battery. Set cruise at 115km/h, only time I used petrol was to blast by a bunch of lorries.

Screenshot-20210318-204352-Connected.jpg

Mine is also silver. The spec is odd, has HUD, massage seats, tablet in the rear, display key... but no active cruise control. Only 20k on it too so practicality new.

Yes I missed out on one with The HUD . It has the surround camera though , blind spot monitoring front and rear comfort seats and full MSports kit. One thing I found out is if you wave your foot under the rear bumper it opens the boot . Enjoy your car I’m planning a full machine polish of mine tomorrow. What app is that you are using? I’m using the MyBmw App and interface looks different could be I’m on Android though.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

Googsy1 wrote: »
    Yes I missed out on one with The HUD . It has the surround camera though , blind spot monitoring front and rear comfort seats and full MSports kit. One thing I found out is if you wave your foot under the rear bumper it opens the boot . Enjoy your car I’m planning a full machine polish of mine tomorrow. What app is that you are using? I’m using the MyBmw App and interface looks different could be I’m on Android though.

Thats the BMW Connected app he is using. Both the myBMW and Connected up work. with slight differences on what information is displayed. eg the connected app will show you last trip efficiency, wheras the myBMW will show you charging history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

So, 2 weeks of ownership, ~700km driven.

According to the My BMW app, I've used 20 litres of petrol which gives consumption of 2.86 l/100km (99 imperial mpg). I can charge for free in work, so a rough estimate of electricity used at home is less than €10. I'm very happy with that. I can squeeze about 27km or so from the battery on my commute, of which 2/3 of that is on the motorway. That will change when heating or a/c comes into play, no complaints about it though.

Sounds great you must be a careful driver.. I have just done 700 miles on mine since I got it in Feb. First major issue though in that the car will no longer charge from the port. It tripped the RCD on my Fast Charger and neither the 3 pin charger or fast charger work. Car is displaying a message “ not enough power to charge”. There’s also a red ring flashing on the charge port. I have researched this on google and it seems 330, 530e have had this issue. From reading it’s likely to be the KLN module which is the onboard charger estimated cost to replace is 2100 Euro including labour. Just waiting to have car booked in with BMW thankfully under warranty. Car will charge when driving using the Battery Control but defeats the purpose since it uses more petrol.

Advertisement