Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time lecturer UCC salary

Options
  • 19-03-2021 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have recently been approached to take on a post as a part time lecturer at UCC (associate faculty). I haven’t gotten the fully details on the post yet, but was wondering if anyone else became a part time lecturer before? Was the pay good? What were hr hours like? Was the progression to full time lecturer possible? Any insights appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

Hours vary depending on what's needed. I've worked 2hrs up to 23 hrs per week...
    No guarantee of full time position for more than a year usually....all longer posts are usually advertised.
    Never hurts to have experience, but if you're covering for someone else (and the material is prepared) then it's good money. If you're starting from scratch them it's tough going.
    Late nights are the norm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Questions221

Thanks for getting back. Ya there is very little information out there about these types of positions. The role would be starting from scratch, I was hoping it would turn into a full time role in time but if not sure how likely that would be.

Any idea on the pay? Thanks again
    bduffy wrote: »
    Hours vary depending on what's needed. I've worked 2hrs up to 23 hrs per week...
    No guarantee of full time position for more than a year usually....all longer posts are usually advertised.
    Never hurts to have experience, but if you're covering for someone else (and the material is prepared) then it's good money. If you're starting from scratch them it's tough going.
    Late nights are the norm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Pay would be on the tui website I think, I'd imagine it varies college to college and would be dependent on your qualifications. Is it in the education department? The particular department in the college, how much money they have, whether your paid centrally or from a grant etc will all contribute to the hourly rate and likelihood of the job becoming permeant. Hourly rates in science are very rare, most people run labs, have grants as teach as a requirement, in humanities part time, hourly work is rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Questions221

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

Hi,

I have recently been approached to take on a post as a part time lecturer at UCC (associate faculty). I haven’t gotten the fully details on the post yet, but was wondering if anyone else became a part time lecturer before? Was the pay good? What were hr hours like? Was the progression to full time lecturer possible? Any insights appreciated

I think the current rate of pay is 43.90 per hour. Although this might differ by faculty, you only normally get paid for contact (i.e. class) time, not any prep time. There are some additional payments for marking exams/assignments.

There is no set amount of hours, it just depends on what is available.

Regarding progression, this probably depends on the discipline. There are full time positions available from time to time, but a PhD and good research/publication record is probably essential for the vast amount of disciplines

Advertisement