Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating with the Enemy, Virgin Media One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

One of my lectures from college is going to be on it....the last person you'd expect to go on it.

Probably in his 70s now.

Dr David Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I feel like that bald lad is very naive.

Yeah he is and I think that is going mark the success of the show - they are all living in their own little bubbles and probably hear very few dissenting opinions face to face. Its one thing arguing on line where there are clear people in your tribe and against your tribe, its different when you have to look them in the eye and they are actually OK people with different views. Good to add a bit of humanity to these voices.

They really touched a nerve with the right wing young lad when they brought up the love and affection question, felt sorry for him on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

.anon. wrote: »
    He's the very personification of the Boards Current Affairs forum. An obnoxious, thinly-disguised racist opinion at the ready, whatever the topic. Put me in mind of Damien Thorn from Omen II.

He reminds me of this guy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gotham+tv+series+the+penguin&pws=0&gl=us&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjg9ZjMpZXvAhXvShUIHeCBBh4Q_AUoAXoECBIQAw&biw=1280&bih=610#imgrc=5rlv7ky2fTy53M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I thought this was awful. None of them seemed to have a clue about their arguments or worldview.

What was the fat lad with the tattoos meant to be standing for? Was he just there as a caricature of toxic masculinity?

Cringed everytime the right wing guy repeated J when saying Donald Trump. He kept doing it. I've seen people online do the same, he was giving me discount Ben Shapiro vibes. As for the guy with the Nigerian background, less said the better. Its not easy to discuss issues like this especially when your worldview is being put under the spotlight but again just seems like he's parroting others opinions. We all do it but I think it shows when a certain viewpoint has not been scrutinised enough.

The libertarian was coming out with the most generic small government statements ever with cookie cutter claims about "improved efficency" Everyone is entitled to their views that sit with them intuitively but just felt so shallow.

But tbf, the conversation format was just shallow. Whether it was the cuts or what it just came out looking very threadbare.
    BTW, I think prompters like they used in the show would be a cool addition in a type of bar. Good for the convo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What was the fat lad with the tattoos meant to be standing for? Was he just there as a caricature of toxic masculinity?

Was he heavy or somebody who goes to the gym a lot?

I think he role was that money, image, etc was all important to enjoy life and hers was the opposite.
    Perhaps toxic masculinity was thrown in their also.

I do think the Trump guy got a bit of a land with the question about love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

God that tattoo guy is so rude and condescending.

The biggest ass on it tonight. when he made that comment about Jesus bleeding. I wanted to jump tru the TV and punch his teeth in.
    Couldnt believe someone would even say something like that to a stranger let alone while sharing a meal with them. IDIOT

I taught it was a good show.. Priest was excellent and closed with an nice little speach about Bonnie.
    Will definitely keep watching but the format will definitely produce some absolute morons.

That lad talking about making all schools private and the public paying for homeless housing doesnt live in the same world as me.

A dinner between the tattoo guy and the donald J trump guy would have been interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Seems to be a fair few reality TV rejects on this judging by the ad for it. Bashir from last night was on Tommy Tiernan bemoaning how racist the world is and how oppressed he is yet hes a law lecturer in DCU, quite a good position to be in, Hughie was on first dates last week and will be on this next week, I think Phil from Tallafornia will be on too, I'm sure there was 1 or 2 more I spotted that I cant remember now.

Also it moved way too fast. I'd have liked to see more of how the conversation developed instead of just highlight quotes.

Drag queen and priest seemed like a good chat, we just didnt see enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,313 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Drag queen and the priest very sound, decent people, found plenty of common ground had very interesting conversations.

The young fella in the ireland freedom party needs to get a life. He came across as totally brainwashed, learned off little sound bites clearly, the love and affection question was pretty telling I thought..sad really...then again the fella with him wasn't much better everything racist vibe to him, but definitely easier to get on with.

The fat tattoo guy with the fake teeth and dressed like dealz liberace was absolutely awful, painful, total knob, absolute nightmare.
    The girl with him was a bit blank, she just seemed confused by the rubbish the fella was spouting...understandable really.

Mattress mick sound as you would expect, the bald guy with him utterly delusional about life, privatizing everything isn't really a great solution to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Cringed everytime the right wing guy repeated J when saying Donald Trump. He kept doing it.

It's to differentiate him from all the other Donald Trumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

I initially thought this was going to be a gutter level tv but was very surprised. A great concept but I wish they had allowed the discussions to develop more. That's probably more down to editing than anything else. Highlights for me were Bonnie and the priest, both lovely decent people with open minds. I felt sorry for the Ireland Freedom party bloke when it came to the topic of relationships. He needs to expand his horizons, if I was his Mother I'd be sending him off around the world to live a bit. I thought the Libertarian bloke was ill prepared, no homework done, back of the class.
    I enjoyed it and will definitely watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I only watched it today and agree that that 24 year old was very arragant. Thinks private companies will solve health and the housing crisis lol.
    I thought others was sound do and a lot more open minded than that 24year old.
    The priest and the Drag Queen got on much better than the adds made it out to which was great to see.
    I thought you man with the Tattos was a bit of an idiot alright but your one was sound and quiet open minded.

Episode two on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I watched, so far no massive arguments in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Episode two on now!

Was Alan the salon coordinator (not hairdresser) on some other reality show(s)?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Alan the salon coordinator (not hairdresser) on some other reality show(s)?

He did Blind Dates and Pulling with my Parents and probably has popped up in other places to.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Not a bad concept for a show but its set up again with virtue signalling to the forefront. They might aswell give both parties a sticker saying good guy and bad guy.

The priest obviously didn't play ball and play up the old caricature of a "stuck in the dark ages priest".

National party guy was obviously not going to be able to challenge the law lecturer on anything once race was thrown into the mix, his role is just as narrow minded goon.

Most annoying for me was the girl brought in to chat with the dealz liberace fake teeth dude, she had no personality whatsoever, surely they could have found someone with more fire in their belly? He even commented how disappointed he was that she had little to say.

Good show, but badly cast I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

Your one who likes riding other fellas(shock) is in it aswell. Think she was in Tommy T awhile back.

Since its first date's cast offs, can fat tattoo guy chat with chubby sunbed gay traveller. Might see some sparks then.

I feel like it’s one of these programs that they’ll only let it go so far and won’t have anybody really really controversial on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,313 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watching this now.

The girl with short hair was alright (the singer), off with ya ride who you like, that fella with all the surgery and dyed hair, is seriously painful he has been in so many reality shows, desperate for any fame. Definition of an attention whore. I don't for a second believe he has any deeply held beliefs let alone is a devout catholic. Chicken this chicken that....eugh...the guardian "who is dat?!"...

The online health and fitness coach...you could have just said unemployed...the moustache and turtle neck..he looked like a Poundland bond villain. Painful. Pseudo intellectual nonsense. Overuse of air quotes.
    The guy with the beard seemed to ramble about, but he stood his ground and made some fair points, maybe overegged things a tad...he needs to cheer up.

Student business guy, seemed pretty intelligent and very much of his generation. Clearly on for publicity bullsh#t buzz words a go go, I find that insanely painful, it's constant working in IT.
    The yummy mummy "in my house we focus on experiences" - a bit out of touch with reality.
    Nothing wrong with monitoring use on technology I guess...but you need to give a 16yo some leeway.
    She has to be realistic, but she wasn't for moving.

David, the older fella, felt like he was on the wrong show, it was really awkward, he had a weird air of aggression about him. Men's rights now...rrrright. I don't think his generation had much to complain about when it comes to men not having equal rights..his opinions on toxic masculinity were bizarre.
    The guy who has an opinion on everything was fairly flustered and confused looking occasionally, but he held his own though mostly and seemed a decent fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭cozar

Find it hard to believe that the mum isn’t allowing her son to go on social media at nearly 16.! Tough times ahead for her for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

cozar wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe that the mum isn’t allowing her son to go on social media at nearly 16.! Tough times ahead for her for sure.

She came across as the controlling type

cozar wrote: »

I'm not sure what age you are but I'm nearly 29 and Bebo has being around since I was about 12 and I knew parents like that lady.
    Their kids were nearly always on social media and had lots of secret from their parents and they couldn't talk to them.
    Those who did obey them generally went of the rails at college or went off with 40 year old men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭cozar

I'm not sure what age you are but I'm nearly 29 and Bebo has being around since I was about 12 and I knew parents like that lady.
    Their kids were nearly always on social media and had lots of secret from their parents and they couldn't talk to them.
    Those who did obey them generally went of the rails at college or went off with 40 year old men.

She should let them navigate through the ups and downs of social media themselves and not control it otherwise it will backfire on her.

The only way to market yourself is not doing auditions and going to RADA, it's ****ing INSTA and youtube..These are all people who feel we are entitled to their badly articulated opinions, you'll see the stand outs and even the two budding Herman Melville'ites in the coming year...insufferable shytes the lot of them...

to quote dawn French, I;d rather French kiss Hannibal lector than have dinner with any of them.

rant over... :D

rusty cole wrote: »
    The only way to market yourself is not doing auditions and going to RADA, it's ****ing INSTA and youtube..These are all people who feel we are entitled to their badly articulated opinions, you'll see the stand outs and even the two budding Herman Melville'ites in the coming year...insufferable shytes the lot of them...

to quote dawn French, I;d rather French kiss Hannibal lector than have dinner with any of them.

rant over... :D

Jeez.... tis fairly rubbish tv all right.... turbidy doing a "virtual" st Patrick's day might be better than this......... I really can't see any point whatsoever to this garbage

What is the point of the psychoanalyst type guys commenting in the background????? They just throw in the obvious cliched soundbytes now & again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The rose of talley ffs that two of them were talking about on last nights episode. Your one who thinks the country would be better with no Government so what Private Health care she could not even get it right she said NHS lol instead of HSE. Was she English she certainly sounded English. So she would have private police and army ye because that would work. She should take a look at Burma or Myanmar and see what the people there have had to put up with. Crazy altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Ava Von Rose was on virtue signalling I see.

The amount of young ones on now that seem to try and appeal to a particular market is gas.

She would want to sort herself out before she starts preaching in fairness. Wanting to be a surrogate for a gay couple, not just a surrogate, but specifically for a gay couple absolutely screams attention seeker, might get her a slot on a TV show or 2.

Amazed she would have the time for it with all the hotel suites she visits when rappers are in town.

This program had great potential but then some of the characters they had on being self righteous (this one and the likes of the tanned lad Hughie), its seriously low brow stuff and example of how TV has been dumbed down over the years.

• Advertisement

Ava von rose, never heard of her until now. the lips are awful, how can anyone think they look good?

Advertisement