Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole House Renovation

Options
  • 17-03-2021 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All, first post so please be kind.

I've tried reading through some of the stuff here and Dr Google but head starting to melt. Just bought a bungalow in the sticks in Wexford. Small, 2 bed with north, south facing roof. Just myself in it. Problems:

1. Water pressure for hot water is poor. There is an electric shower but again poor pressure
    2. Stove central heating. This is supposed to heat the rads and water but it takes an age and then the hot water tank does not hold onto the heated water. This is located beside the stove so that is probably why the pressure is poor as on the same level.
    3. The surveyor report said there is cavity blocks but I could not get them pumped for installation due to air flow/ventilation

I was thinking:

1. Solar for the water. Just did a quick estimate with AEI and they are coming in at 4800 after grant (is this a bit high for such a small set up). I suspect I need a new hot water tank and possibly pump (would ideally like to get rid of the electric shower and current bath/shower setup - change to a walk-in shower) so this would be extra. Would the AEI guys be better asking them about this as the more work that needs doing maybe they would cut a deal, or would I need different trades for all this work and not in their remit.
    Also, am I correct in saying that this is only for hot water and not "solar" i.e. if I got an electric car I could not charge it via this system?
    2. Maybe scrap the solar idea in number one and just replace the current stove for a better one, also the hot water tank. I believe there are dual fuel stoves or maybe better models than what I currently have that might have more "welly" to get the rads and water heated quicker.
    3. Also the front door, as you walk through the front door you are immediately in the sitting room/kitchen area where the stove is. The surveyor did point out the door as not great, so maybe if I went with point 2 and the front door?

sorry for the length but I've a few issues/queries so thought I'd throw them all up here...maybe should have broken them up first. I realised I would have to put money into the place when buying but just looking for the best options for: hot water, water pressure, heat/heat retention.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

TaSeThat wrote: »
    Hi All, first post so please be kind.

I've tried reading through some of the stuff here and Dr Google but head starting to melt. Just bought a bungalow in the sticks in Wexford. Small, 2 bed with north, south facing roof. Just myself in it. Problems:

1. Water pressure for hot water is poor. There is an electric shower but again poor pressure
    2. Stove central heating. This is supposed to heat the rads and water but it takes an age and then the hot water tank does not hold onto the heated water. This is located beside the stove so that is probably why the pressure is poor as on the same level.
    3. The surveyor report said there is cavity blocks but I could not get them pumped for installation due to air flow/ventilation

I was thinking:

1. Solar for the water. Just did a quick estimate with AEI and they are coming in at 4800 after grant (is this a bit high for such a small set up). I suspect I need a new hot water tank and possibly pump (would ideally like to get rid of the electric shower and current bath/shower setup - change to a walk-in shower) so this would be extra. Would the AEI guys be better asking them about this as the more work that needs doing maybe they would cut a deal, or would I need different trades for all this work and not in their remit.
    Also, am I correct in saying that this is only for hot water and not "solar" i.e. if I got an electric car I could not charge it via this system?
    2. Maybe scrap the solar idea in number one and just replace the current stove for a better one, also the hot water tank. I believe there are dual fuel stoves or maybe better models than what I currently have that might have more "welly" to get the rads and water heated quicker.
    3. Also the front door, as you walk through the front door you are immediately in the sitting room/kitchen area where the stove is. The surveyor did point out the door as not great, so maybe if I went with point 2 and the front door?

sorry for the length but I've a few issues/queries so thought I'd throw them all up here...maybe should have broken them up first. I realised I would have to put money into the place when buying but just looking for the best options for: hot water, water pressure, heat/heat retention.

thanks

Solar-Thermal probably not worth it for hot water for a single occupier, unless you are The Man From Atlantis and need to spend all day in the bath.

Upgrade the stove, (possibly to a small sealed wood stove with a separate oil boiler as well), put in a modern storage cylinder, and a pump to drive a thermostatic shower head.

Should be a grant for the heating upgrade.

Put a porch on the front door, keep out the draughts and perhaps give a little more storage. While the builder is at it, put a small extension out the back door to hold the boiler and HW cylinder and washing machine/ storage etc. Should be exempt from planning if under area limits etc. and for a small porch/boiler room, probably don't need to go A1 on thermals.

Insulate the attic. Put a foot of fluff up there. And seal up all the 'easy' draughts. Grant for that too.

For the walls, perhaps get a second opinion. But you might need to use external insulation (expensive) or do internal drylining (makes rooms smaller). But internal airflow/moisture control is key.

Make sure the bathroom/kitchen has good humidity extraction.

How are the floors? The cold might be coming up at you is there is no slab insulation. If lino on concrete, and you have room, an insulated timber floor on latts might be a relatively easy upgrade, at the cost of a couple of inches of room height is you can spare it. But again, check for and fix any dampness before you trap it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

Cheers Zardaz, thought as much on the Solar. I'll probably go for:

1. The stove upgrade.
    2. Upgrading the hw tank and moving it. There is a conservatory built onto the back, the surveyor reckons its not a great build, but I can box some of if off and use that to house the new hw tank and especially the pump (its a small building and that will be noisy) - will need to double check with a plumber.
    3. Never thought of a porch although, after checking boards, it seems you would be looking at at least 7k for this so might just go with a new door, although the porch is tempting.
    4. Will look at the floor - I can't see any vents anywhere so this may have to be looked at. Who would you contact about checking ventilation in a house, would it be worth contacting the surveyor for a recommendation.

Thanks again for the info.

Advertisement