Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is common practice to repair corner of tooth in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-03-2021 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Part of the second back tooth decayed and the corner broke off. I needed to get it repaired.
    I have to go to a dentist here and they did not build the tooth up to the height of the rest of the tooth. Also was built up below the surrounding tooth. Only found out after repair and in my opinion weekend the tooth.
    The dentist said this is how they are trained in Ireland.

My usual dentist In England was trained in Singapore and he was brilliant. He would repair the tooth so the corners are all the same height.

Do all dentists here have the same training? I don’t know how Uk trained dentists would repair the tooth but just trying to hold onto the teeth I have. If this is the norm I think I will look for a different dentist.

Also if you are registered with a dentist and go to another dentist in an emergency do you loose your registration with the first dentist? Paying privately and prsi. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I had a chipped tooth repaired to match the whole tooth next to it, by an Irish dentist. You can't tell that corner was missing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

strandroad wrote: »
    I had a chipped tooth repaired to match the whole tooth next to it, by an Irish dentist. You can't tell that corner was missing at all.
    I think I will be looking for a new dentist then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

That is not how you are trained in Ireland or anywhere else, A filling should restore the tooth's form and function.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Except when it is heavily filled and you want to leave it out of contact with opposing tooth, therefore reducing load and hopefully the likelihood of it fracturing again. Possibly why op’s dentist placed filling slightly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cut em low and watch them grow;)

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Cut em low and watch them grow;)

Yip,

Dav010 wrote: »
    Yip,

Not a dentist here so you mean they will get more work as have to go back for future repair of the tooth? If that is the case will be looking for a new dentist. Not professional doing that and any dentist doing that should be ashamed of themselves.
    Very nervous patient and pay the dentist what they ask for without question.

tvjunki wrote: »
    Not a dentist here so you mean they will get more work as have to go back for future repair of the tooth? If that is the case will be looking for a new dentist. Not professional doing that and any dentist doing that should be ashamed of themselves.
    Very nervous patient and pay the dentist what they ask for without question.

It really depends on condition of tooth and why it broke. If the filling is large but there is still a retained corner/contact point that bites against the opposing upper/lower tooth, then if the filling is slightly lower/out of contact with the opposing tooth, there is reduced load on the large filling, therefore in theory, it should last longer and need less treatment in the future. So, Dentist gets less work/patient pays less.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It really depends on condition of tooth and why it broke. If the filling is large but there is still a retained corner/contact point that bites against the opposing upper/lower tooth, then if the filling is slightly lower/out of contact with the opposing tooth, there is reduced load on the large filling, therefore in theory, it should last longer and need less treatment in the future. So, Dentist gets less work/patient pays less.
    I thought it was the other way. Make more money. I grind my teeth in my sleep so higher chance of chips/fractures. Have gold inlay in a few back teeth due to bite. This tooth did not have a match inlay.

tvjunki wrote: »
    I thought it was the other way. Make more money. I grind my teeth in my sleep so higher chance of chips/fractures. Have gold inlay in a few back teeth due to bite. This tooth did not have a match inlay.

If you’ve got gold inlays, they are protecting your other teeth, by leaving that filled corner slightly out of contact with opposing tooth, when you grind, the weaker filled area is protected from excess grinding load. Therefore less likely to fracture again, saving you, hopefully, from needing another expensive inlay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement