Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Humax HDR 1000S - Time shift buffer warning

• 16-03-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭

I've had my HUMAX HDR 1000S for about 4 years now.. for the past 3 months I've been unable to pause live TV, or rewind.

I get a "Time shift buffer" warning.

Is the HDD on its last legs?

I've a load of recorded flicks, so unfortunately a format isn't on the cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭andy1249

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've had my HUMAX HDR 1000S for about 4 years now.. for the past 3 months I've been unable to pause live TV, or rewind.

I get a "Time shift buffer" warning.

Is the HDD on its last legs?

I've a load of recorded flicks, so unfortunately a format isn't on the cards.

The box is on its last legs.
    These units have a known issue , whereby the mainboard has a component failure and the box will not recognise any hard drive.
    Its starts with intermittent issues like no timeshift and failed recordings.

Thats how mine died many years ago now.
    Recordings are uniquely encrypted to each box , so once the box dies those recordings are gone , there is no way to transfer them or watch them on another box.
    So get watching before its dead.

Humax lost the contract for freesat recorders BTW , thats how well they dealt with the issue !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ok noted...will get watching!

Any recommendations on a replacement?

Preferably same dimensions or less as I have it housed in a media center unit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

That is a known issue. I got mine repaired by digi repairs but I think fault was disk related. You can email digi repairs with fault and they will give a reply.
    https://www.digirepairs.co.uk/product/repair-booking-humax-freesat-plus-freeview-plus-youview-plus-box-repairs-2/

For your issue try this first. Found on another board so thanks to them. I'm watching racing. its for the 1100 and may have different menu options. Have a look anyway.

" ( Home/Settings/General setting/Recording ) there was an option there that said Recording buffer and you could change it with the OK button to OFF or ON, mine was showing off, so when I changed it Hey Presto checked and it was working fine then, so please give it a try you never know."

For a replacement Humax no longer make those boxes. The latest one is an Arris 4k AND its pricey.

While the humax was being repaired I set up an enigma 2 box for the OTH and when humax came back they stuck with the enigma 2. I made the enigma 2 look like sky etc

If you want to change I would recommend the zgemma H7S that I am messing with now and its good. I got it at satworld but had to add an SSD as the slot was too small for a normal 2.5hdd. I have added a usb dtt as well and now got 3 saorview tuners!! I got a slyk ontx 1080 skin and its pretty nifty and fast. and small.

A bit tricky to set up initially but lots of help on here.

swoofer wrote: »
    For your issue try this first. Found on another board so thanks to them. I'm watching racing. its for the 1100 and may have different menu options. Have a look anyway.

" ( Home/Settings/General setting/Recording ) there was an option there that said Recording buffer and you could change it with the OK button to OFF or ON, mine was showing off, so when I changed it Hey Presto checked and it was working fine then, so please give it a try you never know."

No dice here unfortunately... mine was set to "ON"
    I tried switching it "OFF" and then back "ON" but same.

To be honest I'm not THAT bothered about not having Pause / Rewind.

Record still seems to work (for now)

My main concern is: if the HDD dies will I still be able to use the Humax HDR as a satellite receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

From what I can recall if the hdd dies no you cant use it as a receiver. The reason is that the epg is stored on the HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

mrcheez wrote: »
    No dice here unfortunately... mine was set to "ON"
    I tried switching it "OFF" and then back "ON" but same.

To be honest I'm not THAT bothered about not having Pause / Rewind.

Record still seems to work (for now)

My main concern is: if the HDD dies will I still be able to use the Humax HDR as a satellite receiver?

Yes it will work away

swoofer wrote: »
    From what I can recall if the hdd dies no you cant use it as a receiver. The reason is that the epg is stored on the HDD.
    rebeve wrote: »
    Yes it will work away

:pac:

ok I guess I'll just wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

My 1000S succumbed to the dreaded hard drive problem about a year ago (after about 6 years of service).

Tried everything to revive it to no avail. However, I can confirm that it works fine as a receiver, even if no drive is connected. Obviously, all recording options disappear. My guess is that the same software is present on both recording and non-recording Humax boxes.

The EPG doesn't appear to be saved to the disk.

OK great... I can live without the recordings really. I do need to make sure to start watching all those flicks now though!

Advertisement