Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Mildred22 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wonder if any one can help me? I’m due my first on the 30th of October. I’ve been to my gp to confirm and talk about options, I’m completely clueless but after talking we decided to go with public in holles street and combined care, I went home and booked in with holles street online. I got a letter a Few days later to say that I had an appointment in primary care centre beside holle street on the 23rd of march (no scan) but yesterday I got a letter to say I’m booked in for an ultra sound on the 19th of March, at
    This point I’ll be 8weeks? I feel like this is an error it should be the 19th of April (12weeks) should I just go with it or call them? This is all very new to be and a bit daunting no idea what To be doing. Thanks

Def give them a call to double check. 8 weeks seems very early for a scan so best to double check. Theres usually a number on the appointment letter to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mildred22

Naid23 wrote: »
    Def give them a call to double check. 8 weeks seems very early for a scan so best to double check. Theres usually a number on the appointment letter to call.

Thanks for the reply.. I gave them a ring there and they said that I am booked in it’s because my first appointment (the following Tuesday) is in Pearse st and they have no scan facilities. I ha had booked a private scan for Tuesday but I think I’ll keep it anyways as
    My partner can come to this one. All so confusing and nerve wrecking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Had my 9 week scan yesterday, really quite amazing! Wasn't expecting to see much at 9 weeks, was just hoping to hear the heart beat and confirm that there was something in there really but got to see a little hand waving at me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Had my 9 week scan yesterday, really quite amazing! Wasn't expecting to see much at 9 weeks, was just hoping to hear the heart beat and confirm that there was something in there really but got to see a little hand waving at me!

I could actually have written this exact post :-) Glad everything went well for you. We did a private scan yesterday as a reassurance as i have thyroid issues. We actually got a little video of the wave aswel so delighted with that.
    Have the hosp scan in 2 weeks so be interesting to see the difference

Naid23 wrote: »
    I could actually have written this exact post :-) Glad everything went well for you.

Thanks, delighted for you too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Lovely to hear news of the scans ladies :)
    I am waiting for the date of my hospital one to see if I will get a private one done in between now and then. But I'm 10 weeks tomorrow so I presume it should be soon.

I am afraid to even say it as i don't want to curse myself, but the tiredness seems to be easing up a bit here, thank god! I was finding it hard to function with 2 other little people to look after. Have been having major Mammy guilt.

Anyway, hope everybody is doing good.

Gee_G wrote: »
    I am afraid to even say it as i don't want to curse myself, but the tiredness seems to be easing up a bit here, thank god! I was finding it hard to function with 2 other little people to look after. Have been having major Mammy guilt.

I'm doing okay because I can just collapse on the couch on my days off and my husband is completely spoiling me. Sometimes I think about how I'll cope if I have a second one and I have the responsibility of looking after the first while pregnant, it will be 10 times harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mirage21

Hi everyone, I'm actually due beginning of November but hopping on here as need some advice and don't want to start November thread in case things don't work out for me. I am 6+3 on my third pregnancy. I have two children. Since this morning I have been having a bit of brown spotting, not much but there when I wipe. I had a pain in stomach for maybe 10 mins in morning but nothing since. I have registered to go private and have my fist appointment with my consultant when I'm 8 weeks. I'm just wondering where I stand now, if spotting continues or gets worse who do I contact, the hospital or my consultant? Just concerned as its the weekend and I have only dealt with his secretary via text to date. Any advice appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hi Mirage, you can go into the A&E of your chosen maternity hospital (or any one if you want).I had brown spotting around the 6 week mark on all 3....brown tends to be ok, as it is old blood.I headed straight for the A&E in the Rotunda and got a scan there and they made a follow up appointment with their Early Pregnancy Unit then for me.My concern was more that everything was where it was supposed to be ie not ectopic (not wanting to alarm you).They can't really do much other than confirm that, and then the EPU machines can see a lot more so they will confirm what is in there and roughly how far along you are.

The A&E is open in the Rotunda anyway 24/7.It can be a slow wait though.I went semi private then after that, and they could just see on my charts that I had gone in early, that was all.

Ah thanks, for your reply, I'm actually just back from A&E. I went in after the spitting changed from brown to red, there wasn't much but still they advised to come in. They did bloods but due to an emergency section they couldn't scan me and have me the option to wait in A&E for several until someone was free, and even then they couldn't guarantee if a scan would determine much as I'm so early, or to go home and have them book me into EPU on Monday. The spotting had stopped so I went home but has started a bit since. A nurse told me to come back in the morning if it started again so I will probably go back in. Don't have a great feeling but I guess I just would like to know one way or another. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Wishing you the best of luck Mirage, I really hope everything will be okay for you.

Thanks, hospital just phoned to say based on level of hcg in blood sample they should see be able to something on a scan so I am back in at 8am in the morning for a scan. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MarshmallowPop

Hi Mirage,

I Could have written this post 3 weeks ago. Light bleeding started at midnight, not a huge amount but enough to he concerned. I really thought I was losing my baby.

Having been to EPAC 3 times in 2 weeks...my advice is to not go near A&E and ring EPAC directly. Each time I was in EPAC, other pregnant women were waiting down in A&E all day and were they were eventually seen, they were referred up to EPAC anyway for another wait.

Hopefully your scan will be fine tomorrow.

If your bleed continues and the hospital don't give you a follow up appointment tomorrow, my advice is to make your GP aware of the situation and he will refer you to EPAC straight away if your bleed continues. My GP was excellent.

Another thing to note is that my hospital does not test progesterone levels. My GP flagged that my levels dropped from 28 to 17. I was put on suppositories straight away which stopped my bleeding and my levels are back up in late 20s again.

I know it is such a difficult time but try to stay positive and hopeful. The statistic I was given by the OB was that 1 in 5 women experience bleeding in pregnancy and 90% go on to have a healthy baby.

Take care :)

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your reply. The red spotting was still there on and off and I went in for 8. They had to do an internal scan and even at that it was hard to see, it was in A&E and not great quality. They could see sac and baby were in the right place but it was too early to see heart beat. Exam confirmed active bleeding, not much but a little, coming from the neck of the womb but the cause is not evident. They said unless it turns into heavy bleeding with cramping not to worry for now, but it's hard not to. I have been refered to early pregnancy unit for follow up in 10 days. So will just see how we go over the next few days. Fingers crossed all will be OK. Thanks again x

Mirage21 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate your reply. The red spotting was still there on and off and I went in for 8. They had to do an internal scan and even at that it was hard to see, it was in A&E and not great quality. They could see sac and baby were in the right place but it was too early to see heart beat. Exam confirmed active bleeding, not much but a little, coming from the neck of the womb but the cause is not evident. They said unless it turns into heavy bleeding with cramping not to worry for now, but it's hard not to. I have been refered to early pregnancy unit for follow up in 10 days. So will just see how we go over the next few days. Fingers crossed all will be OK. Thanks again x

That sounds positive but 10 days is a long wait for you if you are still bleeding. Personally, I would speak to my GP tomorrow and make him aware of the bleeding. Depending on who I spoke to in EPAK, they wanted a referral from GP first, before a visit to EPAK.

Did your GP confirm your pregnancy initially and take a blood sample then? I would ask for your progesterone levels to be checked.

Did you get transvaginal scan? Did they take scope, blood and urine sample?

The hospital could not find the cause of my bleeding and my GP was concerned that because they could not find the cause, they should have assumed it was hormonal for me.

I had a transvaginal scan at 7 weeks but the machine was top notch and they were able to pick up heartbeat then. I know they said it was very early and 50-50 chance of getting heartbeat at that stage.

Please do not suffer in silence and get a referral from your GP if your bleeding continues.

Take care of yourself:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Eh, it depends on the hospital I think, I don't know if the EPUs all take GP referrals.10 days is the standard wait time as they can see if growth has occurred within that time between scans.All my EPU appointments were 10 days apart. Unfortunately it is mostly just a waiting game this early in the pregnancy, and the stress is terrible but there is so little else that can be done.I think I have had various scans on all 3 at 5 weeks right through to 10 weeks (then the 12 week obviously) and it was the internal one in the EPU around 6.5/7 weeks that picked up heartbeats/blood flow, although they did warn that it might not at that point.The spotting continued til 12 weeks on all of my 3, and the cause was never discovered.I did overdo it around week 13 on my third and had 2 or 3 days of bleeding, red blood, and I was sure that was it, but baby was fine.

Best I can tell you, old-fashioned though it may sound, is to take it easy.Don't lift stuff, don't do housework like hoovering, lifting clothes baskets, lifting kids and buggies in and out of cars and the rest (I know how hard that can be...).Just take it very easy and hopefully it will help.Fingers all crossed for you.

Edit to note...sometimes the internal scan can increase the bleed a little bit for a couple of days, just the fact of something being inserted in there and irritating it further.

Thanks ladies, I appreciate your replies and advice. Things have settled alot for the present and I am trying to not stress too much. Trying to take it easy also but it is hard with two other little people that need attention. I will prob link in with my GP and consultant and maybe see about getting more bloods done to see where we are. I only spoke with GP by phone when first informed him of pregnancy, and did not have a physical appointment and never had bloods or anything done, was just referred to my consultant. I will keep ye updated. Thanks, again x

@Shesty, I am only trying to help through my experience of attending EPAC.

My bleed started light and I attended EPAC the next day. I found the doctors were kind and considerate and I was told if the bleeding continued to come back in again the following week.

By day 5, my bleed progressed so bad that I could barely stand and when I rang EPAC, they advised me to go through my GP in case I collapsed. The doctor was concerned that I was losing so much blood that I might have to have a transfusion at that stage.

There was not a chance, I was going to wait for 10 days for an appointment and deal with the anxiety of thinking I had lost my baby at that stage and not knowing if I had.

At all times in EPAC, I was told to come in if I was concerned. 2 of my appointments were referrals and my last appointment there was a scheduled appointment in a different room. Thankfully I have not been back since as my bleed stopped and my GP is monitoring me with the doppler on a weekly basis.

Even though I was in early stages of pregnancy, at all times the doctor was able to pick up the heartbeat. Isn't technology great!

Sorry for being long winded!

The point I wanted to make was don't think you can't attend EPAC at any time. Being in the early stages of pregnancy is hard enough without having to deal with more anxiety of worrying at home.

@Shesty, I am only trying to help through my experience of attending EPAC.

My bleed started light and I attended EPAC the next day. I found the doctors were kind and considerate and I was told if the bleeding continued to come back in again the following week.

By day 5, my bleed progressed so bad that I could barely stand and when I rang EPAC, they advised me to go through my GP in case I collapsed. The doctor was concerned that I was losing so much blood that I might have to have a transfusion at that stage.

There was not a chance, I was going to wait for 10 days for an appointment and deal with the anxiety of thinking I had lost my baby at that stage and not knowing if I had.

At all times in EPAC, I was told to come in if I was concerned. 2 of my appointments were referrals and my last appointment there was a scheduled appointment in a different room. Thankfully I have not been back since as my bleed stopped and my GP is monitoring me with the doppler on a weekly basis.

Even though I was in early stages of pregnancy, at all times the doctor was able to pick up the heartbeat. Isn't technology great!

Sorry for being long winded!

The point I wanted to make was don't think you can't attend EPAC at any time. Being in the early stages of pregnancy is hard enough without having to deal with more anxiety of worrying at home.
    God that sounds awful, thank God you got the care you needed and are the other side of it now but it is nerve wrecking not knowing what's going on and fearing the worst. The hospital phoned and I am booked into to EPU on Monday, so at least its less than 10 days away. I also spoke with my consultant who is of the opinion that would be the right time frame within which to be seen. His secretary mentioned earlier that you can also get a referral through GP. I am waiting for a call back from the GP to fill him in and see what he thinks. Things seem to have settled for the present so will just take it day by day and hope for the best. Hope everyone else is keeping well x

Just a wee update... I was meant to be in this group anyway as I was due in October. I found out this morning that I had a miscarriage. It was a difficult pregnancy from 7 week but I lived in hope that our baby would survive. Bless the wee soul. Please please look after yourself and go to your doctor or hospital if you need their care. That is what they are there for. For now, I need to grieve and process this. I have hope in my heart that one day I will be back to join you here. Take care everyone and please mind yourselves, we are fragile behind it all xxx

• Advertisement

Just a wee update... I was meant to be in this group anyway as I was due in October. I found out this morning that I had a miscarriage. It was a difficult pregnancy from 7 week but I lived in hope that our baby would survive. Bless the wee soul. Please please look after yourself and go to your doctor or hospital if you need their care. That is what they are there for. For now, I need to grieve and process this. I have hope in my heart that one day I will be back to join you here. Take care everyone and please mind yourselves, we are fragile behind it all xxx

Aw I am so sorry to hear this. Look after yourself xx

I am so so sorry to here your sad news. Thinking of you and sending prayers. Thank you for all you advice and support. Take care xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mildred22

So sorry to hear, thinking of you ❤️ X

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

So sorry to read this 💔

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Bambinoonboard

I am so sorry to hear of your little baby's loss. There are no simply no words. Take all the time and be kind to yourselves. 💔💔💔

Carleigh I'm also sorry to hear of your loss💔💔

Baby losses and miscarriages are sometimes misunderstood in our society I feel. A loss is a loss. But the loss of a baby is another level. I can't describe it. 😔❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

Morning !

Am due the 27th October. Have had 2 losses before so feeling very nervous. Had my 9 week scan yesterday and all looking good so fingers crossed.

So I spent my night in A&E last night. I started spotting yesterday and a bit more. So went in to get checked. Not much checking done there as they don't do scans on weekends, such a disgrace and maternity unit said because I'm not 12 weeks that I had to go to A& E and not in to them..... I am 12 weeks on Sunday!!!!
    My bloods came back good and they did an internal exam that they seemed happy with. So just have to wait for my scan on Monday now with my feet up for the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

So I spent my night in A&E last night. I started spotting yesterday and a bit more. So went in to get checked. Not much checking done there as they don't do scans on weekends, such a disgrace and maternity unit said because I'm not 12 weeks that I had to go to A& E and not in to them..... I am 12 weeks on Sunday!!!!
    My bloods came back good and they did an internal exam that they seemed happy with. So just have to wait for my scan on Monday now with my feet up for the weekend :(

Good luck on Monday, I know it's tough waiting. Spotting can be normal so try not to worry.

X

I am so sorry you are going through this but spotting/bleeding seems to be pretty common, more than I ever realised. I know it's hard but try not to worry. I posted a while ago about spotting and bleeding I had. I was in A&E three times before I got seen by EPU. The last day I went to A&E I really thought that was it, as bleeding had become worse and I was cramping but all was OK. Like you, the bloods and internal were good. I got my EPU appointment for a few days later and got to see baby and heartbeat. Sonographer said bleeding happens to a lot of women, sometimes they never know why. Mine has completely stopped now again so fingers crossed it won't come back. Best of luck tomorrow. Will be thinking of you xx

• Advertisement

Unfortunately ladies I have to bow out of this group after it being confirmed today that we have lost our baby at 12 weeks.
    I am wishing each of you all the very best of luck and health in your pregnancies. Enjoy it all xx

Advertisement