Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid restrictions breech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was under the impression that the cemetery (and afterwards) was where the 300 appeared, but that the mass itself was within guidelines.

Would you have been brave enough to say no? In any case, it is not clear if hundreds attended the Mass, from the IT:
    The funeral Mass was celebrated on Thursday by Fr Frank Garvey PP with reduced numbers attending in St Mary’s Church.

There is also an argument, from informed academic sources, that saying/attending public Mass is not actually breaking the law.
    Introduction

There have been further media reports of the gardaí threatening prosecution of those who organise or attend religious services. This is one of the principal rule of law issues identified in the recent report by the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission, which I co-authored with Conor Casey, David Kenny and Donna Lyons. In this blog post, I review the two grounds on which it could be argued that a criminal offence is committed in this context, rejecting each. I shall contrast the current law to the position that applied during the first lockdown, in which religious services were unlawful. I shall then review several official statements on this issue before concluding with some observations about the rule of law.

https://tcdlaw.blogspot.com/2021/03/religious-services-and-rule-of-law.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Effects wrote: »
    Should Fr Frank Garvey PP have gone ahead with holding a funeral mass with over 300 attendees?

There was something similar in Dublin recently and thankfully the priest had the right approach by refusing to say the mass, and leaving the church.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/pavee-point-says-it-is-not-acceptable-for-hundreds-to-attend-funeral-1.4508526

I think this is a real kick in the teeth for those poor individuals who have lost someone recently and made a big sacrifice for the greater good to stay within the legal guidelines. As such, in my opinion, those who organised and attended this funeral, beyond immediate family, put their own self interest in front of the broader communities. I think Martin Collins of Pavee point has taken the right stance on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Covid guidelines are scandalous in multiple ways.

In the attitude we're supposed to take towards ourselves and others, redefining human beings as potential biohazards. Pretending that everyone we meet "has the disease already" - something which any self-respecting person must refuse to do.

Look at the attitude Jesus Christ has towards lepers. He is not scrambling to avoid them. There is condemnation towards the Pharisees who treat the lepers as non-persons.

I think Christians have less of an excuse than others here. These restrictions are only possible because a demoralised, alienated and spiritually exhausted population are already so far gone in social atomisation and decades of 'safetyist' bureaucratic control over their lives.

Now I'm not advising anyone to break the law, that is not the point I'm making, but I am saying that we should not lend support in spirit to a demand to abandon our families, friends and communities for months or years at a time.

growleaves wrote: »
    Now I'm not advising anyone to break the law, that is not the point I'm making, but I am saying that we should not lend support in spirit to a demand to abandon our families, friends and communities for months or years at a time.

I agree wholeheartedly that we not abandon our friends and family now or ever, but as per current guidelines, we should be creative in supporting them and the community in such a way as not to expose anyone to undue risk. I think it is all too easy in these harsh times to be taken in by divisive arguments, seeking to undermine the best efforts of those running the country, made to suit personal goals and political agendas rather than the greater good. Many people are without a doubt feeling isolated, angry and scared. Helping people overcome these problems is an entirely worthwhile goal. Many of the anti-lockdown arguments however are, in my opinion, seeking to manipulate such vulnerable people for other ends at a point in time where we need collective responsibility rather than division.

Like many, there are times when I have serious doubts about the competency of our government in handling this crisis. This does not suggest that their detractors are helping things in any way whatsoever, quite the opposite.

• Advertisement

The government has messed it up spectacularly, and are messing up the vaccine rollout, to the surprise of no one. The caliber of politician is the absolute pits - they are cowardly. Clear as day to an informed observer that with the vaccines the decision to solely stick with EU supply was to give the government a shield (it hasn't worked) to avoid criticism for any issues. Didn't even investigate other additional options - this is an old trick, remember when Kenny wouldn't even ask for a write-down and tried to make this into a "being a good EU boy" virtue? This govt had to be shamed into contacting the manufacturers to give out!

People's human rights, not least their right to practice their religion, have been disregarded for an intolerably long time - due to to govt incompetence. It is good to see serious academic attention being paid to this, it seems many were shell-shocked for a while, or took the reasonable position that temporary restrictions were warranted - 12 months plus, with no end in sight, is not temporary. Restrictions are justified for a short amount of time, when they are coupled with a valid, clear, achievable plan. There is no plan. Remember the 5 levels plan? Didn't even last 24hours. Government just seemed to think the virus was gone and reopened, and seemed shocked at the predicted result - more lockdowns. Did they bother using the time they bought with the first lockdown productively, to boost hospital capacity, improve track and trace, to arrange for travel quarantine? Did they ****. They betrayed the people, who so willingly adopted the "in this together" wartime mentality, the people did their bit, the government quoted films in ego massaging speeches and did nothing else. Even at this stage it is not too late to come out with something practical and detailed, but the plan is literally "we will see in a few weeks" with little hints from Leo the Great that we might get a treat at some stage, followed by Martin having to shoot this down, an obvious political ploy from Leo to maintain "good guy" popularity. No other FF leader would have been so consistently undermined and outmaneuvered. Haughey was an out and out crook, but he would eat these guys for breakfast and would have some sort of plan (lining his pockets would have formed some part of it I'm sure - that said longstanding procurement rules were wholesale abandoned during Covid so watch this space) this is how bad the current crop are.

The attack on religion in Ireland, where the government have relegated it in their reckoning to being an optional luxury (contrary to freedom/practice of one's religion being a human right, an entirely different kettle of fish to having a haircut, something the Irish govt deem more important), is obscene. People, who would normally pridefully portray themselves as being defenders of human rights, have shamefully abandoned this facade, demonstrating their latent Stalinist authoritarian tendencies (ironically this is most prominent from the trotskyists!) with some delighting, in particular, at the restrictions on religious worship - fueled no doubt by their sad and misguided disdain for the Divine.

Ireland is an outlier in her approach to religious worship, it is one of only two countries in the EU where Mass is outright banned*, everywhere else having rightly decided that an outright ban is not a proportional imposition on an important human right, rather restrictions on numbers attending are deemed as being sufficient.

Even reasonable accommodations attempted at one parish, where communion was left for a two hour window after an online Mass, for parishioners to collect, was shut down with the priest threatened. Yet, there is no issue with going into the same church during the same two hour window to light a candle or the like. It makes no sense. There is also no issue with coffee shops doing a roaring trade, no issue with people congregating in the vicinity of these establishments, but they are not praying so it's grand.

It will be two Easters now where worship at the most important time of the year is banned - even the sub par "drive in" masses that were previously allowed are banned. Too dangerous it seems, for the Eucharist to be handed, by someone in full PPE, to someone in a car. (Perfectly safe to go into a coffee shop and be handed a coffee by someone with their nose sticking out over a mask though, or to go get a take away pint).

Mod: Restored text below

In the north worship will be allowed. How ironic! In the six counties, the orange state, founded on a basis of bigotry, the loather of "priest-craft" with the Pope being the DUP's "anti-christ", where the powers that be would not have a Catholic "about the place", where Catholics were denied the vote, housing, jobs, literally "the enemy within", beaten and even murdered by agents of the state because of their religious beliefs - it is this state, one hundred years or so since its foundation that respects and upholds the right to practice ones religion, and it is the 'free state' which seeks to make it illegal, outlawing the Mass and other sacraments to a degree not seen since the penal days.

Something has to give soon, people have had enough - because they cannot see the proportionality, many of the restrictions make no sense and because of this people are stopping paying attention to them wholesale - if restrictions were logical people would obey them. It is hard to argue for them in the face of such incompetence, illogicality, dis-proportionality - you can fly in from a Covid hotspot no questions asked, but you can't go 6km to the beach.

There is not much hope, it is clear as day that the return to school (look at Germany) will increase cases - look at the genius decision to send some pupils back and then two weeks (the timeframe after which the effect of the first cohort returning would begin to be seen) later send more in! How does this make sense? Just as it starts to be evident if it increases the cases, fire more in straight away? A stupid political decision. Restrictions will continue for an indeterminate amount of time because of the vaccine mess up, by the time people are vaccinated boosters to address variants will be needed, rinse and repeat as restrictions roll on. It is bizarre that even nursing home residents, all vaccinated, cannot attend Mass.

Even the Bishops, typically loath to rock the boat, are running very low on patience, their recent statement being the angriest I can recall.

Personally, I am waiting, with every expectation of being let down yet again, for the government to come out with something at the start of April. If they do not present a workable plan (they won't) I will not be following restrictions, simply because they are law, any further. I will instead act as I see fit - with a degree of precaution as my circumstances dictate (i.e. wearing masks, mostly staying at home, not meeting in large groups and such). I will attend Mass, even if I need to go north, although I am sure priests will not be found wanting - many will be willing to follow in the footsteps of their penal day predecessors and celebrate the Mass, be it illegal or not.

What I worry about is that I think many people will just abandon restrictions entirely - as the people did in the incident the OP referred to (thank you for reading all the above to see how my missive relates to the OP!) - and take no precautions at all, and just pretend everything is normal. The government will be to blame, as they had 12 plus months to get it right and failed every time.

*That said, the opinion of the TCD law professor linked previously that it is not actually illegal is quite persuasive.

Mod warning @ex loco refugii: I have removed a section of your post which I consider intentionally inflammatory and hence in breach of the charter.

Edit: Snipped section restored following discussion on feedback thread

I will not be following restrictions, simply because they are law, any further.

Advocating or admitting to illegal activity on this site is against the terms of use of this site and will result in sanctions.
    We expect you to act responsibly in posting Material on Boards.ie. You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:
    ;
    ;
    post Material that promotes or encourages illegal activity

Any responses via PM or to the feedback thread only. Thanks for your attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The attack on religion in Ireland, where the government have relegated it in their reckoning to being an optional luxury (contrary to freedom/practice of one's religion being a human right, an entirely different kettle of fish to having a haircut, something the Irish govt deem more important), is obscene. People, who would normally pridefully portray themselves as being defenders of human rights, have shamefully abandoned this facade, demonstrating their latent Stalinist authoritarian tendencies (ironically this is most prominent from the trotskyists!) with some delighting, in particular, at the restrictions on religious worship - fueled no doubt by their sad and misguided disdain for the Divine.
    while the majority of that post was nonsense, i can only describe the above as an incredibly special piece of utter nonsense. For some reason some people of a religious leaning believe they are deserving of special treatment at the expense of others. You talk about human rights yet are happy to ignore a persons right to life. How many deaths would you accept to have public mass? considering the high risk age profile of priests and a significant portion of mass goers in this country? Do you consider being able to attend public mass as more important than somebody else right to life?
    What I worry about is that I think many people will just abandon restrictions entirely - as the people did in the incident the OP referred to (thank you for reading all the above to see how my missive relates to the OP!) - and take no precautions at all, and just pretend everything is normal. The government will be to blame, as they had 12 plus months to get it right and failed every time.
    you have just said you are going to act as you see fit, even going to the north for mass, but are concerned that other people would act as they see fit. You don't see the issue with this? and is a prime example of the religious believing they are deserving of special treatment.

while the majority of that post was nonsense, i can only describe the above as an incredibly special piece of utter nonsense. For some reason some people of a religious leaning believe they are deserving of special treatment at the expense of others. You talk about human rights yet are happy to ignore a persons right to life. How many deaths would you accept to have public mass? considering the high risk age profile of priests and a significant portion of mass goers in this country? Do you consider being able to attend public mass as more important than somebody else right to life?
    How many deaths is getting a take away pint, or a coffee, worth? How many deaths is going 5km worth compared to going 4km? How many deaths is opening schools worth? Is this how you measure ever act of life, every restriction under Covid, or is it just the ones that involve prayer?

Why has the majority of the world deemed it not proportional to entirely ban public worship? Why is freedom of religion, and practice of religion, a specific fundamental human right? No one said anything about forcing people to go to Mass, people can make that decision themselves - particularly in circumstances where a not insignificant portion of the age group you refer to have or will be soon vaccinated.
    you have just said you are going to act as you see fit, even going to the north for mass, but are concerned that other people would act as they see fit. You don't see the issue with this? and is a prime example of the religious believing they are deserving of special treatment.
    I said I would do so if the govt did not emerge with a reasonable plan. I also said my concern would be that people would abandon precautions entirely, rather than, say, deciding that it is OK to go 6km from home and otherwise still being careful. I must stress, that as this is a future possibility, it is entirely hypothetical and I am not advocating anyone breaking any laws. Hopefully the government will come out with a good plan that restores public confidence, or revise restrictions to make them more proportionate.

How many deaths is getting a take away pint, or a coffee, worth? How many deaths is going 5km worth compared to going 4km? How many deaths is opening schools worth? Is this how you measure ever act of life, every restriction under Covid, or is it just the ones that involve prayer?

Why has the majority of the world deemed it not proportional to entirely ban public worship? Why is freedom of religion, and practice of religion, a specific fundamental human right? No one said anything about forcing people to go to Mass, people can make that decision themselves - particularly in circumstances where a not insignificant portion of the age group you refer to have or will be soon vaccinated.

I said I would do so if the govt did not emerge with a reasonable plan. I also said my concern would be that people would abandon precautions entirely, rather than, say, deciding that it is OK to go 6km from home and otherwise still being careful. I must stress, that as this is a future possibility, it is entirely hypothetical and I am not advocating anyone breaking any laws. Hopefully the government will come out with a good plan that restores public confidence, or revise restrictions to make them more proportionate.

you went through the trouble of writing all that out but didn't actually bother answering any of the questions, why not?

You are the one claiming your right to attend public mass should be respected, at the expense of others basic fundamental human rights.
    You need to tell us how you square that circle.

I didn.t say anything about forcing people to go to mass, its about those they could potentially spread Covid to that had no say in their public gathering. They will be vaccinated eventually, but we aren't there yet.

• Advertisement

you went through the trouble of writing all that out but didn't actually bother answering any of the questions, why not?

You are the one claiming your right to attend public mass should be respected, at the expense of others basic fundamental human rights.
    You need to tell us how you square that circle.

I didn.t say anything about forcing people to go to mass, its about those they could potentially spread Covid to that had no say in their public gathering. They will be vaccinated eventually, but we aren't there yet.
    You are making the claim that people attending Mass will result in deaths, please offer evidence to support this. If you can provide adequate evidence that Mass attendance will result in excess mortality, then we can compare this to other activities, and you can tell us why you think activities that may be just as "risky", or moreso, are more important, whereas Mass is so deadly it must be banned, when the majority of the world have not deemed this proportionate, and I can say why I think any "risk" of allowing worship, should it exist, is worth it.

If you are going to infringe on a fundamental right, which religious worship is, the onus is on you (or the govt) to provide evidence that it is a cause or significant contributor to spread, and that this risk cannot be mitigated by any other means (such as limiting numbers) than banning it entirely.

Or maybe you will conclude that leaving your house at all is a risky activity and we should never leave - but then agoraphobia reduces life expectancy also.

Are you in favour of allowing those who are vaccinated to attend Mass? That would be a start at least and give people some hope.

The 'right to be in lockdown' is not a basic fundamental human right.

These containment methods are theoretical, unproven and have no provenance. We have shuttered everything on a hoof and a hope and most people have gone along with it because they don't want to second-guess the authorities. But there's no right to sit on businesses, chain the economy and ban religious attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,209 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This does not make any sense as a statement?
    These containment methods are theoretical, unproven and have no provenance. We have shuttered everything on a hoof and a hope and most people have gone along with it because they don't want to second-guess the authorities. But there's no right to sit on businesses, chain the economy and ban religious attendance.

Well of course they are, up to a point, theoretical, unproven and have no provenance. We have not had a Covid pandemic before to practise on. It is worth pointing out though that historically the only way of dealing with epidemics was by confining people to their houses. And there is evidence from the 1918 flu epidemic that closing down society worked very well https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus

No-one is claiming every government got everything right about this pandemic - though New Zealand did pretty well and they were very quick to do the containment that you are criticising. However it is difficult to see how churches could be allowed open while closing cinemas and theatres. The physical environment is very similar - though in cinemas and theatres people are not talking and singing, and are far less likely to gather and gossip afterwards than when leaving a church.

While the necessity for the spiritual and community aspects of attending church are undeniable, in respect of the Catholic church for many centuries all that was considered necessary for the laity to fulfil their obligations was to witness the Elevation of the Host, and actually take Communion once a year. Participating in the Mass remotely would accomplish the first, and there have been sufficient opportunities in the last 12 months to attend Mass in person to achieve the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,945 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes people can make the decision to go to mass or not but if a mass becomes a spreader event and all those mass goers hop on a bus or go shopping do the people they now infect get a choice.

Right now essentials are open and mass is not one. Comparing it to getting takeaway is a joke. I get a takeaway coffee and drink it alone every day within regulations outdoors and that is very different to sitting inside in a group even if distancing.

Missing mass is allowed by god and church when necessary and people can still get mass by other means and if I am wrong on that then it's time to remove the angelus and Sunday mass from TV as they are redundant

You are making the claim that people attending Mass will result in deaths, please offer evidence to support this. If you can provide adequate evidence that Mass attendance will result in excess mortality, then we can compare this to other activities, and you can tell us why you think activities that may be just as "risky", or moreso, are more important, whereas Mass is so deadly it must be banned, when the majority of the world have not deemed this proportionate, and I can say why I think any "risk" of allowing worship, should it exist, is worth it.

If you are going to infringe on a fundamental right, which religious worship is, the onus is on you (or the govt) to provide evidence that it is a cause or significant contributor to spread, and that this risk cannot be mitigated by any other means (such as limiting numbers) than banning it entirely.

Or maybe you will conclude that leaving your house at all is a risky activity and we should never leave - but then agoraphobia reduces life expectancy also.

Are you in favour of allowing those who are vaccinated to attend Mass? That would be a start at least and give people some hope.

I dont need to support it, public mass has already stopped, its hard to get stats from something that isnt happening ;) you want mass back you need to show it is safe.

What other activities are just as risky? the cinema? closed... bars? closed
    and that is before we even take into the high risk age profile of mass goers.

you do understand that even if vaccinated, you can still transmit the disease? when enough people have been vaccinated to open up the rest of society then churches can have public mass again. Mass wasn't banned because it was deadly, it was banned because in this country at least it is a congregation of people most susceptible to dying from covid

You seem to believe that during a pandemic of a disease that has a much higher fatality rate in older people would somehow not affect a high risk age profile mass goers? there is a reason why public mass was stopped :rolleyes:

again, I asked you how many deaths you would accept to have public mass.
    This isnt something you can keep dodging. Either you believe your right to attend public mass is more important than someone else right to life, or you dont. So which is it?

who said it was a fundamental human right?
    the containment methods while not ideal, are not theoretical or unproven, you can see that from the numbers of cases when we are at various stages of lockdown.

who said it was a fundamental human right?
    the containment methods while not ideal, are not theoretical or unproven, you can see that from the numbers of cases when we are at various stages of lockdown.

No you are wrong. The numbers are correlated with restrictions to some extent but seasonality and other factors may influence things like e.g. a winter surge.

What people are doing is starting with a set of assumptions and then using confirmation bias to interpret what has happened.

That is not scientific proof, which means being able to say for definite that x was caused by y.

looksee wrote: »
    This does not make any sense as a statement?

Well of course they are, up to a point, theoretical, unproven and have no provenance. We have not had a Covid pandemic before to practise on. It is worth pointing out though that historically the only way of dealing with epidemics was by confining people to their houses. And there is evidence from the 1918 flu epidemic that closing down society worked very well https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus

No-one is claiming every government got everything right about this pandemic - though New Zealand did pretty well and they were very quick to do the containment that you are criticising. However it is difficult to see how churches could be allowed open while closing cinemas and theatres. The physical environment is very similar - though in cinemas and theatres people are not talking and singing, and are far less likely to gather and gossip afterwards than when leaving a church.

While the necessity for the spiritual and community aspects of attending church are undeniable, in respect of the Catholic church for many centuries all that was considered necessary for the laity to fulfil their obligations was to witness the Elevation of the Host, and actually take Communion once a year. Participating in the Mass remotely would accomplish the first, and there have been sufficient opportunities in the last 12 months to attend Mass in person to achieve the second.
    This is incorrect, theologically speaking. Watching it on the TV is not participating in the sacrifice of the Mass, you need to physically be in attendance. Also, people do not and should not go to Mass merely to satisfy some sort of obligation, so what you say is not particularly helpful, or even true. I have to say I am somewhat sick of people with no religious belief purporting to tell the faithful what their beliefs are, or how they should, or need to (theologically speaking) worship.

For a country that supposedly still forces Catholic education on people it is illuminating how few people actually understand what happens at Mass.

The denial of the sacraments, particularly confession, but also receiving communion, is a serious issue which can have eternal consequences for those of us who are not living lives free of sin (i.e. everyone).

This is particularly aggravating when it has not been demonstrated that attendance at Mass, in limited numbers, wearing masks etc. is so risky that it should be banned, especially when the majority of the world have not banned religious worship, rather they have imposed restrictions.

Saying that Mass is the same as going to the cinema is nonsense, you don't have a specific fundamental human right to go watch a film. I know you are an atheist, but you should recognise that religious worship is different from going to the cinema. Even if you don't think this, you must acknowledge that millions of people do not share such a blindfolded perspective. Saying that similar restrictions should apply because the buildings and circumstances of attendance are similar is just a way of dressing this up: they aren't for a start, Churches tend to be far larger, with far more doors, no lobby areas, more spaced out, and Mass can be done in 20 mins or so with no singing. The law, as it stands, says that 30/40/50/60+ people can go sit in a church with no issue, but if a Priest stands on the altar and says Mass it becomes a crime, explain the logic there. Amazingly, the "problem" of people congregating outside shops in queues, even for non essentials like coffee or take away pints does not seem to be a major issue, add some prayer in though and reduce the frequency of that possibility (I'm not convinced mitigation can't be put in place to stop people congregating, nor has it been demonstrated that this was happening and contributing to spread in the first case) for an individual to once a week and it will be a massacre!

This is the attack on religion, and the faithful, I referred to earlier. Whether you explicitly mean it this way or not(I don't think you do), it is an insidious attack aimed at reducing the practice of religion to a mere hobby, or luxury (like going to the cinema). You may view it like this, but you, or anyone else, have no right to force others to act like this is the case. Millions of people, billions around the world, view religious worship as an essential part of their being, not something to be put aside or diminished, lightly. This is why it is a fundamental human right and nearly every country in the world has not taken the draconian step of banning worship.

I dont need to support it, public mass has already stopped, its hard to get stats from something that isnt happening ;) you want mass back you need to show it is safe.

What other activities are just as risky? the cinema? closed... bars? closed
    and that is before we even take into the high risk age profile of mass goers.

you do understand that even if vaccinated, you can still transmit the disease? when enough people have been vaccinated to open up the rest of society then churches can have public mass again. Mass wasn't banned because it was deadly, it was banned because in this country at least it is a congregation of people most susceptible to dying from covid

You seem to believe that during a pandemic of a disease that has a much higher fatality rate in older people would somehow not affect a high risk age profile mass goers? there is a reason why public mass was stopped :rolleyes:

again, I asked you how many deaths you would accept to have public mass.
    This isnt something you can keep dodging. Either you believe your right to attend public mass is more important than someone else right to life, or you dont. So which is it?
    What a scary Stalinist (this isn't hyperbole, I say it deliberately) attitude and thought process this is:

1. Your default is to infringe on human rights
    2. You do not have any evidence
    3. You say you do not need to provide any
    4. You say that it is impossible to get evidence anyway
    5. To be able to exercise a human right you say you need evidence to demonstrate that it is safe, while saying it is impossible to provide evidence that it is dangerous. It is impossible to square this circle.

Very scary, no doubt you will say that the fact that the vast majority of the world have not banned Mass is irrelevant.

I have a feeling you will only apply this standard to worship (at first of course, tyranny always starts against someone you don't like), I have a feeling if the govt applied your standards to other areas of life you might object... I would hope that most people would take the reasonable position that human rights should only be infringed upon if there is evidence and proof that it is necessary.

But then you go on to say that Mass is not "deadly" but that it was banned because older people go to Mass. So are you saying that it is OK to have public worship if no medically vulnerable people attend?

This is incorrect, theologically speaking. Watching it on the TV is not participating in the sacrifice of the Mass, you need to physically be in attendance. Also, people do not and should not go to Mass merely to satisfy some sort of obligation, so what you say is not particularly helpful, or even true. I have to say I am somewhat sick of people with no religious belief purporting to tell the faithful what their beliefs are, or how they should, or need to (theologically speaking) worship.

For a country that supposedly still forces Catholic education on people it is illuminating how few people actually understand what happens at Mass.

The denial of the sacraments, particularly confession, but also receiving communion, is a serious issue which can have eternal consequences for those of us who are not living lives free of sin (i.e. everyone).

This is particularly aggravating when it has not been demonstrated that attendance at Mass, in limited numbers, wearing masks etc. is so risky that it should be banned, especially when the majority of the world have not banned religious worship, rather they have imposed restrictions.

Saying that Mass is the same as going to the cinema is nonsense, you don't have a specific fundamental human right to go watch a film. I know you are an atheist, but you should recognise that religious worship is different from going to the cinema. Even if you don't think this, you must acknowledge that millions of people do not share such a blindfolded perspective. Saying that similar restrictions should apply because the buildings and circumstances of attendance are similar is just a way of dressing this up: they aren't for a start, Churches tend to be far larger, with far more doors, no lobby areas, more spaced out, and Mass can be done in 20 mins or so with no singing. The law, as it stands, says that 30/40/50/60+ people can go sit in a church with no issue, but if a Priest stands on the altar and says Mass it becomes a crime, explain the logic there. Amazingly, the "problem" of people congregating outside shops in queues, even for non essentials like coffee or take away pints does not seem to be a major issue, add some prayer in though and reduce the frequency of that possibility (I'm not convinced mitigation can't be put in place to stop people congregating, nor has it been demonstrated that this was happening and contributing to spread in the first case) for an individual to once a week and it will be a massacre!

This is the attack on religion, and the faithful, I referred to earlier. Whether you explicitly mean it this way or not(I don't think you do), it is an insidious attack aimed at reducing the practice of religion to a mere hobby, or luxury (like going to the cinema). You may view it like this, but you, or anyone else, have no right to force others to act like this is the case. Millions of people, billions around the world, view religious worship as an essential part of their being, not something to be put aside or diminished, lightly. This is why it is a fundamental human right and nearly every country in the world has not taken the draconian step of banning worship.

As far as this virus is concerned mass and cinema are the same thing.The virus cares not one bit for theory that you need to go to a building every week for your soul it will infect and kill the same as if you are in a cinema.

Saying other countries allow worship is pointless unless you can prove they are combating the virus better than us. Maybe we are doing it right and them wrong.

If you think government have shut down society and tanked the economy just to stop people going to mass then I would say the conspiracy theory forum would be the only place you would find agreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Too many people are bowing down to Satan. The Catholic church has being corrupted by Satan and his demonic entities. All the people who are putting on masks every day and believing the lies of the corrupt dishonest mass produced media. We can't stop the mark of the beast and control of the world's population being handed over to Satan to rule from Jerusalem, but we can put our trust in God instead of the deception this world gives us. I never wore a mask throughout this programming and I have respect for anyone that doesn't bow down to Satan and his schemes.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    As far as this virus is concerned mass and cinema are the same thing.The virus cares not one bit for theory that you need to go to a building every week for your soul it will infect and kill the same as if you are in a cinema.

Saying other countries allow worship is pointless unless you can prove they are combating the virus better than us. Maybe we are doing it right and them wrong.

If you think government have shut down society and tanked the economy just to stop people going to mass then I would say the conspiracy theory forum would be the only place you would find agreement
    Of course it is not all about religion, just a nice bonus for some, whether intentional or not.

The concept some people have of human rights on this forum is quite scary, the default being that they are to be tossed out the window and only "allowed" if it can be demonstrated that it is "safe".

This is madness. The approach must be that if a human right is to be infringed, it can only be done if it is demonstrated, with overwhelming evidence, that it is absolutely necessary. Any other approach is monstrous and undermines the entire concept of human rights, who knows where this can lead? Please read The Gulag Archipelago.

Too many people are bowing down to Satan. The Catholic church has being corrupted by Satan and his demonic entities. All the people who are putting on masks every day and believing the lies of the corrupt dishonest mass produced media. We can't stop the mark of the beast and control of the world's population being handed over to Satan to rule from Jerusalem, but we can put our trust in God instead of the deception this world gives us. I never wore a mask throughout this programming and I have respect for anyone that doesn't bow down to Satan and his schemes.

Prayer or rejection of satan haven't saved the lives of the people I have seen die from covid so ide probably start wearing a mask

Prayer or rejection of satan haven't saved the lives of the people I have seen die from covid so ide probably start wearing a mask

A mask that is totally useless. Good luck with that. We know the survival rate from this man made virus is over 99.9% and if someone dies that happen to have covid while in hospital, it is put down as a covid death. God didn't give us fear, that comes from trusting Satan and his lies.

A mask that is totally useless. Good luck with that. We know the survival rate from this man made virus is over 99.9% and if someone dies that happen to have covid while in hospital, it is put down as a covid death. God didn't give us fear, that comes from trusting Satan and his lies.

All right keep believing that. I hope for your sake you survive regardless of your dangerous attitude

All right keep believing that. I hope for your sake you survive regardless of your dangerous attitude

What's more important, living in fear to protect the short time in this physical world and ending up in hell for eternity or putting your trust in God and ending up in heaven? Saving your soul is far more important than worrying about the fear being pushed by the media on the population.

What's more important, living in fear to protect the short time in this physical world and ending up in hell for eternity or putting your trust in God and ending up in heaven? Saving your soul is far more important than worrying about the fear being pushed by the media on the population.

I'll take the fact based advice of lockdown to prolong my short life over the unproven possiblity of an afterlife and most people in this country seem to be happy to make the same choice as me

I'll take the fact based advice of lockdown to prolong my short life over the unproven possiblity of an afterlife and most people in this country seem to be happy to make the same choice as me

If most people end up in hell would you like to join them there as well?

If most people end up in hell would you like to join them there as well?

If god exists Im sure he will see Im pretty decent despite my flaws and let me in. I doubt wearing a mask is gonna be the red line for my getting into heaven or wherever either way

• Advertisement

If god exists Im sure he will see Im pretty decent despite my flaws and let me in. I doubt wearing a mask is gonna be the red line for my getting into Valhalla or wherever either way

Mod warning: While Valhalla is no doubt an interesting idea, can we stick to Heaven and Hell on this forum please and avoid comparisons to defunct mythologies that might be considered a slight on Christianity and its beliefs. Thanks for your attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement