Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Swing Post Covid

• 15-03-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭

Try another odd thread idea. Just when we need a different covid thread :D

No - but it is a different angle on it.

But - this must be the longest golfers have gone without swinging a club.
    Any insights or ideas about how we start again. It is probably a daft idea to go and hit 100 balls in a range if they opened next week.

I'm not even swimming - no rotational action in body at all. I'm cycling - but what the hell use is that.

I had an unusual attitude - going to use this as a proper break . I'm just not into going to fields and hitting balls - I did that as a kid. I'm past that. But I do understand if people have done that ? I hit about 100 balls over the last year (in lockdowns). 50 on the beach - 50 in the park.

Physically - I noticed in parts of the last year - how different a walk is and a proper golf walk. We probably underestimate what our golf walking fitness is. I mean, if you are playing golf 2 to 3 times a week - it makes you match fit. In the last two months I started doing far more demanding walks and it would surprise you what is involved in matching a round of golf.

The swing - as a friend of mine in a humorous way put it well. I've forgotten how to play golf :D

I know it will be like getting back on a bike. But who the hell would i hit a chip shot now - even how do I putt - will definitely be a little different when I go back.

I must go out and even check my bag - equipment - gps - laser - take a few putts.

I better start moving the body in that particular way related to golf. I better start going to that field. :)

There will be a few sore bodies and injuries when we all step up and try a Bryson on the first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I started making a few swings in the kitchen the other night. No golf clubs, just my arms. I'm still in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rikand wrote: »
    I started making a few swings in the kitchen the other night. No golf clubs, just my arms. I'm still in bits

Don't get me wrong - my body feels good.

All them little aches and pains you have when you are playing are all gone. It kind of of highlights that most golfers pick up slight injuries.

But it is a fairly aggressive action - that you need to be match fit with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Don't get me wrong - my body feels good.

All them little aches and pains you have when you are playing are all gone. It kind of of highlights that most golfers pick up slight injuries.

But it is a fairly aggressive action - that you need to be match fit with.

put on weight and got lazy tbh so have started walking the dog to get some form of exercise. havent touched a club since 16th December and won't until i get to course to warm up before tee time.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I Have a golf net at my dad's house im hitting into most days. God knows if i will be hooking or slicing the thing when net is not stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

During the winter I brought a driving net just to spend an hour or two in the garage hitting balls into at the weekends. Only could swing 9 iron or wedges due to the low roof.

That was grand, then when weather got a little better took it out to garden and was fine but started to dig up the corner of the lawn and missus wasn't happy.

Brought a launch monitor/gps and it made it a bit more fun.
    Living in the country I hopped the wall into a field that I could hit up to a 5 hybrid and use the launch monitor and boy was my game shocking.
    I topped more shots and sprayed balls all over the field.
    Using the net I didn't realize the dispersion I was generating. Only got a couple of days in the field when the farmer decided to put out slurry. I mean come on, season is starting soon.
    I better let the missus know I will be gone for 7 hours when we get back cause the hold ups will be epic.

• Advertisement

During the winter I brought a driving net just to spend an hour or two in the garage hitting balls into at the weekends. Only could swing 9 iron or wedges due to the low roof.

That was grand, then when weather got a little better took it out to garden and was fine but started to dig up the corner of the lawn and missus wasn't happy.

Brought a launch monitor/gps and it made it a bit more fun.
    Living in the country I hopped the wall into a field that I could hit up to a 5 hybrid and use the launch monitor and boy was my game shocking.
    Using the net I didn't realize the dispersion I was generating. Only got a couple of days in the field when the farmer decided to put out slurry. I mean come on, season is starting soon.
    I better let the missus know I will be gone for 7 hours when we get back cause the hold ups will be epic.

:D:D:D:D

Fair play rickis tache - love it.

As we approach St Patrck's Day - this is the kind of stuff that makes me proud to be an Irish golfer and proud to be Irish. It has all the parts;

Slightly bad planning.
    Concern and love for your partner.
    A back up plan costing more money.
    A slight bit of break and enter - The Field.
    Stunning use of top of the range technology.
    Inventiveness and flexibility in location.
    The **** hitting the fan.
    And a better plan for the future.

Ireland.

Even something basic. Like these walks we are doing at present.

How long do you have to go out and walk at a reasonable pace to replicate a round of golf. Then you are not even using body. So you can't even replicate it. But I sense it is a 2 hour walk. But haven't calculated - energy use versus energy use.

I think these walks we are doing with family etc. Is nowhere near enough. Sure most of them are about 5km at best.

Anyone any figures from a gps of what their course walk is in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

I've been playing only very irregularly the last few years since the kids came along but I found the swing comes back in fairly quickly but the feel around the greens is a different story completely.. Might as well be pitching with a shovel
    Even something basic. Like these walks we are doing at present.

How long do you have to go out and walk at a reasonable pace to replicate a round of golf. Then you are not even using body. So you can't even replicate it. But I sense it is a 2 hour walk. But haven't calculated - energy use versus energy use.

I think these walks we are doing with family etc. Is nowhere near enough. Sure most of them are about 5km at best.

Anyone any figures from a gps of what their course walk is in total.

I think some place like Grange Castle, which is a normal length course I measured to be around 8.5km, I was a member in Palmerstown Stud a couple of years back and think that was usually around the 12.5km mark!

dwd wrote: »
    I've been playing only very irregularly the last few years since the kids came along but I found the swing comes back in fairly quickly but the feel around the greens is a different story completely.. Might as well be pitching with a shovel

I think some place like Grange Castle, which is a normal length course I measured to be around 8.5km, I was a member in Palmerstown Stud a couple of years back and think that was usually around the 12.5km mark!

I recall them figures doing the rounds.

12.5 km is just crazy.

But even 8.5 km might surprise people. These covid "walks" are almost useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

12.5 km is just crazy.

My fitness has gone to pot without golf. Yeah I get out and walk, but as you say, its no substitute for the real thing, not much purpose to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

12.5 km is just crazy.

If playing badly Palmerstown can be up to 14k :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

shamco wrote: »

i notice via fitbit the worse i play the step count can be massively different alright

im on my feet all day in work as well so walking shouldn't be too bad. its the playing that will get me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Whenever I'm out on the bbq I take out two extra things, a beer and a wedge. It's only a small space out there and not great target practice if I'm honest. But I just focus on making good contact (with the wedge) and not loosing the feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

Corballis is a 7.5-8 km walk depending on how strong the wind is blowing

This lockdown I haven't picked up a club at all. Don't what it it. Last year I had the putting matt out 24/7. I was chipping dog toys back into their basket and swinging that orange ball swing aid so much the neighbours thought there was an episode of highlander being filmed in our garden.

This lockdown, not at all. Clubs sitting there, hit the odd putt but that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Maybe you inspired him to start spraying sh1t?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭benny79

I been going to the Curragh and just concentrating on taking a small divot and flight. I just bring PW & 7 Iron. But its really making me miss golf more.. Stopped on way home yesterday only got a hour before its gets dark. So hit 28 balls. 7 x PW down then back. Same with 7 iron.. Felt dissy after and had to seat down! lol.. Golf fit is a thing. Who knew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I had stopped playing regular golf well before Covid, since Covid I've done a lot of 20-35 yard pitches in the back garden, this is by far the most short game practice I've ever done.

Full swings - I have a swing speed radar and foam balls which I hit against the side of the house. My clubhead speed hasn't dropped at all from when I was younger and playing more, I'm not quoting the speed as I'll only be accused of lying and thread will be derailed. Obviously hard to judge where the shot would be going though.

willabur wrote: »
    Corballis is a 7.5-8 km walk depending on how strong the wind is blowing

This lockdown I haven't picked up a club at all. Don't what it it. Last year I had the putting matt out 24/7. I was chipping dog toys back into their basket and swinging that orange ball swing aid so much the neighbours thought there was an episode of highlander being filmed in our garden.

This lockdown, not at all. Clubs sitting there, hit the odd putt but that's it
    shamco wrote: »

Some contrast .

I think I have got around Corballis in a about 2 hours - running at times.

Palmerstown makes no sense as an Irish golf course - it was the ultimate Celtic Tiger course that and the Heritage.

I just couldn't handle a medal there - with maybe a slight or big hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Winter of 2019 into early 2020 I had set myself a plan to get fitter, stronger & faster. Was getting to the gym 3 times a week to do some strength sessions and fitting in some mobilty work alongside using the Superspeed sticks in between.

Was going well and was seeing good gains over that winter period. Then lockdown 1 hit. No gym, no swinging, no motivation. After courses re-opened I had actually dropped distance relative to where I'd been previously so was pretty frustrating.

Was the same for the bulk of the recent lockdowns, so I'm not feeling confident I'll be coming back to a swing in good shape. Trying to get back into a bit of a rhythm with some exercise and have pulled the speed sticks back out in the last week or so, but still sruggling for motivation with the way things are.

I do have a set of lessons unused from a deal that the GUI academy did for 4 lessons (Drive, Iron, Wedge, Putter) so would like to use them up pretty quickly, once I can to try iron out the kinks quickly enough and get the swing back in shape.

Agree re the other comments, I think the short game will be the area that will have taken the biggest hit and need the most time to get back in the rhythm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

Some contrast .

Palmerstown makes no sense as an Irish golf course - it was the ultimate Celtic Tiger course that and the Heritage.

I love the 12/13 hole option you have in Corballis. Easily get it in just over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Some contrast .

I did the membership there for a year when they open back up after it was bought ~2014 and do really like the course, but I wouldn't consider again for membership, I think it was normally around 4.15-4.30 hrs in 3 balls with no real holdups, good exercise but to long for walking a couple of time a week. It's definitely more a once or twice a year course in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

They are both once a year courses for singles golf. Other than that they are courses to play scrambles on. Genuinely I’d hate to be a member of either of them courses even as fantastic as they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not picked up or even made a swing since August last year. However, artificial grass gone down in my back garden and I kept a few cut offs for chipping off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

When I returned after the first lockdown, I got a rotator cuff injury in my right shoulder. I needed 4 physio sessions and a bunch of weight exercises to fix it. Physio put it down to a long break from golf and then playing 2 rounds and a range session in the first week back. I've been able to do 5 metre chips in my garden but no full swings, so I'll be doing a few weights and full swings before my return.
    Funnily enough, my game was good when I returned in December. I had a first and a third from 4 9-hole rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Found my clubs in the shed today and hit about 100 shots on the beach. Hand't even laid eyes on them since Christmas Day. The first shot was epic: straight, perfectly struck and really close to the marker I had set out about 150yds. All this golf I've watched on telly over the last while has really paid dividends!!

Needless to say, I should have stopped after that first shot.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Been doing a good shot of running since Christmas and also some weights and strength stuff around the house so in pretty good condition. Also been using the yellow whip from amazon which I find very good.

I'm not looking for anymore distance just want to be able hit it straight, looking forward to getting back after Easter, walked the course today and it's in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Found my clubs in the shed today and hit about 100 shots on the beach. Hand't even laid eyes on them since Christmas Day. The first shot was epic: straight, perfectly struck and really close to the marker I had set out about 150yds. All this golf I've watched on telly over the last while has really paid dividends!!

Needless to say, I should have stopped after that first shot.....

On another note, What is it like in general trying to get on the sheet in Rosses Point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

On another note, What is it like in general trying to get on the sheet in Rosses Point?

No sheet yet!! During normal periods, times for Members are made available 1 week in advance. Start of play to around 11:30am on Saturdays are very much in demand, same on Sunday up to about 10am. If you're not booking shortly after the times become Live, you'll be disappointed. After that, there's never any issue: most of the time, you'll get a booking within an hour or so of when you want up to a day before on a Saturday when the evenings stretch a bit. Sunday's you can often rock up onto the tee any time you want after 12:30pm! Mon-Fri, never an issue unless there's something exceptional on e.g. a large group for Green Fees etc. Ladies Day is Tue which is usually busy up to around 10am.

We're spoiled for availability (and course!) here...

Advertisement