Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So 1 or 2 fulfillment centres for our measly 5 million population, its scalable if not comparable.

1 or even 2 FC's in Ireland don't have a chance at holding the stock needed to provide the same selection as you see on .co.uk.

Even as it is, its fairly common to order from .co.uk and the stock to ship from France, Germany, Spain or Poland.

Ireland would need to depend on other FC's in other countries in a much bigger way considering it simply won't have the same selection of fc's as uk does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ordered an item from Amazon Germany of Friday & it arrived Tuesday - very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Discodog wrote: »
    Ordered an item from Amazon Germany of Friday & it arrived Tuesday - very impressed.
    what did you order, was the price good?
    Irrespective of what I select, the delivery charge is obnoxious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

suave.4u wrote: »
    what did you order, was the price good?
    Irrespective of what I select, the delivery charge is obnoxious

Knipex Pliers. They were cheaper than from Amazon UK. Postage was €7

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does anybody know if you can reschedule an amazon delivery? I have a package coming via amazon delivery that is scheduled for saturday. It is quite likely I wont be there so i would like to delay the delivery. Can i do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Ordered an item last night and it says delivery by Saturday except we don't have post on the weekends but maybe they'll send it by courier, have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ordered an item last night and it says delivery by Saturday except we don't have post on the weekends but maybe they'll send it by courier, have to wait and see.

If you are in Dublin (and surrounding areas) Amazon will deliver on Saturdays via their service.

Discodog wrote: »

I ordered a few things on Saturday night and they arrived Monday Lunchtime. Meanwhile an item I bought from a hardware shop in Dublin took a week to get to Galway.

I'm all in favour of supporting irish retailers, but some of them really need to up their game. Both delivery times and website design.

I've gotten lots of things delivered on saturday and sunday via courier from Amazon.

If you are in Dublin (and surrounding areas) Amazon will deliver on Saturdays via their service.

No, I’m in Cork, I don’t think amazon logistics have ventured down this as of yet! More than likely though I’ll probably have to wait until Monday and it will come with the regular post, still making good time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does anybody know if you can reschedule an amazon delivery? I have a package coming via amazon delivery that is scheduled for saturday. It is quite likely I wont be there so i would like to delay the delivery. Can i do that?

Certainly in Dublin scheduled for Saturday means arriving Friday.

Caranica wrote: »
    Certainly in Dublin scheduled for Saturday means arriving Friday.

no i've had stuff on saturday and sunday before.

no i've had stuff on saturday and sunday before.

Absolutely, and so have I. My point was that actual delivery day is usually a day before scheduled delivery day. I've an order out for delivery today that was due tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Quick one - I was looking at the Mi 10T Lite - and it's about £209, which isn't a bad price.

When putting to basket it knocks off most of the VAT, and adds the import fees deposit, bringing the price back up to £210.

Am I safe with customs on this basis - i.e. that Amazon has "charged" the import fees deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yes, that seems absolutely fine, the import fees deposit matches of with Irish VAT.

Thats all you'll be charged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Quick one - I was looking at the Mi 10T Lite - and it's about £209, which isn't a bad price.

When putting to basket it knocks off most of the VAT, and adds the import fees deposit, bringing the price back up to £210.

Am I safe with customs on this basis - i.e. that Amazon has "charged" the import fees deposit?

Yes, fire ahead, you won't have any other charges.

thanks! Have to say it is confusing what they are doing - are they effectively discounting the phone to give it to Irish customers at the same price !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

thanks! Have to say it is confusing what they are doing - are they effectively discounting the phone to give it to Irish customers at the same price !

They're just charging Irish VAT (23%) instead of UK VAT (20%). They still make the same profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Exactly, just instead of the Vat appearing on the same line item as the product, its split out under "import deposit fees".

What you need to watch out for is when the item doesn't go down in price (i.e. still charging UK VAT) and also has a import deposit fee, from what I've seen, this ususally happens when the seller is based in China but open to correction on this.

Ahh yes, ok, makes sense. Thanks all. Haven't clicked purchase yet, but thinking this is a good buy. Actually have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra which I'm getting rid of with CEX as I can't stand the damn thing! Had a Redmi Note 8 Pro before it and actually preferred it to the Samsung!

• Advertisement

No Saturday post as expected, I presume amazon just thinks all of Ireland has been introduced to the wonders of weekend post service!

No Saturday post as expected, I presume amazon just thinks all of Ireland has been introduced to the wonders of weekend post service!

I've four Amazon orders out for delivery today. Don't think they'll ever manage to extend their own delivery service to all of the country but 7 day delivery where they have it is great.

Having said that, up until the end of January my orders were always on delivery cycle 1 so I had them before lunchtime. Since then it's been cycle 2 which means I don't get them until late evening.

Caranica wrote: »
    I've four Amazon orders out for delivery today. Don't think they'll ever manage to extend their own delivery service to all of the country but 7 day delivery where they have it is great.

Having said that, up until the end of January my orders were always on delivery cycle 1 so I had them before lunchtime. Since then it's been cycle 2 which means I don't get them until late evening.

I don’t mind waiting until Monday but I thought for a moment that we’d finally gotten weekend post in boggerland! I can’t see them expanding country wide either at least not for a while anyway but maybe when they get the fulfilment centre up and running.

I don’t mind waiting until Monday but I thought for a moment that we’d finally gotten weekend post in boggerland! I can’t see them expanding country wide either at least not for a while anyway but maybe when they get the fulfilment centre up and running.

you should move to dublin. I had 2 Aliexpress parcels in the post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Davidor2000

Hi all,

I’ve been using Amazon prime for delivery from the U.K. very successfully the last few months. I’ve never experience any particularly long delays clearing customs at Dublin. This weekend, however, I have a package that is showing “initiated customs clearance process” since 0051 on Saturday morning. The package was expected on Sunday and is now overdue.

Has anyone seen a delay like this? Amazon have given me the option to cancel but I would rather not. The order value is greater than €22 but the normal Amazon fees should cover this without any serious delay? Or would it take longer with an order like this?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Hi all,

I’ve been using Amazon prime for delivery from the U.K. very successfully the last few months. I’ve never experience any particularly long delays clearing customs at Dublin. This weekend, however, I have a package that is showing “initiated customs clearance process” since 0051 on Saturday morning. The package was expected on Sunday and is now overdue.

Has anyone seen a delay like this? Amazon have given me the option to cancel but I would rather not. The order value is greater than €22 but the normal Amazon fees should cover this without any serious delay? Or would it take longer with an order like this?

Thanks in advance

I had the same thing, something was due yesterday but sitting in customs in Dublin since Saturday. I've another package due today but that is sitting in customs in Manchester so I don't expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Same - some customs delay since the weekend...

Saturday, 13 March - 12:51 AM - Initiated customs clearance process Dublin, Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

I had an item due today but it hasn't arrived in the final delivery station yet.
    I had the same thing, something was due yesterday but sitting in customs in Dublin since Saturday. I've another package due today but that is sitting in customs in Manchester so I don't expect it.

Bear in mind that they're not necessarily in Dublin or Manchester, that's just where the customs clearance is done remotely.

Also my packages always go: Initiated customs clearance process, completed..., initiated...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Davidor2000

Thanks all,

Seems I am not the only one. I don’t suppose there is any way to contact someone within the process to check what the delay is?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    DUBLIN PARCEL HUB,

Amazon telling me it'll be here (Cork) by 8pm lol!!

Tomorrow it is... come on I want my package :(

Advertisement