Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd love to see Reefer and the Model, just because of the name, which used to be mentioned all the time in the papers.

Copy here.. I'm sure you could change the language option?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Reefer-And-The-Model-Presseheft-136/393133516463?hash=item5b889566af:g:lTEAAOSwy8BgKol9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

saabsaab wrote: »

Looks like a press booklet rather a VHS tape.

English audio is usually an option on German DVDs alright - but not on VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Bound to have royalties of some kind coming in

One episode of Father Ted doesn't count for much, these days

Saw Song For a Raggy Boy recently on TV, hadnt heard about it before
    The true story of a single teacher's courage to stand up against an untouchable prefect's sadistic disciplinary regime and other abuse in a Catholic Reformatory and Industrial School in 1939 Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bound to have royalties of some kind coming in

living in a homeless shelter around this time last year before they kicked him out. a couple of court appearances around that time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

One episode of Father Ted doesn't count for much, these days

Yeah, not going to get much for a cameo. Could have picked to a bit doing the Fr Ted “circuit” alright.

Also, I believe with acting it’s called a “residual”.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: I think it'd be fairer to stick to talking about the forgotten Irish fillums than about an actor who's fallen on hard times. As the saying goes, all that stands between any of us and homelessness are two pay cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I think that you'll find plenty of better contenders for that award including "Fatal Deviation" (1998) an Irish martial arts movie and a long-time favourite amongst boardsies. :D

I think it's a toss up TBH. Fatal Deviation had zero budget. Strength And Honour had quite a lot of money behind it but still managed to be an unmitigated pile of shyte. I remember reading a quote from one of the backers somewhere who said when he saw the end result he felt like he might as well have thrown his money into the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Set in a sec shop off Grafton Street:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4114608/

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

When Brendan Met Trudy...terrible film!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Sounds like When Brendan Met Trudy.

That's the one. Never in a million years would I remember that name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

That's the one. Never in a million years would I remember that name

I even mentioned that film a few pages b4 your first post. I remember it having a great sex scene.

wc - set in a toilet in a jazz club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

vriesmays wrote: »
    wc - set in a toilet in a jazz club.

Saw a bit of it, it wasn't too bad I think?
    I Went Down was pretty good, kinda in that forgotten category now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Saw a bit of it, it wasn't too bad I think?
    I Went Down was pretty good, kinda in that forgotten category now.

I was just going to write about I Went Down , remember though it was quality when I first watched it , I went looking to buy it a while ago and can't seem to get it anywhere

I was just going to write about I Went Down , remember though it was quality when I first watched it , I went looking to buy it a while ago and can't seem to get it anywhere

The going rate is £20 for I Went Down DVD on Amazon Marketplace and Ebay UK

Also seems to be on Amazon Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Thanks man ,I'll check it out ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's one of Conor McPherson's films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Not so much forgotten, just never heard of...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭George White

Absolute grot. Featuring supposedly heroic Irish gangsters putting Israeli embassy staff in a homemade gas chamber.

It seems a lot of Irish movies that come out on physical format become very hard to find very quickly. That was fairly successful too in box office terms, I saw it in a near full cinema when it came out.

• Advertisement

It seems a lot of Irish movies that come out on physical format become very hard to find very quickly. That was fairly successful too in box office terms, I saw it in a near full cinema when it came out.

I remember there was an Australian DVD release around 1999 or so. And then nothing until 2011 when it came out before Christmas on region 2. I'd say the pressing quantity was small enough and sold reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Absolute grot. Featuring supposedly heroic Irish gangsters putting Israeli embassy staff in a homemade gas chamber.

:confused: what??

and who made this? the irish nazi party?

Bloom - James Joyce movie, quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OU812 wrote: »
    Not so much forgotten, just never heard of...

looks laughably bad

My name is Emily - the director had mnd and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭George White

fryup wrote: »
    looks laughably bad

I think it's aimng for a deliberately terrible Troma vibe, but it's so rotten.
    The nearest it has to a name is dear old Brian deSalvo of every voiceover on East Coast FM as the Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

This thread is just a list of Xtravision "Exclusives"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember picking up Dead Long Enough on dvd about 10 years ago in Xtra Vision. It was based in Donegal I believe and It had Michael Sheen playing a character called Harry Jones-The Man with the Bones. It was a bit lame.

Remember RTEs "Ireland On Film" season which they ran circa 98/99? A lot of the films mentioned were shown including I Went Down and a good few more obscure films like Alisa and Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I remember an Irish horror made in the last say 10 years about a couple driving around old country roads and they keep ending up at this odd characters house. It wasn't bad. Could have been set up north.

That is going to really annoy me now...

Advertisement