Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strava - Do you know who's following you?

• 13-03-2021 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0312/1203714-abuse-photography-case/

This guy was following a woman I know. He was using strava and turned up with his camera on two occasions to where she was training.
    His strava account is a dead giveaway, he only appears to follow women.

Strava is great but everyone should turn on their privacy radius around their house and place of work, if they run from there.
    Turn on the request to follow, this means nobody can follow you without you giving permission.
    And get rid of any randomers from your account, especially if the guy named in the article is following you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why would you have followers who you don't know. Like Facebook why have friends who you don't know.

Common sense would say have your activities set to you connections only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Talking to Wottle and a group about this earlier, this guy requested to follow me on Strava a few years ago (maybe start of 2019). I knew I didn't 'know' him but had checked out his profile and as he was essentially a neighbour and seemed to be new to the area, I accepted him.
    He would give me kudos on everything I put up and I would occasionally pass him when running, but something about him just didn't sit right with me and I never acknowledged him when I passed him something I never do would always be waving to other runners and cyclists when I'm out running.

One night, on a very rare excursion out for drinks I was standing at the bus stop to get a bus to luas and on into town and who turns up at the bus stop only this chap. I was already feeling there was something I didn't like about him and this stage and texted the friend I was meeting to tell her. She thought I was over reacting...he got of the bus at the same stop as me and went to the Luas stop where I immediately beelined it to stand beside another man and got on the luas at the other end of the platform to this guy. I texted my friend again and told her if he got off the same stop as me I would be super creeped out. I got off the Luas and walked almost straight into him. She was waiting there for me and continued to insist I was over reacting, sure isn't it perfectly normal to get off the luas at harcourt street....was just a bit too coincidental for me. You can be meeting people in Dundrum, Ranelagh, Stephens Green, City Centre...to get off the exact same stop as me felt so fu*king odd.

Looking back at my chats with her on WhatsApp, this was early June 2019 and I removed him as a follower as soon as we sat down to our meal. It was just too weird...bus stop is also right outside his block so I was never able to shake the idea that he saw me at the bus stop and came out. Maybe I was over reacting that day..but overall, clearly I wasn't.

Had actually told my parents about him too and a guy in work and they were all surprised to hear me speak about something like this as they know me as someone who doesn't get fazed easily...but reading this today, it definitely shook me. Was actually with my folks when I read the message from Wottle and they were horrified!

I've never actually interacted with the guy at all, other than accepting his follow request and him giving me kudos on Strava, but just feel it really goes to show that your gut tells you something isn't right for a reason.

Have shared this with a couple of neighbours with kids. I mean I saw this guy in the local centra during the week and I can't believe how accessible we all have been to him all while the guards are aware of him.

Irish times article on this with some more detail
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-allegedly-found-with-250-000-images-of-women-and-children-1.4508814

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Why would you have followers who you don't know. Like Facebook why have friends who you don't know.

Because at certain times on creating Strava accounts the privacy has been non existant by default and you had to specifically turn it on and create the privacy zones. Not sure what the default settings are these days on creating a new account, but it's worth checking how your account is setup. Might also be other apps which you have linked to your account at some point in order to download some fancy chart and that other site doesn't have the privacy settings you think it does.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

Some people on strava who follow me, I would know through boards and may have met them once or twice. Likewise with people in clubs I'm in who follow me, I may know their name or interacted with them on club whatsapp etc
    I accepted this guy initially just to be nice, in case he wanted tips on where to run etc around the area but as I say, once I identified who he was when passing him, I quickly identified him as someone I didn't want to interact with.

Strava is like boards, it's social media, I see people who are members of dozens of clubs on strava and have hundreds of followers.

Lest we forget, it is not the people who are accepting strangers who are creeps to follow them who are in the wrong. It is the creeps that are in the wrong.
    Your post is bordering on victim blaming there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

robinph wrote: »
    Because at certain times on creating Strava accounts the privacy has been non existant by default and you had to specifically turn it on and create the privacy zones. Not sure what the default settings are these days on creating a new account, but it's worth checking how your account is setup. Might also be other apps which you have linked to your account at some point in order to download some fancy chart and that other site doesn't have the privacy settings you think it does.

That’s scary!!

I’m a Luddite and try and avoid social media.

I think my account on Strava is private (at least I know the few loons following me. :))

How do I set up a privacy setting around my house?

Thanks

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

I’m a Luddite and try and avoid social media.

I think my account on Strava is private (at least I know the few loons following me. :))

How do I set up a privacy setting around my house?

Thanks

TbL

Open strava, click into profile down the bottom, then settings up the top, then scroll down to privacy controls and then privacy zones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Settings/Privacy Controls/Privacy Zones

https://www.strava.com/settings/privacy

Excellent lads. Thanks

I’ve done it, but not sure it’s masked it for my historic runs, does it automatically do that?

TbL

Jesus Christ almighty you can see satellite imagery of your house. Ffs!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I have my privacy settings on and all my runs/workouts are only visible to followers. I have just done a cull on my list though as there were people following me i didn't know. Cant figure out how to turn on the request to follow feature though (maybe website only?).

Very scary indeed!

• Advertisement

Excellent lads. Thanks

I’ve done it, but not sure it’s masked it for my historic runs, does it automatically do that?

TbL

It does. You will still see the run displayed as normal but others won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

From the article:

"In January last year, gardaí went to the home of Mr Boyle but the defendant escaped by jumping over a balcony, said Det Garda Grogan. Gardaí decided not to give chase “for the safety of everyone involved”"

What was that about?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There was a huge security black spot on strava until recetly with the "Fly By" feature which would show you the strava accounts of any strava users you encountered on a run. They've tightened that up recently to make it opt in instead of opt out but you should check that feature is set to "No One"

I have my privacy settings on and all my runs/workouts are only visible to followers. I have just done a cull on my list though as there were people following me i didn't know. Cant figure out how to turn on the request to follow feature though (maybe website only?).

Very scary indeed!

Easier on the site but can be done on the app.
    Privacy controls again and then click profile page and then followers.
    It doesn't seem clear, so do double check. Have someone you know unfollow you and then to try follow you back. It worked for a friend earlier.

It does. You will still see the run displayed as normal but others won't.

Thanks RQ.

I’m now extremely skeptical, are you sure?

Detective Tang might confirm...

I’m actually annoyed that Strava can do that.

The default setting should be privacy and you have to proactively opt out of privacy settings

TbL

Thanks RQ.

The default setting should be privacy and you have to proactively opt out of privacy settings

TbL

Fairly sure, I see people who I know well and know where they live starting and finishing their runs no where near home and start and finish spots are nowhere near each other :D

I should maybe turn this feature back on, I never adjusted it when I moved a couple of years ago.

Thanks RQ.

TbL

I can still see satellite view of a house but don't know if its yours or within your privacy range but start & finish are the same point - I didn't realise you could do satellite view on strava either

Fairly sure, I see people who I know well and know where they live starting and finishing their runs no where near home and start and finish spots are nowhere near each other :D

I should maybe turn this feature back on, I never adjusted it when I moved a couple of years ago.

I've had a friend say they tried my 5 mile route but their garmin only registered 3 miles :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A gang of young travelers were using it for burglaries in South County Dublin a few years back.

I can still see satellite view of a house but don't know if its yours or within your privacy range but start & finish are the same point - I didn't realise you could do satellite view on strava either

Well fcuk it!!!!

I live in the sticks so my address is a bit like “half a mile up the road from Main Street near Cooley Phat Willies”!!!

It doesn’t seem to take a bloody eircode!

TbL

• Advertisement

Well fcuk it!!!!

I live in the sticks so my address is a bit like “half a mile up the road from Main Street near Cooley Phat Willies”!!!

TbL

You could put another privacy zone where your current privacy zone ends to extend it out a bit. Personally don't think the privacy zone extends far enough, especially if you live somewhere where there is only one way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Something to be careful about Strava is joining 'clubs' or other groups within it.

Even though you have full privacy settings on you could join a page, e.g. 100km in April.
    There could be 100s of people in this group and they can all see what time you start your run and where you run.

OOnegative wrote: »
    A gang of young travelers were using it for burglaries in South County Dublin a few years back.

Loads of cyclists in the UK were being robbed of their expensive bikes and the thieves were using strava to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Wow this thread has been an eye-opener, glad that while I have a Strava a/c I have recorded a total of zero activities as it's just for the odd time someone send me a strava link & you need to be logged in to see all the details. My Garmin a/c is private so all good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Some people on strava who follow me, I would know through boards and may have met them once or twice. Likewise with people in clubs I'm in who follow me, I may know their name or interacted with them on club whatsapp etc
    I accepted this guy initially just to be nice, in case he wanted tips on where to run etc around the area but as I say, once I identified who he was when passing him, I quickly identified him as someone I didn't want to interact with.

Strava is like boards, it's social media, I see people who are members of dozens of clubs on strava and have hundreds of followers.

Lest we forget, it is not the people who are accepting strangers who are creeps to follow them who are in the wrong. It is the creeps that are in the wrong.
    Your post is bordering on victim blaming there.

I'm not victim blaming but I see what you are saying. Covid has got peope locking down their accounts due to maybe drifting outside their restrictions or group training.

Wasn't people with expensive bikes told to lock down their accounts as some bikes getting stolen due to it.

Maybe if strava didn't offer all these challenges that you need to open your activities to count might be a better idea.

A handy quick way to see if your privacy zone is functioning is to check on the notifications icon. Go into where people have liked your run and the map displayed will show what other people see of your run, not what you see.

Well fcuk it!!!!

TbL

As long as you know all your followers personally and you have your settings to 'followers only' you're grand. We swear* not to drop in unannounced!

*fingers crossed behind my back :p

A handy quick way to see if your privacy zone is functioning is to check on the notifications icon. Go into where people have liked your run and the map displayed will show what other people see of your run, not what you see.

Are you sure just did that and I can still my house although someone else confirmed my privacy setting is now working

TbL

Dont click into the full map, just click on the notifications for one of your runs and the small map at the top of the screen should show if you have it. Where you started will not show and the gps track will only start from whatever distance you set for the privacy zone.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    There was a huge security black spot on strava until recetly with the "Fly By" feature which would show you the strava accounts of any strava users you encountered on a run. They've tightened that up recently to make it opt in instead of opt out but you should check that feature is set to "No One"

I'm on the fence on this one, it was probably through this feature that he found me and others, on the other hand, it was through this feature I was able to go back through and pinpoint where I had passed the guy that I thought was him and confirm it was him, allowed me to be aware not to get into / start the friendly wave etc that I would do with other runners in the area.
    Possibly no other way I would be able to read that article and go, 'Jesus I know who that is' other than via the flyby feature.

So yeah, on one hand it helped creeps be creeps, but on the other, it allowed me to identify guy who something felt a bit off about and enabled me to steer clear.

Advertisement