Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sustainable transport funding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some highlights so people don't have to click link on their phones
    Minister Hildegarde Naughton has revealed further details of the €12 million sustainable transport package for Galway funded by her Department last week.

Plans for a coastal greenway linking Salthill with Oranmore will be progressed among a number of greenways that will receive funding,
    including €125,000 for a pedestrian and cycling bridge on the old Clifden railway line

€1 million in order to provide an urban greenway in the Knocknacarra area linking Rahoon Road and Kingston Road.

A total of €500,000 will be used towards the development of a new bridge for pedestrians and cyclists at the Salmon Weir Bridge, where funding has also been provided for associated connections and a new public realm.

€80,000 has also been allocated for the progress of a coastal greenway linking Silverstrand with the city centre.

The funding is for 2021, the council likely won't move quick enough to use much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Some highlights so people don't have to click link on their phones ...

€1 million in order to provide an urban greenway in the Knocknacarra area linking Rahoon Road and Kingston Road.

Is this another name for restoration of Miller's Lane? (I think very roughly orange on the map - about 950m)

Otherwise it seems like quite a high price for 775m of bicycle lane (blue).

Or have I totally misunderstood the route?

545085.PNG

There's definitely money specifically for Millars Lane. Whether these are one and the same projects though, is anyone's guess until more details are released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

jkforde wrote: »
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/120002/naughton-reveals-details-of-12-million-sustainable-transport-programme

Some good projects & funding in there, hopefully it won't be swallowed up by consultants, feasibility studies, reviews, etc etc etc.

thats exactly where 90% of it will go, how much was wasted on the cathedral bridge extension already and not a stone turned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭jkforde

really hope this bridge revamp happens, looks good

and are the fishing terraces going to be opened up to the public?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

I heard somewhere that those are private lands or that you need a fishing license or something like that.

The background view would be quite different looking towards fisheries field if those developments take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

really hope this bridge revamp happens, looks good

Where would the bridge approach / access be on the city side?

Dyke Road presumably.
    That was the railway embankment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭jkforde

Geuze wrote: »
    Where would the bridge approach / access be on the city side?
    Here, they'll probably repurpose some of the park
    https://maps.google.com/?q=53.277929,-9.051822

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Dyke Road presumably.
    That was the railway embankment.

Going by the Google satellite maps, it looks more like Waterside/Riverside, rather than Dyke road?

As in, you will walk/cycle off the bridge, and travel along Waterside/Riverside to Woodquay.

OK, I think I see what you mean now.

I think I see the embankment on the satellite view.

It leads to Dyke road, near the junction with the slip road to the Headford road.

Okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Gone live today the plans. They are looking good, if they are fully implemented it would be interesting.

Next Steps

Galway City Council welcome your feedback on the proposed Millar’s Lane Upgrade by the 22nd October 2021.

Not bad at all. I'm loving the permeability improvements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,987 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Was it not a few months go that Cllr McNelis was whinging about anti-social activity in the area and the Chief Supt put in place a 'special policing plan'. Will the 'extremely bothered' residents in Millars Lane area not object to permeability (as it reduces the perceived value of their houses)? https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/120624/easter-policing-plan-to-be-implemented-to-deal-with-large-gatherings-in-salthill-and-knocknacarra https://connachttribune.ie/residents-want-problem-laneway-to-be-closed-off-221/

or

Residents from the White Oaks/Doire Gheal estate on the Clybaun Road have previously expressed concerns over security and noise https://connachttribune.ie/plans-progress-for-new-neighbourhood-park-in-knocknacarra-165/

You seem to love changes to areas that you don't live or work in.

Have you take such a keen interest in changes in your new county?

As a resident of the area - I am too. Hopefully they will come into effect, kids and young adults are already hoping walls between Cruachan, Gort Greine, Gort na Bró etc so only the people affected currently are the older walkers and those with heavy bike. Will be great route for kids going to the local schools GMA and KNS.

Nonsense.

On threads that you know full well I'm reading and posting on, you have been very clear that WFH has given you the opportunity to move to another county, outside what you regard as commutable distance of Galway. No stalking required.

Enjoy your new home.

• Advertisement

John Connolly FF Cllr was on Galway Bay FM yesterday , he was very positive about it I thought from the conversation with Katie Finnegan on Galway Talks.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/podcasts/oct5-2-2/ (From 16h40 onwards)

Creepy that you take such an interest in my life.

Not living or working in an area does not exclude someone from taking an interest in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,260 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm not one to ever come to MrsOb's defence but if ye are both posting on the same threads and you're sharing your personal stories then it's hardly creepy that she knows that information!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Creepy for her to be posting about it though. Specially when it's being used as some kind of attempt at gatekeeping who can have and opinion on something.

I don't know or care where DaCor lives, nor should it really matter for something like this. They aren't influencing a decision, just expressing an opinion on something that's happening

Ya very true. I still don't find it creepy though, it's more picky and pedantic in an effort to 'win' an internet point.

Ya pedantic is a good term. It is very much a reductionist way of looking at the world.

The idea that one has to be living beside/near Millars Lane / <insert place name here> to be able comment on it. Pure daft if ya ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

It is extraordinarily creepy considering she raised the issue completely unprovoked in response to an entirely innocuous comment. I'm genuinely disturbed by the mindset on display.

If she didn't know Dacor from similar threads they post in and didn't have a history of a back and forth with him then ya that would be creepy. But Dacor shared that info in a thread she posts in, it ain't creepy. Pedantic and unnecessary, obviously.

Genuinely creepy would be if she knew he didn't live there but not from his public posts here. If you're sharing info here then it's fair game for people to use it. Very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Have to agree with Ben.Schlomo here. If you're both posting in threads common to you both, you can expect one to travel over to the other. We're not posting in a vacuum here.

DaCor is entitled to post what he wants, about whatever he wants, but MrsO is entitled to read them and comment.

The "Creepy" comment was a poor attempt at thanks whoring. And worse still, it worked.

• Advertisement

So, sustainable transport funding eh...

Advertisement