Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are putters so expensive

• 12-03-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Well guys, can someone explain why they are so expensive. I have a mallet putter I bought in lifestyle sports over 10yrs ago.. it felt nice and was bike were the reasons I bought it, I'm a high HC but I putt ok, AVG just over 2 per hole.. while they all look lovely I can't see or understand the benefits of scottys and the rest?

I have a set of Mizuno JPX pros, I don't scrimp on other areas..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

why would it be any different to other clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

willabur wrote: »
    why would it be any different to other clubs?

I kinda see what you mean.. my explanation would be it wouldn't have the forces put on it like other clubs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Russman

They don’t have to be though. I’ve an Odyssey that cost me €89 back in 2013. Mind you it’s showing it’s age now and when golf gets back will be replaced with the new White Hot OG that they’ve just released.
    You can also get a Scotty Cameron from the gallery that could be €10k. And anything in between.

Mostly you’re paying for branding, marketing & probably a little bit of R&D. Like everything there’s premium products, middle of the road and entry level.

Plus you do use it probably almost as much as all your other clubs combined.

Russman wrote: »
    They don’t have to be though. I’ve an Odyssey that cost me €89 back in 2013. Mind you it’s showing it’s age now and when golf gets back will be replaced with the new White Hot OG that they’ve just released.
    You can also get a Scotty Cameron from the gallery that could be €10k. And anything in between.

Mostly you’re paying for branding, marketing & probably a little bit of R&D. Like everything there’s premium products, middle of the road and entry level.

I just used Scotty as an example, but all I see is putters for 150-200+. My Wilson putter cost €26, it even has take a couple of belts hitting the bag in temper and no issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

Russman wrote: »

Not sure about R&D karsten putter design from the 80's (I think) is used in a lot of expensive putters today for example Sik Pro c, TaylorMade Juno, odyssey.
    What makes them expensive is the demand due to good marketing

• Advertisement

MorganIRL wrote: »
    I just used Scotty as an example, but all I see is putters for 150-200+. My Wilson putter cost €26, it even has take a couple of belts hitting the bag in temper and no issues..

You can buy a scotty from alliexpress for 75€ be it morally right or not. I remember mygolfspy tested the fakes against the real ones and the fakes were just as good.
    https://mygolfspy.com/real-scotty-vs-fake-scotty/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Jimbee wrote: »
    You can buy a scotty from alliexpress for 75€ be it morally right or not. I remember mygolfspy tested the fakes against the real ones and the fakes were just as good.

Except for the fakes falling apart, breaking for no real reason, not having the same balance or feel etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

One thing I find is people will throw out €400 no problem on a driver but try get a putter as cheap as possible.
    Always find it unusual as a putter to me should be your most important purchase as it’s only club you’re guaranteed to use every hole. That said a cheap putter can work just as well if it’s suits your eye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I think most ( not all of course ) buy a Scotty Cameron to own a Scotty Cameron. Not because it's better but they like the look and the look others give it. I always notice when someone is using one, love the look of them. They just look like quality, never found one I liked using though. Imagine it would defeat the point to buy a Scooty Cameroon

As to the original question. Quality. 100 Lifestyle sports putters vs 100 Scottys and the discrepancies would be obvious. You can also feel the quality, the grips are better, weights are usually better etc. A €100 putter vs a €300 putter is a different question altogether, your talking small percentages better then.
    Why not use a set of Spalding instead of your Mizuno's?

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    because we pay the asking prices

That's what I felt.. but as was said they are some sexy looking putters out there

With regards price of putter, it was what I cud afford plus it felt nice. Still have the original grip, handy now it has my finger prints..

Why I don't play with Spalding's is probably cause bigger brands have I believe more testing done, as I have already said under the forces we put a club under trying to get the most out of it.. putters just have to be balanced and the weight has to suit u.. putter put under no extremes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Years ago I was going trough putters at a rate of knots... one day I was buying a new driver, and was trying to haggle a little, to meet in the middle the sales guy threw in a sh*tty Dunlop putter that had a €20 price tag on it! I’ve not used another putter since!

With regards price of putter, it was what I cud afford plus it felt nice. Still have the original grip, handy now it has my finger prints..

Why I don't play with Spalding's is probably cause bigger brands have I believe more testing done, as I have already said under the forces we put a club under trying to get the most out of it.. putters just have to be balanced and the weight has to suit u.. putter put under no extremes..

Nothing wrong with that, I used a Cleveland putter for a few years and refused to change for the same reason, I picked up a used Odysessy 7 one day and just wanted it. Really liked it until the face insert fell out, Callaway sent me a brand new putter after an email but with a slightly different neck design. My miss was always left due to the weight and face angle, after two years I decided to change. I had some spare cash due to covid so I had a decent budget and got the TM Spider X after trying it on the course a few times and loving it.

I would imagine the more expensive putters come with tighter tolerances just like the irons. The face weight,lie angle,feel and neck design are all researched where all the sports shop putters ( MD, Spalding,low end wilson etc ) seem to copy the more popular and expensive putters but don't feel as nice, have the same finish quality or look as good.

I don't think the forces they come under make a difference to be honest, I've yet to see a Spalding clubhead break. If anything the putter is more up to extreme forces as the more expensive ones are usually a solid block of metal.

With so many gorgeous putters out there, I get a serious case of FOMO... And always think I shud change...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Havent changed my putter in about 17 years (Ping pengyo), never felt the need. If I'm missing putts its cos my stroke is awful. Don't think a new one would improve my game, unlike a driver

With so many gorgeous putters out there, I get a serious case of FOMO... And always think I shud change...

I used to have that issue with irons and woods until recently but never had that issue with putters. Very few feel nice to me which is a blessing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mushy wrote: »
    Havent changed my putter in about 17 years (Ping pengyo), never felt the need. If I'm missing putts its cos my stroke is awful. Don't think a new one would improve my game, unlike a driver

Does it have an insert on the face? I've a Ping Karsten Zing 2i that has their 'isopur face' for years and have never had an inclination to change since the first putt.

I wouldn't mind getting a spare of something very similar, just to have in case of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

PARlance wrote: »
    Does it have an insert on the face? I've a Ping Karsten Zing 2i that has their 'isopur face' for years and have never had an inclination to change since the first putt.

I wouldn't mind getting a spare of something very similar, just to have in case of an accident.

No insert, but very similar to yours actually

PARlance wrote: »

Just had a Google for mine.. good to see they still make it...... I think. Wilson prostaff triangle weight.. £39.. inflation I presume is the price increase in 10yrs+ :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I treated myself to a scotty last year. Was looking for a change and really liked the the look and feel of it. I forked out the 400 quid but I hope to have it for years.

Since I started playing golf at about 18 iv had the following potters
    Spalding blade putter that felt like a sledge hammer
    Dunlop mallet that was like a fake odyssey 2 ball but one day I looked at the face and it was all over the place couldn't hit it after that
    About 6/7 years ago I bought a Nike Method core and the first time spending 100 quid on a putter.
    After a while I put on a fat super stroke grip but then last year i really struggled with distance control so wanted to go back to a smaller grip.

For me then I has happy to spend the money on the scotty as I felt it was something I could trust to be well balanced, well made, suits my eye and looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭bmay529

Whatever works best for you is the right putter regardless of price. I started with a Ping anser for many years, then moved to an Odyssey 2-Ball for many more years, then put a thick Superstroke 3.0 grip on it and for a few years now have used a Scotty. I always liked the look of a Scotty, which for me are all about looks, quality materials (stainless steel), quality workmanship, balance, feel... but you pay for the privilege. I tried several Scotties before I found one I am happy/confident with. There are a few putter brands in the same price range but Scotty has the name/history and marketing clout behind it... but I repeat if I had a €20 putter that worked for me it would be my gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Simple. 6 words. Drive for show, putt for dough

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

flanzer wrote: »
    Simple. 6 words. Drive for show, putt for dough

Lies I’m afraid.

Lies I’m afraid.

It would make for a good poll:
    Drive the ball 330yds (felt 300yds wasn't that impressive) or hole every putt when on the green

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Well one thing for sure, I’ve never hit a putt OB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

It would make for a good poll:
    Drive the ball 330yds (felt 300yds wasn't that impressive) or hole every putt when on the green

Putts all day long...

Although to be fair I'm a big hitter so distance of the tee is not an issue for me...

God, I can't wait to hit a drive I a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Well guys, can someone explain why they are so expensive. I have a mallet putter I bought in lifestyle sports over 10yrs ago.. it felt nice and was bike were the reasons I bought it, I'm a high HC but I putt ok, AVG just over 2 per hole.. while they all look lovely I can't see or understand the benefits of scottys and the rest?

Simple, we associate higher quality with higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Oddysey stroke lab have mostly been reduced to £129.
    Picked up a 9 model as i think they're a lovely looking putter.

• Advertisement

Oddysey stroke lab have mostly been reduced to £129.
    Picked up a 9 model as i think they're a lovely looking putter.

But out of interest how was ur old putter? How was ur putting?

As someone else asked. 300yds or 1 putt.. I'd take 1 putt all day..

Advertisement