Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think Shane lowry will qualify for the Ryder Cup this year?

Options
  • 05-03-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

He is obviously good enough to compete against anyone in the world.

But to qualify for a ryder Cup you need to be consistent. Shane plays well in short streaks. He even admitted that himself.

I don't think he will be picked out of friendship

Will Shane make the ryder Cup this year? 64 votes

Yes
    89% 57 votes
    No
    10% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I voted no put I reckon he will still get a pick... not to many European players with major and world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

He's too streaky. Will need to get in with good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He simply isn't playing well enough - and in a twisted way it will be harder for him to get a pick. He would be a great pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I reckon he’s a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭dublin49

he is way off the mark at the moment.Plenty of time though but needs some big finishes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No, love Shane, remember him from working in local golf shop, leads a down to earth lifestyle but at the end of the day he is waaaay too streaky a putter and in Matchplay you want a putter over all else.
    He needs to qualify or he won't make it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He is not even on the radar of the Ryder Cup right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Not a chance. Unless he wins at least once before it and performs in the majors there’s no way he should get a pick.

with his short game I would expect him to do better at par 5s in general

benji79 wrote: »
    I reckon he’s a certainty

Well at least we know who the one yes vote is :D

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Well at least we know who the one yes vote is :D

he must be back in hotel after his round

Well at least the public have spoken - (LOL)

Do you think covid should end ? - 99 % think yes.

Jaysus - maybe Shane's coach / mind guru should show him this survey. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Wait and see, I reckon he’ll be on it. Streaky player can be good, just needs it to fall right

benji79 wrote: »
    Wait and see, I reckon he’ll be on it. Streaky player can be good, just needs it to fall right

I hope you are right, but based on current form he wouldn't even be on the shortlist of potential picks.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I hope you are right, but based on current form he wouldn't even be on the shortlist of potential picks.

He doesn't have a hope.

Unless he wins a major or something - then the pick argument changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The fact that he's a rookie will make it even harder for him to get a pick in my opinion.

He needs to drastically improve his form, and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

To be honest I hope Padraig selects with dignity and doesn't pick him if his performances aren't good enough. The last thing you want is something like Darren Clarke picking a massively out of form Lee Westwood who ended up going 0-3 in 2016 because they were mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

He might get a wildcard pick IF he wins something close to the cutoff but that is his only chance. Too inconsistent otherwise. Nice guy. Good player. But....

Expect the US to give Europe one hell of a hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I doubt he would want to be picked given the form he is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I really hope he does make it, but on current form its hard to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

touts wrote: »
    He might get a wildcard pick IF he wins something close to the cutoff but that is his only chance. Too inconsistent otherwise. Nice guy. Good player. But....

Expect the US to give Europe one hell of a hammering.

I expected the exact same in Paris, and we know how that turned out. Just can't see Europe getting hammered with the quality of player available. Rahm, Rory, hovland, fleetwood, fitzpatrick, Hatton, casey etc.
    Might not win, but traditionally its the USA that have the ones getting well beaten. Lots of big ego's in their locker room, so things can go very wrong very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Form rookies often miss out. There’s no way he’ll pick an out of form rookie.

Shane doesn’t really have any excuse, unlike a lot of players his major gives him the ability to hand pick his events and he keeps missing cuts. He needs to win and play well quickly to force his way into the team.

Shane must have seen the poll as a good kick :D He is flying it.

It is a shocker of a survey result - The 2019 Open Champion and nobody (well 10%) can see him make the Ryder cup team in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It is a shocker of a survey result - The 2019 Open Champion and nobody (well 10%) can see him make the Ryder cup team in 2021.

Bit to go yet for him Fix :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just to put numbers on it, Shane is currently 19th on the World Points table and 33rd on the European table.
    The 90% are reflecting that even with an improvement in form he still has serious points to make up - and assume those ahead of him falter.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement