Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dacia Spring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,018 ✭✭✭✭unkel

44 hp ! nearly fell of my chair laughing !!!

Don't be silly. The relevant figure for acceleration is torque as has been explained to you several times on this forum. This car has 125NM of torque, which is 35% more than a typical petrol supermini like a Toyota Aygo. This car will have no problem at all keeping up with traffic on any road.
    oinkely wrote: »
    i'd buy one for the kids when they are learning to drive.

Exactly. First thing that came to my mind too. My kids are nearly of that age now. If we could get one for €10k here, I'd be tempted. It will have glacial depreciation and will probably also be pretty reasonable to insure for a learner driver or someone just qualified.

unkel wrote: »
    Don't be silly. The relevant figure for acceleration is torque as has been explained to you several times on this forum. This car has 125NM of torque, which is 35% more than a typical petrol supermini like a Toyota Aygo. This car will have no problem at all keeping up with traffic on any road.

What are you talking about ? the car is slow as F1ck, what's the quoted 0-100 again ?.

Sure it will keep up.......eventually lol, when it gets to speed.

Your average ICE supermini has a gearbox that can provide torque in any gear electrics can't do this this makes a big difference, while you might have 65 Nm torque in a 3 Cylinder 900 CC engine, you can get this in any gear mostly and at around 5000-6000 rpm give or take and EV an EV provide most of this at low speeds and falls off rapidly at higher speed so you no longer have 125 Nm of torque at 80 Km/hr. Fine for slow driving and slow it will be lol.

No it won't. If it's only capable of reaching 105kmh they will sell hardly any. If it could do 140kmh it might.

I don't know about that, there are plenty of EV drivers I see driving at 60-80 Km/Hr on the M7 and they're not all MK I Leaf drivers either.

Sure, the Dacia EV might make an ok car if it's really cheap that is a car for school runs and shops, then again would you need to buy a new car for this anyway ?

I wonder how many unsuspecting drivers might not know about the ridiculously low speed limit, will the dealers tell them ? there are dealers that won't allow you take a car beyond the town and will be stuck to driving no more than 50 Km/Hr.

What are you talking about ? the car is slow as F1ck, what's the quoted 0-100 again ?

I'd say a fair guess is that this car would spend about 99.9999% of its driving time not doing a 0-100km/h sprint ;)

Ideal second family car no matter if your first car is ICE or EV, for local trips, commute, learner / kids driving etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

According to info on the web it's a top speed of 125km/h with a 0-100km/h time of 15s. Perfectly adequate for it's intended market.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/450668/everything-about-dacia-spring-electric/

• Advertisement

I'd say a fair guess is that this car would spend about 99.9999% of its driving time not doing a 0-100km/h sprint ;)

Ideal second family car no matter if your first car is ICE or EV, for local trips, commute, learner / kids driving etc.

No it won't spend most of it's time doing 0-100 Km/Hr sprints but it's 0-100 time is a good indication of how slow it will actually be to accelerate.

Still a fair bit to spend on a run-a-bout, far better cars out there, could buy a 10 K car that's a lot better than that and so what if it costs more to run, 5K would buy a lot of petrol for a run-a-bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No it won't spend most of it's time doing 0-100 Km/Hr sprints but it's 0-100 time is a good indication of how slow it will actually be to accelerate.

Still a fair bit to spend on a run-a-bout, far better cars out there, could buy a 10 K car that's a lot better than that and so what if it costs more to run, 5K would buy a lot of petrol for a run-a-bout.

Wait... Your giving out about a new EV for 10k.

Jaysus talk about shifting the goal posts. It's like someone on twitter looking to be outraged.

And 10 k could buy me lots of bicycles.. what's your point!

listermint wrote: »
    Wait... Your giving out about a new EV for 10k.

Jaysus talk about shifting the goal posts. It's like someone on twitter looking to be outraged.

How do we know it will cost 10K ? I suppose for 10 K it aint bad for new. ( for some people )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Having drove the e-Up! for a good two years, it's headline figures of 0-100km/h in 12.5s and a top speed of 130km/h didn't cause any issues. The only time the car felt a bit anaemic was on 120km/h motorways, and even then it wasn't an issue.
    The instant torque meant that I was ahead of people at any traffic light. Most people aren't able to achieve there car's rated acceleration when doing manual gear changes.

Look at the entry level Yaris, it has a 0-100 time of 14.6s, there is space in the market entry level cars that don't go like rockets, if you want a hot hatch go buy one.

liamog wrote: »
    Having drove the e-Up! for a good two years, it's headline figures of 0-100km/h in 12.5s and a top speed of 130km/h didn't cause any issues. The only time the car felt a bit anaemic was on 120km/h motorways, and even then it wasn't an issue.
    The instant torque meant that I was ahead of people at any traffic light. Most people aren't able to achieve there car's rated acceleration when doing manual gear changes.

Look at the entry level Yaris, it has a 0-100 time of 14.6s, there is space in the market entry level cars that don't go like rockets, if you want a hot hatch go buy one.

I don't drive a hot hatch but at least the i3 has some decent power.

• Advertisement

According to info on the web it's a top speed of 125km/h with a 0-100km/h time of 15s. Perfectly adequate for it's intended market.

Thanks for clarifying, indeed perfectly adequate and the above Aygo does it in 14s so that gearbox isn't really all that helpful, is it now, Mad_Lad? :p
    listermint wrote: »

A nice eBike from the likes of Specialized actually costs about €10k :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How do we know it will cost 10K ? I suppose for 10 K it aint bad for new. ( for some people )

Well I'm going off the figures that you are raging against... So you tell me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

https://insideevs.com/reviews/450668/everything-about-dacia-spring-electric/

Wonder if they will bother with RHD, I see it will not be available in the UK.
    Hope so, would be a great car for many here at the right price.

Interestingly looking at Polo and Yaris sales for 2020, looks like 2,470/3,318 were the under 1000cc variants with 0-100km/h times of 15.4s and 14.6s.

Seems the majority of the buyers of small cars don't care about the traffic light grand prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Mad_Lad you need to get on to the newspapers about this level of injustice.
    I can see the headline already.
    "Local well-to-do man upset at poor people in cheap cars slowing him down".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thanks for clarifying, indeed perfectly adequate and the above Aygo does it in 14s so that gearbox isn't really all that helpful, is it now, Mad_Lad? :p

A nice eBike from the likes of Specialized actually costs about €10k :p

How much of your weekly shop and 2 kids can you get into/onto the eBike?:cool:

:p

Indeed the gearbox is quite helpful when you have a narrow torque band of an ICE and want to go faster than 120 Km/Hr :D

0-100 doesn't tell the full story either, over taking power is just as important as 0-100 sometimes more so and at higher speeds electrics suffer you don't get the torque like you do from slow speeds which is where a gearbox would help in an EV, of course if you have enough power it doesn't matter and they can just take some power from the low end either but then it wouldn't feel so fast at the low end. The ICE gearbox allows torque in any gear at any speed until engine revs don't allow it if for instance the top gear isn't tall enough.

Mad_Lad you need to get on to the newspapers about this level of injustice.
    I can see the headline already.
    "Local well-to-do man upset at poor people in cheap cars slowing him down".

I don't consider someone who can pay 10K for a car poor, lol. But yea would be frustrating being stuck in a queue of cars because the Dacia EV hasn't the power and is too scared to over take a tractor over a short distance. :D

I don't consider someone who can pay 10K for a car poor, lol. But yea would be frustrating being stuck in a queue of cars because the Dacia EV hasn't the power and is too scared to over take a tractor over a short distance. :D

As the numbers show, you probably already are with all the Polo's and Yaris's on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Unlikely to be sold here if they decide not to offer it in the uk ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

As the numbers show, you probably already are with all the Polo's and Yaris's on the road.

Yes quite, but at least they can go faster if they need to overtake on the motorway. :D

Yes quite, but at least they can go faster if they need to overtake on the motorway. :D

Reminds me of the old Toyota advert, "the car in front is a Toyota".
    Yes because they're so bloody slow and driven by a nun who's in my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

Happened to be in a Nunnery (Not a Shakespearean one :D) recently..

Almost every resident car parked there was a Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Firblog

I do my rural commute - 90km - daily in 152 Leaf 24, drive @ 100kph on N road whole way, bit of a range issue in this type of weather. If I could get a brand new EV with 250Km range for 15K I'd be first in the Q.

https://en.media.groupe.renault.com/news/the-all-new-dacia-spring-taking-the-electrical-revolution-for-a-spin-ace9-989c5.html

They've squeezed a few more kilometers of WLTP range out of it to bring it up to 230km range.

There will also be a van version and there will be a version with pleather seats for business/car sharing.

I'd be happy enough to see them as An Post local delivery vans or Pizza vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If the Government were series about trying to get more people driving electric cars in this country then they would make sure Dacia can bring this here and also offer better incentives for people to change from there ICE cars to electric cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We don't need purchase incentives as there are now plenty of options across various price points.
    We need proper charging hubs along all routes, then in cities/towns.
    Proper hubs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    We don't need purchase incentives as there are now plenty of options across various price points.
    We need proper charging hubs along all routes, then in cities/towns.
    Proper hubs
    These smaller vehicles don't need infrastructure. They charge overnight at home or at the depot or at the dedicated car sharing spot.
    I do accept the point that Ireland's charging infrastructure is poor in terms of the number of points available and the speeds offered at those points.

The maximum charging speed for this car is momentarily 30kw with an optional "fast charger"
    maximum charging speed AC is 7.4kw
    Acceleration 0 to 62 is 19.1seconds
    Acceleration 80 to 120 is 26.2 seconds.
    This is not a car for long journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This is not a car for long journeys.

That’s why they call it a city car.

Advertisement