Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

Wibbs wrote: »

I always find it interesting how the influence that women have over their partners is ignored, or the influence mothers have over their children. A wife whispering suggestions in the kings ear, after giving him 2 orgasms, likely had more influence than many of his advisors. Or a mother telling her son that he needs to be strong, and fight to keep the kingdom, his father created (with her help).

It just makes me wonder why people are so quick to accept the idea that most women stayed in the shadows never saying anything. My grandmother grew up at a time where supposedly women were meek, but.. she was never a meek person, easily controlling my grandfather every step of the way.

How many wars were started because a woman took offense and demanded someone protect her honor?

It's just so.. unrealistic. This need to exempt women from history, or from having any responsibility for what happened. As if they were constantly in the kitchen, the bed, or the birthing area.. but never taking part of decisions.

If anyone wants a laugh go on Twitter and look at the outrage over Burger King tweeting.. Women belong in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think it was Burger King they had in mind when they thought up quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

I didn't realise this until recently. But there is not a single male presenter on daytime radio on 2fm bar Eoin McDermott who is now gone. I haven't actually listened to 2fm in a long time so i don't know who's replaced him at the moment but i would say the odds of his full time replacement being another man are quite low. Yet there's no issue with this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    I seem to recall reading that far more women listen to daytime radio than men, if that's the case it would make sense that the presenter makeup reflects that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I seem to recall reading that far more women listen to daytime radio than men, if that's the case it would make sense that the presenter makeup reflects that.

What do you reckon the split is of men watching football v women, yet we have the increasing clamor to have evenly split pundit panels of men and women.

The reply isn't a pop at you, if it reads like it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Oh I agree, but I say let the market decide in stuff like this. Women's sports for the most part get a tiny fraction of the attention and generate the least amount in revenue compared to men's sport, so that's the reality. Looking for evenly split panels as some sort of regulation is a nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I'd say the same of arenas where women generate more interest and revenue than men.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Who is to say that women prefer listening to women though? I know there's usually quite a vocal group who will call for an increase in the share of female presence, but that opinion isn't necessarily shared by the female populace as a rule.

• Advertisement

I did a quick search but didn’t find a male/female breakdown for 2fm.
    The following from 2017 is for radio listenership in general:
    Radio continues to dominate audio listening in Ireland with 3.1 million tuning in each day; up 14,000 from this time last year. Listeners tune in on average for over 4 hours per day and listenership is split 51% female and 49% male.
    The data may be there somewhere, I didn’t do an exhaustive search.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/1026/915436-breakfast-republic-serving-up-the-perfect-morning-mix/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ligerdub wrote: »
    Who is to say that women prefer listening to women though? I know there's usually quite a vocal group who will call for an increase in the share of female presence, but that opinion isn't necessarily shared by the female populace as a rule.

Zoe Ball took over a prime slot from Chris Evans on BBC2...lost one million listeners, got herself a huge pay rise despite of that of course.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/radio-presenters/pound-every-listener-lost-bbc-has-given-zoe-ball-whopping-raise/

I hope 2fm have listeners to spare...like many on here, I couldn't name a single 2fm presenter.

It takes a long time and a lot of talent to replace lost listeners...if the "talent" is the cause of the loss, then a lot of money is going to be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Zoe Ball took over a prime slot from Chris Evans on BBC2...lost one million listeners, got herself a huge pay rise despite of that of course.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/radio-presenters/pound-every-listener-lost-bbc-has-given-zoe-ball-whopping-raise/

I hope 2fm have listeners to spare...like many on here, I couldn't name a single 2fm presenter.

It takes a long time and a lot of talent to replace lost listeners...if the "talent" is the cause of the loss, then a lot of money is going to be lost.

Yeah that was a strange one alright. She seems like a pleasant enough person but she's a bit "meh" all in all.

In that case I think it's more a case of a popular (in the sense that a lot of people liked him even if a lot of other people really did not) presenter was replaced by a fairly nothing choice, but who happened to be a woman.

We used to listen to 2FM in the office but no more. It's pure crap these days. Men slowly edged out over the last 5 years. Very little music played, too much talking and fillers, very female orientated subject lines. An Interesting form of equality. Not sure what their game is.

We used to listen to 2FM in the office but no more. It's pure crap these days. Men slowly edged out over the last 5 years. Very little music played, too much talking and fillers, very female orientated subject lines. An Interesting form of equality. Not sure what their game is.

Appeal to folks making the most noise and can do the most damage if you piss them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have two young children and I worry about the world they will grow up in.

You can't say
    .... Majority of Asulym seekers are bogus
    .... It is more likely to be black on black crime
    .... Those who live in social housing are less likely to work.
    .... Certain religions are more prone to terrorism

We shouldn't judge the many by the actions of a few.

This seems to not apply to men, whereby by anything any man does is thrust on "all men to stop". It seems to ne perfectly fine to judge men by the worst of us, and all others as a victim. Just look at Twitter last night.

The world genuinely makes no sense at times.

See sexist post from FG TD, she will vote for woman for no reason than gender (sums that party up)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarrollJennifer/status/1369781427643035649

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

I have two young children and I worry about the world they will grow up in.

You can't say
    .... Majority of Asulym seekers are bogus
    .... It is more likely to be black on black crime
    .... Those who live in social housing are less likely to work.
    .... Certain religions are more prone to terrorism

We shouldn't judge the many by the actions of a few.

This seems to not apply to men, whereby by anything any man does is thrust on "all men to stop". It seems to ne perfectly fine to judge men by the worst of us, and all others as a victim. Just look at Twitter last night.

The world genuinely makes no sense at times.

See sexist post from FG TD, she will vote for woman for no reason than gender (sums that party up)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarrollJennifer/status/1369781427643035649

Something i wonder if a party got to a point where there were more female than male TDs would they be made reduce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Covid pandemic must be over. I only glanced at it but for the last while Sky News has been running a special on penis wielding oppressors killing, raping and abusing women (in The UK), slowing down their cars to look at them and so on.

Names of women killed by men have been read out. There's been mention of the "fetishization of schoolgirls" and the patriarchal culture. There was something about the Yorkshire Ripper and crossing the road when you see a woman (I didn't catch whether men are wrong to cross or wrong not to cross - or both)

Have also had what appears to be a male feminist on saying how he never feels afraid walking around drunk at night whereas a woman would therefore patriarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just got the tail end of Ray Darcy there on the radio telling us men to get our act together and for parents to inform their boys not to treat women a certain way. Various women texting in how afraid they are of men and men that walk near them etc etc

He was talking specifically about women out walking and how they don't feel safe. And of course its only women!

He mentioned that his wife refers to a certain area near where they live as a "rape area" so she won't walk that way even though "no rapes have ever been recorded there".

I started following richard chambers the journalist on twitter as he was good for the covid numbers. But any tweet he likes appears in my timeline. He likes a lot of the feminist whinges.

I stopped following him last night as I couldn't take any more of these ridiculous tweets from feminist appearing in my timeline.

The final straw was one from some American 2FM DJ louise McSharry I think it was. Cribbing about men saying "as the father of daughters". Senseless rubbish.

I'll just have to search for the covid numbers myself.

END RANT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The Covid pandemic must be over. I only glanced at it but for the last while Sky News has been running a special on penis wielding oppressors killing, raping and abusing women (in The UK), slowing down their cars to look at them and so on.

Names of women killed by men have been read out. There's been mention of the "fetishization of schoolgirls" and the patriarchal culture. There was something about the Yorkshire Ripper and crossing the road when you see a woman (I didn't catch whether men are wrong to cross or wrong not to cross - or both)

Have also had what appears to be a male feminist on saying how he never feels afraid walking around drunk at night whereas a woman would therefore patriarchy.

Y'know, this is something I've been thinking recently. Around this time last year, it really looked like much of this woke / feminist BS was going to be ignored for the nonsense it is because humanity was facing a REAL challenge and it was shoulders to the wheel time. Fast forward twelve months and all these people / organisations have exploited Covid and actually intensified the man hate.

Anyway, The Irish Examiner aren't going to let Sky News be the only ones to shout about all the violence us males (collectively of course) mete out upon every woman we come across:
    "Women's worlds 'shrinking' due to male violence"
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40242317.html

I'm not even going to quote from it as it's such a stinking pile of crap - you can predict the content I'm sure! And the Examiner have gone even further by having a special interactive 'all men are bastards' form asking women (and only women of course) to submit their "lived experiences" of violence against women. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Twitter or social media is great when it's a good cause and can be useful but is so bad for group think and hyberbole...

it's would be funny and stupid only that corporation and businesses take notice of this stuff when a group of people make a protest against an advert or person it's trial by social media first....

Y'know, this is something I've been thinking recently. Around this time last year, it really looked like much of this woke / feminist BS was going to be ignored for the nonsense it is because humanity was facing a REAL challenge and it was shoulders to the wheel time. Fast forward twelve months and all these people / organisations have exploited Covid and actually intensified the man hate.

Anyway, The Irish Examiner aren't going to let Sky News be the only ones to shout about all the violence us males (collectively of course) mete out upon every woman we come across:
    "Women's worlds 'shrinking' due to male violence"
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40242317.html

I'm not even going to quote from it as it's such a stinking pile of crap - you can predict the content I'm sure! And the Examiner have gone even further by having a special interactive 'all men are bastards' form asking women (and only women of course) to submit their "lived experiences" of violence against women. :rolleyes:

For the last 30 years all women had to do was raise an issue and people would be bending over backwards to make changes and accommodate these women.

With the lack of safety walking the streets it is nearly impossible to get a solution. Police can't be everywhere and the streets can be dangerous for men too. This latest campaign of blaming all men in the hope they will speak to other men and nobody will be attacked is not going to work. Simply because men do not have control over other mens darkest or violent impulses.

Feminists feel completely powerless over this issue because they can not control it.

I started following richard chambers the journalist on twitter as he was good for the covid numbers. But any tweet he likes appears in my timeline. He likes a lot of the feminist whinges.

I stopped following him last night as I couldn't take any more of these ridiculous tweets from feminist appearing in my timeline.

The final straw was one from some American 2FM DJ louise McSharry I think it was. Cribbing about men saying "as the father of daughters". Senseless rubbish.

I'll just have to search for the covid numbers myself.

END RANT.
    Yes, in the past one could "like" away on Twitter and hardly anyone would ever know.
    Now I'm conscious on my account with my name on it not to like things that question feminist views/misandry/similar of one sort or another.
    I do have an anonymous account but I don't read the feed on that much.

maybe
    py2006 wrote: »
    Just got the tail end of Ray Darcy... his wife...
    That's all you needed to say Py and I would have been able to fill in the rest of the blanks. D'Arcy went full on right on male "feminist" years ago and regularly brings his wife into such things.

The actual Facts are that men are significantly more likely to be physically assaulted by a random stranger of an night out or walking through the "wrong area". Link one from Australia.

Data released by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare revealed more than one in three assaults on males which resulted in hospitalisation in 2014-15, where the attacker was specified, were perpetrated by someone they did not know.

That compared to about one in 14 for females, AIHW Professor James Harrison said.

That's a huge disparity and yet do we hear about that to nearly the same degree? We do not.

It's massively based on perception EG another link from that bastion of men's rights The Guardian.

Older women are most likely to feel unsafe walking alone after dark but among the least likely to be attacked, according to a Guardian analysis of crime survey data.

Meanwhile, young men tend to express few fears about their safety, but experience more personal crime than any other group. The analysis comes as crime statistics show a 27% increase in reported offences involving violence against the person.

The survey asked almost 8,000 people aged 16 and over living in England and Wales how safe they felt walking alone after dark.

The findings were positive: three-quarters said they felt either very safe or fairly safe and just 8% said they felt very unsafe.

However, women were much more likely to report feeling unsafe than men, with two women in every five saying they felt somewhat unsafe. Almost one in eight women reported feeling very unsafe.

In the Big Five model of personality traits women are far more likely to place in the neuroticism trait than men. They more likely to be fearful and are "more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening". While you will certainly have a cohort of men within that trait model and women without it, stats like the above demonstrate it's more likely to be found in women. The problem is the media, general and online and the "feminist" movement revs this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Saturation coverage on sky news today, WTF is going on? Misogyny should be made a hate crime. Women can't go to the shop to buy a pint of milk without worrying about being followed or attacked. Men don't have to worry about this.

The progamme I referred to earlier has been repeated - I left the house to go shopping (I managed to do so without raping anyone while out :rolleyes:) and there it was again.

After the year that we've had, this stuff seems more exaggerated and absurd than ever. Has Covid resulted in people becoming addicted to fear? Or is it just the media doing its thing now that it looks like Covid fear may be coming to an end. Hopefully no more programmes about people in ICUs in Bergamo on ventilators TO STOP THEM FROM DYING so something else needed in its place?

Saturation coverage on sky news today, WTF is going on? Misogyny should be made a hate crime. Women can't go to the shop to buy a pint of milk without worrying about being followed or attacked. Men don't have to worry about this.

The progamme I referred to earlier has been repeated - I left the house to go shopping (I managed to do so without raping anyone while out :rolleyes:) and there it was again.

After the year that we've had, this stuff seems more exaggerated and absurd than ever. Has Covid resulted in people becoming addicted to fear? Or is it just the media doing its thing now that it looks like Covid fear may be coming to an end. Hopefully no more programmes about people in ICUs in Bergamo on ventilators TO STOP THEM FROM DYING so something else needed in its place?
    Normally don't pay too much attention to this crap in twitter but the last days, it's alarming. The amount of it and the intensity. No other word for it, misandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I feel you you and men today with what's going on in the news etc. I actually saw one woman post an angry tweet telling women not to tweet their own experiences of never being harassed etc. I've never had issues when out, never worried because I know some places are no go adn you don't walk down dark alleys on my own. When out I'd be more worried about getting robbed than anything else.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Normally don't pay too much attention to this crap in twitter but the last days, it's alarming. The amount of it and the intensity. No other word for it, misandry.

Twitter is a bit crazy these days. I started following more women in golf over the last few months. Woman professionals, club testers journalists etc. Trying to support women in the game. But I've unfollowed a few over the last couple of weeks due to the relentless feminist whinging. Its tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

That's all you needed to say Py and I would have been able to fill in the rest of the blanks. D'Arcy went full on right on male "feminist" years ago and regularly brings his wife into such things.

The actual Facts are that men are significantly more likely to be physically assaulted by a random stranger of an night out or walking through the "wrong area". Link one from Australia.

Data released by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare revealed more than one in three assaults on males which resulted in hospitalisation in 2014-15, where the attacker was specified, were perpetrated by someone they did not know.

That compared to about one in 14 for females, AIHW Professor James Harrison said.

That's a huge disparity and yet do we hear about that to nearly the same degree? We do not.

It's massively based on perception EG another link from that bastion of men's rights The Guardian.

Older women are most likely to feel unsafe walking alone after dark but among the least likely to be attacked, according to a Guardian analysis of crime survey data.

Meanwhile, young men tend to express few fears about their safety, but experience more personal crime than any other group. The analysis comes as crime statistics show a 27% increase in reported offences involving violence against the person.

The survey asked almost 8,000 people aged 16 and over living in England and Wales how safe they felt walking alone after dark.

The findings were positive: three-quarters said they felt either very safe or fairly safe and just 8% said they felt very unsafe.

However, women were much more likely to report feeling unsafe than men, with two women in every five saying they felt somewhat unsafe. Almost one in eight women reported feeling very unsafe.

In the Big Five model of personality traits women are far more likely to place in the neuroticism trait than men. They more likely to be fearful and are "more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening". While you will certainly have a cohort of men within that trait model and women without it, stats like the above demonstrate it's more likely to be found in women. The problem is the media, general and online and the "feminist" movement revs this up.

Very well said Wibbs, I have brought this up in conversation before about men more likely to be attacked and physically assaulted while out late at night etc. Some dismissed it as utter nonsense and others disregarded it as its not women perpetrating such violence. "yea but thats men..."

It was almost like it was more acceptable and a issue that didn't need looking into because the the perpetrator and victim was male.

Advertisement