Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reserved time slots for a season

• 09-03-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Wondering if any club has ever implemented this. So, sell slots to members for a year. Member would buy a fixed time which would be pre booked in their name and could be released if not required on a given day. Could be a way of generating additional revenue.
    I know Captain usually gets a line reserved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus I hate the idea so, so so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

That would be horrifically unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Wondering if any club has ever implemented this. So, sell slots to members for a year. Member would buy a fixed time which would be pre booked in their name and could be released if not required on a given day. Could be a way of generating additional revenue.
    I know Captain usually gets a line reserved.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

tenor.gif?itemid=20680511

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

This might be the most offensive thread ever on boards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dazza1892

Why?

in our club at the moment 8 members of the captains committee can book themselves and 3 of their friends/buddies on to the timesheet also 4 from the board of management can book themselves as above.. so if all if the above decide to play on a Saturday 48 slots could be gone/booked up before the timesheet even opens up..to say its unfair is an understatement numerous complaints have gone in about it only to be told thats the way it is and thats it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Lots of clubs would have times available for Captain and committees.

In my club the captain can take a slot of 4 and each commitee member can book themselves. If everybody used the privilege it works out as 12 individual slots.

Personally I think it’s a fair reward for what can be a lot of volunteer work.

In my club the captain can take a slot of 4 and each commitee member can book themselves. If everybody used the privilege it works out as 12 individual slots.

100% fair for captain etc to have that privilege. The effort involved from these people at a club is substantial.

The thoughts of paying subs the same as 99% of the club only to then be priced out of tee times every week because certain people may be in a position to pay extra for the privilege of getting whatever time they like.
    Can you imagine the toxic atmosphere around the place. It certainly wouldn’t be the club for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dazza1892

I would have absolutely no arguement with the above you should be rewarded for your work throughout the year thats only fair..but to be able to book in 3 others with you is not fair besides captain I suppose..its just soul destroying when u go to book a tee time on a Saturday morning when timesheet opens up and there is no availability between 8 and 10 or even 11 as there all booked up by committee and friends we all pay the same membership whether ur a friend of committee or not after we all...🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I don't see why it's such a terrible idea though. Sure most weekends there's a click sprint for the premium slots anyway. Members always complaining about not being able to get on the sheet. With this you've got the opportunity to reserve a slot. Same as you do for a train or a plane (I am not Mr O'Leary).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

The idea of a club is everyone been equal.

I don’t think it’s right committees get lines, that’s just to much of the timesheet especially when evenings are short. That’s really weak leadership by the club.

In charging people different rates for better access to the timesheet, ie 50 % more to book 7 to11 on Saturday and Sunday. It’s fair enough if the members paying less stay around but it would create a tier type membership and hence clicks and toxic environment.

Someone suggesting it can only think it’s a good idea because they are happy to pay it and wants better access.

But this is why we have elite clubs that have big entrance fees, big yearly membership fees and low membership numbers and members rock up and play whenever they want too. Unfortunately a lot of these clubs change there model because of lack of demand. But they will reappear and I can see demand coming back for it.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    The idea of a club is everyone been equal.

I don’t think it’s a case of not been equal, it’s a thank you from the membership for the hours put in in running the club which are substantial enough, especially in a club like ours where the committee is small.

In our club it’s only the captain that gets a line the other 7 can book one slot.

I think we restrict it during the short winter days

I know clubs that have slots prebooked for the whole year for committees.

I certainly don’t like the idea of being able to pay extra for early access.

The one that gets me is the amount of members that have not paid their fee being allowed to book. I’ve seen it in so many clubs. If the payment deadline passes without payment or agreeing a plan your booking rights should be automatically turned off

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No issue at all with Captains or Committee members getting lines. They do a huge amount for the club, at no real benefit. My dad has been captain and treasurer of his club multiple times, and the amount of work he has put in should get him some benefits.

It's not why he, or any other people, do it. But is it that bad to get a very small reward for volunteering a lot of time to the club?

ForeRight wrote: »
    That would be horrifically unfair.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus I hate the idea so, so so much

But why?
    So let's leave the committee rewards aside - they get reserved parking slots as well as reserved lines in most clubs. They probably earn it many times over. That's not my main point.

And let's say it's not an auction or an enormous amount of money. My point is not that the richest people get the reserved slots.

Why is it such a bad idea to be able to reserve a slot so so you know each week what time you are playing at? It may not even be always premium slots - I might want to play at 11:30 each Sunday, well after the peak.

Why is it better to have all members enter into a race each week to see who can refresh their browser at a precise instant and hope their hand doesn't slip while they race for the same slot they would want each week anyway? This system in itself is biased against those who don't have access to the booking system when the sheet opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I actually can't put into word why.

But you want to trust that if someone has a tee-time booked for a year in advance that every time they don't want to play they'll take steps to cancel it? People can just pool in together to block-book for the whole year and that's it? Completely unfair to the punter who might want a throwaway game and the slots are already gone 5 days in advance even if the person who block booked doesn't want it.

It's almost like a season ticket for a team - If you block book you'd start just letting other people (friends) use it instead of cancelling it. Again, competely unfair to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I don’t think it’s a case of not been equal, it’s a thank you from the membership for the hours put in in running the club which are substantial enough, especially in a club like ours where the committee is small.

In our club it’s only the captain that gets a line the other 7 can book one slot.

I think we restrict it during the short winter days

I know clubs that have slots prebooked for the whole year for committees.

I certainly don’t like the idea of being able to pay extra for early access.

The one that gets me is the amount of members that have not paid their fee being allowed to book. I’ve seen it in so many clubs. If the payment deadline passes without payment or agreeing a plan your booking rights should be automatically turned off

Give them a reduction in fees then or some other incentive. I actually think that certain commitee positions should entitle you to a years subs (with restrictions on how ofter you can get).

Captains get plenty of other perks and none of my clubs hold back tee times for the captain let alone the committee members. Most of committees are tied up by the same people in clubs, would explain why now.

Actually find this sort of this disgusting to be honest. Don't volunteer if you expect something out of it and a bit like politicians voting on their own pay rises ;)

Actually find this sort of this disgusting to be honest. Don't volunteer if you expect something out of it and a bit like politicians voting on their own pay rises ;)

Where did I say that anybody volunteered in order to get something out of it ? Id seriuosly doubt that there is any Captain or committee member in the country that said to themselves " i must go on the committee to give up my free time in order to get early access to a tee sheet.

I can only speak for my club, but for the most part of the year there are plenty of spaces and during the short months we dont allow the privalage.

I think "disgusting" is a little over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Worst idea ever. What you don't think the yearly subs are enough already, then you want to create tensions and increase costs by suggesting something so vile :).
    It would totally kill the club interaction, it would ensure you play with the same people all year round. I for one like to vary my times so that I can play with different members on a regular basis. Yeah sure most people have preferred playing partners, nothing wrong with that, but get out there and play with as many different club members as you can and build the club spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Captains in our club get a line each. The management committee get free subs and a car space.

I think that's more than fair. Timesheet is tight enough.

As for selling lines? Not a hope that would fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Would be totally against the idea of being able to buy slots on the timesheet. Suddenly you have a two tier system in operation. Those
    who can afford it and those who can't.
    In our club both captains can reserve a line and the sponsor on the day can also book a line.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I actually can't put into word why.

But you want to trust that if someone has a tee-time booked for a year in advance that every time they don't want to play they'll take steps to cancel it? People can just pool in together to block-book for the whole year and that's it? Completely unfair to the punter who might want a throwaway game and the slots are already gone 5 days in advance even if the person who block booked doesn't want it.

It's almost like a season ticket for a team - If you block book you'd start just letting other people (friends) use it instead of cancelling it. Again, competely unfair to others.
    But sure you've already got this issue where people book slots and don't show for them? You could fix this by having a system where the reserved slot has to be confirmed 24 hours prior to the game or it gets freed up.

The system is already tough on the punter who might want a throwaway game. It's also tough on the regular punter who wants to play every Saturday or Sunday at a given time but has to enter a weekly scramble to get any slot.

I think the core problem is with golf clubs being oversubscribed with members. Most could only cater for around 60% of their members wanting to play at the weekends. It's a bit like the practice of over-booking flights presuming that certain numbers of passengers won't show. The practice with most airlines now is that you can pre-book your seat at an extra cost. Why shouldn't golf clubs facilitate the same?

Would be totally against the idea of being able to buy slots on the timesheet. Suddenly you have a two tier system in operation. Those
    who can afford it and those who can't.
    In our club both captains can reserve a line and the sponsor on the day can also book a line.

Many clubs have a multi-tier membership - like bronze, silver, gold, under-30, over-60, 5-day, pavilion? There are clubs with members who joined for free, others who paid big hello-money.
    There are clubs that provide lockers at extra cost. People who can afford buggies, caddies, lessons, new clubs, fittings etc.
    There are already very many tiers of golfers in the world I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Many clubs have a multi-tier membership - like bronze, silver, gold, under-30, over-60, 5-day, pavilion? There are clubs with members who joined for free, others who paid big hello-money.
    There are clubs that provide lockers at extra cost. People who can afford buggies, caddies, lessons, new clubs, fittings etc.
    There are already very many tiers of golfers in the world I'm afraid.

dont think I would join a club if I was told all the Saturday and sunday morning times were booked for the next 12 months.

golfguy1 wrote: »
    dont think I would join a club if I was told all the Saturday and sunday morning times were booked for the next 12 months.

What if they asked you if you'd like to be able to hold the same slot every weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Different categories of membership is not relevant to pre booked timesheets. The question most asked by posters on here who are
    enquiring about joining a club is how easy is it to get on a weekend timesheet. If they are told that slots have been bought and are pre
    booked , I think they might think twice about joining.
    I don't care who owns a buggy, a locker or what category member they are. All members should have the same chance of getting on the
    timesheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

What if they asked you if you'd like to be able to hold the same slot every weekend?

You haven't got one person who thinks it's a good idea, why keep pushing?
    Flogging a dead horse:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

but as a new member I would be last to the party for buying times. surely all the popular times would be gone.
    and what would happen the following yr for the 9am sunday slot.would it be up for auction or kept by the previous owner

zep wrote: »
    You haven't got one person who thinks it's a good idea, why keep pushing?
    Flogging a dead horse:rolleyes:.

Yep. I never even said it was a good idea myself. I just wanted to explore it with the board. I think for a long time golfers have put up with the same race to get out when they want at weekends. Apart from changing from turning up at the club to claim your slot to going online to scramble for it, nothing much has been done to address this. Golfers complain of packed timesheets and the difficulty of getting a game but year after year nothing changes.
    It's a time of disruption for many established practices. Golf should take this opportunity to look at it's practices also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Could do a lotto system for the most wanted times.

Can only enter for either Saturday or Sunday, not both days. Time sheets go live after the draw on a Monday. You pay a small fee for pulling out after Wednesday and lose the right to enter for the next week.

All entrants must be fully paid or entered into a payment plan.

The problem I seen last year was for how long the comps ran. On a Saturday there was only two hours of competition which left a huge rush for those times, with some members booking the days a couple of weeks in advance. This was later changed to run the competitions for the whole day alongside casual rounds which made much more sense.

• Advertisement

Yep. I never even said it was a good idea myself. I just wanted to explore it with the board. I think for a long time golfers have put up with the same race to get out when they want at weekends. Apart from changing from turning up at the club to claim your slot to going online to scramble for it, nothing much has been done to address this. Golfers complain of packed timesheets and the difficulty of getting a game but year after year nothing changes.
    It's a time of disruption for many established practices. Golf should take this opportunity to look at it's practices also.

Got to admire your passion here you ain’t giving up on this one :)

Advertisement