Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards AC Playlist

• 10-03-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I reckon now is as good a time as ever for a slightly more light-hearted thread on the A&R forum :D

I'm always interested in what other runners listen to when they are out on runs. I was a late enough convert to listening to music/podcasts on my runs but now, particularly in the current climate where the number of opportunities to run with others have dwindled, I'd rarely run without it.

So...what are Boardsies listnening to as they crank out tough sessions, go long at the weekend or on their morning commutes?

To keep the thread on point, I propose a couple of things;

* This isn't a thread about the merits or otherwise of running with headphones. Maybe leave that debate for another thread.

* Most importantly.....This has to a safe space for people to go public with their musical tastes :D If you're not in the same place as the other poster on a particular artist or song....then be nice please, a person's taste in music is a very personal thing.

If the thread takes off and there's a bit of traffic then I'll throw a Spotify playlist together based on the recommendations.

So to get the ball rolling, here's a few songs from my current running playlist that are always welcomed when they arrive. Remember, be nice... :)

Stay Together - NERD

I'm Free - Kenny Loggins

Gosh - Jamie xx

Magic - BoB & Rivers Cuomo

Leave a Trace - Chvrches

Cuddly Toy - Roachford (ht to Alan Partidge for that one)

Dancing on my Own - Robyn

Play it Smooth - We Bare Bears (From the kids TV show which is a great source for tunes!)

ME! - Taylor Swift & Brandon Urie

4 Minute Mile - Bell X1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Never listened to a podcast in my life, I should probably start on one to see what they are like.

I carry an real old phone and just stick on the radio. I kind like the break up of music / commentary that you get.

Interested in that playlist if it comes together :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I've a real mix of stuff but here are a few playlists if you can access them.. not sure f link will work

Easy Running
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LgtFBIsv8tPslkCmAbbzL

Steady/Tempo Running
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1OD4tdFvjZTf8SibBHDXz6

Interval/Hard Running
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6VVZwQbkiMSFTD2I2XrFQS

One of my Go To playlist all run types
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Ga7dmKvLGk94GrLR7Xias

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Kander wrote: »
    Never listened to a podcast in my life, I should probably start on one to see what they are like.

I carry an real old phone and just stick on the radio. I kind like the break up of music / commentary that you get.

Interested in that playlist if it comes together :)

Highly recommend David Mcwilliams podcast, out every Tuesday and Friday, perfect for 5 miles easy.

I tend to only listen to podcasts but occasionally throw on the best of the killers, also went through a phase of The Greatest Showman :-)

And back in December, not sure why but during a 5k TT I listened to Bee Gees One night only, solid tempo songs. I normally wouldn't listen to anything during sessions or races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Two songs that lately I have been LOVING when they come on, put a real pep in my step:

Edge of Midnight - remix of Miley Cyrus Midnight Sky and Fleetwood Mac Edge of Seventeen
    Night by Night - Chromeo

There are many more I'm sure but these two came to mind immediately. I'll be back! I really like that Magic song you mentioned, and had forgotten it.. thanks for the reminder

I had a running high last summer listening to this. Had just completed an interval session in the sunshine. I was full of positivity and absolutely bouncing along the road.

This came on as I paused at traffic lights and I literally danced on the spot! When the bridge dropped a moment later I did a stride with absolute abandon. Its not even in my top 10 favourite tunes but it stirred me and the drop lifts me every time I hear it now :D

Don't Leave me Lonely: Mark Ronson featuring Yebba - Purple Disco Machine Remix

Another goodie to listen to as you warm up for your interval session
    Sam Tinnesz - Legends are made

or
    Dangerous: Royal Delux

If you want a good metronome with softer beats...
    Clint Eastwood: Gorillaz

or
    Waves: Robin Schulz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

A few girl power tunes that give me a lift :cool:

Titanium - Hot Fiction

Wrecking Ball - Bella Huxley

Fight Song - Rachel Platten

This Girl in on Fire - Jessica Mears

Empire State of Mind - Alicia Keys

Read All About It, Part lll - Emeli Sande

ariana` wrote: »

Titanium - Hot Fiction

Love love love Alicia Keys.. Ticket to her 2020 concert still on my wall, unused :(

Some girl power indeed... I look out for these :)
    Evanescence - Going Under
    Billie Eilish - Everything I wanted
    Wyvern Lingo - I love you Sadie
    Dua Lipa - One Kiss
    Rita Ora - Anywhere
    Sonique - It feels so good
    Robyn - With every heartbeat
    Beyonce - Runnin'
    Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm
    Rihanna - Man Down
    Lady Gaga - -Bad Romance
    Baby D - Let me be your Fantasy
    Celine Dion - I drove all night

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

My playlist has grown into a beast of its own. I initially put it together as a 10k play list but I ended up throwing more and more into it and its now made up of 50+ songs :o It is every single song that makes me happy...which a lot of times means the cheesiest, naffest music in the world :D. It has everything from Hue and Cry, Mike and the Mechanics, Metallica, Guns n Roses, Elvis! The idea being that when I'm out on a run I just get totally lost in it and half the time I go out just to hear the tunes :D

Obviously I can't list the 50 songs... Well I could but it would be of little interest to anyone but me :pac: There are little gems in it that just take it to another level where there could be an alien attack and I'm just away with it. They are, in order of favourite:-

1. Jennifer Lopez - Lets get Loud, it has been on my list for YEARS!! I will never tire of it :pac:

2. A Little Bit Alexis - by Alexis Rose represented by Alexis Rose Talent being the title track 'off of her critically reviewed limited reality series A Little Bit Alexis' :D

3. Metallica - Enter Sandman

4. John Parr - St Elmos Fire :o

5. Arman van Helden - You don't even know me

6. NERD - She wants to move

7. Culture Club - God Thank You Woman :o

8. McAlmond and Butler - Yes

My playlist has grown into a beast of its own. I initially put it together as a 10k play list but I ended up throwing more and more into it and its now made up of 50+ songs :o It is every single song that makes me happy...which a lot of times means the cheesiest, naffest music in the world :D. It has everything from Hue and Cry, Mike and the Mechanics, Metallica, Guns n Roses, Elvis! The idea being that when I'm out on a run I just get totally lost in it and half the time I go out just to hear the tunes :D

Obviously I can't list the 50 songs... Well I could but it would be of little interest to anyone but me :pac: There are little gems in it that just take it to another level where there could be an alien attack and I'm just away with it. They are, in order of favourite:-

1. Jennifer Lopez - Lets get Loud, it has been on my list for YEARS!! I will never tire of it :pac:

2. A Little Bit Alexis - by Alexis Rose represented by Alexis Rose Talent being the title track 'off of her critically reviewed limited reality series A Little Bit Alexis' :D

3. Metallica - Enter Sandman

4. John Parr - St Elmos Fire :o

5. Arman van Helden - You don't even know me

6. NERD - She wants to move

7. Culture Club - God Thank You Woman :o

8. McAlmond and Butler - Yes

50 songs is not a lot if listening to them over and over. I reckon I have about 18 hours of music between 4 running playlists and I've listened to it all numerous times.

50 songs is not a lot if listening to them over and over. I reckon I have about 18 hours of music between 4 running playlists and I've listened to it all numerous times.

I'd say it'll be much extended by the time this thread is over :D. Already adding Baby D and Titanium :D

• Advertisement

1. Jennifer Lopez - Lets get Loud, it has been on my list for YEARS!! I will never tire of it

Oh man I heart this song a lot

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Oh man I heart this song a lot

It is almost too much! :D. If you don't do a little salsa dance are you even hearing it?? :pac:

It is almost too much! . If you don't do a little salsa dance are you even hearing it??

See also Marc Anthony's Vivir Mi Vida

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I don't listen to music when running but I listen to some when doing workouts or the turbo trainer. I listen to a lot of songs by the same artists but some of the highlight songs in my current playlist are:
    • Glass Animals - Heat Waves
    • Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know
    • Woodkid - Run Boy Run
    • Rainbow Kitten Suprise - Cocaine Jesus
    • Of Monsters and Men - Visitor
    • Elderbrook & Rudimental - Something About You
    • Lera Lynn - Wolf Like Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Three of my favourites from different genres.

1. Closing Time - Semisonic
    2. Thunder - Imagine Dragons
    3. Ode to Joy - Rieu

On a side point does anyone notice that their heart rate is higher when listening to music?

I've noticed that mine gets 5 - 10 beats a minute higher for same effort depending on the song.

On a side point does anyone notice that their heart rate is higher when listening to music?

I read somewhere before that your heartbeat can sync to the music you're listening to... Now I read that on the Internet somewhere so I would take it with a pinch of salt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

My HR definitely goes up if I'm listening to faster tunes, I try to keep those for tempo/faster runs and listen to some podcasts on an easy run.

This is a really great podcast although it's a specific audience and I'm not sure how many are here :p

Derval.ie playlist is one of my go to, it has a great mix of songs

Songs to Listen to in the Shower is another Spotify playlist I go back to again and again.

My running playlist which has a good few female power ballads (with good reason!). It'll be greatly expanded now after I go back through all the posts above and pick out a few more epic tunes!

Super thread Healy1835!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What a deadly idea for a thread..........

My running playlist which has a good few female power ballads (with good reason!).

I love this one!!!! Definitely stealing some. Can't believe I don't have Kelly Clarkson at all... I do have Shake it Off though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://youtu.be/k-vLGsvYx2U

The time I did listen to music while running this was on constant shuffle.

Titanium - Hot Fiction

Brilliant, think I have a few of these in my list but must add the rest in. I remember posting a link to Fight Song on my thread once as it gave me a huge lift in a long run - I was berated so glad to see there's another fan here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

In the past year or so I’ve started listening more to podcasts, especially on my long run. I prefer more general chatty light hearted ones like Bandwagons and The State of Us. I think it’s because I’m missing having company and chats on my long runs.
    Sometimes I’ll listen to a running / wellbeing podcast such as the parkrun ones, Karl Henry, Shane Finn or Brian Keane.

I might stick on some music for a shorter or quicker run. Anything with 90s/00s dance.
    A good song I’ve found to push me through the last km is Benny Benassi - Satisfaction.

@shotgunmcos that list 1 is right up my street!

It is almost too much! :D. If you don't do a little salsa dance are you even hearing it?? :pac:

Try Despacito - Luis Fonsi.

My kids introduced me to this, we all sing along (badly) when it comes on in the car :pac:

I've noticed that mine gets 5 - 10 beats a minute higher for same effort depending on the song.

There are playlists on Spotify based on bpms. Look under the category workout.

Try Despacito - Luis Fonsi.

My kids introduced me to this, we all sing along (badly) when it comes on in the car :pac:

Ah I know that one alright :D Only to sing phonetically mind you :pac:

Excellent choices!! Love Thrift Shop :D

• Advertisement

Ah I know that one alright :D Only to sing phonetically mind you :pac:

Well you can imagine what it sounds like with 3 kids, the youngest of whom could barely pronounce many common English words, and a tone deaf mum singing along in a confined space :pac:

Well you can imagine what it sounds like with 3 kids, the youngest of whom could barely pronounce many common English words, and a tone deaf mum singing along in a confined space :pac:

Haahaa thats the best way to sing any song :D

My eldest leaves the room when I sing and the dog scratches at the back door :o :pac:

I love this one!!!! Definitely stealing some. Can't believe I don't have Kelly Clarkson at all... I do have Shake it Off though :D

Another great Kelly one for running is Whole Lotta Woman :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

- My playlist includes the following :

The Clash - I fought the law , Train in Vain, London Calling

REM - Pop Song 89 , Ages of you , Carnival of Sorts
    Drive , Get Up

Kings of Leon - Beach Side , California Waiting , Closer , Crawl

The Frames - Downhill from here , Fitzcarraldo , Monument

The Stunning - An Empty Feeling

Mic Christopher - Heyday

My HR definitely goes up if I'm listening to faster tunes, I try to keep those for tempo/faster runs and listen to some podcasts on an easy run.

This is a really great podcast although it's a specific audience and I'm not sure how many are here :p

Derval.ie playlist is one of my go to, it has a great mix of songs

Songs to Listen to in the Shower is another Spotify playlist I go back to again and again.

My running playlist which has a good few female power ballads (with good reason!). It'll be greatly expanded now after I go back through all the posts above and pick out a few more epic tunes!

Super thread Healy1835!

Thanks found Leona Lewis - Run, on your playlist and added to my easy running one. Really uplifting, love how it builds :)

lulublue22 wrote: »
    - My playlist includes the following :

The Clash - I fought the law , Train in Vain, London Calling

REM - Pop Song 89 , Ages of you , Carnival of Sorts
    Drive , Get Up

Kings of Leon - Beach Side , California Waiting , Closer , Crawl

The Frames - Downhill from here , Fitzcarraldo , Monument

The Stunning - An Empty Feeling

Mic Christopher - Heyday

All classics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

I've only run with earphones in on 2 occasions and both of those were within the last month for my long run. I have to say I enjoyed it.

First outing I listened to Is it New Wave? a Spotify playlist
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX3Gj7nguS95W?si=Cg_TKD_BTqSML6CTXa9p3g&utm_source=copy-link
    and second outing to a podcast. I'd have to side with the tunes off my very limited experience, although in hindsight my choice of podcast wasn't stellar - listening to gorey details from a true crime podcast and running in the dark is not a great combination.

I'll be getting my own playlist started.
    Great thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Never really got into listening to music while running but interesting thread nonetheless. I always found my tempo changed with every song. Maybe the way to do it is have easy, tempo and fast playlists.

Can't believe there's no "Running up that hill", "Eye of the Tiger" or "Rocky Theme Song" yet!

Listening to a Spotify playlist called "Raised on Rock" at the moment and there's a good mix in there.

I've only run with earphones in on 2 occasions and both of those were within the last month for my long run. I have to say I enjoyed it.

First outing I listened to Is it New Wave? a Spotify playlist
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX3Gj7nguS95W?si=Cg_TKD_BTqSML6CTXa9p3g&utm_source=copy-link
    and second outing to a podcast. I'd have to side with the tunes off my very limited experience, although in hindsight my choice of podcast wasn't stellar - listening to gorey details from a true crime podcast and running in the dark is not a great combination.

I'll be getting my own playlist started.
    Great thread!

I love listening to true crime, case files is my go to podcast.

Even though I love them I find the more complex ones that invole a lot of people, plots and dates very hard to follow when running.

Also there are certain podcasts that don't transfer onto a Garmin from Spotify, I haven't found any rhyme or reason for it.

I love listening to true crime, case files is my go to podcast.

Even though I love them I find the more complex ones that invole a lot of people, plots and dates very hard to follow when running.

Also there are certain podcasts that don't transfer onto a Garmin from Spotify, I haven't found any rhyme or reason for it.

It was Casefile I was listening to, it's great. I have listened to a few other true crime podcasts but they're not a patch on Casefile.
    Just not while running perhaps :-)

It was Casefile I was listening to, it's great. I have listened to a few other true crime podcasts but they're not a patch on Casefile.

Have you listened to S Town?

• Advertisement

Have you listened to S Town?

I have. Intriguing.
    I also found the first series of Serial very good.

I have. Intriguing.
    I also found the first series of Serial very good.

Yeah, I listened to the first series of Serial and didn't make it through the first episode of the second season.

The Nobody Zone is OK, it's based on an Irish serial killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great thread!
    I have been told on numerous times that my mix of music taste leaves a lot to be desired so here goes! My Run Forrest Run playlist(one of many playlists) is

Belter - Gerry Cinnamon
    Don't stop me now - Queen
    Stronger- Kelly Clarkson
    Dance Monkey- Tones & I
    All about that bass - Meghan Trainor
    Titanium - David Guetta & Sia
    Hall of Fame - The Script & Will.i.am
    Lose Yourself - Eminem
    Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
    The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga
    Forever - Chris Brown
    Runnin - Naughty Boy
    November Rain - Guns N Roses
    Dignity - Deacon Blue
    Together in Electric dreams - The Human League
    Diamonds in the Mud - Gerry Cinnamon
    Chandelier- Sia
    Canter - Gerry Cinnamon
    Take on me - Aha
    The River - Bruce Springsteen
    Real Gone kid - Deacon Blue
    Sun Queen - Gerry Cinnamon
    Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
    Go your own way - Fleetwood Mac
    Under pressure- Queen & David Bowie
    In the Air tonight - Phil Collins (most times I do air drums to that iconic drum bit)
    Eye of the Tiger - Survivor ( yep I also do little boxing jabs to the start of this depending on whos around :) )

Anything by Underworld for faster running, it's driving and anthemic.

If going for a long trail run, probably a true crime podcast, since lockdown have gone through Mens Rea, My Favorite Murder, S Town, Bear Brook, Shreds and a few others...

Yeah, I listened to the first series of Serial and didn't make it through the first episode of the second season.

The Nobody Zone is OK, it's based on an Irish serial killer.

Yeah, second series of Serial was muck.
    Nice one, I'll check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

All classics!

Showing my age I think - can’t even link to spotify :)

Some great tunes listed - may need to add a playlist or two !

Great thread!
    I have been told on numerous times that my mix of music taste leaves a lot to be desired so here goes! My Run Forrest Run playlist(one of many playlists) is

Belter - Gerry Cinnamon
    Don't stop me now - Queen
    Stronger- Kelly Clarkson
    Dance Monkey- Tones & I
    All about that bass - Meghan Trainor
    Titanium - David Guetta & Sia
    Hall of Fame - The Script & Will.i.am
    Lose Yourself - Eminem
    Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
    The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga
    Forever - Chris Brown
    Runnin - Naughty Boy
    November Rain - Guns N Roses
    Dignity - Deacon Blue
    Together in Electric dreams - The Human League
    Diamonds in the Mud - Gerry Cinnamon
    Chandelier- Sia
    Canter - Gerry Cinnamon
    Take on me - Aha
    Real Gone kid - Deacon Blue
    Sun Queen - Gerry Cinnamon
    Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
    Go your own way - Fleetwood Mac
    Under pressure- Queen & David Bowie
    In the Air tonight - Phil Collins (most times I do air drums to that iconic drum bit)
    Eye of the Tiger - Survivor ( yep I also do little boxing jabs to the start of this depending on whos around :) )

This is fab, have stolen a few and added to my list, must listen to a few others I don't recognise

Together in Electric dreams was one of the first singles I ever bought! Happy memories :) but isn't it Phil Oakey?

Healy how are you going to choose which songs go into the Boards playlist!!!!! So many great tunes to pick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

This is fab, have stolen a few and added to my list, must listen to a few others I don't recognise

Together in Electric dreams was one of the first singles I ever bought! Happy memories :) but isn't it Phil Oakey?

Yeah originally but I love the version The Human League did :)

I have Deacon Blue Dignity too!! I love that song!

• Advertisement
Advertisement