Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker Indian Dishes

Options
  • 09-03-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

I normally use pataks cooking pastes for such Indian Dishes..

But I have discovered I have an issue with rapeseed oil, which those pastes use...

I have looked to replace the paste with green saffron spice blends...

But I have uses the madras one and it certainly has a different blend of spices and taste...

Is there any copy cat spice blends that are comparable to the pataks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Copy cat recipe here, though you'll need a substitute for the rape seed oil
    https://thecurrykid.co.uk/recipe/homemade-pataks-kashmiri-masala-spice-paste/

Cross reference that list of ingredients to whats on the back of the Pataks jar. Largest proportions of spices should be listed first down to smallest last on the jars label

It would probably be difficult to get it to taste identical as food manufacturers uses enhancers and preservatives. Theres probably way more salt or MSG in there than you would add if making it yourself. But if the spices are the right ones and in the correct proportions it shouldnt be too far away.

Not sure what you would substitute for rape seed oil, is it just that you cant consume or all oils? Ghee is a commonly used fat in traditional Indian cooking, its also known as clarified butter. You can make it easy enough from normal butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Copy cat recipe here, though you'll need a substitute for the rape seed oil
    https://thecurrykid.co.uk/recipe/homemade-pataks-kashmiri-masala-spice-paste/

Cross reference that list of ingredients to whats on the back of the Pataks jar. Largest proportions of spices should be listed first down to smallest last on the jars label

It would probably be difficult to get it to taste identical as food manufacturers uses enhancers and preservatives. Theres probably way more salt or MSG in there than you would add if making it yourself. But if the spices are the right ones and in the correct proportions it shouldnt be too far away.

Not sure what you would substitute for rape seed oil, is it just that you cant consume or all oils? Ghee is a commonly used fat in traditional Indian cooking, its also known as clarified butter. You can make it easy enough from normal butter.

Cheers...its pretty much seed oils...rapeseed, peanut seem to be the worst...Olive oil is ok raw, but if heated it's the same response...just unsettled my stomach...

I cook everything in beef dripping or butter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I cook everything in beef dripping or butter

Chicken fat is a nice fat to cook with, too - lighter than beef.
    If making chicken stock, I reserve the fat.
    Or if cooking thighs, I'll render the fat I trim off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+1, the pataks and G saffron madras spices are quite different.

pataks
    Water, Ground Spices (24%) [Coriander (7%), Paprika (4%), Cardamom, Cumin, Spices, Fenugreek, Black Pepper, Ginger], Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Maize Flour, Acids (Acetic Acid, Citric Acid), Tamarind, MUSTARD Powder, Dried Crushed Red Chilli, Garlic Powder, Black MUSTARD Seed.

G.S.
    Ingredients
    Coriander, Salt, Cumin, Black Pepper, Cassia, Fennel, Clove (4.0%), Turmeric, Paprika, Green Cardamom, Chilli, Black Cardamom (1.5%), Star Anise (1.4%), Mace, Rose Petal, Nutmeg

BIR stands for British Indian Restaurant, there are loads of groups and youtube videos about replicating what they do, and there are probably people discussing Pataks ones if you really want to replicate it. The "curry kid" link was about 1 particular patak paste. If you go into the Asian shops, esp. the more Indian orientated ones you can see loads of pataks sauces which are not in regular supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You're a great man for the ingredients rubadub, fair play.

Never thought Id see rose petal listed in Indian ingredients, had always associated it with Middle Eastern cooking but Indians must use it too. Had to google what Cassia is as Id never heard of it, it is the bark of an Chinese evergreen tree and seems to be similar to cinnamon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You're a great man for the ingredients rubadub, fair play.

Never thought Id see rose petal listed in Indian ingredients, had always associated it with Middle Eastern cooking but Indians must use it too. Had to google what Cassia is as Id never heard of it, it is the bark of an Chinese evergreen tree and seems to be similar to cinnamon

I find cassia and cinnamon almost identical when ever i have used it...It's much cheaper too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bulk of "cinnamon" sold here is cassia. Nobody notices normally!

Advertisement