Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@fulladapipes Is that a Sherlock Holmes Penguin Edition mug?

I had one of those as my coffee mug for years in work.

Can't even remember where I got it, but it contained the fuel for at least half of my career!

Nice watch too.

What's the brew? Nice crema.

I like something robust, like LaVazza Red for work. And something a little more subtle for later, a Kenyan or maybe a single origin Puerto Rican.

[/thread drift]

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @fulladapipes Is that a Sherlock Holmes Penguin Edition mug?

I had one of those as my coffee mug for years in work.

Can't even remember where I got it, but it contained the fuel for at least half of my career!

Nice watch too.

What's the brew? Nice crema.

I like something robust, like LaVazza Red for work. And something a little more subtle for later, a Kenyan or maybe a single origin Puerto Rican.

[/thread drift]

;)

It is indeed a Sherlock Holmes mug. The coffee is from Velo roasters in Cork - I was going through a support Irish business phase (still in it, before you ask), so bought a grinder and coffee from them. A few years ago I had my appendix out in Trieste in Italy. My room was on the 13th floor and overlooked the Illy coffee plant - great smells when the window was open in the room.

To keep Wibbs from getting jittery about thread drift, here's a picture of that very mug. And watch.

zF4iyR7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@fulladapipes: Well, if you are going to have a spell of hospital food, Italy wouldn't be the worst place, nor across from the Illy factory either!

I'm sure a classic Datejust would be comfort under such circumstances. :)

I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan all my life, and even went so far as to a write a story where he got to grips with another distraction of mine, the Whitechapel Murders (or JTR).

I'm not a Rolex fan, as I might have mentioned here once or twice, but that steel look, with an obvious patina of wear, makes it just right.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @fulladapipes: Well, if you are going to have a spell of hospital food, Italy wouldn't be the worst place, nor across from the Illy factory either!

I'm sure a classic Datejust would be comfort under such circumstances. :)

I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan all my life, and even went so far as to a write a story where he got to grips with another distraction of mine, the Whitechapel Murders (or JTR).

I'm not a Rolex fan, as I might have mentioned here once or twice, but that steel look, with an obvious patina of wear, makes it just right.

Trieste is the most undiscovered place in Italy (thankfully) - still half Austro-Hungarian and one of their wealthiest cities, if not the wealthiest - and only a couple of hours from other great cities like Ljubljiana and Zagreb etc.

I was looking for photo of that time in Trieste and found this one, showing me wearing my Speedy on the afternoon they turfed me out of hospital.

Also, in relation to my preference for bunds, here is a Submariner I owned on a bund. It was one of those thick, stiff bunds I don't recommend though. I'm getting a slight goo on me for a Sub again. Must resist (no money helps on the resistance front).

Getting no work done today so far.

7G7GHDU.png

GyPgBmM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I suspect that was many a guy's first good watch - decent brand at a decent price, and a decent watch... I find it hard to see this watch on anything but that bracelet.

Apart from the fact that it uses pins rather than screws and has no micro-adjustment, it's a great feeling bracelet. The whole thing in general feels a bit more meaty than a similar vintage Sub.

Think I paid around 800 GBP for it, back in the good old days when watches were less of an arm and a leg purchase. Wish I'd stocked up on a few other watches back then!

It even has a lovely bottom (mine is an early one that doesn't have the additional engraving).

76-CE2-E7-E-59-AC-4-F7-B-B5-B2-429209-E6-A5-A4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved the non piccy posts to the chat thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Today I am wearing the second mechanical watch I ever bought.

eBcGb69l.jpg

Seiko SNK805

The day that I got it for some reason I decided that it was a good idea to wear it rock climbing and scratched the harldlex. It broke my heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Nothing catches the light like a Royal Oak

PXL-20210310-125444352.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

King turtle, today and almost every working day since it arrived. My covid watch!

546522.jpg

Got a tiny bit of weld spatter next to the crown one day so now I wear a glove on my left hand. If you ever want to see lume popping get the welder out:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

I toy with selling this on a monthly basis. When I don’t wear it for a few weeks I forget how special it actually is. Difficult to photo but this one screams quality in the hand and I got it for a song really considering the current version is approaching (or over? 4500v model) 20k and discounts and supply limited.

Need to get some time to take some better pictures of this watch.

7-B7-E293-D-793-C-43-BC-B1-F2-9651-BDCE9456.jpg

VC is definitely the vfm corner of the holy trinity.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    I toy with selling this on a monthly basis. When I don’t wear it for a few weeks I forget how special it actually is. Difficult to photo but this one screams quality in the hand and I got it for a song really considering the current version is approaching (or over? 4500v model) 20k and discounts and supply limited.

Need to get some time to take some better pictures of this watch.

That is a beautiful watch, but those angles make it very hard to clean, I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never mind all your fancy swiss stuff, here's a real watch :pac:

gclG0NO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never mind all your fancy swiss stuff, here's a real watch :pac:

Sure what use is that???! It's missing half the numbers!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

fat bloke wrote: »

For me it's missing a number alright, a date! I hate watches with no date!

Some people hate them, I like it, can't go wrong for under €100 and you'll have no problem ever selling it for the same. It's a nice big size too. Pity the strap isn't 20mm instead of 18, but probably adds to the oddness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,738 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That is a beautiful watch, but those angles make it very hard to clean, I'd say?

Blue tac.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I toy with selling this on a monthly basis.

You should strongly consider selling it in about 5 months, so i can buy it :D

I rarely clean any watch if I am honest. Often (sometimes) only when selling.

This one is primed for a good clean though and then some macro shots

Time wrote: »
    You should strongly consider selling it in about 5 months, so i can buy it :D

Infairness we do seem to share similar size preferences. At 37mm this probably would be up you alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

fat bloke wrote: »

Never realized noon could be zero hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Very nearly bought a Cartier Solo Tank XL two days ago...in fact I put in my offer (£2,400) and went to bed. Woke up in the mornig and promptly withdrew it...:o

I have to settle for something less pricey than a JLC...the wife would kill me when we have an extension to finish off.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Jaeger+LeCoultre-Reverso-Tribute-Duoface-Q3988482/p/17631371/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Moscow time by Poljot.

546647.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Very nearly bought a Cartier Solo Tank XL two days ago...in fact I put in my offer (£2,400) and went to bed. Woke up in the mornig and promptly withdrew it...:o

I have to settle for something less pricey than a JLC...the wife would kill me when we have an extension to finish off.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Jaeger+LeCoultre-Reverso-Tribute-Duoface-Q3988482/p/17631371/

My young fella has a hankering for a Tank but the smaller lady sized gold one.
    Might perhaps keep a weather eye out for one for his 18th, next year.

Infairness we do seem to share similar size preferences. At 37mm this probably would be up you alley.

37mm! It’s meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Time wrote: »
    37mm! It’s meant to be.

So I'm not buying 893's VC with my GME money?
    Can I call dibs for when you shift it then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

My first automatic watch, a Seiko SRPD55K3 on a NATO strap. I had always promised myself a proper mechanical watch to celebrate 10 years working as a freelancer. That was last March, but only got around to making the purchase this week!

FhLfLuL.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

banie01 wrote: »
    My young fella has a hankering for a Tank but the smaller lady sized gold one.
    Might perhaps keep a weather eye out for one for his 18th, next year.

It's a Tank all the way for me with a leather strap. I have been obsessed with a JLC for the past 15 years.

My 6.5inch girly wrists do not want to see a big chunky bracelet with roundface- just a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,738 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's a Tank all the way for me with a leather strap. I have been obsessed with a JLC for the past 15 years.

My 6.5inch girly wrists do not want to see a big chunky bracelet with roundface- just a personal preference.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t789143957

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭3DataModem

546657.jpegCitizen Eco-Drive, custom limited edition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Cienciano wrote: »
    For me it's missing a number alright, a date! I hate watches with no date!

Some people hate them, I like it, can't go wrong for under €100 and you'll have no problem ever selling it for the same. It's a nice big size too. Pity the strap isn't 20mm instead of 18, but probably adds to the oddness of it.
    You needed to hunt down a Slava big zero then.

546676.jpg

• Advertisement

I hadn't actually posted a proper picture of this. Unfortunately my iPhone photography skills arent great so this is the best i could manage.

3-C29209-B-47-C6-4507-B888-77-BD04-B3-E3-A9.jpg

Advertisement