Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CB dead or alive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hi. Yes cb is still just about alive down here in cork.. like mad lad agree a good ham radio is miles better than cheap CBS's. Iactually went through a long phase of different types of cheap cb radios. Lincon.etc.but got a new kenwood 570 back in 2000. Absolutely best purchase ever..
    But I'm not really interested in chatting local within Ireland .my interest is long distance DX. And exchanging the odd qsl.card.
    And no i have absolutely no interest in getting a ham license..
    Much nicer people all over the world on the good old 11 metres.
    Finally the most important is a good base antenna as high as possible..
    Power seems to be everyone's preference but even last night I was listening in on 2 lads having a chat about 60km away and one fellow dropped down his power from 60 to 10 watts and he was still crystal clear .even with my pre amp off he was doing great..
    Good hobby ..very addictive.
    I also have an icon 706 that I got from a friend a few years back..so I'm now going to throw up a decent vhf aerial as I'm quite close to the coast and hook it up to the 706 as theres lots boats about

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hi. Yes cb is still just about alive down here in cork.. like mad lad agree a good ham radio is miles better than cheap CBS's. Iactually went through a long phase of different types of cheap cb radios. Lincon.etc.but got a new kenwood 570 back in 2000. Absolutely best purchase ever..
    But I'm not really interested in chatting local within Ireland .my interest is long distance DX. And exchanging the odd qsl.card.
    And no i have absolutely no interest in getting a ham license..
    Much nicer people all over the world on the good old 11 metres.
    Finally the most important is a good base antenna as high as possible..
    Power seems to be everyone's preference but even last night I was listening in on 2 lads having a chat about 60km away and one fellow dropped down his power from 60 to 10 watts and he was still crystal clear .even with my pre amp off he was doing great..
    Good hobby ..very addictive.
    I also have an icon 706 that I got from a friend a few years back..so I'm now going to throw up a decent vhf aerial as I'm quite close to the coast and hook it up to the 706 as theres lots boats about

It's not difficult getting your ham license, everything you need is on the IRTS site to study, once you have it it opens a lot more options and bands, CB band is challenging to say the least with the current sleeping sun that's hardly waking up even with this new cycle at least with Ham radio you can easily find a band that you can get out on + you can make better use of the radio having more bands.

There's a lot of very nice folk on ham radio too believe it or not, I never get this CB'ers against hams and hams against CB'ers ? I've nothing against CB and glad there's still some activity and I would love if it increased after all it's still radio and a lot more fun than posting rubbish on the likes of FB or boards.ie at least you can hear people and have the craic in a completely different way so many People today just can't understand or know which is really sad.

Yes I agree 100% the CB is superior to the modern technology. But here in Ireland its unfortunately an old man's hobby these days..never heard any young people on it. Unlike Spain and Italy where everyone still seems to utilize the usb.
    The skip is certainly not good at present but just before Christmas there was a few very good weeks with near perfect conditions.
    Finally as for the cb versus the licenced ham operators..I had a few buddies locally that like myself started out on CB and then went for their license .. well they clearly spelled it out that within the amateur radio licenced group there was a clear indicator that going back to the 11meter band and communicating with the As it was phased the illegal pheasants wasn't allowed..
    So my absolute honest take on the radio is come on air respect everyone else and like the many qsl cards that I have from all over the world..
    Were not strangers just simply friends that have never met..
    It's for this reason I honestly wouldn't ever bother with a license and I would treat licenced operators in a totally different category to the stand alone 11 meter operator.. simply looking out for a bit of skip to make the next distant division..
    As already said it now seems an older person's hobby here..I couldn't see my own young lad getting hooked on it..
    Cheers

Yes I agree 100% the CB is superior to the modern technology. But here in Ireland its unfortunately an old man's hobby these days..never heard any young people on it. Unlike Spain and Italy where everyone still seems to utilize the usb.
    The skip is certainly not good at present but just before Christmas there was a few very good weeks with near perfect conditions.
    Finally as for the cb versus the licenced ham operators..I had a few buddies locally that like myself started out on CB and then went for their license .. well they clearly spelled it out that within the amateur radio licenced group there was a clear indicator that going back to the 11meter band and communicating with the As it was phased the illegal pheasants wasn't allowed..
    So my absolute honest take on the radio is come on air respect everyone else and like the many qsl cards that I have from all over the world..
    Were not strangers just simply friends that have never met..
    It's for this reason I honestly wouldn't ever bother with a license and I would treat licenced operators in a totally different category to the stand alone 11 meter operator.. simply looking out for a bit of skip to make the next distant division..
    As already said it now seems an older person's hobby here..I couldn't see my own young lad getting hooked on it..
    Cheers

My 5 year old likes tuning the radio and watching the waterfall on the 7300 so you never know, the 6 year old, 7 in May isn't as interested yet, hopefully he'll get more in to it.

If your young lad is older maybe introduce him to some digital modes such as PSK31 or Olivia, they are really fun modes and still allows human contact via keyboard to keyboard chat, it just opens more areas of the hobby and it's not just talking to People via microphone.

As I said, having the license opens up a lot more bands and you don't have to wait for 11m skip, last May when I got the Chameleon MPAS 2.0 I had great fun with the FT-891 contacting Hams in South America as far as Chile on 20m in the evenings over the Summer, it was a challenge of course as big EU stations were hammering me but I got there with a very simple setup, this is what really gives me a buzz not having a big beam and 2 Kw of power, just getting out there with minimalist setup. I certainly wasn't expecting such DX form a portable antenna like that.

I think a lot of Hams are genuinely concerned about loosing their license if someone ratted them out being on 11m, Ireland is a small Island and you are easily identified by anyone familiar with your voice + these days it's too easy record someone and send it to Comreg + there's no real need to be on 11m if you have the Ham license and I certainly don't mean anything bad about that.

Hi again. Mad lad.
    Yes I suppose the pity here is that licenced operators are not supposed to transmit on 11metres which clearly creates a big divide between licenced and amateur 11meter. Likewise unlicensed not allowed to stray from 11metres.. again for me even though I would have a much broader spectrum of frequencies on licenced .I honestly prefer to chat away/DX on 11meter and talk to some stations that don't even use a call sign or even know their country division number..
    Alas I think in another 10years or so the 11 meter here in Ireland will possibly be extent. But for now theres still a few ears listening around the country..
    Regards for now..
    29 Ec 001

• Advertisement

Hi again. Mad lad.
    Yes I suppose the pity here is that licenced operators are not supposed to transmit on 11metres which clearly creates a big divide between licenced and amateur 11meter. Likewise unlicensed not allowed to stray from 11metres.. again for me even though I would have a much broader spectrum of frequencies on licenced .I honestly prefer to chat away/DX on 11meter and talk to some stations that don't even use a call sign or even know their country division number..
    Alas I think in another 10years or so the 11 meter here in Ireland will possibly be extent. But for now theres still a few ears listening around the country..
    Regards for now..
    29 Ec 001

The problem today is that everyone wants screens, apps and Spotify, Raspberry Pis etc and they wouldn't even be bothered with the hassles of installing an antenna, too much work. Back in the pre internet days there wasn't a lot else to do but it's up to us Older folk to make younger People aware of the wonderful hobby of radio whether it be Ham radio or 11m. My two Boys will hopefully be interested but I can already see how addictive the screens are with youtube and games on the tablet and phone and if they had the choice of playing around with the radio or tablet there's no chance they will choose the radio unless I'm using it and it's outside their limited screen time.

When they're older we'll make up some antennas and get them in the air and they can hear how simple it is to talk with no internet around the world.

I do remember back in the 90s how active CB was with the young folk People my own age and how the internet killed it almost immediately.

I do think it's sad though because Radio stimulates the brain in ways apps and screens just can't, for instance, making up an antenna, building a small radio transmitter for 40m or just getting on the air and seeing how far you can get with little power.

I really do believe it would be incredibly good for secondary school students to get educated on radio and even offer ham radio clubs because there is always a Ham willing to volunteer, it can teach them that without the radio in their mobile devices they are useless, get them talking to the international space station, even getting a few hundred students a year into the hobby would be worth the effort. Without education younger People on Amateur radio, CB etc the won't know it even exists.

All very true..but that's the generations changing in front of our eyes..very difficult for me to even explain the difference of when I was growing up in very rural Ireland..no esb till I was 5. Black and white TV at 6. Landline at 13.
    Jesus that was a momentous milestone.
    And to try to explain today that most children walked or cycled to school..
    No internet. No Netflix. No satellite tv.no central heating..
    But back then as children we had way more freedom.
    Bring back the 80s..
    Definitely beats our current climate..
    And yes certainly my small lad won't ever bother climbing a very tall tree with any type of aerial. Definitely too much like work..
    Keep the faith and discreetly tune.in now and again on the triple fives..
    Who knows I could be wrong and it might pick up again for local contact..
    But theres still loads of stations scattered around Ireland that like myself are only interested in the long distance skip..

All very true..but that's the generations changing in front of our eyes..very difficult for me to even explain the difference of when I was growing up in very rural Ireland..no esb till I was 5. Black and white TV at 6. Landline at 13.
    Jesus that was a momentous milestone.
    And to try to explain today that most children walked or cycled to school..
    No internet. No Netflix. No satellite tv.no central heating..
    But back then as children we had way more freedom.
    Bring back the 80s..
    Definitely beats our current climate..
    And yes certainly my small lad won't ever bother climbing a very tall tree with any type of aerial. Definitely too much like work..
    Keep the faith and discreetly tune.in now and again on the triple fives..
    Who knows I could be wrong and it might pick up again for local contact..
    But theres still loads of stations scattered around Ireland that like myself are only interested in the long distance skip..

Perhaps it's time then to arrange some local 11m nets, if you do let me know I will listen in, definitely won't join in for obvious reasons not snobbery at all but this age of recording everything and all that.

I do wish sometimes we could go back to a pre-internet for many reasons. I would love to see Children today be less addicted to screens and schools teach proper electronics and Ham radio and get them ready for taking the ham radio exam. There has to be more to school life than just the normal subjects and books.

It's funny actually my 5 year old likes tuning the old FT-77 more than the 7300 he calls it his radio lol and any time I'm in the shack he wants me to turn it on so he can mess around with it but it's hard for him to tune in SSB for obvious reasons, it's something I am encouraging and hopefully he'll get hooked, the older lad I'm not so sure whether he'll be as interested but I have the panadapter for the 7300 and connect it to the Airspy SDR and I can bring the waterfall up on the big screen which is really convenient and he's more interested in this so maybe if you haven't already get an SDR and see if your Son will play around with that.

If you haven't try PSK31 or Olivia, I like these digi modes. I do dabble in FT8 now an again, it's interesting to see how far you get out and you can use pskreporter to see if the bands are open.

Hopefully the sun will wake up again properly in this new cycle but so far it's not looking good and we could be heading for a grand solar minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Brian Hayden

Ah God be with the days there be lots of charters on the 11m goid old .085, I only recently got myself another rig from long com and put it in the jam jar with a sirio 5000 mag and lincoln 2 plus , great rig all the channels from 25 to 30 including the Alphas aswell, but not spoke to anyone on it yet, mind you that could be the area I'm in aswell , bit if a dip in kildare, thinking of getting an antron for the roof in a few days now but really need to hear a few ppl on it again before I start forking out a few hundred yoyos for the home base set up. Setting up some kind of club or something similar is a great idea I think aswell. I'm an old timer user from back over 25 hrs ago ( 29 DW 01). Just wondering how many ppl are still actually on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ah God be with the days there be lots of charters on the 11m goid old .085, I only recently got myself another rig from long com and put it in the jam jar with a sirio 5000 mag and lincoln 2 plus , great rig all the channels from 25 to 30 including the Alphas aswell, but not spoke to anyone on it yet, mind you that could be the area I'm in aswell , bit if a dip in kildare, thinking of getting an antron for the roof in a few days now but really need to hear a few ppl on it again before I start forking out a few hundred yoyos for the home base set up. Setting up some kind of club or something similar is a great idea I think aswell. I'm an old timer user from back over 25 hrs ago ( 29 DW 01). Just wondering how many ppl are still actually on these days.

There's a CB group on Facebook that arrange nets and skeds etc. I was on back in 70s and 80s.

I've the license now but not very active for different reasons.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    There's a CB group on Facebook that arrange nets and skeds etc. I was on back in 70s and 80s.

I've the license now but not very active for different reasons.

I might just re join FB again and see what it's all about , I am actually considering taking the exam for the operators license, actually studying the material over the past week or so but most if it is common sense to me so far but have learnt some new things aswell.

I might just re join FB again and see what it's all about , I am actually considering taking the exam for the operators license, actually studying the material over the past week or so but most if it is common sense to me so far but have learnt some new things aswell.

Yes do get your Ham license because it will open up a whole new world for you, you'll find lots of activity on the ham bands, there's even the digital modes like PSK31 and Olivia I like a lot because you can have keyboard to keyboard chat and Olivia can work with signals you can't even see on the waterfall.

But regarding CB, I'd use the vertical if you want DX but try a dipole maybe for local distances and you might hear better. I think everyone on CB seems to have only a vertical, you can switch between the two antennas.

With the low solar activity the last number of years it certainly doesn't help, particularly with CB frequencies but keep calling CQ because if no one is calling no one can hear and with SDRs today a signal can be spotted almost immediately. We're in a new solar cycle but the sun is still very inactive.

Check out my SDR here http://emeraldsdr1.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/

The above SDR should get better NVIS coverage than my other one which is better for DX which you can also use http://emeraldsdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

are you far from athy?.
    im 20 mins from ballylynan on the laois side.

Sure we're all close enough then lol.

Sure we're all close enough then lol.

where are you,tolerton?.

bassy wrote: »
    are you far from athy?.
    im 20 mins from ballylynan on the laois side.

I be a bit from Athy ok, am about 10km north of kildare town ( Rathangan), have been scanning the channels when I can but only in the car atm as waiting on the base aerial etc to arrive.

I be a bit from Athy ok, am about 10km north of kildare town ( Rathangan), have been scanning the channels when I can but only in the car atm as waiting on the base aerial etc to arrive.

27.535 usb every night from 9.30 or 10 on wards lads from kilkenny carlow laois.

27.535 usb every night from 9.30 or 10 on wards lads from kilkenny carlow laois.

Cheers for that , will have to wait till the weekend to see if I can catch em as do be in the sack at 9.30 as have very early starts in d morning but will defo give em a holler and see . Cheers

where are you,tolerton?.

Tolerton ?

Tolerton ?

where are you located,QTH.

• Advertisement

where are you located,QTH.

Around 5 Kms from the Supervalue in Carlow Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Started CB in the late 70s early 80s as my Uncles had them in thier Cars and my Grandparents ran a taxi company and the cars had them so they had a base rig so come the Summer when the Skip was in I had great craic yapping to the World and still have some QSL cards which was fantastic for a wee boy to get thro the Post ha ha. Now living in the Mid-West have a standard Fm/Am rig in my van that I constantly call on Ch19/14 but constantly quiet :-( Have a larger home rig in the shack that I do get the Odd USB QSO when the Skip is in but other than that the Mid-West is fairly quiet... I do run Zello, Echolink, Peanut, DMR etc...but theres just something about calling on 10/11m but maybe its just me trying to re-live my early years in Radio ....

Cheers for that , will have to wait till the weekend to see if I can catch em as do be in the sack at 9.30 as have very early starts in d morning but will defo give em a holler and see . Cheers

hi brian have you checked out 27.535 USB the will be on tonight from any time past 10pm till around 12

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭dubhlinn55

Be great to see a resurgence in cb again in Ireland it's a wonderful hobby as I would love to get back into it.

Yeah very difficult to see CB antenna on Lorries these days. + a lot of cars today have no metal roofs any more making it more difficult to install an antenna or providing adequate grounding.

Would be great to see more homes have a CB radio, I remember the craic People used to have before the Internet took over, typing just isn't the same as having the banter on CB.

I suppose these days a lot of People wouldn't be bothered trying to mount an antenna on their house or run some coax, too easy to pick up a phone and get zombified by the internet.

I don't hear much local action on the CB band and the band still isn't as open as it was in the past but it's definitely improving and I've heard some good skip in the last couple of weeks. But it's really a day time band for skip these days.

27.535 USB around 10.30 -11.30 at night does be local chat with guys from kilkenny.

Update the thread if you hear them on and I'll listen out, I'm not far from Carlow Town so should hear them.

It's really easy get on air but to be honest so many more bands to talk on day or night on the Amateur bands. Still would be nice to see a revival of CB in Ireland, I'd love to put up a CB for my Two Sons age 6 and a half and 8 to be able to talk to their local friends but even if I tried do that or suggest to their Friends Parents they'd probably think I'm a weirdo. They have a couple of friends within 5 kms be ideal and they'd have great craic but the Parents would have to be on board. Probably rather them stuck to a tablet all day but talking on a radio is weird these days lol.

You could get them baofeng handhelds which might be handier for your son's friends than erecting antennas on there house.

I'll be listening on 27.535 USB tonight from 9.30 on wards.

I'm a licensed ei op,but I came from cb that was my bread and butter in to radio.

I could try give you a shout tonight see can we hear each other I'm using a imax 2000 about 30ft off the ground.

• Advertisement

Don't think my FTDX-10 will TX on the CB band in fact I bet it won't + I wouldn't be able to tune up on my EFHW. But if you want to give a few calls out on 27.535 I'll have a listen out, just let me know here before hand so I'm not wasting my time listening out for you 😁

I'm just thinking, just like for ham radio wouldn't it be better to have a wire antenna for NVIS rather than vertical ? Wire can be good for DX too, I get good DX on the EFHW too in a sort of inv L config. First half is up around 60-65 Feet then slops down and the UNUN is around 3 feet off the ground and I have it grounded there.

Advertisement