Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hybrid SUV advice

Options
  • 09-03-2021 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

My Dad is currently driving a 2005 ML270 that's on it's last legs (as well as being on crazy tax and thirsty as hell).

His commute is 25km round trip and he's decided he wants a hybrid. I need something he can get in and out of easily - so an automatic PHEV SUV looks best.

His budget is up to 22k.

I'm looking at something on the bigger side. Seems to be loads of Outlanders and Kia Niro's about on Donedeal. The Rav4 and Seat Ateca look nice, but see damn all of them.

Anyone have any advice they can give? Boring and reliable is fine, he drives like a gran anyway:D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Outlander or Niro are really the only PHEV SUVs in that price range, Outlander is obviously bigger so it'd seem like that's the one to look it though the Niro is definitely nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have thought a ML would be at least the same size if not slightly better than an Outlander. The Niro is a crossover rather than SUV and is certainly smaller than both the others. Ateca is only a mild hybrid at the moment and that only came with the facelift model earlier this year so you won't buy one for 22k and Rav4s seem to be starting at about 2k above your budget. Regarding the Outlander, this is a plug-in hybrid so does your father have a charger at home or is he prepared to have one installed because if not then it will just run on petrol all the time but carrying around the heavy batteries too which just defeats the purpose.

What about a Lexus NX300h? Same running gear and reliability as the Rav4 but a bit more upmarket. Your budget might squeeze you into one but you may have to drop back a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Thanks lads.

Yeah, he'll stretch 25k maybe if he to (he won't be happy about it though:D). I see there's a 2015 Lexus up on Donedeal alright - something like that might suit alright thanks bazz. Regarding the Niro, wasn't aware it was a crossover, he might get away with it though if the seating position is high enough. I'll have to get him out to test drive I guess.

He'll get the plug installed in the house. My brother got it done a while ago, so they've someone lined up who can carry it out.

A lot of the Rav4's (and Outlanders) seem to be high mileage, are these ex-fleet? Is there any worry buying hybrids with that kind of mileage? He won't be racking much up on it himself once he buys it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

Most outlanders are ex uk company cars, usually high mileage but full main dealer service history. I wouldn’t be put off at all by high mileage on a plug in hybrid. The battery systems are reliable and usually have really long warranties until 100k miles or something

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

themighty wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

Yeah, he'll stretch 25k maybe if he to (he won't be happy about it though:D). I see there's a 2015 Lexus up on Donedeal alright - something like that might suit alright thanks bazz. Regarding the Niro, wasn't aware it was a crossover, he might get away with it though if the seating position is high enough. I'll have to get him out to test drive I guess.

He'll get the plug installed in the house. My brother got it done a while ago, so they've someone lined up who can carry it out.

A lot of the Rav4's (and Outlanders) seem to be high mileage, are these ex-fleet? Is there any worry buying hybrids with that kind of mileage? He won't be racking much up on it himself once he buys it though.

2018 Rav-4 here with small mileage, the only thing is that it's the old model but still more modern than a 05 ML however:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2750376

• Advertisement

That's comforting about the batteries lads. Sorry about all the questions, making sure I've all my bases covered:).

Great find bazz, I'll put that and the Lexus to him and see how we go. Being an older model won't bother him, he's a total luddite - don't think he knows how to use everything on the ML as is :D.

Just a quick update.

He picked up an Outlander about a month ago. He's pretty chuffed with it. His commute has gone from costing him €50pw to €3pw (excluding charging costs - he tops it up when he gets home). Plus he avoided paying another quarter of tax at ~€400. There's a bit more road noise than the ML but that's balanced out by there being no big tractor engine in it. I can't really think of any other downsides.

Thanks to everyone for the advice:).

Advertisement