Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal withdraws from Rotterdam. Medvedev is now the top seed, and will rise to world #2 if he can reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadal withdraws from Rotterdam. Medvedev is now the top seed, and will rise to world #2 if he can reach the final.
    Inevitible, he certainly wasn't at full tilt down under, back was giving him trouble pre-tournament so I presume this is a precautionary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

California Masters in cancelled, is Florida going ahead ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

After such an enticing looking draw initially, Rotterdam completely fell apart. Most of the top seeds out in either the first or second round.

Muguruza/Kvitova final starting now in Doha, hoping Muguruza wins. Think she's more chances of winning grand slams so I'd prefer her to get the momentum. 1-4 against Kvitova though, the only one she won was their first match back in Singapore 2015.

Federer, meanwhile, will play his first match back next week against either Evans or Chardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This looks like shaping up into a very good final in Doha. Muguruza in excellent form of late, if she can sustain it, she'd be a definite contender for slam glory this year i think. I thought she'd win this week but kvitota playing well too from the bits i've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Well that turned into a damp squib. Muguruza didnt seem to enjoy windy conditions but not much of an excuse really. Kvitova just had her measure, 28-10 in finals now, so solid. Should never have doubted her!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic gets to 311 weeks today and surpasses Federer.
    He probably would be well past him by now if it wasn't for the 22 weeks missed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

josip wrote: »
    Djokovic gets to 311 weeks today and surpasses Federer.
    He probably would be well past him by now if it wasn't for the 22 weeks missed last year.

Well, with ranking points now frozen/half frozen until the French, he will be able to add a couple of months without playing too much, so its swings and roundabouts in the end.

Hard to see any of the current generation having the dominance to come close to those numbers.

Medvedev is to move up No 2 next week, first time someone outside the Big 4 has been in the top 2 since mid 2005, amazing....

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

Anyone else not able to watch ATP Doha on Amazon Prime? I can see all the other tournaments.

JPup wrote: »
    Anyone else not able to watch ATP Doha on Amazon Prime? I can see all the other tournaments.

just checked there, don't see it on offer either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

JPup wrote: »

Can you actually see any tennis tournaments on Amazon Prime since the New Year Brexit? I feel like they all turn up with "This title is not available in your location" It's all only Amazon Originals showing up on Prime now.

I learned though that you can use a Hola VPN set to UK to watch tennis/UK content. I did so when watching Rotterdam live. Unfortunately it's only on my phone, I can't use Chromecast on it like before.

Doha (or Qatar Exxonmobil) should turn up on the "Live and Upcoming Events" section if you scroll down the mainpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

Strange thing is that I can see the WTA in Dubai but not ATP in Qatar this week, but last week it was letting me watch Rotterdam. Not sure what my account settings are on Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Found it myself on Amazon eventually. You have to search for Qatar ExxonMobil, their search function is absolutely brutal for one of the biggest tech companies on the planet. In fact the entire UI of prime video is brutal.

Found it myself on Amazon eventually. You have to search for Qatar ExxonMobil, their search function is absolutely brutal for one of the biggest tech companies on the planet.

Indeed it is. Would also like to know if there's a way to pin my favourites to the top of the app? Hate having to scroll down every time to find the tennis.

I don't think so. I'd say half of what I watch on Prime Video is tennis, yet when there's a tournament on does it come up in my suggestions on the home page? Not a chance, you have to search for it and even half the time that's a mission.

Federer wins on his return.

...and all was well once again in the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rusty with flashes of brilliance. Evans was a good first opponent.

Monorail32 wrote: »
    Would love to see Federer win Wimbledon and then the US Open at the age of 40.

I always wanted to fly an SR 71.
    That's not going to happen either :)

Was watching Fritz v Shapovalov there, fair play to Fritz for holding his nerve, He was serving for it 5-4 in the third and Shapovalov broke back 5/5 I thought he would go on with that momentum.

Fritz immediately broke back and won it 7/5.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fed in big trouble here. Movement is gone, whether its the injury or tired playing 2 matched in 2 days.

• Advertisement

And he's out, he looked quite poor today.

Basilashvili has been in terrible form for quite a while so that's a bad loss, however it's pretty understandable given his age and time away. He is going to lose a few more of these matches before he gets back into any kind of form. I imagine for Federer at this stage it's all going to be about being ready for Wimbledon.

Once BasilasMilli-Vanilli smelled blood he played fairly well. How Fed got to a match point is beyond me, but Basilashvilin dug in a few times on his service games. I doubt Fed would have showed tomorrow anyway, projecting 37 degrees in Doha tomorrow. I would have thought he would be happy with that workout, providing the knee is ok.

And he's out, he looked quite poor today.

Pity, I was looking forward to Fritz Federer ...

And he's pulled out of Dubai as well.

Daniil Medvedev #2 !!!

deserved !

First time someone other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray has been ranked no.2 since 2005.

First time someone other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray has been ranked no.2 since 2005.

wow, I would have thought Thiem would have touched there ... just kissed it, briefly after winning the USO.

I'd say he would have if Nadal wasn't still using his 2019 points from the US Open at the time.

• Advertisement

Djokovic joins Nadal, Federer and Thiem in avoiding Miami, looks like European Clay is the next time we will see anything like a complete field on the mens side.

Advertisement