Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ to cease radio transmission on DAB network

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

is there anything shared between saorview and DAB? I never looked into it and just assumed they were related because I get the same radio channels on saorview as DAB in the car

No they’re unrelated technologies and separate networks. RTE just bundle the same stations onto it.

DVB-T used for terrestrial television isn’t suitable for small, portable devices and often needs an external antenna on the roof. There was some interest in DVB-H which was designed with the idea of steaming tv channels to mobile devices, but it never went beyond a few experiments. I think Nokia may have produced handsets for it for some trial services in the early 2000s.

O2 Ireland trialled it in 2007 and didn’t pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Andy454 wrote: »
    RTE GOLD and Pulse will die if they are cut from DAB, they will go the way of BBC Three.....

BBC Three seems to be doing okay: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/mar/02/bbc-three-to-return-as-broadcast-channel-next-year

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

90% of our used cars come (came) from the uk. New car sales isn't the full picture

You'll probably need to back that stat up. I could find the below stats about imported cars but not as percentage of used cars sold, probably hard to determine how many are even DAB enabled. Even so, my overall point was that they are still a minority of DAB enabled cars, even if you factored in another 100k, there's 2.5m to 3m cars registered in Ireland.

Even if we had 250k cars with DAB enabled, we can't assume all listen to radio, then you consider how many actually listen to DAB considering it's limited service, the choice on FM in most areas is far better. And then... Yous step out of the car and you have no DAB access. It's over to FM or more likely a digital stream.

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/car-import-statistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

KReid wrote: »
    You'll probably need to back that stat up. I could find the below stats about imported cars but not as percentage of used cars sold, probably hard to determine how many are even DAB enabled. Even so, my overall point was that they are still a minority of DAB enabled cars, even if you factored in another 100k, there's 2.5m to 3m cars registered in Ireland.

Even if we had 250k cars with DAB enabled, we can't assume all listen to radio, then you consider how many actually listen to DAB considering it's limited service, the choice on FM in most areas is far better. And then... Yous step out of the car and you have no DAB access. It's over to FM or more likely a digital stream.

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/car-import-statistics/

I think it's about 90k used cars came from the UK per year. Agree with the rest of what you're saying big chicken and egg stuff going on where nobody in Ireland seeked it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Actually just realising now how much I used DAB. Clock radio and kitchen radio, so probably about 5 hours a day at the moment. You don't know what you got til it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Actually just realising now how much I used DAB. Clock radio and kitchen radio, so probably about 5 hours a day at the moment. You don't know what you got til it's gone.

Anyone seen a good deal on the Amazon echo dot with alarm? I use a DAB radio as an alarm at the moment and thinking of replacing with this but they seem to be about €80 odd which is way over my price point

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Anyone seen a good deal on the Amazon echo dot with alarm? I use a DAB radio as an alarm at the moment and thinking of replacing with this but they seem to be about €80 odd which is way over my price point
    The Lenovo/Google alarm clock is quite good, but you might already have a few Amazon products.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I see RTE have already removed the 64k DAB+ 2FM and 48k DAB+ Radio 1 from the MUX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

jrmb wrote: »
    The Lenovo/Google alarm clock is quite good, but you might already have a few Amazon products.
    The google home mini is a great little speaker and I see it going for 42 euro in one place. It doesn't display the time but you can use it as an alarm clock. The trouble with free services like Tunein of course is they can change anything/pull the plug at any time and finding the magic words to locate channels can be a challenge at times.

Does it stream radio stations from the internet or just from your phone?

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Does it stream radio stations from the internet or just from your phone?
    Smart speakers stream from the internet via wifi. They are independent of your phone, though you usually set them up with a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I heard an advert on RTE Radio 1 this morning regarding the DAB closedown. I was thinking, the vast majority of people will have no clue what on earth they are talking about.

They should have run breakout adverts on the DAB stations only... "this service will cease on X date" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

JDxtra wrote: »
    I heard an advert on RTE Radio 1 this morning regarding the DAB closedown. I was thinking, the vast majority of people will have no clue what on earth they are talking about.

They should have run breakout adverts on the DAB stations only... "this service will cease on X date" etc.

Like during the switch to saorview, those Tommy and Pj ads made some people with sky think that they had to buy a saorview box

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cube98 wrote: »
    Like during the switch to saorview, those Tommy and Pj ads made some people with sky think that they had to buy a saorview box

i would be surprised if that was any more then a very tiny amount of people, if that did indeed happen.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

People in about 22 counties never had dab in the first place. Dab sets have been widely sold all over the country since the mid 00s but people in places like Galway and Westport have bought dab radios in their local Argos only to discover when they brought them home that not only do they not pick up the BBC (as many expected for some reason) but there was no dab service whatsoever available in their region.

Cube98 wrote: »
    People in about 22 counties never had dab in the first place. Dab sets have been widely sold all over the country since the mid 00s but people in places like Galway and Westport have bought dab radios in their local Argos only to discover when they brought them home that not only do they not pick up the BBC (as many expected for some reason) but there was no dab service whatsoever available in their region.
    They're still selling them. Though I would be surprised if any didn't have an FM tuner builtin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

plodder wrote: »
    The google home mini is a great little speaker and I see it going for 42 euro in one place. It doesn't display the time but you can use it as an alarm clock. The trouble with free services like Tunein of course is they can change anything/pull the plug at any time and finding the magic words to locate channels can be a challenge at times.

I've tried the Google and Amazon speakers. For me, the Google system is far more user friendly. Even if you aren't sure what the "magic words" for a radio station or podcast are, you can just pick up your phone and start the casting without any fuss. Google's mistake is that they didn't come up with a snappy activating word like "Alexa".

I agree though re. the apps losing stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's no need for 'magic words', you just say "Alexa, play [radio station name]".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's no need for 'magic words', you just say "Alexa, play [radio station name]".
    Alexa can get confused with certain stations. Newstalk is one.

Don't know about Alexa, but google home gets confused easily. If you say "play newstalk" it won't find it, but "play newstalk fm" it will .. for now.

And as the thread below shows 2 FM was easy to find up to a few months ago, and then disappeared. Someone pointed out recently you can find it with:

"play Dublin RTE 2 FM" - not exactly intuitive.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/77472561?hl=en

These are global systems, and there could easily be any number of other Newstalks around the world, but they need to come up with some better way of discriminating regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

won't be long before jingles say the alexa appropriate name instead of 99.99 FM old style jingles

I think this is a stupid idea from RTÉ. I only use DAB in my car I do not use internet stations while driving nor will I start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

JDxtra wrote: »

Don’t suppose you recorded it?

"Newstalk Radio" and "RTE Radio One/two etc" gets them. It's just knowing what it knows the station as.

I often get Tay FM instead of Today FM, I left Tay on one day and I was all the better for it!

2FM hasn't been called 'Radio 2' since 1988.

I meant RTE Two FM.

I meant RTE Two FM.
    Maybe you are talking about Alexa, but regarding Google Home:

'RTE Two FM' doesn't work. 'RTE Radio Two' doesn't work. '2FM' doesn't work. 'Newstalk radio' doesn't work. 'Dublin RTE Two FM' and 'Newstalk FM' does work. So sure, you just have to know what it knows it as, but it's not obvious, is subject to change, and is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Pity about DAB going down the tubes here.

Auto Tuning is a great feature of DAB and in that respect was a real forward step.

Probably never promoted properly here I guess so was never going to be successful. Pity

Keep on manual tuning I suppose!

Maybe you are talking about Alexa, but regarding Google Home:

I was, as someone said Google is more friendly than Alexa and I was just showing how easy it is on Alexa, whereas you're showing the opposite, Google seems to be a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Don't know about Alexa, but google home gets confused easily. If you say "play newstalk" it won't find it, but "play newstalk fm" it will .. for now.

And as the thread below shows 2 FM was easy to find up to a few months ago, and then disappeared. Someone pointed out recently you can find it with:

"play Dublin RTE 2 FM" - not exactly intuitive.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/77472561?hl=en

These are global systems, and there could easily be any number of other Newstalks around the world, but they need to come up with some better way of discriminating regions.

Using Alexa
    If you are signed up to "Tune in Radio"
    By asking Alexa to play say "XXX from tune in" it always works.

Advertisement