Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ to cease radio transmission on DAB network

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder how many people bought DAB radios, thinking they'd now be able to pick up the BBC stations? I think it was mis-sold to some extent. You've also got to remember that DAB never reached large swathes of the country. Did the coverage ever expand much past what's on this map which I think is from 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Yeah I remember a lot of confusion about that, particularly when you often had boxes with U.K. oriented imagery on them mentioning extra stations.

A lot of people assumed they were Internet radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

In my young days we had a big old PYE radio, MW, LW and SW. The radio reached the end of its days in the spring of 1983, my older brother bought a new Babino radio with MW, LW, SW and ULK (can't remember exactly) but its another name for FM. So one day I was playing around with the dial, I tried this new button and scanning through I came across the great Larry Gogan, it was my first time hearing Larry and Radio2 at that time on FM, I couldn't believe the much better sound quality, even on that mono radio.
    Let's hope FM sticks around for a long time to come.

Its unbelievable to see morden technology heading for the Attic and worse, the skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭golondrinas

On a good day,depending on conditions, I can get English DAB stations on a Sharp DR 1470 just using the telescopic aerial. Don’t know why I bought it as hay google , kygo speakers are almost as good for sound.

I live near the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Dindane

In my young days we had a big old PYE radio, MW, LW and SW. The radio reached the end of its days in the spring of 1983, my older brother bought a new Babino radio with MW, LW, SW and ULK (can't remember exactly) but its another name for FM.

VHF?

Dindane wrote: »
    VHF?

Thank you, silly me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

Babino radio with MW, LW, SW and ULK (can't remember exactly)

Or was it 'UKW' ? - the name used in Germany for the regular FM radio band - UKW (or 'U' for short)

Antenna wrote: »
    Or was it 'UKW' ? - the name used in Germany for the regular FM radio band - UKW (or 'U' for short)

That was exactly it, knew it was something like that, UKW, that jogged a memory alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭corkie

Obsolete technology for Ireland now.

Got a cheap Bush DAB Radio Alarm clock in Early 2020, around the time of first lockdown. Also got beard/hair trimmer at the same time.

Can not see currys or argos selling there inventory now.

Only used the DAB stations to set the time automatically, and nothing else because thought they would be more stations on it. (Not UK ones).

Was not keeping informed of the status of DAB and only came aware of it been down when I couldn't set the time today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    They switched TV to. Digital and not radio.
    It is limiting potential choice.

FM is not full anywhere in Ireland. Phantom/TXFM's slot in Dublin is still empty. There is not the advertising or licence fee to provide for more stations. BAI's ridiculous content regulations are a major problem. RTE Gold etc. only existed on DAB in that form because they were test services, no ads, no bullshít requirements for Irish, news, etc.

Scrap the cap!

Comhra wrote: »
    Six prods of the touchscreen every time I start the car, just to get RTE 1 FM. :(

It's really not very reassuring that people that thick designed your car!

As for someone thinking DAB sounded better than FM... pull the other one.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭lertsnim

corkie wrote: »
    Can not see currys or argos selling there inventory now.

They'll sell to their UK customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

To avoid any confusion the K is the German abbreviation for Short. UKW translates as Ultra Short Wave.

UKW is "Ultrakurzwelle"

If they call VHF "ultra short" what do they call UHF?!? :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saorsat

I see on Twitter some (mask wearing in their profile photos) Normies are thanking RTE for reinstating DAB🙄. These Normies think dab is back because RTE comes automatically on their car radio again since the dab tx was switched off last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Saorsat wrote: »
    I see on Twitter some (mask wearing in their profile photos) Normies are thanking RTE for reinstating DAB🙄. These Normies think dab is back because RTE comes automatically on their car radio again since the dab tx was switched off last week.

wow, riveting stuff.
    i'm soooooooo outraged.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

If they call VHF "ultra short" what do they call UHF?!? :pac:

Answered my own question - opened UHF article on Wikipedia then clicked Deutsch...
    Als Dezimeterwellen, auch dm-Wellenbereich, UHF-Frequenzbereich, UHF-Frequenzband oder UHF-Band (englisch Ultra High Frequency – UHF), bezeichnet man elektromagnetische Wellen mit einer Wellenlänge von einem bis zehn Dezimeter (10 cm bis 1 Meter), was einem Frequenzband von ca. 3000 MHz (3 GHz) bis 300 MHz entspricht. Der Dezimeterwellenbereich liegt somit zwischen den (längeren) Ultrakurzwellen und den Zentimeterwellen.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saorsat

They're DAB and FM radios with Bluetooth so still perfectly functional.

But sure according to this thread, DAB is going to come roaring back any day now, so kudos to the Germans for making sure we're all ready.
    Simon "comical ali" Maher was on Flirt FM the other day predicting that DAB is coming in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

I noticed today the mini-mux at RTE in Donnybrook is still active, the only station playing audio was RED FM Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Under what exact license are these MUXes from the RTÉ campus transmitting under?

Test?
    Trial?
    Unlicensed / Pirate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Saorsat wrote: »
    Simon "comical ali" Maher was on Flirt FM the other day predicting that DAB is coming in 2022

LOL - Comical Ali :)

I think what I said on Wireless on Flirt FM was that I suspect that when one Radio group jumps then the others would have to follow and that I thought that the arrival of Bauer may light that particular fuse and that if that happens then we may see DAB in use in 2022.

Obviously I hope so from both my 8Radio and general radio industry perspectives. Knock the barriers to entry down and if it works then great, we end up with more choice on Terrestrial radio (which should serve to increase the share of the advertising cake that Radio gets) and if it doesn't work then at least we will have tried.

Interview is the first item on this months show: https://wirelessflirt.radio.ie/2021/04/05/programme-51-april-2021/

Your comical pal, Simon.
    8Radio.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Don't know if its been mentioned already on this thread, but Three Rock's TX is now off. It was stil on air with "This Service is Closed" since 31st March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

Don't know if its been mentioned already on this thread, but Three Rock's TX is now off. It was stil on air with "This Service is Closed" since 31st March

Was reported switched off on the 9th April, in this thread.

It should have been switched off immediately considering the resultant hassle with some/many DAB car radios reported here, or alternatively what were the four stations also on FM completely disabled on the MUX, with the digital-only RTE radio stations carrying the Closure messages on DAB (perhaps with spoken message in a loop as well as the displayed messages for the benefit of anyone visually impaired who could not read the messages)

In comparison the analogue TV transmitters were switched off without delay when the service ceased in 2012.
    There may have been some justification though to have run a 'nightlight' info-service on one analogue channel per transmitter site (the one that was RTE 1 where possible) for a few days after though.
    As was done in the USA:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9OOV3FlWc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In comparison the analogue TV transmitters were switched off without delay when the service ceased in 2012.
    There may have been some justification though to have run a 'nightlight' info-service on one analogue channel per transmitter site (the one for RTE 1 where possible) for a few days after though.

The Government's own DSO/ASO digital switch over website went down the day after switch over, never to come back. While RTÉ ran another ASO/DSO campaign. It was a complete mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I found an interesting article online today - Magill Magazine from 2008, reporting on the start of the DAB trial.

The article is entitled 'RTE steps quietly into the unknown'. Now that they have quietly stepped out of it, the article is worth a read to see how hopeful the venture once was, although the article also notes challenges that ultimately were not addressed, and that eventually resulted in the recent switch off.

https://magill.ie/archive/rte-steps-quietly-unknown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's an ad running on RTE television at the moment for their radio services. The radio being used in it is a DAB radio.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's an ad running on RTE television at the moment for their radio services. The radio being used in it is a DAB radio.

They have to keep things a kind of modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Have you ever heard of ERP and antenna gain?

Advertisement