Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Leave request

Options
  • 08-03-2021 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This isn't a work issue more so a query, I cannot find an answer to it online.

What is the notice period for annual leave? Is this up to the employer? Is there a threshold of how far the employer can go with annual leave?

For example if I want a holiday next week and the employer say not enough staff no holidays allowed this month, can they do that?

It has been advised to us by the employer due to staff shortages annual leave requests maybe refused, I want to know were I stand if I was to put in a request.

Can they also take annual leave away that has been approved?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

yup they can the employer needs to provide you with the opportunity to take the holidays but does not have to agree to every request

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

This isn't a work issue more so a query, I cannot find an answer to it online.

What is the notice period for annual leave? Is this up to the employer? Is there a threshold of how far the employer can go with annual leave?

For example if I want a holiday next week and the employer say not enough staff no holidays allowed this month, can they do that?

It has been advised to us by the employer due to staff shortages annual leave requests maybe refused, I want to know were I stand if I was to put in a request.

Can they also take annual leave away that has been approved?

Thanks

Taking annual leave
    The Act provides for a basic annual paid leave entitlement of 4 weeks, although an employee's contract could give greater rights.

It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken. In addition, annual leave should be taken within the appropriate leave year or with your consent, within 6 months of the relevant leave year.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's up to the employer how they manage leave requests. We've to give a month's notice for all requests, for example, and only one person on each account can be off at any one time. So even if I give the month's notice, if someone I share an account with is already off on any of my dates, I'll be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

ec18 wrote: »
    yup they can the employer needs to provide you with the opportunity to take the holidays but does not have to agree to every request

Okay thanks but they need to be able to provide the full annual provide obviously within the space of 12 months I’d imagine.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's up to the employer how they manage leave requests. We've to give a month's notice for all requests, for example, and only one person on each account can be off at any one time. So even if I give the month's notice, if someone I share an account with is already off on any of my dates, I'll be refused.

Wow that sound harsh.

• Advertisement

Okay thanks but they need to be able to provide the full annual provide obviously within the space of 12 months I’d imagine.

Yes should allow you to use all it in a calendar year including two consecutive weeks. By agreement they can be deferred to next year.

What's the issue you're having?

Wow that sound harsh.

Fairly common, many employers have holiday periods or restrictions on how many from a team can be out at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Wow that sound harsh.

that is fairly standard .. not harsh

the word 'request' is there for a reason - you request Annual leave and it is up to the employer to either grant the request or refuse it.

Businesses need to have adequate resources to maintain business - managing annual leave is part of this resource management.

Most companies will be flexible with requests at short notice etc .. but will always reserve the right to reject a request if it overlaps with other's leave or at times when business demands the resources.

Also - your employee handbook should have more details on the specific company policy

ec18 wrote: »
    Yes should allow you to use all it in a calendar year including two consecutive weeks. By agreement they can be deferred to next year.

What's the issue you're having?

There is no issue, just there has been an email sent saying we are short staffed and holiday requests may be rejected, I want to make sure I know the procedure of how holiday requests work if I need to take on in the near future say if one gets declined.

Ultimately I want to keep a good relationship with my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wow that sound harsh.

Harsh is making you plan leave a year in advance, and not allowing any changes after the plan is agreed. It happens in some companies.

• Advertisement

Harsh is making you plan leave a year in advance, and not allowing any changes after the plan is agreed. It happens in some companies.

That seems to me poor management of teams and total disregard for employees needs my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I look after leave in my place, allow holiday requests for next day as long as there is business coverage. Everyone can see the schedule so rarely have eejits requesting days off when there are already a few out. Treat people like responsible adults and usually they act that way in my experience.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I look after leave in my place, allow holiday requests for next day as long as there is business coverage. Everyone can see the schedule so rarely have eejits requesting days off when there are already a few out. Treat people like responsible adults and usually they act that way in my experience.

That was the way my job was until a new manager arrived, if cover was adequate then you could have a holiday the next day. Now it is 2 weeks notice even if cover is adequate with the new manager. To me it appears that the new manager wants to put new polices in place but without reason as to why.

Advertisement