Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Boardser: Main House

Comments

cj maxx wrote: »
    God I was so green. I knew there were back channels, just couldn't find them on the phone!
    And I didn't really use my diary room. Hangover from not watching bb :(

WTF is a back channel??

Not much wonder I got nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The reason I chose you, Ace and Liz was because I assumed most of the FG regulars would split off in to separate groups, so I tried to pick people who might not be, to give them at least one group to be a part of. Though obviously ye were both invited in to those groups anyway :)

What's FG, Fine Gael :P I am a tad upset Aaron that I was a replacement but I recently discovered from LeVar tv walrus that Face actor was recast from the pilot anyways #TheATeam rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

bubblypop wrote: »
    WTF is a back channel??

Not much wonder I got nowhere!

A way of communicating.

God I was so green. I knew there were back channels, just couldn't find them on the phone!
    And I didn't really use my diary room. Hangover from not watching bb :(

Were you not in wrestlemaniac or Kolido's alliances, I thought you were named in one of those on my invites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What's FG, Fine Gael :P I am a tad upset Aaron that I was a replacement but I recently discovered from LeVar tv walrus that Face actor was recast from the pilot anyways #TheATeam rocks

FG = Forum Games :)

Plus, you were our first-choice for a replacement, if that's any consolation. It was Ace's loss :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loved the game but I had no idea how to win so I was just amusing myself. A fascinating concept brilliantly moderated by 3 obviously hard working mods. Theres so much scope for these games from a mods POV.

From a players POV there is a hell of a lot less pressure than werewolf. You can easily follow the game as you and its ok to miss things.

I hope this is an annual event. Its will make it really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Having caught up on the BRs, some brilliant reads. I didn't think there were so many large alliances and the little bits of back stabbing is part of the game and seemed to be in good spirit.

The game itself was brilliantly design. I had my reservations on how a game like this could be run here but the 3 guys did an awesome job and whats looks like a massive ammount of work involved.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Were you not in wrestlemaniac or Kolido's alliances, I thought you were named in one of those on my invites

No. What invites. See I didn't really visit my diary room much . I didn't know I was supposed to :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Ah ok - you were invited to Wrestlemaniac's discord group with aaronjennings, JP Liz, jluv and me. We targeted you for eviction because we thought you snubbed us :pac:

cee_jay wrote: »
    Ah ok - you were invited to Wrestlemaniac's discord group with aaronjennings, JP Liz, jluv and me. We targeted you for eviction because we thought you snubbed us :pac:

How did you invite me ??

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »

From a players POV there is a hell of a lot less pressure than werewolf. You can easily follow the game as you and its ok to miss things.

At times, I definitely felt more pressure than werewolf - it was up there for me as a roled villager/wolf with the pressure. But that was probably down to all the different alliances, and trying to keep everyone happy in those, stay on top of the challenges (if I am given a task, I have to do it, and I really, really hate losing), post on the main thread, post in the diary room because the mods requested it, etc. If I were playing again, I would probably do it all the same way again though!
    I am amazed as to how the mods kept on top of it all tbh. Looking at the game setup room, that was a major undertaking - seriously impressive.

At times, I definitely felt more pressure than werewolf - it was up there for me as a roled villager/wolf with the pressure. But that was probably down to all the different alliances, and trying to keep everyone happy in those, stay on top of the challenges (if I am given a task, I have to do it, and I really, really hate losing), post on the main thread, post in the diary room because the mods requested it, etc. If I were playing again, I would probably do it all the same way again though!
    I am amazed as to how the mods kept on top of it all tbh. Looking at the game setup room, that was a major undertaking - seriously impressive.

I'll admit, I was so suspicious of you in WM's group. I was convinced you were snitching on absolutely everything we did, and may have gone in a bit tougher on you than I should done have as a result :)

How did you invite me ??

It was posted in your Diary Room :)

FG = Forum Games :)

Plus, you were our first-choice for a replacement, if that's any consolation. It was Ace's loss :D

I am grateful I was invited to alliances as I wouldn't have started one myself

It was posted in your Diary Room :)

Ah shig. I just checked and yes !! I completely missed it. . That bit of the site is a head wreck on the phone, and no reading glasses. Damn damn and bloody damn

I'll admit, I was so suspicious of you in WM's group. I was convinced you were snitching on absolutely everything we did, and may have gone in a bit tougher on you than I should done have as a result :)

I was so annoyed, you calling me out for being in another group, and obviously in another group yourself! But I am quite stubborn, as Liz has found out during this and Fr Ted WW, and would not give you the pleasure of admitting to it :D

Ah shig. I just checked and yes !! I completely missed it. . That bit of the site is a head wreck on the phone, and no reading glasses. Damn damn and bloody damn

Oh no! You could've been in an alliance.

You coulda been a contender. You could've been somebody!!

I was so annoyed, you calling me out for being in another group, and obviously in another group yourself! But I am quite stubborn, as Liz has found out during this and Fr Ted WW, and would not give you the pleasure of admitting to it :D

Yes you are damn stubborn, never give in, great player btw

I did feel at times I was playing Werewolf :p

Oh no! You could've been in an alliance.

You coulda been a contender. You could've been somebody!!

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Congrats Kolly - Great win :D

Much like my normal big brother watching, I watched it early on and then I lost interest and then I randomly stumbled across the after party.

Note to self, next time I'm invited to an alliance, dont accept. they'll let you do all the hard work with the quizzes and then they'll turn on ya lol :D

Thanks to the mods for running a brilliant game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Now a week has gone by what did people like about the game? Anything you thought could have been done better?

Any and all feedback welcomed.

Personally for me this was a real 'bucket list' type of game ticked. The best of Forum Games all wrapped up in a little bow.

I thought the Diary Rooms were great, a lot of people really embraced the concept early on and gave us some great posts in the backrooms.

The alliances were interesting, I know there was a feeling it might have detracted from the game thread but I think it balanced out quite well all in all.

The mass elimination early on is a bit of a regret, but we did have to keep in mind the plans to finish within a week and with 31 people it went from very difficult to keep on top of from a mod perspective to a little bit easier with that decision. Mind you I think I might do it on a different day going forward, possibly a Tuesday to give people who might not be as active at the weekend a chance to get into it a bit more.

I'd love to see another game happen at some point, wouldn't mind playing it though next time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

As I mentioned in the Jury Room, I pretty much stopped following the Main House after the first couple of days as there was little happening and it was all a bit too dull for me.

I was hoping for more traditional Werewolf play where there'd be more activity and play on thread rather than in the backrooms. I think that's just the nature of the game though and not sure there's much can be done to change it going forward.

I'd give it ago again just to see if I feel differently by lasting longer in the Main House.

I thought ye did a brilliant job organising and running it. Lots of moving parts in so many places to keep track of. I certainly couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

My head is still melted from it anyway... :D

If there was another one, I'd definitely want to be playing it to see what things are like on the other end...

Its hard to tell if it'd be better to spread the game out over a longer period (maybe 2 weeks) and have a few down days in the middle to take some of the pressure off mods and give players a chance to regroup and have a little breathing space to figure things out... or if its better to go for broke and have it all wrapped within a week and have more Mods overseeing things...

I agree that the Main Thread got sidelined as the week went on, and some of that is just the nature of the game, but if there was more Mods or we just had more time to play around a bit, there is scope to keep the main-thread active through secret tasks (or challenges designed to expose alliances and bring more of that side of things into the public forum).

For a first outing of a new game, I think it went as well as it probably could, but definitely room and scope for tweaks and changes to make it run smoother/better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

A great game, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I admit the thirty questions, as an initial task almost made me leave.
    Other than that, it had great twists and turns along the way, the vetos, the challenges for individuals, the voting for the hoh, and so forth. It was all very well set up. Must have been a massive amount of work, but I guess the template is there now if it was to be run again.

I think running it over a longer period might detract from it and cause participants to lose interest, but I can see that it was fairly high pressure for the three Big Boardsers to keep it all going, in just a week.

Brilliant idea also to have so much going on outside the house, the jury involvement, which those left inside could only guess about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

As LeVar said, the scope is definitely there to enable more to be done on the Main thread. Something like min post limits etc. But saying that, the numbers don't exactly say that the thread was quiet as such, there was 3000+ posts and that matches or near matches most Werewolf games, which are player predominantly on the main thread.

It does need more Mods though, even if it was prolonged, the sheer amount of work really is just too much for 3 mods.

I loved the concepts of secret Alliances on discord. It allowed the chat to flow in there with now real delay like their would be on a forum, which made scheming and backstabbing so much easier.
    I admit the thirty questions, as an initial task almost made me leave.

I agree. With the benefit of hindsight I think we should have limited it to maybe 15 or so. But sure look, it worked at the time. The majority of players got their answers in and we went from there.

I don't think I'm cut out for the big brother house but I'd definitely help mod next time around, so keep me in mind for that if you'd like. I think watching everything unfold behind the scenes could be very interesting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Trigger wrote: »
    I agree. With the benefit of hindsight I think we should have limited it to maybe 15 or so. But sure look, it worked at the time. The majority of players got their answers in and we went from there.

Not intended as a major criticism btw.

Just my personal reaction, fwiw.

:(:(:(

I though the house reopened as cj maxx still inside :p with thread activity

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

BuileBeag wrote:
    I don't think I'm cut out for the big brother house but I'd definitely help mod next time around, so keep me in mind for that if you'd like. I think watching everything unfold behind the scenes could be very interesting.

I thought you were great tbh Buile :D

Modding is fun though, definitely worth a go at some point, getting to see all the moving parts working at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yea, personally I wasn't cut out for the time commitment required for it but fair play to the mods and to the participants because I can tell it was a lot of hard work and from feedback here lookslike you all enjoyed it.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement