Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Styrofoam disposal

Options
  • 26-03-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I have a load of Styrofoam that I need to get rid of. Does anyone know where I can dispose of it. I've looked on the Granny recycling site and it only says plastic packaging. Don't know if this comes under it or not.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If it came from a retailer then they have to accept the packaging back for recycling. Otherwise it’s black bin. None of the recycling centres accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

It was furniture in big cardboard boxes which is lined with tones of this stuff. Can't see the shop being willing to take it back. It will take months to get rid of It in the black bin that's full as it is going out.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

yogibear77 wrote: »
    It was furniture in big cardboard boxes which is lined with tones of this stuff. Can't see the shop being willing to take it back. It will take months to get rid of It in the black bin that's full as it is going out.

Thanks for your help

They are legally obliged to take it back.

Oh! I didn't know that. Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say......fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I saw a van around waterford a few days ago with information on it that they collected waste polystyrene. Can't be any more help but it is done apparently.

Edit - could have been these: http://www.rehabrecycle.ie/recycling-services/paper-occ-eps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Oh! I didn't know that. Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say......fingers crossed

yes they must and they will also have a way of recycling it - very few places recycle styrofoam and its a pain in the backside to recycle and the value of the recycled brick it becoms is very small.

I contacted friends of the earth and they take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

*Drags thread from the dark depths of Boards*

I just wanted to backup what's being said here; I purchased a TV from Powercity in January and was trying to decide what I could do about the StyroFoam when clearing out the shed last weekend. I called them earlier and they just asked me to bring my receipt and took it without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

If you have an open fire in your gaff could you not just break it into suitable sizes and let the fire deal with it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    If you have an open fire in your gaff could you not just break it into suitable sizes and let the fire deal with it...:)

The cardboard and I'll be shot down for even saying maybe but not the plastic.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Nobody should take this advise

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Or fling it all into a Dunnes shopping trolley and fcuk it into the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Powercity (the one in Coolock at least) take it in the large WEEE trolley. No need to prove purchase, just drop it in and go.

would be interesting to follow the path/ultimate location of the material in these WEEE trollies ….I’d hazard a guess that it ends up in a landfill or is incinerated…..so why not just use a domestic incinerator ie open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Ridiculous comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Not before dousing in petrol and setting alight, obviously

I'd have thought it was a requirement to compact and recycle, a centralised location per region with local/regional bring centres recycling, seems to make sense. Appalled but not surprised this isnt set up. You could nearly re-use the stuff for insulation in a shed/garage, and even the compacted stuff (which i've only seen once) looks like it could be reused without any/much re-processing as an insulation board, possibly might need some kind of a binder to keep the compacted polystyrene together.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Diesel or petrol... whichever is better for the environment.

Im not surprised someone might suggest burning in an open fire,cant be good for the occupants, neighbours, possibly good for chimney fires and cancer though

Hardly that harmful or cancer causing if it’s only burned once in blue moon…the majority of fumes/particulate matter goes straight up the chimney….?

I'm not sure how you know its hardly that harmful? If something is carcinogenic, its likely to be possible with one exposure, which is what I've heard regarding cigarette smoke, I consider burning of plastics to be a significantly higher risk, I'd rather not take the risk. Even if you are ok to breathe in the fumes, for it to be sent up and out the chimney for others to breathe in??

Where I used to live, at least a few neighbours, burned what was clearly plastics, the fumes from that, especially in certain weather conditions, just goes up and then comes back down and were sickening. I had to block up vents to minimise it. All because they couldnt be arsed to just recycle, which with a bit of effort, the majority of what needs to be disposed of, can be disposed of cheaply and easily. If styrofoam has no purpose to be re-used, at least if binned and disposed of correctly (or get the retailer to take it). harmful byproducts aren't being released into the air other people are breathing

Burning plastics at low temperatures creates dioxins, that enter the home where it is burned and those surrounding. The information is available that burning plastic and synthetic waste domestically at low temperatures has potentially serious side effects. Although appropriately disposing of it would be the best, It would be better to landfill or incinerate it than do what you are suggesting.

I find it difficult to believe you are actually serious about this, because it sounds like a wind up, maybe just looking to wind people up for the laugh?? Santa won't like going down your chimney.

https://www.worldcentric.com/polystyrene/

"Incinerating polystyrene for energy can release emissions containing more than 90 different compounds, including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which may cause birth defects. When burned at lower temperatures typical of a campfire or a household fireplace, polystyrene can also produce PAHs, as well as carcinogenic styrene monomers and deadly carbon monoxide. Reducing our use of products made from polystyrene will reduce health risks and environmental risks posed by this toxic polymer, of which there are many."

https://www.northcofire.com/7-items-you-should-never-burn-in-your-gas-fireplace/

"When burned, it releases a toxic gas that can affect your nervous system. Additionally, the black carbon residue left behind by burning Styrofoam can irritate your eyes and throat. Burning Styrofoam often can affect your air quality and cause respiratory problems, as well as lung scarring and reduced lung capacity."

Thats just a few links, from a quick web search, it's not like the information isn't available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This link says it's illegal to burn any type of household waste.

So even if you were prepared to take a chance on inhaling toxic gases you still shouldn't burn styrofoam.

For me, I'd be less concerned if it is illegal or not, not that is or isn't an issue. But, it is a fairly well known and understood fact ( at least I thought so) that most things burned at low temperatures burn inefficiently and especially for synthetic materials, it's highly likely it produces harmful byproducts, that information is readily available. Burning plastics or anything synthetic is likely to produce compounds of its own material, styrofoam, produces/releases toxic styrene gas (I didn't know that specifically until looking it up which is a toxin), it also contains other chemicals like CFCs and can produce or release other dangerous compounds harmful to the body. A quick web search highlights the hazards, some of which I never knew about regarding this material specifically.

Even if anyone isn't concerned or think there is no hazard or risk to anyone else if the smoke goes up and out their chimney, they should at least have concern for their own health or anyone who lives with them. As I said previously, I'd rather landfill some things than just burn them, although I think the preference should be to reduce and recycle/re-use where possible. In my opinion Styrofoam is so widespread, it preferably needs to be replaced with compostable or bio-degradeable alternatives for packaging and there it should be options to recycle it. Every council should have a plan for returning, recycling and disposing of a variety of materials,

Advertisement