Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭clohamon

Pique wrote: »
    I thought that was a mistake till I looked at premises in Roscommon Town. Even worse than I thought. Well done Eir :rolleyes:
    example

I get your point but I was wondering if they'd confused the Roscommon OLT area (3,591) with Roscommon Town.

...and then there's the weird stuff about licences and E-net.
    Once the build in Roscommon is finished, the plan will then move to Castlerea, and E-net as well as Eir have also applied for licences to offer services to customers as part of the plan which is set to cost an estimated €75 million locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

My house is not in the intervention area, after months of emails to NBI they said that my house will now be included, so i checked the NBI site with my Eircode today and its still not included. I emailed NBI and the reply i got was the maps will be updated by the end of this month and my house should be in amber.

Does this work?

We are in a large estate in Skerries. All the one off houses on the coast in front of us (some literally 10 metres from our estate) are marked for intervention whereas all us peasants in the estate behind aren’t. We get to keep on godawful copper while our tax money subsidises fibre for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

quad_red wrote: »
    Does this work?

We are in a large estate in Skerries. All the one off houses on the coast in front of us (some literally 10 metres from our estate) are marked for intervention whereas all us peasants in the estate behind aren’t. We get to keep on godawful copper while our tax money subsidises fibre for them?

If you are below 30 Mb/sec down and 5 up, you can contact them and request to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Does this work?

First put your eircode into this https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

If you can get Part Fibre (Fibre to the cabinet aka VDSL) and your speeds are < 30Mb you wont be included. Or if for some reason you are eligible for FTTH then you are already sorted.

Keep in mind the majority of us in here experience speeds of 1Mb - 12Mb. Those just on the threshold of ~28Mb/30Mb seem to get added when they contact.

Go to www.nbi.ie and put your eircode in there.

If it comes up as "Not in Intervention Area" then click the find out more button. You'll see the following paragraph on what you need to do.
    Please contact us at Broadband@decc.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get high speed broadband from the providers in your area. It would be helpful if you could advise the department of any operators you may have contacted

They might not reply straight away but its likely an oversight if you cant get anything above 30Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Does this work?

Your estate may be connected to a cab and they may be direct to exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

I contacted the NBI with my eircode to get an approximate time frame of when fibre broadband will be available in my (very rural) area where connectivity is basically non-existant.

They said it's in progress ATM and should be up and running by Jan - March 2022, just wondering how accurate are these predictions?

Are they going ahead to schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

They were digging up down the road today near Rochestown to lay pipes down and hit the water pipe so now we’ve no water :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

I'm not sure if im looking in the right places but I found the area I'm included in: https://nbi.ie/hollyfort-townlands/

Is there any indication on any nbi info about this? I've been looking but can't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They were digging up down the road today near Rochestown to lay pipes down and hit the water pipe so now we’ve no water :(
    Whereabouts in rochestown?

Whereabouts in rochestown?

They were laying it at the side of the road by the water tower in Rathanker.

• Advertisement

They were laying it at the side of the road by the water tower in Rathanker.
    I'm by the college and still have water last time i checked, strange

I'm by the college and still have water last time i checked, strange

I just passed by again but now there’s another burst pipe with water flying up into the air on the bad bend before Judge’s boreen on the college side. Also piles of earth all over one side of the road by the water tower, hopefully we’ll have the water back tonight at some stage but looks like they’ll be kept busy!

I just passed by again but now there’s another burst pipe with water flying up into the air on the bad bend before Judge’s boreen on the college side. Also piles of earth all over one side of the road by the water tower, hopefully we’ll have the water back tonight at some stage but looks like they’ll be kept busy!
    Christ thats shocking, didn’t notice anything myself when i went down the monastery about 30 mins ago, thank god we’re not affected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

GavoTrav wrote: »
    I'm not sure if im looking in the right places but I found the area I'm included in: https://nbi.ie/hollyfort-townlands/

Is there any indication on any nbi info about this? I've been looking but can't see.

No mention of that OLT here https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/ and if you pop in your eircode I assume it says "Premises Pending Survey" ?

If so and its just me assuming, you are likely to be ~2024 at the earliest considering they have already listed townlands up to December 2023.

Actual information for those still in Premises Pending Survey is non existent so keep an eye on here is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

joe123 wrote: »
    No mention of that OLT here https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/ and if you pop in your eircode I assume it says "Premises Pending Survey" ?

If so and its just me assuming, you are likely to be ~2024 at the earliest considering they have already listed townlands up to December 2023.

Actual information for those still in Premises Pending Survey is non existent so keep an eye on here is probably your best bet.

Yeah I thought the same. Only hope now is when they said they try would speed up the roll out for later years I suppose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

nQvDoGZ.jpg

The NBI guys were working on the pole outside my house today. I'm not sure exactly what they were doing but it looks like they cleared out the area around the duct and left some cable on the pole. We are down to be connected between July and September but the engineers said it should be 6 to 8 weeks. I can see them gradually working their way out from town with the fibre coming in our direction.

xxyyzz wrote: »

The NBI guys were working on the pole outside my house today. I'm not sure exactly what they were doing but it looks like they cleared out the area around the duct and left some cable on the pole. We are down to be connected between July and September but the engineers said it should be 6 to 8 weeks. I can see them gradually working their way out from town with the fibre coming in our direction.
    They did that recently here too and installed the DPs where the rolls of cable were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

There is an underground section between that pole and the next one. The coil of cable goes through the underground duct and will join with the overhead cable. It is the duct for the fibre to run through. 6-8 weeks is a bit ambitious when I look back to when we were at that stage. We are about 2 months ahead of you with maybe another two months before we are ready to connect.

db wrote: »
    There is an underground section between that pole and the next one. The coil of cable goes through the underground duct and will join with the overhead cable. It is the duct for the fibre to run through. 6-8 weeks is a bit ambitious when I look back to when we were at that stage. We are about 2 months ahead of you with maybe another two months before we are ready to connect.

That's actually the last pole on our road. We are in a group of 4 houses so wherever that cable is going, it comes in and is split between the 4 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Question for folks here - with NBI's access to eircom's pole infrastructure, in case of damage (broken line etc), who will carry out repairs? Will multiple teams have to coordinate and will it end up taking longer to get fixes carried out?

Asking as we've seen lines being cut (both accidentally & otherwise) in our area over the past 12-18 months. Eircom are usually quite fast so was wondering how it would change when multiple providers are using the same poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

What will happen if you build a new house in an already deployed invention area. Will install still cost the same? How long should it take to get access etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cregmon wrote: »
    Question for folks here - with NBI's access to eircom's pole infrastructure, in case of damage (broken line etc), who will carry out repairs? Will multiple teams have to coordinate and will it end up taking longer to get fixes carried out?

Asking as we've seen lines being cut (both accidentally & otherwise) in our area over the past 12-18 months. Eircom are usually quite fast so was wondering how it would change when multiple providers are using the same poles.

OpenEir will still be responsible for making things safe. Once that's done assuming two spans were cut both sides would send out their cabling teams as they see fit. I doubt either side will end up splicing for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

nQvDoGZ.jpg

Would you mind saying where abouts roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does this work?

Do they not pay taxes too though ? ....

Would you mind saying where abouts roughly?

Yeah, it's just outside Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.clareecho.ie/east-clare-to-benefit-first-from-national-broadband-plan/
    NBI “are very close” commencing the roll-out of the National Broadband Plan (NBP), Head of Information Systems Broadband and Digital with Clare County Council, Urban McMahon stated. Details on the first locations are expected to be known in the coming days but are tipped to all be in East Clare.
    An immediate start is proposed once the townlands are known for East Clare, he stated. “Limited success” has been noted with expanding individual cases just outside broadband networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Just checked my Eircode on gov.ie and NBI, i am now included in the intervention area after months and months of emails to NBI. Its showing the whole estate is getting included now where before only a few houses were getting it. Only problem now is they are saying pending a survey, well NBI already did a survey last August?

My house has changed and been brought forward again. We went from Dec 20-Feb 21 to Dec 21-May 22 and then to Nov 21-Feb 22 and now to March 21-June 21. I’ve also just gotten Eir 4G broadband for the year as I thought we’d be waiting ages. I don’t trust the dates at all as they’ve changed four times since November. I’ll be happy if we do get fibre in the new time frame but I’ve been in contact with NBI so many times in the past few weeks trying to get a straight answer out of them as to what deployment area we were in or had been moved to and why the dates keep changing I was just told that the map was the best indicator of a timeframe and now I’m stuck in a contract with Eir for a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Tony H

build in progress here in Ringacoltig (outside of Cobh) November 2021 - January 2022 ,they were pulling fibre a few weeks ago so hopefully by Christmas , looking forward to not having two phones going on different networks just to get online , they also seem to be ahead of schedule according to one of the charts posted here a few pages back .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My house has changed and been brought forward again. We went from Dec 20-Feb 21 to Dec 21-May 22 and then to Nov 21-Feb 22 and now to March 21-June 21. I’ve also just gotten Eir 4G broadband for the year as I thought we’d be waiting ages. I don’t trust the dates at all as they’ve changed four times since November. I’ll be happy if we do get fibre in the new time frame but I’ve been in contact with NBI so many times in the past few weeks trying to get a straight answer out of them as to what deployment area we were in or had been moved to and why the dates keep changing I was just told that the map was the best indicator of a timeframe and now I’m stuck in a contract with Eir for a year!

Id take that off your hands in a heart beat. I'd even suffer buying out the eir contract if I had those sort of time scales available. But all things considered our location appears to be in the very last set of installations which judging on progress etc will most likely be into the 2024 time scales.

So I do smile when I see folks agonising over a few months.

Advertisement