Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgian like Irish brewed beers

• 05-03-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

I like Belgian beer, especially the dark ones like Chimay blue, Westmalle Trappist Dubbel...etc

They cost too much and I'd prefer to support Irish brewers. Even if the costs are similar at least I'd be supporting our own.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Irish brews I should be trying that are similar in taste and quality to the Belgian beers?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Mescal brewery in Westport do a decent mix of Belgian styles.

I’d picked them up locally but also noticed that O’Brien’s off licence chains do them also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

De Bhál wrote: »
    I like Belgian beer, especially the dark ones like Chimay blue, Westmalle Trappist Dubbel...etc

They cost too much and I'd prefer to support Irish brewers. Even if the costs are similar at least I'd be supporting our own.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Irish brews I should be trying that are similar in taste and quality to the Belgian beers?

Thanks

Mescan in Mayo brew lots of Belgian style, also check out White Gypsy in Tipp

https://www.mescanbrewery.com/
    https://whitegypsy.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah mescan are the ones to look for

also, Whiplash recently did a belgian beer you might find in some off licences still

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

also, Whiplash recently did a belgian beer you might find in some off licences still

Yep, a dubbel. Saw a good few of them in Molloy's Clonsilla earlier, if that's anywhere near to you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Gileadi wrote: »
    Mescal brewery in Westport do a decent mix of Belgian styles.

I’d picked them up locally but also noticed that O’Brien’s off licence chains do them also

Yep as others corrected, mescan is the name, not mescal.

Great stuff though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Thanks all.
    Clonsilla not close to me , thanks anyway.
    Dublin Northside based and Martin's of fairview and o briens in Glasnevin within my 5k so I'm sure they'll stock one of those suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,384 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks all.
    Dublin Northside based and Martin's of fairview and o briens in Glasnevin within my 5k so I'm sure they'll stock one of those suggested.

I had picked up Mescan in Martins before.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Thanks all.

Mescan will deliver.

The tripel is my favourite Irish beer. Really like the extra and special reserve to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yeah mescan are the ones to look for

I found the Whiplash a bit underwhelming TBH, under carbed and no where near as good as Westmeille

I found the Whiplash a bit underwhelming TBH, under carbed and no where near as good as Westmeille

Yeah I had the same experience tbh.

No harm though, Whiplash are generally good to excellent so for their first foray into Belgian it wasn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Yeah I had the same experience tbh.

No harm though, Whiplash are generally good to excellent so for their first foray into Belgian it wasn't bad.

They've dipped their toes in loosely Belgian styles a bit over the years, they've put a quad out in the past and a couple of Belgian style pales (the most recent Belgian pale being particularly nice I thought) but definitely not their strongest area so far. Still think their dark beers are where they excel despite their own hop-heavy leanings when it comes to what they put out.

Mescan are the standard bearer for Irish-made Belgian style beers for me. Might be their use of those Belgian shape bottles influencing me somewhat as well :D

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Still think their dark beers are where they excel despite their own hop-heavy leanings when it comes to what they put out.

I agree with this 100%, the recent maple brown was amazing

Ok, on advice gained here, made a trip too O'Brien's offie in Glasnevin earlier this evening. Grabbed a shopping basket and headed east.

Found the Mescan in a prominent position in the Belgian beer area. Bought 2 bottles of each different variety they had.

Had two of the Mescan Extra watching some football.
    This is quality beer. Tastes as good as any Belgian, is unfortunately just as pricey and goes down far too easy.
    Had a look and if they (Mescan) deliver I may save over a euro per bottle...(had two 9% beers down checking that so might be wrong)

Anyway, thanks all.

Mescan will deliver.

The tripel is my favourite Irish beer. Really like the extra and special reserve to.

Thanks fpr the reccomendation, tried a couple of the Mescan Tripels last night - beautiful beer with a kick.

4.40 a 33cl bottle in O'Briens is very expensive though, pricer than an actual Belgian of similar standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Have you tried Lineman based near Citywest? I've tried a few of their beers and they're really top quality. They are on Twitter and sell in various off-licenses around the place too.

https://lineman.ie/
    https://twitter.com/LINEMANbeer

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Have you tried Lineman based near Citywest? I've tried a few of their beers and they're really top quality. They are on Twitter and sell in various off-licenses around the place too.

https://lineman.ie/
    https://twitter.com/LINEMANbeer

thanks, I'll have a look. I don't like the taste of IPA beers though, but will try one of the dark ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Had a Wide Street Brewing Belgian Stout called Monksland that was delicious. Definitely had the Belgian character to it.

Advertisement