Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV - Saorview & Freesat help please

• 04-03-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Samsung smart tv (ue40d7000) and recently cancelled sky. I have connected the feed from the satellite and the saorview aerial to the relevant connections at the back of the tv.
    When I go to tune everything in though I can only have one or the other but not both. Am I doing something wrong?
    I have an lg in the other room and can freely change between saorview and freesat with both tuned in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Posh Boy wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Samsung smart tv (ue40d7000) and recently cancelled sky. I have connected the feed from the satellite and the saorview aerial to the relevant connections at the back of the tv.
    When I go to tune everything in though I can only have one or the other but not both. Am I doing something wrong?
    I have an lg in the other room and can freely change between saorview and freesat with both tuned in.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can have both
    You might have to tune them in separately

There's an "active aerial" setting in the Broadcasting menu which should be something like Freesat/Terrestrial /FTA/Cable

Set up Terrestrial and Freesat separately via Broadcasting menu (it might be called Network). You may have to set country to GB.

Once they are tuned you can then switch between them via the channel list. A bit cumbersome alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Posh Boy

Thanks, I did that but hit a problem. I had to reset the tv from scratch. I chose the country as UK and Freesat was an option to tune in. Did that no problem, but when I go to scan for terrestrial digital (saorview) I have to change the country to Ireland. As soon as I do this I lose Freesat as an option and cannot view it. Total pain in the proverbials.

Seems with this TV, I can have Saorview and Freeview but not Saorview and Freesat.

Thanks, I did that but hit a problem. I had to reset the tv from scratch. I chose the country as UK and Freesat was an option to tune in. Did that no problem, but when I go to scan for terrestrial digital (saorview) I have to change the country to Ireland. As soon as I do this I lose Freesat as an option and cannot view it. Total pain in the proverbials.

Seems with this TV, I can have Saorview and Freeview but not Saorview and Freesat.

You can scan it as UK you'll still get the Irish channels. Saorview and Freeview HD are very similar technically. I am 99% sure this is the Samsung model range I've set up previously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Might be no harm to get a TV installer out just to check everything is working right.
    I have a Samsung 55 inch TV that has Saorview and Freesat installed.

To switch between the 2, it's as easy pressing ch list.. going down the options and switching between Terrestrial and Satellite

Thanks, picked them up alright now, although I also got loads of blank channels with them. On the channel list now the Irish ones are showing up with channel numbers in the 800 - 900 region. I can't see a way to change this. When I scanned with country set to Ireland they were 1, 2, 3 etc. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Thanks, picked them up alright now, although I also got loads of blank channels with them. On the channel list now the Irish ones are showing up with channel numbers in the 800 - 900 region. I can't see a way to change this. When I scanned with country set to Ireland they were 1, 2, 3 etc. Any ideas?

There is a way to renumber them but I didn't bother, just deleted the extra channels and the ones that show repeats of The Voice UK and Dancing On Ice

Thanks, I can't see how to delete the channels either but I'll keep digging and I'm sure I'll find it. Thanks for the help, it's good to have someone else's experiences to help me from going insane

Edit: Found it!! Now have only the channels I want and all with the numbers I want.......... it's the simple things .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I did this full reset on my Samsung smart tv (ue55d7400) . selected UK and added postcode to get freesat . by doing full reset (even apps were erased except samsung bloatware) and selecting UK I was expecting to be able to access UK apps but no, still no iPlayer, ITV... instead still seeing RTE Player.

Is it possible to really reset TV to UK? So we can get UK apps?

As far as I know the iPlayer and ITV player are geo blocked so even though you select UK as the country the player uses your IP address which shows as Ireland and then blocks you.

Not sure if VPN can be used on the tv to get around this.

As far as I know the iPlayer and ITV player are geo blocked so even though you select UK as the country the player uses your IP address which shows as Ireland and then blocks you.

Not sure if VPN can be used on the tv to get around this.

All4 works, ITV and BBC players don't as they're geo blocked

Not sure if we are allowed discuss VPN aka circumventing regional restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

I did this full reset on my Samsung smart tv (ue55d7400) . selected UK and added postcode to get freesat . by doing full reset (even apps were erased except samsung bloatware) and selecting UK I was expecting to be able to access UK apps but no, still no iPlayer, ITV... instead still seeing RTE Player.

Is it possible to really reset TV to UK? So we can get UK apps?

Even if you download the UK apps you will not be able to access them in normal circumstance, as has been said they are geo blocked. ITV hub did unlock for a time last year at the start of the lockdown, but shut down fairly soon after, VM may have had issues with ITV being in their revenue pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Thank you all for your responses. appreciated. I think what is happening is even with UK set as default and Samsung account set to UK it still is reading IP address from local ISP.
    It was only something I was tinkering with , not a big deal as I have all the UK services via firestick

Advertisement