Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eight injured in "terrorist" stabbing attack Sweden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It's almost like religion is bad.

I somewhat agree. I think religion can be used an excuse by people who want to do bad things. They want to justify themselves by misunderstanding particular parts of the scripture. Both the bible and qur’an need to be understood in their totality. People often pick particular lines in it and use them as a way to justify violence without reading what is written before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

Suppose that’s what happens when you let in people that hate your country and everything it stands for. Feel for the injured. Hope they pull through

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Its such a shame to see Sweden go the way it has.

That's the thing, it can't be undone. Even if they put in the most strict policies there is no going back.

What has happened to Sweden is what happens when a liberal media had complete control and no dissent was tolerated. They pursued and promoted a crazy immigration policy (easy to say with hindsight in fairness).

If you spoke out 20 years a go you were disappeared basically. You'd lose your employment wherever it was. There are so many documentaries about those who tried to speak out and ended up in a bad way.

I look at this country and I ask - what's different?

We are on the exact same journey they were 20, 25 years a go. There is no difference. You could say our media is not quite as slanted but that's it.

That's why I asked earlier - why won't this happen here?

I think it's a good question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

That's the thing, it can't be undone. Even if they put in the most strict policies there is no going back.

What has happened to Sweden is what happens when a liberal media had complete control and no dissent was tolerated. They pursued and promoted a crazy immigration policy (easy to say with hindsight in fairness).

If you spoke out 20 years a go you were disappeared basically. You'd lose your employment wherever it was. There are so many documentaries about those who tried to speak out and ended up in a bad way.

I look at this country and I ask - what's different?

We are on the exact same journey they were 20, 25 years a go. There is no difference. You could say our media is not quite as slanted but that's it.

That's why I asked earlier - why won't this happen here?

I think it's a good question.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theliberal.ie/swedish-detective-speaks-out-about-suppression-of-information-surrounding-migrant-crime-wave/amp/

And what happened him...

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/6626054

And OK lookey there's ol Jerzy Sarnecki on clean up duty again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

poisonated wrote: »
    A lot of islamophobic sentiment on here tonight. Don’t forget that IRA is predominantly Catholic.

You do know that the Irish Republican Army was an army built to gain nationhood for the Irish people which had been denied due to the forces of colonialism for a millenium and regained prominence in the 60s due to murderous response to a peaceful protest in Derry city for civil rights which in effect started a war.

How can you even compare the two and then falsely suggest that catholicism was a driving force, it was an ethnic conflict if anything.

Anyway, We all know which kind of nation these Islamic lads want to build...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq#Goals

• Advertisement

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You do know that the Irish Republican Army was an army built to gain nationhood for the Irish people which had been denied due to the forces of colonialism for a millenium and regained prominence in the 60s due to murderous response to a peaceful protest in Derry city for civil rights which in effect started a war.

How can you even compare the two and then falsely suggest that catholicism was a driving force, it was an ethnic conflict if anything.

Anyway, We all know which kind of nation these Islamic lads want to build...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq#Goals

They’re terrorists. Plain and simple.

Isabel.p wrote: »
    Not defending Islam
    But they are right about a few things like women and Jews

Thats fairly offensive.....Maybe get the first plane out to Saudi Arabia so?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

biko wrote: »
    3 attacked has life threatening injuries, 2 attacked seriously injured, 2 moderately injured and 1 with minor injuries.
    All currently under medical care at local hospital.

All just out minding their own business, not knowing this would be the day an axe-man would try to kill them.
    Terrifying stuff.

Hope all recover speedy fully

They’re terrorists. Plain and simple.

So your logic is:

an Irish man who may have been baptised Catholic commited a morally ambiguous act in the defence of civil rights in his country once

equals:

All attacks on western nations by believers in a far right cult of death who hate western values and our very existance are warranted from here until eternity and Irish people have no right to complain

Give me strength:rolleyes:

John Doe1 wrote: »
    So your logic is:

an Irish man who may have been baptised Catholic commited a morally ambiguous act in the defence of civil rights in his country once

equals:

All attacks on western nations by believers in a far right cult of death who hate western values and our very existance are warranted from here until eternity and Irish people have no right to complain

Give me strength:rolleyes:

It’s not morally ambiguous. It was a disgusting act. The very fact that you think it is in any way morally ambiguous speaks volumes about you! I also never said Irish people have no right to complain. It was a disgusting act committed by the terrorist but to then imply that every Muslim is part of a “cult of death”, when in actuality is a peaceful religion is the reason why I’m now going to put you on my ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It’s not morally ambiguous. It was a disgusting act. The very fact that you think it is in any way morally ambiguous speaks volumes about you! I also never said Irish people have no right to complain. It was a disgusting act committed by the terrorist but to then imply that every Muslim is part of a “cult of death”, when in actuality is a peaceful religion is the reason why I’m now going to put you on my ignore list.

If that were truly the case the Middle East would be a bastion of peace, but it's the opposite. Where is this Islamic manifestation of peace then if it's such a peaceful religion? It's honestly amusing when people try and frame Islam as some hippy religion, driven by peace and love.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Muslims despise terrorists, even more so than others. Muslims have suffered at the hands of them more than anyone.

Pity they are not going out en masse then to protest about what is being done in the name of their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Muslims represent around 8% of the swedish population whereas in Ireland it's about 1.5%. Wait until that 1.5% gets to around 5% and we'll see if anything happens here. Plus, I suspect the demographics are very different, anecdotally that 1.5% in Ireland are predominantly not refugees. But I have no numbers to back that last anecdote up (hence it being an anecdote)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There is the issue that "what would Jesus do?" and "what would Mohammed do?" open up different vistas. Islam is a religion and a political philosophy and it aint one rooted in democracy and fluffy bunnies

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Hoping for speedy recoveries for the victims and for the people of Sweden, hopefully their social troubles can be quelled in the near future.
    These events aren't even a surprise anymore, part and parcel of living in the modern world. Thankfully we haven't had this visited upon us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A lot of islamophobic sentiment on here tonight. Don’t forget that IRA is predominantly Catholic.

You're right we shouldnt forget that the IRA is a now defunct nationalist paramiltary that was intent on ending British Rule in Ireland as opposed to global fundamentalist cult hellbent on taking over the world and dragging it back to the dark ages

Point well made there. Kudos to you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

More on the perp
    Police said the man, who they would not identify in line with Swedish policy, is known to them for petty crimes.
    The Expressen tabloid said the suspect was a 22-year-old man from Afghanistan.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/three-have-life-threatening-wounds-after-sweden-ax-attack/2021/03/04/3e0c2316-7cc7-11eb-8c5e-32e47b42b51b_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When did the policy come in re not naming suspects ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Four people were killed after falling through ice in Sweden last week.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/four-die-sweden-falling-ice-235410176.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah, people dying due to nature is the same as people being stabbed by a person welcomed into western society. You're getting very desperate, Andrew.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

• When did the policy come in re not naming suspects ?

100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I hope it wasn’t black ice or the lads on here will lose their minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Innocent people attacked and almost killed and Andrew just starts shouting "So what?? people die all the time!"
    Its not as much cynical as it is out right hateful.

biko wrote: »

https://samnytt.se/har-ar-tamim-sultani-som-misstanks-ha-huggit-ner-atta-personer-i-vetlanda/

"Tamim Sultani as he is called in the Swedish register came to Sweden in February 2016 according to information from the Swedish Migration Board as an unaccompanied minor. He has no family connections and is unmarried according to the Swedish Tax Agency. Thanks to the upper secondary school law that the government, led by the Center Party, has pushed through, he received a temporary residence permit in 2018 - which expired in November 2020. Sultani applied for a new permit - but no new decision has been made yet.

According to information from the Swedish Tax Agency, he was born in Kabul, Afghanistan on February 12, 1999. In his photos on Instagram and Facebook, however, he looks much older"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I am happy that everyone survived (so far).

I feel like Sweden are too far down the rabbit hole here in order to resolve this in a way that keeps everyone happy though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stick to the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭jmreire

Muslims despise terrorists, even more so than others. Muslims have suffered at the hands of them more than anyone.

Yes, thats true, but the people who are inflicting this violence on their fellow Muslims, would cheerfully inflict the same and worse on non-muslims, and especially Christians, if they could. The master plan isis had including marching on Rome and destroying the Vatican. And they have not gone away either..solo attacks like the latest one in Sweden is symptomatic of isis. And if they can mount much bigger attacks and destruction here in the west, they will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Seriously Andrew.

That's as bad as the ****e that that Peanut Allergy guy posted here years ago.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I am happy that everyone survived (so far).

I feel like Sweden are too far down the rabbit hole here in order to resolve this in a way that keeps everyone happy though.

They need strong leadership as do many other countries in Europe, this political correctness /wokeness that's marring the western world needs to end.

"Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Btw, I doubt very much this was a terror attack like 2017 truck attack by Uzbek Rakhmat Akilov or 2010 bomb attack by Iraqi Taimour Abdulwahab al-Abdaly.

This seems to be more like the voilent and angry but unpremeditated 2015 IKEA stabbing attack by Eritrean Abraham Ukbagabir who killed a mother and son because they looked Swedish.

Advertisement