Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Grueller wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1990-ford-8210-only-2265-hours/27215883

Who pays €36,000 inc VAT for a 31 year old 8210. Slow and unmanouverable and still only 115 horse power.

That's for a collector.
    No farmer could afford that or to be honest would want one in this day and age.
    Nothing wrong with them per say but they are 40 year old technology at this stage which is grand in a yard tractor or for very occasional use but not something you would be buying to spend long days on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

That's for a collector.
    No farmer could afford that or to be honest would want one in this day and age.
    Nothing wrong with them per say but they are 40 year old technology at this stage which is grand in a yard tractor or for very occasional use but not something you would be buying to spend long days on.

It’s not good value, but more because the 8210 wasn’t great to begin with. There is no reason why a farmer could not use a 40 year old tractor as a mainline machine once it’s well maintained.

My 22 year old TS115 has under 6k hours. It will reach 10k hours when it is 50 at the current rate... I can’t see anything it does much worse than a new tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1990-ford-8210-only-2265-hours/27215883

Who pays €36,000 inc VAT for a 31 year old 8210. Slow and unmanouverable and still only 115 horse power.

Well kept machine all the same though, it seems to me like people are taking a bit more care of older machines these days now that they realize how much value the have years later.

36k is a bit mad though, was never gone on this generation of ford's anyway, the design seems to have aged badly or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

endainoz wrote: »
    Well kept machine all the same though, it seems to me like people are taking a bit more care of older machines these days now that they realize how much value the have years later.

36k is a bit mad though, was never gone on this generation of ford's anyway, the design seems to have aged badly or something!

The description says "all original paint".

Wonder if they actually mean it was resprayed using ford paint. There's not even a bit of paint rubbed off the steps....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Looking at the hitch it's an import,the weights look Irish by the moss.

• Advertisement

Wonder if they actually mean it was resprayed using ford paint. There's not even a bit of paint rubbed off the steps....

Yeah noticed that, it looks fairly convincing all the same!

them wheels have been sprayed,back ones recently enough (marks of sockets,where tightened on)

Visible rust/pitting been sprayed over the mounting points for centres of front wheels

them wheels have been sprayed,back ones recently enough (marks of sockets,where tightened on)

Visible rust/pitting been sprayed over the mounting points for centres of front wheels

No flys on you lad! On closer inspection the mudguards are definitely new with the shine on them. Still a tidy machine all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Was the 8210 build on the same frame as the TW15? Just a bit lighter and less power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Was the 8210 build on the same frame as the TW15? Just a bit lighter and less power?

7810/8210/TW15 have the same 401 engine I think. 8210 and TW would be similar size but TW would have a heavier backend.

• Advertisement

No flys on you lad!

If they are,their paying rent :D
    On closer inspection the mudguards are definitely new with the shine on them. Still a tidy machine all the same.

I dont to seem knocking it...its a v.tidy machine tbf.....but the mounting points for centres are v.difficult to get right.....

i.remember getting wheels sand blasted before and using fibre-glass filler to get a good finish on em....slow,tedious work,i wouldnt wish it on me worst enenmy tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

timple23 wrote: »
    7810/8210/TW15 have the same 401 engine I think. 8210 and TW would be similar size but TW would have a heavier backend.

Ford were getting to be a bit of a joke at this stage. The 8210 back end was basically the same as a 5000 which first came out in 1965.

6 pot engine was a bit too powerful for the back end, heard of a couple where the pto stopped working. When it was split a socket had been welded on to the shaft coming off the flywheel and the tractor sold on. Still though the SQ cab wasn't the worst place you could spend a day in 1990.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

I don't think they were. The TW's were made in Antwerp, Belgium. They used the older crash gearbox and had the 401s engine. The 10's were made in Basildon. As far as I know, the 8210 had a much smaller displacement engine than the TW's. They were a sluggish tractor, many were turbo'd to try and get them to perform some way decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ford were getting to be a bit of a joke at this stage. The 8210 back end was basically the same as a 5000 which first came out in 1965.

6 pot engine was a bit too powerful for the back end, heard of a couple where the pto stopped working. When it was split a socket had been welded on to the shaft coming off the flywheel and the tractor sold on. Still though the SQ cab wasn't the worst place you could spend a day in 1990.

Lol.
    The old 8210. I had a couple back in the day that got more abuse than I’d dare to give any tractor since.
    After 2k hrs I’d one that went porous so we decided to fire a TW15 engine into it...then ended up winding it up to 160hp out the back. You could take off in top gear and spin all four on concrete. Beast.

( Did I mention that I’m a reformed cowboy...go to weekly meetings and all.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Lol.
    The old 8210. I had a couple back in the day that got more abuse than I’d dare to give any tractor since.
    After 2k hrs I’d one that went porous so we decided to fire a TW15 engine into it...then ended up winding it up to 160hp out the back. You could take off in top gear and spin all four on concrete. Beast.

Dont think too many here would believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭straight

Lol.

Was that a frosty concrete yard. Once a cowboy, always a cowboy. We just learn to hide it a bit better.

blue5000 wrote: »

From memory it was a 28mm three quarter drive impact socket used.Seen a few done and not a bother on them afterwards.Not a major job if you knew what you were doing.Only seen it done on 6610 and 7610 who had serious amount of pto work .

maidhc wrote: »
    It’s not good value, but more because the 8210 wasn’t great to begin with. There is no reason why a farmer could not use a 40 year old tractor as a mainline machine once it’s well maintained.

My 22 year old TS115 has under 6k hours. It will reach 10k hours when it is 50 at the current rate... I can’t see anything it does much worse than a new tractor.

Agree with that.Nothing wrong with a 40yr old tractor but who in their right mind would spend the sort of money he is looking for that 8210 to buy something as outdated as it is.
    Nothing wrong with an 8210 but 30k (plus vat) should surely get something slightly more modern with 40k box ,suspension , decent lift and turning circle.

Drove one for a while ,along with TWs ,Countys etc and whilst they were grand in their day unsure if I would spend all day in one now.They were a "big" tractor at the time but nowadays 115hp is loader tractor territory not frontline tillage machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

looking on done deal, quads are gone expensive too. sold my Suzuki.250.cc 2wd 2 years ago and they are asking 1000 more today.

looking on done deal, quads are gone expensive too. sold my Suzuki.250.cc 2wd 2 years ago and they are asking 1000 more today.

We bought a honda fourtrax 350 over 10 years ago for 2250. Has been a great quad. Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

straight wrote: »
    We bought a honda fourtrax 350 over 10 years ago for 2250. Has been a great quad. Fools and their money are easily parted.

is say it's still worth that...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

e49k for a 15 year old case, even if hours are genuine, these prices are crazy surely....

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-tractor-mxu-115-with-case-loader/27392066

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Gudstock wrote: »
    e49k for a 15 year old case, even if hours are genuine, these prices are crazy surely....

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-tractor-mxu-115-with-case-loader/27392066

It looks like it is out of a showroom. Either that's a new passenger seat or no big heavy farmer sat on it too long.

They were and are some tractor. Would be a heavier tractor than many modern 150hP tractors. It looks like a tractor that was well minded whether the hours are genuine you have to check.

49k may be a bit strong for it but if it is genuine 40k will not be out of the question. Take it you bought a straight one without a loader on it. If you bought that loader new to put on it you would not have much change out of 15k....if you got it for that

Slava Ukrainii

Some joke. 83k for a brand new case luxuum and loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    Some joke. 83k for a brand new case luxuum and loader.

New Holland T6.125s or Case Maxxum 115 are available at the same price as that luxxum with a quicke Q5m loader on board. They are a different beast of a tractor too in terms of weight, size and capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Grueller

Manual lift on it as well. A cock of a yoke to get height on the lift for say trying to get an agitator into a tank or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

55k would be about the price of her new at the time. Not including the loader

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

What are people's experiences with New Holland 6635 tractors? Look to be a good stockman's tractor with no electrics. Thinking of purchasing one I have my eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

Manual lift on it as well. A cock of a yoke to get height on the lift for say trying to get an agitator into a tank or the likes.

How does a having mechanical load sensing affect the height the arms raise to?

It seems to me that a new “heavy” 120 hp tractor with a loader is the bones of 100k. That’s half the price, and if genuine is easily worth 10 or 15k more than a rough item. You could buy a tractor for 30k, one backend problem and a set of tyres and where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

TheClubMan wrote: »
    What are people's experiences with New Holland 6635 tractors? Look to be a good stockman's tractor with no electrics. Thinking of purchasing one I have my eye on

I have no experience of them, but they should be a sound stockman's tractor. They're basically the old Fiat 90 series dressed up in more modern clothing. They have a dry clutch, which would be one weak point, especially if doing loader work.

Advertisement