Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Just saw the start of the thread on second hand goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

All the information you need is in the first post. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65040007&postcount=1
    Pre-owned or 2nd hand items are still liable for VAT. It makes no difference that it wasn't brand new. If it has a value, then it has value added tax, simple as that.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/import-export-policy/customs-manual-on-import-vat.pdf

Second-hand goods are liable to VAT at the rate applicable to new goods of the same kind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Second-hand goods are liable to VAT at the rate applicable to new goods of the same kind

its a sick joke isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fryup wrote: »
    its a sick joke isn't it

If they didn't they would be open to fraud, people would be just labelling everything "2nd hand (in mint condition)" to avoid VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

rubadub wrote: »
    If they didn't they would be open to fraud, people would be just labelling everything "2nd hand (in mint condition)" to avoid VAT.

I was quoted by a retailer just today that second hand goods in the UK don't carry any vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Makes no difference what they're subject to over there, once imported into here they're subject to VAT if valued over €22 (and always have been if coming from outside the EU)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Suckit wrote: »
    Then they will likely turn to the DHL type system where they charge you before you get the item, or destroy it. (If enough people do it.)

I had assumed that if you refused the item it would be returned to sender?
    They instead might destroy it? so you still pay for it but never receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had assumed that if you refused the item it would be returned to sender?
    They instead might destroy it? so you still pay for it but never receive it?
    It depends on the seller too, i.e. if the seller doesn't want to pay return shipping, they don't have to refund you, they are happy to let DHL destroy it as it has already been paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

If I were to purchase from Amazon.de and have it sent to the AddressPal UK location would I be charged anything? This particular product (Computer memory) doesn’t ship directly to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

bertie4evr wrote: »
    If I were to purchase from Amazon.de and have it sent to the AddressPal UK location would I be charged anything? This particular product (Computer memory) doesn’t ship directly to Ireland.

Yes as far as Revenue are concerned it's coming from the UK. You could use a German parcel forwarder instead. I've used Mailboxde a few times and find them very good. They're not accepting new users at the moment though. Mygermany is another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

AdressPal can cost you more than shipping directly from America as i have recently discovered,

I'm now going to go in to full detail on my experience for the benefit of others to be aware,

I now feel/think I would have been better off just shipping directly via eBay and paying them the customs fees rather than trusting Address Pal to be my professional friend which have rail road me in to a very expensive journey rather than a stress free one.

all started at Christmas when I bought two shelves for our sons room to hold his hotwheels cars, they look good on the wall and less risk of walking on one of them bare foot, purchased them on Amazon post brexit, painted them myself and fitted to the wall with 90 degree brackets.one srew in to the wall and one in to the frame on all four corners.

pnCUBxgrj

pmptunKIj

poZzyWQcj

i then began to get interested in collecting various models myself mainly street cars and rally which reminded me of fun times growing up, i met some collectors through adverts.ie whom introduced me to the "Real Riders" and "team Transport" range which are Hotwheels Premium models, they have metallic paint metal under carriage and real rubber tires, as well as finer details.

so one particular range of the hotwheels premium real rider models are Japanese Historic, which for me turned out to be more of a hysteric as you will soon discover.

po4nfQBLj

pmSGtqwvj

pn756CwGj

the model above is a 1978 Nissan Skyline C210 these models were released by Hotwheels in 2018.
    I bought that model for 25 euro on adverts.ie excluding shipping,

i then logged on to eBay USA and found some more models from the same "Japanese Historic 2" range of which there are five models in total.

pm0UdGEjj

i bought both of the above via ebayUK and provided my American AdressPal address for shipping from the seller in Texas.

total purchase cost was 26.02 euro almost 2 for 1 compared to purchasing locally, all seemed euphoric.
    until they arrived at addressPal in the big US

pnMihpvUj

There must be a minimum package price on American AddressPal deliveries as they were only weighing 150g and 200g but the fee from AddressPal at that stage was a staggering 15.99euro each. which i could only assume included a Customs import charge, and couldn't really do much about it as it had already been subtracted from my current account.
    it would later transpire that the 15.99euro each was only to cover shipping from AddressPal in America to my address in the Republic of Ireland.

many days then passed, until last night when I received a further two emails from anPost on behalf of the Irish Revenue and Customs, ow yes! inhalation is immanent there's no escaping.

heres the emails.

poRxxScVj

pmKQ96eMj

a total of 18.74 euro was required to be paid to customs for the two Hotwheels vehicles,

which the original purchase cost for both of them was 26.02 euro including shipping from the sellers to AdressPal in America.
    AdressPal had then charged a total of 31.98 euro (15.99 x 2) to ship them to Ireland,

i inquired on how the customs charges were calculated; and discovered that the customs add the cost of shipping to the value of the item in order to evaluate the amount of tax due to be paid, so that means that I'm paying import tax because addressPal charged 31.98 euro shipping to get them to Ireland where the customs could then add that to the item value to enterprise on fees.

overall cost from start to finish for these two cars was:
    inital purchase: 26.02 euro
    AddressPal fee's: 31.98 euro (15.99 x 2)
    Customs fee's: 18.74 euro

Total: 76.74 euro
    for two vehicles that once had an RRP of: 15.00 euro each back in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Assuming that the seller posted them separately, that is all correct.

The €15.99 is the price of transport from the US for 0-2Kg.

Revenues rules are that VAT is calculated on the transaction value, this is the invoice price plus the cost of transport and insurance. That has always been the case.

So you have your item price + internal US post price, and the AddressPal price giving you 28.39. 21% VAT of that is €5.96 and the Custom Collection Admin Fee of €3.50

It is all laid out here.
    https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise these charges and An Post can collect them on their behalf.

From January 1st the UK will also be outside of the EU. All UK and USA deliveries will be subject to Revenue inspection for customs and/or VAT charges.

From this date, a fee of €3.50 will be charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the European Union. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable. Items coming from destinations outside the EU may be subject to delay due to customs examination.

You were on a hiding to nothing with the seller sending the two cars separately, that's 2 x €15.99 off the bat.

You can state comments like "rather than trusting Address Pal to be my professional friend which have rail road me in to a very expensive journey rather than a stress free one." and "where the customs could then add that to the item value to enterprise on fees." all you want but that is negated by the below where you really say you didn't do your homework before you used the service.

"There must be a minimum package price on American AddressPal deliveries as they were only weighing 150g and 200g but the fee from AddressPal at that stage was a staggering 15.99euro each. which i could only assume included a Customs import charge" and "it would later transpire that the 15.99euro each was only to cover shipping from AddressPal in America to my address in the Republic of Ireland."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So basically you didn’t check how AddressPal or. Customs works.

LenWoods wrote: »
    There must be a minimum package price on American AddressPal deliveries as they were only weighing 150g and 200g but the fee from AddressPal at that stage was a staggering 15.99euro each. which i could only assume included a Customs import charge, and couldn't really do much about it as it had already been subtracted from my current account.
    it would later transpire that the 15.99euro each was only to cover shipping from AddressPal in America to my address in the Republic of Ireland.

So you didn't even check AddressPal's fees before using them? It's clear from a quick look at their site that €15.99 is the minimum charge.

It would have cost you a lot more lost year. An Post's customs fee was €10 minimum instead of €3.50.

Thanks for the warm support guys ��

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bertie4evr wrote: »

It might be refused in the UK, as there could be VAT due on importing stuff into the UK, then it gets sent here and you are stung again.

Unless it is some obscure memory I would be looking to get it elsewhere. Sounds like one for "bargain requests"

rubadub wrote: »
    It might be refused in the UK, as there could be VAT due on importing stuff into the UK, then it gets sent here and you are stung again.

Unless it is some obscure memory I would be looking to get it elsewhere. Sounds like one for "bargain requests"

+1
    i made a mistake of purchasing some clipsal keystone RJ45 inserts for some clipsal socket plates,

pnopyC4Sj

pmWJPjuej

pmmsmaEbj

I bought the inserts from Australia through eBay as they cant be gotten in Europe but fit straight in to the uk/Ireland sized plate,
    had them shipped via AddressPal at the time,
    got stung twice on those,
    DHL emailed me to pay import tax on the item prior to delivery to AddressPal,
    then AddressPal charged me on behalf of Irish customs.
    i did try to explain to DHL that there not going to be used in the uk and rather coming across Europe like a beach stone skims the surface of the water,
    but they didn't want to know, money talks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Will I need to pay vat on a 23€ item (including delivery of 3€) or does the 6€ minimum for vat still stand?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

The original post is unclear as regards "VAT is applied at 23% to the total amount, unless the item you are buying is VAT exempt, or classed at the lower rate of VAT."

...in which case, is VAT then solely charged on the postage part, and if it is, at which rate - 23% or the lower rate?

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

revenue.ie lists:
    BOOK KEEPING
    BOOKS OF STATIONERY - PRINTING
    BOOKS OF TICKETS / COUPONS
    ...but not - simply - books, as in reference/biographical/medical...

TARIC lookup returns:
    TARIC measure information
    [Show all information]
    The reference date is 24-09-2010
    Last TARIC update: 01-03-2021
    Area: Ireland - IE
    Goods nomenclature code: 4901
    Text description of goods nomenclature: books
    Measure type:
    Order number:
    Measure publication start date must be after:
    Measure publication start date must be before:
    Legal base:
    No data matches the criteria

Previous posters have been directed at the TARIC website to look up codes. Akin to asking an accountant to find the differential in a car. And the search functionality on the TARIC website is atrocious. Akin to the garage lights not working. If even logistics companies whose _sole_ purpose is to import/export have trouble using the system, what hope is there for mere mortals?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

oneweb wrote: »
    revenue.ie lists:
    BOOK KEEPING
    BOOKS OF STATIONERY - PRINTING
    BOOKS OF TICKETS / COUPONS
    ...but not - simply - books, as in reference/biographical/medical...

TARIC lookup returns:
    TARIC measure information
    [Show all information]
    The reference date is 24-09-2010
    Last TARIC update: 01-03-2021
    Area: Ireland - IE
    Goods nomenclature code: 4901
    Text description of goods nomenclature: books
    Measure type:
    Order number:
    Measure publication start date must be after:
    Measure publication start date must be before:
    Legal base:
    No data matches the criteria

Previous posters have been directed at the TARIC website to look up codes. Akin to asking an accountant to find the differential in a car. And the search functionality on the TARIC website is atrocious. Akin to the garage lights not working. If even logistics companies whose _sole_ purpose is to import/export have trouble using the system, what hope is there for mere mortals?

you already have the right code. 4901 is for printed books. https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&Taric=4901&Expand=true&SimDate=20210302#4901000000

The Taric has to be general, otherwise you will take up half the Internet with it. When I did customs clearance first it was the tariff book, which weighed probably 3 kilos. No search. You got used to it. It's like anything, the more its used, the more comfortable you get with it. Considering it covers everything from blood to computers, it's hard to narrow anything down to specifics.

The reason people have been directed to it, is that some people seem to expect everyone else to do the work for them. Look at how the original post on this thread, and see how long ago it was put up, and the reasons why. If someone needs a duty rate, they need to look it up. Unless it something like computers or books which are 0%, people won't know.if you import from outside the EU, you need to know this or you can be hit with all sorts of extra duties.

When it's exempt, such as books, AFAIK, you don't pay VAT on any part of it.

As ohnonotgmail says above, there is the starting point 4901. You drill down through the different ones and input the country of origin. Books are actually one of the easier ones to find in it. Some of the plastic articles in it could keep you going through it for days.

Thanks. There was a tiny glyph I had to click on to expand another list. And a singular origin/destination label was confusing as to whether that applied to where it was sent from/going to (which, applied to boardsies is the country it's coming from - may I suggest that be added to the 1st post?)
    whiterebel wrote: »
    The Taric has to be general, otherwise you will take up half the Internet with it. When I did customs clearance first it was the tariff book, which weighed probably 3 kilos. No search. You got used to it. It's like anything, the more its used, the more comfortable you get with it. Considering it covers everything from blood to computers, it's hard to narrow anything down to specifics.
    So, eh, you've got a copy of The Entire Human Anatomy to be able to look up your next symptoms...
    The reason people have been directed to it, is that some people seem to expect everyone else to do the work for them.
    ...and a copy of DIY surgery ;-p
    Unless it something like computers or books which are 0%, people won't know.if you import from outside the EU, you need to know this or you can be hit with all sorts of extra duties.

When it's exempt, such as books, AFAIK, you don't pay VAT on any part of it.
    A genuine thank you - this is exactly the information I was looking for, having spent the best part of a day last week Googling, looping around revenue.ie and cursing the europa website.
    As ohnonotgmail says above, there is the starting point 4901. You drill down through the different ones and input the country of origin. Books are actually one of the easier ones to find in it. Some of the plastic articles in it could keep you going through it for days.
    Which is exactly what happened to me :pac:

...now to find out how to challenge An Post's vat charge on my $30 books through AddressPal :(

Thanks again ;)

It is what it's.

If you go back a few pages through this thread: Addresspal you will find the email address that you appeal to, and some other helpful info,

I'm not quite sure the point you are making in point one above? It's an import thread, so all that matters in the country it's coming from. Maybe I'm misreading it?? The Taric is for exports as well, hence country of destination. Again, apologies if I'm reading it wrong.

If you go back a few pages through this thread: Addresspal you will find the email address that you appeal to, and some other helpful info,
    Thanks, I ended up finding it there.
    I'm not quite sure the point you are making in point one above? It's an import thread, so all that matters in the country it's coming from. Maybe I'm misreading it?? The Taric is for exports as well, hence country of destination. Again, apologies if I'm reading it wrong.
    Sorry, I meant the europa site has the unintuitive interface, which I'd tried before seeking advice here!

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the europa site has the unintuitive interface, which I'd tried before seeking advice here!

The UK site is much easier to use. It seems to be mostly the same as far as I can tell.

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. I have just ordered 2 products on Amazon.co.uk. The total for the two in £ should have been 18.23, at gx rate 1.181 €21.53. One of the products was on a lightning deal (previously £27.99, down to £12.99) and the other product previously £7.49 down to £5.24 on a voucher deal). Anyway long and short of it when I checked out the order summary uses the old prices for Items total then Total less promotion £18.23 but charges import fee deposit of £7.45. Never had this issue before but never usually have discounted prices that previously would have been over £22. Am I due a refund on the import charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Hi all. I have just ordered 2 products on Amazon.co.uk. The total for the two in £ should have been 18.23, at gx rate 1.181 €21.53. One of the products was on a lightning deal (previously £27.99, down to £12.99) and the other product previously £7.49 down to £5.24 on a voucher deal). Anyway long and short of it when I checked out the order summary uses the old prices for Items total then Total less promotion £18.23 but charges import fee deposit of £7.45. Never had this issue before but never usually have discounted prices that previously would have been over £22. Am I due a refund on the import charge?

If customs doesn't levy a fee, which they shouldn't considering the value, Amazon will refund the import fee.

Advertisement