Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in against car not yet in stock

Options
  • 27-02-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Maybe somebody here has experience of this and can provide some advice.

I've an 07 car with NCT expiring at the end of April this year.
    I'm looking at replacing it for another (new) car, but the car probably won't be in stock until after the NCT has expired.

When you do a trade in and agree on the price with the dealer, what happens if subsequently the NCT expires, would you have to get the car towed to the dealer to drop off, or do they sometimes collect it?

I presume the short date before NCT expiry will have a big influence on the value. I don't want to put the car through the NCT as I'm sure it will cost a bit to get sorted, so just wondering what my options are.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Has the dealer offered a price for the p/x?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An 07 car is usually worth next to nothing to a dealer. They’ll take the NCT expiry in to account with the price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭cannco253

I've nothing concrete yet, just made a few phone calls but was wondering what to expect before I go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you taking into account the few months extra that have been allowed on NCTs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Cannco, you know the person that has the most power in a relationship - the one who cares least about it.

Try and make that you. Unless you have set your heart on a make and model, shop around.

If X dealer offers you some amount with NCT, see what Y offers, then point out the offer from X.

Ultimately the dealer wants to sell cars and paying a bit for p/x is just an expense to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said the dealer will just value your car without seeing it as it's an old car with an expiring NCT so won't really be bothered about it's condition as long as it's driving. They will value it low to cover themselves as they just sell it on to the trade anyway.

You might do better selling it cheap yourself and then negotiating a better discount on the newer car as you won't have a car to trade in. 14 year old cars with no NCT can be more hassle for dealers than anything else.

The dealer came back to me with a trade in value that is ballpark what I expected based on photos I sent of the car, so I'll probably take it.
    New car won't be available for another 3 weeks.

If something shows up on the trade in car between now and the arrival of the new car, I presume I need to let the dealer know?
    Do dealers ever take a trade in car in advance and just get rid of it? If I put down a deposit on the new car, I presume there is little risk for them.

I'd be the one without the car for the 3 weeks, but we could manage on my wife's car during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cannco253 wrote: »
    The dealer came back to me with a trade in value that is ballpark what I expected based on photos I sent of the car, so I'll probably take it.
    New car won't be available for another 3 weeks.

If something shows up on the trade in car between now and the arrival of the new car, I presume I need to let the dealer know?
    Do dealers ever take a trade in car in advance and just get rid of it? If I put down a deposit on the new car, I presume there is little risk for them.

I'd be the one without the car for the 3 weeks, but we could manage on my wife's car during this time.

You are overthinking it. I f they gave you a price, drive on and keep it til new car arrives.
    What car do you have? They will have themselves well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have you considered that you could be without the car for more than 3 weeks?

I wouldn't be taking any expected delivery date as gospel.

What would happen if I show up in 3 weeks and something new has shown up on the car, is it up to the dealer to discover it on the day themselves or should I tell them? I'm sure they wouldn't be too impressed if I didn't and they found out themselves subsequently.

How are trade ins working during Covid if you can't view or drive the car properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Ask the Dealer?

What would happen if I show up in 3 weeks and something new has shown up on the car, is it up to the dealer to discover it on the day themselves or should I tell them? I'm sure they wouldn't be too impressed if I didn't and they found out themselves subsequently.

How are trade ins working during Covid if you can't view or drive the car properly?

If they gave you a trade in price without seeing the car, they have allowed for it being a ball of scrap.

mickdw wrote: »
    If they gave you a trade in price without seeing the car, they have allowed for it being a ball of scrap.

yes I think so and If you have a good relationship they'll look after you. When we traded in our three year old car lately, I said to the guy "did you look at it? It has a scape on the wing...." Didn't care, quite happy. Knew us, knew the car .

Isambard wrote: »
    yes I think so and If you have a good relationship they'll look after you. When we traded in our three year old car lately, I said to the guy "did you look at it? It has a scape on the wing...." Didn't care, quite happy. Knew us, knew the car .

I dont like that. If he knew the car - fair enough but in general when you see a saleman look out the window at the trade in, you can be sure he is giving feck all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Main dealers won't even look at your 07 car, it will go straight out the back gate to the trade. They won't even want it seen on their forecourt. They have given you the 'scrappage deal'.

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont like that. If he knew the car - fair enough but in general when you see a saleman look out the window at the trade in, you can be sure he is giving feck all for it.

you're quite right there. He's giving the cash buyer discount and getting the trade in car for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Is there a reluctance by the OP to 'name' his 07 car?

Is it worth the discount you would get for a straight sale on a new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I was offered 1000 on a trade in on an e60 bmw 523i 2006 against a 4 year old audi a6 in 2018.

I ended up getting 2k discount off asking as a cash buyer....go figure.

Sold the bmw for 1800 privately. Net gain to me of 2800.
    Cost to change went from 21,000 to 18,200.

Theres what you need to know about what happens when trading in low value car.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I was offered 1000 on a trade in on an e60 bmw 523i 2006 against a 4 year old audi a6 in 2018.

I ended up getting 2k discount off asking as a cash buyer....go figure.

Sold the bmw for 1800 privately. Net gain to me of 2800.
    Cost to change went from 21,000 to 18,200.

Theres what you need to know about what happens when trading in low value car.

Yep - they were charging to take it off your hands.
    I did the same a good few years back.
    Offered 13k for trade in against a 54.5k audi.
    Sold private for 15k and bought the car for 51k straight. 5.5k better off.

Advertisement