Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My sporadic running blog

• 17-01-2021 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

Running is not a regular pastime of mine but I'm doing it a bit more lately to try keep in some kind of shape. Realistically it is just something I dip into every few months and do a few runs here and there. I would like to start improving my times a little (they are shocking). It takes me just over 35mins to do 5km, but that is when I've been out a few times and have gotten myself up to speed. And I can't run it all, I will always have a few moments where I break into a walk for a minute or 2. My most often run route is 3km and we are talking similar 7min/km pace. I can run this non stop.

A few weeks back I ran the 3km a bit quicker to start with but it killed me and I slowed right down and finished in usual time of about 21 mins. But I was in bits for ages after, wheezing like a good thing for half hour or so till I dug out an old inhaler for some help.

I'm mid 40's, 6ft and nearly 14stone. Desk job, playing golf is about the bulk of my exercise but thats gone again now. I was asthmatic as a kid but over the last 15 years or so it is not something I even think about and it is only when I come down with a rare chest infection that it might kick off a little. I used to put a lot of it down to the smoking ban, not that I ever was a smoker, but I certainly noticed the difference when the ban kicked in and people stopped blowing it in my face over a few pints. I read recently about excercise induced asthma which might make more sense as I guess I stopped playing football and being properly active in my mid 20's, around the same time as the ban and when I stopped having the need to constantly have my inhaler on me. I was never a runner, started on an off maybe 10 years ago or so.

As a bit of a marker, I ran 1km last week flat out. The first 300m was faster pace but then started slowing. Finished 5:37. Wheezing a lot after but I took inhaler straight away and was ok after about 5 mins or so.

Friday I did 5km. Paced myself at 6:40 for the first 2.5km or so as I wanted to push it, but I invariably slowed down after that and finished 35:40 or so. But the quicker pace had my Garmin beeping at me a good few times for high heart rate. I'm not sure if it is linked to my breathing but maybe you expert runners might give some tips.

Also HR zones is something I see on Garmin, but not something I really understand and how I should set them up and use them. My resting HR is about 70. I would regularly hit 170 when running but was tipping 180 other day. Typical after a run I would go for a little walk to warm down, 5-10 mins or so. Then it will probably take 15 mins or so till my HR drops to below 100. I don't know if any of this is normal, good, bad or indifferent. But it has got me thinking that maybe I need to concentrate on it a bit more on all of this stuff rather than just moving the legs at snails pace.

PS the goal is 5km in 30 mins..... can I do it? I think I did it once on a treadmill in the early days.
    Post edited by RacoonQueen on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There's a thread here. Have a read through that, this The Basics Post MurphD is also a must read.

Yes you can do it. Along with HR training you need to slow.right.down when you're doing your day to day runs. This will allow you to go further and longer. If your goal is 5k in 30 mins there are definitely some basic plans for new runners out there. Hal Higdon is a good one although I don't know if he does a beginners 5k. For now, you could go out for a run 3 days a week, leaving a days rest between each one (or more). Do two shorter runs and a slightly longer run at the weekend. Just for now while your body gets used to regularly running (don't build up too much too quickly). Once you've done that for 5/6 weeks you could look at a beginners plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

If you have a garmin watch then there should be a beginners 5K training plan on it. Identical stats to you, mid 40s, no exercise other than golf since i was 21 - never ran. Started the garmin plan back last summer and ran first 5K in October at 28:56. Down to 24 mins now and running 10K under 55 mins. Just started training for first triathlon in the summer.

Its easily done, follow the plan and you'll be grand. One thing I would suggest though is getting a HRM strap - cheapos on Amazon will do the job grand - as the one on your wrist isnt great and cant be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've been meaning to update this thread as I wanted to use it as some sort of motivation for myself as I find it hard to get off my ass. Turns out thanks to davegilly I got all the motivation I needed on my Garmin.

Anyway, going to fire through a quick update of where I'm at and how I got here.

After I started this thread I went out and did a 5 mile run/walk. Managed to break the hour by a few seconds. But I had my orthotic insoles in a new pair of runners. They are not a good fit in the new runners and I was properly blistered. I've been running without the orthotics since, probably not a good idea as I am very flat footed, but at 44, I only got them a few years ago so am used to being without them all my life. A few days later I did the 3km block in 20 mins and was very happy with that.

But then I signed up to the Garmin plan, I've never done anything like this before but have to say I find it great, I'm now five weeks into it (11 week plan) and I've only missed one of the sessions. When I signed up and told it I want to complete 5km in 30 mins I could hear it laughing at me as it suggested that might be a bit ambitious! It is great the way it basically works everything out for you and as you do the sessions, the watch buzzes and tells you what you need to be doing. I've been on 4 sessions a week but it is upping to 5 from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Keep up the good work.
    Running is as addictive as golf. But it is probably a bit more linear in progression, and probably notbas frustrating :)
    I say this as someone fairly new to golf before it closed down...
    Love to get back out for a game, until I slice off the 1st tee, duff the 2nd shot, duck hook the 3rd, hack it onto the green and 3 putt.. Consider throwing the putter at the bag, (deep breathe) before stomping to the 2nd tee to repeat it all again.
    At least with running you will have improved after the 12 weeks, golf on the other hand.....

Ceepo wrote: »
    Keep up the good work.
    Running is as addictive as golf. But it is probably a bit more linear in progression, and probably notbas frustrating :)
    I say this as someone fairly new to golf before it closed down...
    Love to get back out for a game, until I slice off the 1st tee, duff the 2nd shot, duck hook the 3rd, hack it onto the green and 3 putt.. Consider throwing the putter at the bag, (deep breathe) before stomping to the 2nd tee to repeat it all again.
    At least with running you will have improved after the 12 weeks, golf on the other hand.....

Thanks for that. I had to stop my update there yesterday, little one broke her leg at the weekend and is demanding a lot of attention. I'll get back to it later on.

Give me a game of golf any day though I am not a fan of the running and I don't think I'll ever be as good at running than I am at golf.... gimme a 3 putt any day ;):D
    I'm not sure I find it addictive to be honest. There have been a few times when I just didn't want to go out and just pushed the session a day or 2. Other times I have forced myself. TBH hitting my goals on the Garmin is keeping me going. The training plan has a confidence indicator as you can see from the attached and when I started it was mid green, so I'm certainly trending in the right direction.

544674.jpg

• Advertisement

right, need to update. I've just started week 7. I missed one training session in the first week, but threw in a 5k run that weekend, so other than shifting a few sessions to different days, I've pretty much stuck to the plan..... well, I thought I was sticking to the plan, see below where I've been going wrong.

Taking inhaler before I run seems to be helping as I've had little to no wheezing and the little has only come when I've pushed it, eg the recent tempo run. I've had no blisters thankfully but the bones were quite sore and I felt mild shin splints in early weeks, taking baths helped and I was not feeling the pinch as much till the last week where the bones have been sore again.

It started with what they call a benchmark run which was a 2 minute warm up and a flat out 5 minute run then 2 minute warm down. I was absolutely wrecked after this. managed .85km in the 5 minutes. Since then each week has been the same, with distances being upped a little here and there. most sessions involve a 2 minute warm up and warm down. Distances are odd, 1.61, 2.4, 3.22, 4.83 km... seems to be miles. this is a summary of what I've done. times include the warm ups and cool downs

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7
    Tempo run
    .4km @ 75%
    0.81km @ race pace 6:00
    .4km @ 75% 10:36
    Run
    2 min warm up
    2 min warm down 2.41km 19:21 3.22km 24:33 4km 31:08 4.83km 37:16 4.83km 35:27 4.83km 35:27
    Tempo run
    .81km @ 75%
    1.61km @ race pace 6:00
    .81km @ 75% 22:21 22:03 21:26 20:48 22:04
    Steady state run
    2 min warm up
    Run @ 7:15-7:35
    2 min warm down 4.83km 40:32 missed, did a 5km @ weekend 33:51 4.83km 39:04 4.83km 39:08 4.83 km 38:45 6.44km 53:00
    Easy run
    2 min warm up
    run @ easy pace
    2 min warm down 3.22km 26:15 3.22km 25:02 3.22km 26:17 3.22km 26:05 3.22km 24:22 3.22km 35:07

I've pretty much stuck to the plan and kept my times close enough in line with what the plan says, some a bit quicker if I could and some a bit slower because I just couldn't. I was taking it easy on the "easy run", as in I wasn't trying to go fast, looking for 7:30 km or so and a little quicker if I was going OK. But that is not what it means and as can be seen with my most recent "Easy Run" I have made an adjustment. That send my confidence needle back into the green :(

First a bit of good news. I can run without stopping for walk breaks :D In the last 2 weeks I've set a new mile record twice, it now stands at 9:15. I've also set a 5km record @32:34

I haven't been paying attention to my HR while running, but I do know it gets quite high. I feel I have been improving at times, as in running better with lower avg HR but then it just shoots back up the next run. The Garmin has (as I'm sure is a standard) a few HR zones based on Max HR. So for me this is supposed to be my zone chart and Garmin have names for each zones

Warm Up 88 - 105bpm
    Easy 106-122 bpm
    Aerobic 123-140 bpm
    Threshold 141-157 bpm
    Maximum >157 bpm

Most of my running tends to be in the Max zone then threshold. This was something I kinda knew I need to work on & I know Annie posted a thread link earlier which might help me (haven't read it yet but I will). But the last 3.22km easy run was boring as hell. I found it difficult to keep my HR low as I was picking up speed. I'll stick with it though for the next few weeks as I have read this is where I should be concentrating my training.

Bit of a moan, my Garmin is a Vivoactive 3. A super watch, but I've always found it is not as good as my old Forerunner when it comes to running. GPS stats are definitely out, I've read of others with similar issues. The pace is not always correct, I've picked up speed and my watch tells me I'm slowing down and vice versa. It's like there is a delay in it and I know it has me running slightly further distances that what it is telling me. It not a big deal, but when it comes to pacing myself, it's not as good as it could be. I'd use the Forerunner but it doesn't link to the training plan.

Also running in the dark can be a pain because the backlight is supposed to glow when I flick my wrist but most of the time it doesn't.... roll on the bright evenings :D

I'm considering investing in a new Forerunner/fenix.

This is an example of a typical run. HR is very high. My average has come down since I've started, not by much though.

545597.jpg

Was able to control it on recent Steady State run by concentrating but maybe I should be pushing for more in the green?

545598.jpg

Discovered this worrying stat last week. My VO2 Max which is supposed to be reasonable accurate as I do use a HR Chest Strap with my Garmin.

545600.jpg

This though is even more concerning, I would have thought it should be increasing with training and not falling. let's hope the curve is about to start trending in the right direction from here.

545601.jpeg

Are you using a HR chest strap? If so then your zones are all wrong. Any more than a few minutes in Zone 5 and you will collapse from exhaustion so spending huge percentages of a run in that zone means either your HR monitor is not working properly or your zones are wrong. You need a chest strap for reliable readings.

To calculate your zones properly you need to know your max heart rate or your lactic threshold. I don’t know if your watch does it or not but there is a handy LTR test on Garmin watches that can calculate your LTR, dunno how accurate it is in reality but the zones it’s given me are pretty good as far as I can make out. There are a number of tests you can do also to try and find out max heart rate or a close derivative of it if you google them.

My zones are setup then as Zone 1 is 58-72%. Zone 2 is 72-79%. Zone 3 is 79-85%. Zone 4 is 85-94% and Zone 5 is 94-100% of Max HR of which mine is 182 (46 and no exercise for >20 years until last summer)

Zone 5 is only ever reached when I’m at max capacity for the last K or so of a 5K time trial and almost ready to pass out.

Most of your training should be in Zone 2 with some training in Zone 3/4 once a week to help build speed. This is what I’ve always been told anyway and it’s been working for me. I’m about 7-8 months ahead of you on this - it’s confusing and frustrating to begin with but once you get going with it then it’s all good. The shin/knee/back etc pain all goes away as well in time!! If you’re looking to get a forerunner and also want it for golf then the 945 is the job. I have one and and the amount of info it provides is mind boggling. Plus it has the LTR test on it as well which is very helpful starting out.

Yes was considering the 945
    I do have the chest strap. I have used the chest strap linked to my old forerunner 410 and compared it with the wrist HR readings of the vivoactive. Same runs, lots of them, one watch on each arm, nearly no difference between them.
    Since I started this plan I’m not bothering with the 410 as it doesn’t link to the training plan.

Will have to look at the zones. I didn’t set them, Garmin defaults I suppose. Max HR 220-44 is 176. Ok I know there maybe more scientific ways of getting this but it surely can’t be much higher.

In zone 2 last week I genuinely would have been quicker if I was having a stroll but I tried to run as I have read that it is better to use a run style even if walking is quicker.

Id be a bit of a believer that it’s not a real workout unless you sweat. I won’t be sweating in zone 2 as it is so can’t see the point. I’ll crunch the numbers shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yes was considering the 945

The 945 would be incredible overkill for what you are doing.

Have a look at the older forerunners.

What would you recommend?

I agree but if you want golf on it as well then you're pretty much limited to the Vivoactive, 935/945 or Fenix range

davegilly wrote: »
    I agree but if you want golf on it as well then you're pretty much limited to the Vivoactive, 935/945 or Fenix range

That’s what I was thinking.
    I don’t think the golf ones are any good for running other than the basic stuff I would have on the vivo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Bit of a moan, my Garmin is a Vivoactive 3. A super watch, but I've always found it is not as good as my old Forerunner when it comes to running. GPS stats are definitely out, I've read of others with similar issues. The pace is not always correct, I've picked up speed and my watch tells me I'm slowing down and vice versa. It's like there is a delay in it and I know it has me running slightly further distances that what it is telling me. It not a big deal, but when it comes to pacing myself, it's not as good as it could be. I'd use the Forerunner but it doesn't link to the training plan.

Also running in the dark can be a pain because the backlight is supposed to glow when I flick my wrist but most of the time it doesn't.... roll on the bright evenings :D

I'm considering investing in a new Forerunner/fenix.

Make sure to connect your watch to your home wifi every now and again to update it, friend of mine had a similar issue and when I checked their watch (settings and then about) it showed that her GPS settings EPO was not current.
    What would you recommend?

If the watch is going to be an everyday fashion item and you can afford them, the fenix watches are great looking, thing is they are heavy and on smaller wrists look big. Another friend has the 45 which does everything they want running and swimming wise, not pretty so (for me) not an everyday watch.
    I personally have a 645, Garmin pay and music was the deal breaker for me, you can pick one up for around €250 currently but it is an end of range watch so won't be getting any extras from Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Do you listen to music while running?

My zones are setup then as Zone 1 is 58-72%. Zone 2 is 72-79%. Zone 3 is 79-85%. Zone 4 is 85-94% and Zone 5 is 94-100% of Max HR of which mine is 182 (46 and no exercise for >20 years until last summer)

Where did you get these zone ranges? Should I just copy yours...... I’m guessing not, but not sure what I should set them at.
    Garmin has them set
    Zone 1 50-60
    Zone 2 60-70
    Zone 3 70-80
    Zone 4 80-90
    Zone 5 90-100

Resting HR is 55. I feel this has come down as I’m pretty sure it used to be well over 60, closer to 70 perhaps

Do you listen to music while running?

Have the music sorted, phone or iPod so not fused if the watch has it. TBH even if it does, I’m unlike to use it. Do use (the odd time) the Garmin pay facility though so that’s good to have

Where did you get these zone ranges? Should I just copy yours...... I’m guessing not, but not sure what I should set them at.
    Garmin has them set
    Zone 1 50-60
    Zone 2 60-70
    Zone 3 70-80
    Zone 4 80-90
    Zone 5 90-100

Resting HR is 55. I feel this has come down as I’m pretty sure it used to be well over 60, closer to 70 perhaps

Can't remember where exactly I came across them but I do know I had it researched for a long time before coming up with these!! I know now they are pretty accurate for me for running - I have different zones for cycling and swimming - the Garmin zones seem to be just off the cuff numbers rounded so I wouldn't bother with them to be honest. You can copy the zone percentages of course, as I said, I'm pretty confident they are fairly accurate for running but nothing is completely exact and if you google it you will see there is no "correct" answer to this. If your max HR is correct then they should work for you too I would say.

However without your max heart rate or LTR then it doesn't matter how you setup your zones, they're wrong anyway!! I'm pretty sure your resting HR is wrong too, it seems too low considering you're reasonably unfit in the grand scheme of things. My VO2 Max is 49 which is quite a bit higher than yours but my resting HR is 59 and you said you're age is mid 40's as well? Maybe it is right, I don't know enough about it, I just presumed the lower your resting HR was then the fitter you were but maybe not?

As for the Zone 2 training, take it from me, it works. It takes time though and it's perfectly normal to have to walk some of the run to keep your HR in Zone 2 and some days a lot of the run ends up walking which is hard to understand. I got very frustrated doing this early days but I'm a stubborn bugger and kept at it and can now run under 6 minutes per Km in Zone 2 and can max out at an approx 22 min 5Km which I'm absolutely delighted with. Zone 2 training will prevent injury also so you can keep tra dining rather than be injured every second week!

Yes I’m 44

My resting HR is taken from Garmin Connect which is basically fed from the wrist HR on my vivoactive worn all the time. Maybe I need to do a proper resting HR test to get a correct reading. But maybe it doesn’t matter that much as I don’t think you use the resting HR to calculate your zones.

Thanks for your insight though, it definitely helps and I am now going to look into getting the zones set up properly, I’ll do my homework rather than just piggy backing your zone %’s.

I will continue with the last 4 weeks of the current training plan (come to far at this stage not to) but I am going to slow it down on some of the runs. After that, I’m going to set up a HR based training plan.

• Advertisement

Some good info here on Zone 2 training and why - https://youtu.be/ppU_ODUX7ic

Some good info here on Zone 2 training and why - https://youtu.be/ppU_ODUX7ic

10:14... this is useless :D

That’s a good video for starting out, but I still don’t understand the science of running slow and having to walk haha.

Actually been looking at some of his stuff. Was going to use his calculator but it’s weird and complicated and the results I was getting were not far off what I got by following this.

https://www.myprocoach.net/calculators/hr-zones/

You really need to go and do a proper max HR test. Anything you're doing without that is a waste of time. Don't rely on the general formula.

Once you do that you can start training properly and you'll know what pace is the right one for easy, and yes, running most runs at your easy pace/zone 2 is really important if you want to do this properly.

You really need to go and do a proper max HR test. Anything you're doing without that is a waste of time. Don't rely on the general formula.

Once you do that you can start training properly and you'll know what pace is the right one for easy, and yes, running most runs at your easy pace/zone 2 is really important if you want to do this properly.

Yes I’ve been thinking that alright. Can you recommend a good way of doing it? There just seems so many ways of doing it. I was going to try get down to the Phoenix park over the weekend and run up and down the hill at the magazine fort a few times to work it out, and thoughts on this?

For the moment, I’ve reviewed my recent runs and see I hit 183 a few days times and 186 once. High 170s is not uncommon late on a long run. I’ve stuck it in at 183 for the moment to give me something better that what I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Yes I’ve been thinking that alright. Can you recommend a good way of doing it? There just seems so many ways of doing it. I was going to try get down to the Phoenix park over the weekend and run up and down the hill at the magazine fort a few times to work it out, and thoughts on this?

For the moment, I’ve reviewed my recent runs and see I hit 183 a few days times and 186 once. High 170s is not uncommon late on a long run. I’ve stuck it in at 183 for the moment to give me something better that what I had.

180 - your age is cock. Everyone is individual.
    If you have seen 186, why would you use 183?

The best way I find for getting your max HR, is 3 to 4 x 800, done after a warm up of course and when you are well rested.

As you are fairly new to running, id recommend 3 x 800, on the flat.
    1st one should be hard but controlled then take 90 sec recovery, 2nd one a bit harder but also controlled 3rd one, 1st 200 should be very hard next 300 hard controlled with the last 300 at max effort.
    Stop your watch and give yourself a clap on the back, job done. Nice handy cool down.
    The % guide of HR posted earlier is fairly good.
    Work out your own zones from that and you're pretty sorted.
    Re resting HR, again you're individual, so there's no point in comparing yours to someone else's.

Ceepo's advice above is spot on, make sure you do a nice long warm up, couple of miles jogging, if you can breathe through your nose for chuncks of this you're at the right pace. Then get into the 800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

That’s a good video for starting out, but I still don’t understand the science of running slow and having to walk haha.

Quoting Hadd "you get more out of a tube of toothpaste if you squeeze it from the bottom up"

Ceepo wrote: »
    180 - your age is cock. Everyone is individual.
    If you have seen 186, why would you use 183?

Fair point. I guess I don't know enough and I was just wary of a bogus spike. I got a spike 2 weeks back 234 which was clearly an error. My true max is most likely more than 186 as I have read about people having to lie down for a while after testing their limit and I've never been like this. I suppose I was also considering the 220-age craic (which I've read enough about now to know is useless) and was thinking could a 44 year old really have max HR of 190 odd!

Thanks for the tips on the max HR test. I will do this but not yet. I had considered doing it this weekend but I was not rested nor was I in the mood to do it! I'll wait a few weeks before I go at it because rightly or wrongly I've just finished week 7 of my training plan so I'm going to see it out first. For the last 4 weeks of the plan I'm going to stick in 190.

Good also to get the feedback on the % guide thanks. I'll stick with this and just work on the Max HR.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Make sure to connect your watch to your home wifi every now and again to update it, friend of mine had a similar issue and when I checked their watch (settings and then about) it showed that her GPS settings EPO was not current.

I update it regularly.
    It’s weird, overall the maps on a run don’t be to far off the mark but as I say when I look at comparisons, there can be about 100m difference in a 5k run.
    What is more annoying though is the pace. It jumps all over the shop. Without fail when I start, it will say something daft like 12min/km pace or even worse but it tumbles down..... slowly, maybe a minute or 2. Most runs I’m doing now have a warm up of 2 mins. The other day I was past the warm up and had started running and had a nice rhythm going. Watch tells me I’m doing something like 8:30km pace, I knew I was going faster so didn’t break pace. Then I look down and I’m doing 6:30 pace..... few seconds later I’m doing 7:30 pace.

I’ve taken to using the average lap (set as 1km) pace as a guide, but even that jumps and is not always reliable till I get well into the lap.

Up till now I was looking at the pace and upping or downing my pace accordingly (even though I kinda knew it felt wrong) but that was just really ****ing up my runs, I was all over the shop. I still wouldn’t really be able to gauge my pace when running, though I now realise not to react to what is a bad read on the watch.

Reports are vivoactive 3 is supposed to be very good at the gps, but I’m clearly having issues which is why I’m considering an upgrade.

Edit: just found a setting to change to GPS + Glonass so I’ll see if that makes a difference

• Advertisement

I update it regularly.
    It’s weird, overall the maps on a run don’t be to far off the mark but as I say when I look at comparisons, there can be about 100m difference in a 5k run.
    What is more annoying though is the pace. It jumps all over the shop. Without fail when I start, it will say something daft like 12min/km pace or even worse but it tumbles down..... slowly, maybe a minute or 2. Most runs I’m doing now have a warm up of 2 mins. The other day I was past the warm up and had started running and had a nice rhythm going. Watch tells me I’m doing something like 8:30km pace, I knew I was going faster so didn’t break pace. Then I look down and I’m doing 6:30 pace..... few seconds later I’m doing 7:30 pace.

I’ve taken to using the average lap (set as 1km) pace as a guide, but even that jumps and is not always reliable till I get well into the lap.

Up till now I was looking at the pace and upping or downing my pace accordingly (even though I kinda knew it felt wrong) but that was just really ****ing up my runs, I was all over the shop. I still wouldn’t really be able to gauge my pace when running, though I now realise not to react to what is a bad read on the watch.

Reports are vivoactive 3 is supposed to be very good at the gps, but I’m clearly having issues which is why I’m considering an upgrade.

Edit: just found a setting to change to GPS + Glonass so I’ll see if that makes a difference

Don't look at your watch so much when you're running. Most of your runs should be 'easy' and you need to learn to do these by feel. Make sure you can hold a conversation (talking to yourself is highly recommend!!) And / or practice some nose breathing throughout the run, that will bring your pace to where it should be. Overreliance on a watch that may or may not be right is not helpful.

Advertisement