Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAW Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

J. Marston wrote: »
    Hurt Business is the best stable in all of wrestling right now.

See when you say that you open yourself up to criticism. If you say best faction in WWE then sure, knock yourself out! But best faction in all of wrestling for a faction that's probably never produced a match you could objectively rate 4 stars or above is silly.

Necro wrote: »
    Ah yeah, no point arguing with this sort of sh1te. It's LOB's idea of wrestling or your opinion is worthless.

Seriously, what is your problem with people liking different things to you?

What? I said fair enough. I said if that's what you like and your consistent in that then fair enough. I gave my reasons for why I find that stuff dumb so fair enough. And I gave the guy recommendations for stuff he may not have seen that he might enjoy based on his enjoyment of the stuff he said he likes. I was being helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

What? I said fair enough. I said if that's what you like and your consistent in that then fair enough. I gave my reasons for why I find that stuff dumb so fair enough. And I gave the guy recommendations for stuff he may not have seen that he might enjoy based on his enjoyment of the stuff he said he likes. I was being helpful!

You have been very dismissive of people’s opinions (including my own) in the past, so I can fully see where Necro is coming from with his comment.

I still find it odd that every Tues you come on here giving out about most of what WWE produce. We get you dont like the product; we get you dont like Wyatt/Orton bliss storyline. But every Tues, you say the same thing.. Its just getting a tad boring at this stage.

As I’ve said before, if you arent enjoying the product, stop engaging with it! Very simple

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

See when you say that you open yourself up to criticism. If you say best faction in WWE then sure, knock yourself out! But best faction in all of wrestling for a faction that's probably never produced a match you could objectively rate 4 stars or above is silly.

And you open yourself up to criticism, and ridicule, by treating Meltzer's stars as the sacred texts of wrestling.

Hurt Business are the best. You'll just have to cope with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Naomi should join MVP's group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

R.E.D are the best faction in wrestling and it's not even close.

And you open yourself up to criticism, and ridicule, by treating Meltzer's stars as the sacred texts of wrestling.

Hurt Business are the best. You'll just have to cope with that.

Imagine coming at me with this take when the tag team champions from the Hurt Business were DESTROYED by Braun Strowman (of all people) the night before. How ludicrous. Literally the only way you could formulate this take is if the only wrestling you watch is Raw because their only competition would be Retribution. So great, good job guys, you're better than Retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy for Bobby finally winning the WWE Championship

All set up for Drew reclaiming it in front of fans at mania

A world title change on Raw is very rare. If I recall correctly Dolph cashed in and won the title after one of the manias and Stone Cold beat Kane years ago to reclaim the title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

PTH2009 wrote: »

A world title change on Raw is very rare. If I recall correctly Dolph cashed in and won the title after one of the manias and Stone Cold beat Kane years ago to reclaim the title

Mankind's title win too! just watched it on the network

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bray dressed as Orton and Bliss surely has to win at WM against Orton ending their feud maybe even having Orton join them, tag run for Bray and Randy

• Advertisement

daithi1989 wrote: »
    You have been very dismissive of people’s opinions (including my own) in the past, so I can fully see where Necro is coming from with his comment.

I still find it odd that every Tues you come on here giving out about most of what WWE produce. We get you dont like the product; we get you dont like Wyatt/Orton bliss storyline. But every Tues, you say the same thing.. Its just getting a tad boring at this stage.

As I’ve said before, if you arent enjoying the product, stop engaging with it! Very simple

I mean if the take is bad, I'm going to call out the take. It's nothing personal. I see bad takes, I call them out.

Boring!? You've sat through 3 hours of Raw and you find my posts boring? OK, so I'll do a quick run through here, touching on 4 issues with Raw. I won't talk about the entire show because I actually think you could write a dissertation on last night's Raw. So here we go!

Issue 1: The World Title belts in WWE are props. Of course, all belts in pro wrestling are props, or storytelling devices. But the difference is that WWE treats it's World Title like an actual prop. What does being WWE Champion actually mean? It means nothing, it means you get to walk around with the belt for a while til another guy gets to walk around with it after you. The difference in approach to how WWE treat their World Titles compared to say NJPW is stark. Where in WWE you can cash in a briefcase and win the thing in a few seconds, so that even lower mid card/mid card guys can win it, the achievement in WWE is to be in possession of the World Title, kind of like the one ring in Lord of the Rings. Whereas, using NJPW as the example, they treat it far more like boxing or MMA, where the champion is supposed to be the best guy in the division, the achievement isn't being in possession of the belt, it's that the belt is just a physical representation that you are infact the best wrestler. Ultimately, it makes it tough to care who the World Champions are in WWE, especially in modern times where the champion has no responsibility to pull in a big live gate, a big ppv number or even big quarter hour numbers anymore. They could stick the title on a kid in the crowd and it wouldn't matter. Essentially that's what they've done with Miz, a guy that loses every week is suddenly World Champion? It's the equivalent of giving Yujiro Takahashi the IWGP Belt.

Issue 2: Lashley beat a weak champion. This ties into the first issue. Bobby Lashley is the World Champion in WWE, after 17 years. That's how it was presented to the fans on TV and social media, it was supposed to be a momentous occasion. The problem is, he beat The Miz. The Miz, a guy who never wins, a mid card geek if ever there was one. The Miz who was only the champion on a fluke. They wanted this Lashley win to come across as the career defining moment for the guy, but if you beat nobody to beat the title then straight away it diminishes the moment and you're starting the reign on bad footing. The booking of Lashley has been a strong point on this show for months now, what a horrible shame they couldn't have found somebody stronger for him to beat than Miz.

Issue 3: Sheamus/Drew was on Raw? Moving away from those 2 issues. I had no idea these 2 guys were gonna wrestle last night? Did you? Did anybody? They build this for months, they do the turn which they rushed, then they do the payoff which they both rushed and failed to promote. Where do you go from here? The face beat the heel clean in the 1st match post turn and he did it on the 1st hour of Raw to no fanfare? I swear if you tried to book pro wrestling this badly you couldn't. A child could tell you to drop a tweet about it beforehand if you're really going to go through with doing this match on a random Raw in the 1st hour. But here's the thing. It doesn't matter. Nothing they do matters. They don't have a live crowd to call them out on their nonsense. They've got secure TV contracts. They don't have to sell ppvs or network subs. Nothing that happens on this show matters. They can literally throw anything on the screen and the same 1.6-1.8 million people will watch it every week no matter what so that's how you end up with a mess like this.

Issue 4: Harsh takes on me. People think I'm unfair or WWE bashing? Dude, I just buried Night 1 of NJPW Castle Attack on this board! I buried the thing under the ground because it sucked. The matches sucked. The stories sucked. There was 1 excellent match, everything else sucked. This Raw show had 1 really good match (****) and everything else sucked even worse than that NJPW show. That's called calling it as you see it. No agendas, no nonsense.

Didn't even mention The Fiend, Orton or Alexa once...

Boring, they told me...

Kayfabe-wise, the managerial job MVP has done on Lashley, Shelton and Cedric is crazy.

Lashley was a joke last year. Now he's world champion.

I think the last thing Shelton was doing before the Hurt Business was these vignettes...

200.gif

And Cedric was a 205 Live nobody. Now they're tag champs.

Kayfabe-wise, the managerial job MVP has done on Lashley, Shelton and Cedric is crazy.

Lashley was a joke last year. Now he's world champion.

I think the last thing Shelton was doing before the Hurt Business was these vignettes...

200.gif

And Cedric was a 205 Live nobody. Now they're tag champs.

Miz was a joke 3 weeks ago, now he's the ex Champion and back to being a joke again.

Cedric went from being a 205 Live nobody to being a nobody on Raw who carries around a belt.

Very close to making a case for Retribution to be considered the best faction on Raw.

I mean if the take is bad, I'm going to call out the take. It's nothing personal. I see bad takes, I call them out.

Boring!? You've sat through 3 hours of Raw and you find my posts boring? OK, so I'll do a quick run through here, touching on 4 issues with Raw. I won't talk about the entire show because I actually think you could write a dissertation on last night's Raw. So here we go!

Issue 1: The World Title belts in WWE are props. Of course, all belts in pro wrestling are props, or storytelling devices. But the difference is that WWE treats it's World Title like an actual prop. What does being WWE Champion actually mean? It means nothing, it means you get to walk around with the belt for a while til another guy gets to walk around with it after you. The difference in approach to how WWE treat their World Titles compared to say NJPW is stark. Where in WWE you can cash in a briefcase and win the thing in a few seconds, so that even lower mid card/mid card guys can win it, the achievement in WWE is to be in possession of the World Title, kind of like the one ring in Lord of the Rings. Whereas, using NJPW as the example, they treat it far more like boxing or MMA, where the champion is supposed to be the best guy in the division, the achievement isn't being in possession of the belt, it's that the belt is just a physical representation that you are infact the best wrestler. Ultimately, it makes it tough to care who the World Champions are in WWE, especially in modern times where the champion has no responsibility to pull in a big live gate, a big ppv number or even big quarter hour numbers anymore. They could stick the title on a kid in the crowd and it wouldn't matter. Essentially that's what they've done with Miz, a guy that loses every week is suddenly World Champion? It's the equivalent of giving Yujiro Takahashi the IWGP Belt.

Issue 2: Lashley beat a weak champion. This ties into the first issue. Bobby Lashley is the World Champion in WWE, after 17 years. That's how it was presented to the fans on TV and social media, it was supposed to be a momentous occasion. The problem is, he beat The Miz. The Miz, a guy who never wins, a mid card geek if ever there was one. The Miz who was only the champion on a fluke. They wanted this Lashley win to come across as the career defining moment for the guy, but if you beat nobody to beat the title then straight away it diminishes the moment and you're starting the reign on bad footing. The booking of Lashley has been a strong point on this show for months now, what a horrible shame they couldn't have found somebody stronger for him to beat than Miz.

Issue 3: Sheamus/Drew was on Raw? Moving away from those 2 issues. I had no idea these 2 guys were gonna wrestle last night? Did you? Did anybody? They build this for months, they do the turn which they rushed, then they do the payoff which they both rushed and failed to promote. Where do you go from here? The face beat the heel clean in the 1st match post turn and he did it on the 1st hour of Raw to no fanfare? I swear if you tried to book pro wrestling this badly you couldn't. A child could tell you to drop a tweet about it beforehand if you're really going to go through with doing this match on a random Raw in the 1st hour. But here's the thing. It doesn't matter. Nothing they do matters. They don't have a live crowd to call them out on their nonsense. They've got secure TV contracts. They don't have to sell ppvs or network subs. Nothing that happens on this show matters. They can literally throw anything on the screen and the same 1.6-1.8 million people will watch it every week no matter what so that's how you end up with a mess like this.

Issue 4: Harsh takes on me. People think I'm unfair or WWE bashing? Dude, I just buried Night 1 of NJPW Castle Attack on this board! I buried the thing under the ground because it sucked. The matches sucked. The stories sucked. There was 1 excellent match, everything else sucked. This Raw show had 1 really good match (****) and everything else sucked even worse than that NJPW show. That's called calling it as you see it. No agendas, no nonsense.

Didn't even mention The Fiend, Orton or Alexa once...

Boring, they told me...

And this goes to prove my point even more - you have just listed 4 things you disliked bout last night’s Raw, without mentioning your usual shtick!

So if something causes you this much annoyance, I honestly cant fathom why you invest time in it? Like, you clearly aren’t enjoying the product WWE/Raw are putting across. So it just doesnt make sense you wasting 3 secs, never mind 3 min or 3 hours of your time watching something that you are not enjoying! Just doesn’t make sense!

The Drew/Sheamus shtick meant sense.. Sheamus said he attacked Drew because he was Champ; as Drew isnt Champ anymore, Sheamus (one could argue!) has no desire to go after him anymore.. As for Drew, and you asking “where do you go from here”, I can only presume to the Mania Main Event to face Bobby? I’d suspecr Sheamus will drop back down a bit, maybe to Riddle or Multi Man match at Mania for the US Title. Would you rather they didnt do anything with Sheamus/Drew?

Miz played his role in this story perfectly - considering he had the MitB suitcase, they had to do something with him and it - if it means putting the title on Bobby to give it to Drew in front of people, and take the “will he/wont he cash in” scenario out of it, I’m fine with that too.

For me, I personally do bore of you and your comments every Tues on this thread and most Thurs in the NXT thread. Thats just my opinion. Your weekly rants on the same issues bore me, so I’ll call that out too.

And I’ll end as I have ended most posts back to you on this topic - if you arent happy with the product and the direction its going, then stop following! Its very simple!

And this goes to prove my point even more - you have just listed 4 things you disliked bout last night’s Raw, without mentioning your usual shtick!

So if something causes you this much annoyance, I honestly cant fathom why you invest time in it? Like, you clearly aren’t enjoying the product WWE/Raw are putting across. So it just doesnt make sense you wasting 3 secs, never mind 3 min or 3 hours of your time watching something that you are not enjoying! Just doesn’t make sense!

The Drew/Sheamus shtick meant sense.. Sheamus said he attacked Drew because he was Champ; as Drew isnt Champ anymore, Sheamus (one could argue!) has no desire to go after him anymore.. As for Drew, and you asking “where do you go from here”, I can only presume to the Mania Main Event to face Bobby? I’d suspecr Sheamus will drop back down a bit, maybe to Riddle or Multi Man match at Mania for the US Title. Would you rather they didnt do anything with Sheamus/Drew?

Miz played his role in this story perfectly - considering he had the MitB suitcase, they had to do something with him and it - if it means putting the title on Bobby to give it to Drew in front of people, and take the “will he/wont he cash in” scenario out of it, I’m fine with that too.

For me, I personally do bore of you and your comments every Tues on this thread and most Thurs in the NXT thread. Thats just my opinion. Your weekly rants on the same issues bore me, so I’ll call that out too.

And I’ll end as I have ended most posts back to you on this topic - if you arent happy with the product and the direction its going, then stop following! Its very simple!

So, you're telling me that a match that they've built to as one of the primary stories on this show for like 6 months should happen without any warning? Can you not see how ridiculous that is?

Imagine for a second, you're watching a UFC show. Dana White gets into the Octagon after the 1st fight. He then announces "oh, btw, forgot to mention this beforehand but we're gonna actually have Conor McGregor fight Khabib right now" and then they go and actually do the match and have a clean winner!

In what world could that be considered logical? Dude they've got a ppv in a few weeks, do it at that with some build up and promoting of the match! You've got a lean season after Mania and you've built a credible challenger in Sheamus, have him feud with someone else, have him reference Drew in his promos and then do the big Drew/Sheamus match at the ppv after Wrestlemania! It's so simple!

He had the dumb briefcase because they booked themselves into a corner in the 1st place! Because Vince took a shine to Otis, gave him the briefcase, then realised "bollix, I can't actually have this guy win the thing" and panicked and gave it to The Miz who, if that stat I saw flying around was correct, had only won like 3 matches in nearly a year. Again, can you see how that's just awful storytelling?

Then add me to an ignore list or something! I've got flaming hot takes that must be released into the wild.

When the answer to an argument putting forward points of contention with any entertainment product is "so stop watching it then" that's basically saying there's no comeback to your points. Plus I already answered that question. I'm Sauron and I've a high pain threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

So, you're telling me that a match that they've built to as one of the primary stories on this show for like 6 months should happen without any warning? Can you not see how ridiculous that is?

Imagine for a second, you're watching a UFC show. Dana White gets into the Octagon after the 1st fight. He then announces "oh, btw, forgot to mention this beforehand but we're gonna actually have Conor McGregor fight Khabib right now" and then they go and actually do the match and have a clean winner!

In what world could that be considered logical? Dude they've got a ppv in a few weeks, do it at that with some build up and promoting of the match! You've got a lean season after Mania and you've built a credible challenger in Sheamus, have him feud with someone else, have him reference Drew in his promos and then do the big Drew/Sheamus match at the ppv after Wrestlemania! It's so simple!

He had the dumb briefcase because they booked themselves into a corner in the 1st place! Because Vince took a shine to Otis, gave him the briefcase, then realised "bollix, I can't actually have this guy win the thing" and panicked and gave it to The Miz who, if that stat I saw flying around was correct, had only won like 3 matches in nearly a year. Again, can you see how that's just awful storytelling?

Then add me to an ignore list or something! I've got flaming hot takes that must be released into the wild.

When the answer to an argument putting forward points of contention with any entertainment product is "so stop watching it then" that's basically saying there's no comeback to your points. Plus I already answered that question. I'm Sauron and I've a high pain threshold.

The stop watching and why do you follow argument is the worst. Thanks for the concern like but it only takes five mins of a YouTube video on the commute to work to see how bad Raw is.

The stop watching and why do you follow argument is the worst. Thanks for the concern like but it only takes five mins of a YouTube video on the commute to work to see how bad Raw is.

Exactly! Ironically I've spent ages the last while putting over NXT in certain respects. I swear people aren't even reading the takes and I think I was way more positive on the Elimination Chamber show than a lot of people were too. Not because I'm trying to fill a "positivity quota" but because if something is good I'll call it that way. And this week's Raw was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Sometimes when you stop looking for all these nuances in story telling, the movie becomes enjoyable.

The Meg movie is garbage, I went in excepting garbage and I actually liked it. Now if an alien appeared during it I would of been like wtf ( fiend is weeks alien)

Sometimes when you lower your narrative expectation you enjoy it more. And you can actually learn more.

Ie The Miz, a man so desperate for the spotlight that he has become a WWE champion it using the cheapest method possible. Became an afterthought after his first run and after waiting 10 years to hold the title he lives it in 2 weeks. Its perfect.

We now have Bobby Lashley finally fulfilling his potential and becoming the top guy. With so much TV to produce stuff is obviously gonna become diluted.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Sometimes when you stop looking for all these nuances in story telling, the movie becomes enjoyable.

The Meg movie is garbage, I went in excepting garbage and I actually liked it. Now if an alien appeared during it I would of been like wtf ( fiend is weeks alien)

Sometimes when you lower your narrative expectation you enjoy it more. And you can actually learn more.

Ie The Miz, a man so desperate for the spotlight that he has become a WWE champion it using the cheapest method possible. Became an afterthought after his first run and after waiting 10 years to hold the title he lives it in 2 weeks. Its perfect.

We now have Bobby Lashley finally fulfilling his potential and becoming the top guy. With so much TV to produce stuff is obviously gonna become diluted.

Sure, and I'm sure I probably unconsciously grade WWE curve anyway. But dude the World Champion spent 3 hours running away from the challenger. Like he's beyond not being a credible champion. For all that Lashley got out of beating Miz, if this were like 15 years ago he'd have gotten the same amount for smashing Hornswoggle and beating him for a World Title.

So on your mention of UFC, I think I've discovered what your issue is, and I'll let you in on a secret... Don't tell anyone now, because if you (who "watches everything" didnt already know...) Wrestling is fake! I thought you would have guessed considering what the "E" stands for in WWE.. Maybe that might clear things up for you!

I dont watch WWE thinking its all real; so when Orton spits out blood, or Miz becomes champ, I dont think "oh well that would happen in real life".. The same way when I'm watching James Bond movies, and the bad guy can never shot a gun.. I know its entertainment!

There are other things I dont find entertaining The Real World - therefore I dont follow them! Like the Kardashians for example. Couldnt care less about them, but I know they have a show. I dont go on a forum every week after the show giving out about them.. I just avoid them.. Others find it entertaining, I dont..

Similar to people finding Raw entertaining, you dont...... *insert usual line here*...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Great that Bobby lashley is the world champ. I like miz and he’s been a loyal solider to wwe but not world champion level. The one thing recently he did very well was bring something resembling respectability to the IC title so hopefully he get the record number of title reigns and cumulative record of days as champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL532KJlk2Q/?igshid=12bbrxrkzzup0

Lashley only the third African American/samoan man to hold the wwe world championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,460 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully they don't have Bobby as another transitional champion and hand the title back to Drew in a couple of weeks.

A dominant Bobby and Hurt Business running rough shot over the WWE for the next 6/8 months would be great.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CL532KJlk2Q/?igshid=12bbrxrkzzup0

Lashley only the third African American/samoan to hold the wwe world championship.

I dislike how the big gold belt is airbrushed from history these days.

Lashley looks fantastic as champ. Him and Roman are how World Champions should look in wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hopefully they don't have Bobby as another transitional champion and hand the title back to Drew in a couple of weeks.

A dominant Bobby and Hurt Business running rough shot over the WWE for the next 6/8 months would be great.

Yeah hopefully he isn’t the iron sheik(for many reasons) in terms of title runs. I’d love to see John Morrison be a world champ at some point. He passes the worlds champ visual test IMO.

It’s great to see Bobby lashley, MVP, and Shelton getting a second genuine push and them hitting all the right buttons. I don’t mind former wwe talent coming back when they can deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,460 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be interesting to see if they did pop the ratings on the top of each hour with the pushing of the the title throughout the show which of course was there real intention.

So on your mention of UFC, I think I've discovered what your issue is, and I'll let you in on a secret... Don't tell anyone now, because if you (who "watches everything" didnt already know...) Wrestling is fake! I thought you would have guessed considering what the "E" stands for in WWE.. Maybe that might clear things up for you!

I dont watch WWE thinking its all real; so when Orton spits out blood, or Miz becomes champ, I dont think "oh well that would happen in real life".. The same way when I'm watching James Bond movies, and the bad guy can never shot a gun.. I know its entertainment!

There are other things I dont find entertaining The Real World - therefore I dont follow them! Like the Kardashians for example. Couldnt care less about them, but I know they have a show. I dont go on a forum every week after the show giving out about them.. I just avoid them.. Others find it entertaining, I dont..

Similar to people finding Raw entertaining, you dont...... *insert usual line here*...

Ye I wouldn't tell that to Randy Orton or he'll get real mad.

I think you've missed the point of the analogy so I'm gonna try again.

We're watching Dynamite, we're 20 minutes in. Then TK comes to the ring and says "oh hey guys, so that Mox/Omega match we've been building for ages! Ye, I'm gonna do it right now." Then Mox beats Omega clean.

Can you spot why that would be a problem? And how that would be a big wasted opportunity? I mean, at the very core of promoting anything (wrestling, boxing, MMA) the first thing you do is advertise your product in advance. That's literally the 1st step to promoting anything.

Ye but the problem is the entertainment sucks. It looks crap. It destroys their own world, it's laughable to non-fans and it's driven away their own fans to the point where all that's left is their hardcore audience that skews old.

Again, I watch more pro wrestling in a week than most will in 3 months. In that mix is WWE. That's just how it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Retribution: We answer to no one. We will destroy WWE and rebuild it in our own image

Also Retribution: Ok, we will be lumberjacks.

What a joke of a stable. One of the worst ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I spat out my tea in laughter at that Orton segment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

What the fcuk is going on with Shane and Braun? This story is no nonsensical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement