Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4 / PC)

• 28-04-2017 1:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So here we have the latest critically acclaimed walking simu... hey where are you going?

Yes, the new game from Giant Sparrow (The Unfinished Swan) is, on first glance anyway, broadly similar to many divisive games from recent years. The setup is pure Gone Home (teenage girl arriving home to abandoned house), the slow walking speed pure Everyone Gone to the Rapture (although
    a mid-game 'twist'
    explains why that is the case here), and the narrative asides are similar to the best moments in Vanishing of Ethan Carter (not to mention the similar naming convention). But in many ways, this is a noteworthy evolution from all of the above.

Walking simulators (with some exceptions) have mostly had the player in a passive role in relation to the drama playing out - you play someone discovering what has happened, but not typically examining it firsthand. Initially, this is how Edith Finch works too - you enter a delightfully gothic building (the fantastical house design is pure Tim Burton) and start discovering hidden passages into locked rooms while Edith narrates. The detail is impeccable - this feels like a genuinely lived in space, full of impressively detailed minutiae (real talk: I've never seen a more accurate video game bathroom due to some extraordinary carpet textures :pac:). But once you get into the rooms, you discover books, letters and other key objects - and that's where the game gets really interesting.

This is effectively a short story collection (I love Sam Barlow's description of it as narrative WarioWare) about a dozen or so family members who have died in a variety of gruesome, mysterious and tragic ways. To tell those stories, Giant Sparrow have come with a variety of inventive, well, 'narrative mini-games' that range from around 2-3 minutes to maybe 15 minutes or so at the longer end. Don't expect any mechanical depth or anything - these are quick hitters with some sort of basic interaction. They all use some sort of novel approach to recount the tragedy in question - one is told through the lens of a camera (the shutter click serving as an in-game edit), for example, while another plays out within the panels of a cheesy horror comic book. Mixed and matched with the more familiar 'environmental storytelling', this creates a quite fresh and interesting dynamic that feels like a real effort to marry the form of the storytelling with the stories being told.

To expand on the most provocative example -
    one later story tells of Edith's brother's mental breakdown and eventual suicide. Initially this story has you repeating the monotonous task of fishhead chopping while the character daydreams of a simplistic 2D maze to keep himself occupied. But eventually the maze grows in scope, perspective, intensity - by the end you're in a lavish, full-scale 3D fantasy where the real world is relegated to an afterthought. The whole thing is a powerful way of articulating somebody's loneliness and fragile state-of-mind through 'play' - a personal story that you're allowed experience firsthand rather than just being told about it. The approach to the subject matter is likely to provoke debate, but the execution - perhaps an unfortunate word given the story's conclusion - is undeniably brave.

This is a short game - you'll easily see the end credits in a sitting. But it is rich with ideas, and displays a genuine willingness to try and articulate an interactive narrative in a new way. Like any short story collection the 'chapters' here can fluctuate a tad in term of quality and intrigue, but together they form a tableau that is equal parts macabre, darkly comedic, experimental and often emotionally affecting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Your use of the words 'Gone Home' and 'pure' have me very interested in this. 20 is a bit steep though, I might wait for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

A lot more engaging than Gone Home. Great variety in the stories told. The game looks great, but price is always a bit of a stumbling block; 20 euro for a decent story you'll finish in 2 hours doesn't stack up well in comparison to a book or film.

I'd still recommend it to anyone, with a caveat on the price.

A lot more engaging than Gone Home. Great variety in the stories told. The game looks great, but price is always a bit of a stumbling block; 20 euro for a decent story you'll finish in 2 hours doesn't stack up well in comparison to a book or film.

I'd still recommend it to anyone, with a caveat on the price.

Yeah I'm normally one to value the experience over the price and length but I've had to stop doing that and be a "wait for sale" guy. I know dev's need a return but surely if they priced these games to sell out of the gate more people might bite? Or am I being naive and that folks would still "wait for sale" if it was 9.99 :P

Really think there's an angle they can work marketing these games to get more people to play them and to try and get away from the walking sim tag and get people to think of them as they would a movie pay your 10 euro and be entertained for 2 hours. Like it's friday night and I'd sooner spend my 2 hours playing something like this than watch the late late :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So I just saw this being streamed from start to finish and wow, it was really good. Not the sorta thing I'd have ever spent money on, so it was watch a stream or nothing, but it was a genuinely emotional story told very well.

I got this for 13 euro in a psn sale earlier in November. Absolutely fantastic game the interactivity to tell the stories was amazing, the comic book and the fantasy land sections were standout but also simple things like the bathtub had such a huge impact.

I started looking at the journal and all the family members thinking I'm never going to remember all them but the game does such a brilliant job making you care about each of them and making them memorable.

20 is a bit steep and and I prefer Gone Home but What Remains of Edith Finch was one of my favourite gaming experiences this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I got this for 13 euro in a psn sale earlier in November. Absolutely fantastic game the interactivity to tell the stories was amazing, the comic book and the fantasy land sections were standout but also simple things like the bathtub had such a huge impact.

I started looking at the journal and all the family members thinking I'm never going to remember all them but the game does such a brilliant job making you care about each of them and making them memorable.

20 is a bit steep and and I prefer Gone Home but What Remains of Edith Finch was one of my favourite gaming experiences this year.

Totally agree with you. I took a punt on this a good while back because on the face of it, it seemed like my type of game. Definitely one of the stand out experience of the last few years, along with ' Everybodys gone to the rapture' and 'the vanishing of Ethan Carter.'

That bathtub scene got me as soon as I could see where it was going. Since becoming a Dad myself, such topics really hit home. Don't even get me started on ' That dragon cancer.'

I must try Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I only played the start of EGTTR but it didn't grip me at all. Didn't really give it a chance though so must go back. Can't believe this game has under 10 posts of comments, bit mad. I read how this has links to the other dev game Unfinished Swan in that
    your missing brother is actually in his fantasy land in Unfinished Swan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I must try Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I only played the start of EGTTR but it didn't grip me at all. Didn't really give it a chance though so must go back. Can't believe this game has under 10 posts of comments, bit mad. I read how this has links to the other dev game Unfinished Swan in that
    your missing brother is actually in his fantasy land in Unfinished Swan.

Have you not played Unfinished Swan? A fantastic game that everyone should play.

Have you not played Unfinished Swan? A fantastic game that everyone should play.

I think I got free with ps plus at some point and played a bit of it but got distracted with other games, will definitely go back to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Definitely give EGTTR another go. I was wandering around trying to figure out what the hell to do and it kind of clicked into place and and some pieces started falling together. It is wonderful.

• Advertisement

I read Brothers: a tale of 2 sons is a great story games as well, saw I just missed out on sale for a fiver, back to 20 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I think I got free with ps plus at some point and played a bit of it but got distracted with other games, will definitely go back to it now.
    The Unfinished Swan reference in Edith Finch was one of my favourite parts as I was not expecting it, the art style & music was great.

There is also a small easter egg from another game in The Unfinished Swan, nothing major but I still dont want to spoil it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah the unfinished swan is very good. Totally unique. Loved it at the time but I must say that once it was finished it kind of popped out of my memory.
    I read Brothers: a tale of 2 sons is a great story games as well, saw I just missed out on sale for a fiver, back to 20 now.

Brothers is an out and out gem. I heard it was good going into it but it blew me out of the water. Its full of charm and hits the nail on the head gameplay wise for what it was trying to deliver.

Like others have said, you should definitely give EGTTR another chance. It's definitely a slow burner but if you take your time with it to explore and let everything unfold naturally, the village and the surrounding areas really take on their own character once the story starts to roll along. There's a lot of subtlety to it, and its definitely right on the edge of being one of those ' games that isn't really a game' type scenarios. Amazing soundtrack too.

Ever play Dear Esther? I fell in love with that game, but again, I can definitely see why it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea.

I meant to pick up Dear Esther so many times, even when it was dirt cheap, I really need to get it one of the days. Looks like that was just 4 quid a few days ago. Could do with a thread for these type of games, I'm sure there's plenty of story focused gems I haven't played yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Zero-Cool wrote:
    I meant to pick up Dear Esther so many times, even when it was dirt cheap, I really need to get it one of the days. Looks like that was just 4 quid a few days ago. Could do with a thread for these type of games, I'm sure there's plenty of story focused gems I haven't played yet.

Tacoma is another, set in space, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got this reduced to €13.99 on Steam with the game awards promo. Had some performance issues on my PC to begin with but figured out the settings and it played great. Really, really enjoyed it. The bath scene was amazing as was the cannery one. Reading up on the story now, seems I missed a bit with a kite? Will have to go back for that. Also couldn't figure out timelines in some places. Great game though as others have said €20 for two hours is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

Played this Saturday night and Sunday morning . Thought it was a brilliant game until I got to the ending .. which was a let down tbh !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

brady12 wrote: »
    Played this Saturday night and Sunday morning . Thought it was a brilliant game until I got to the ending .. which was a let down tbh !

Great game while it lasted, got through it in 2.5hrs but enjoyed it more than most movies I've seen lately. The ending is very meh, but it didn't ruin the experience much

Advertisement