Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Badger & Dodo single origin subscription chat

• 08-02-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I think a few of us are on this subscription now - wonder if a chat thread is a good idea to compare reviews / thoughts on the beans each month including brew tips or methods?

I started the sub in January with the Nicaraguan bean which I really liked - different to my usual - quite earthy I found.

This month's is a Brazilian Recreio https://badgeranddodo.ie/shop/brazil-recreio-2/

I am a big fan of a nice chocolately Brazilian bean but actually find this a bit bland or nothing to write home about.

I'm using a clever dripper to brew.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Brazilian beans in a subscription is why I stopped my Bailies one :pac:

I now rather just spend a few bob at the start of each month and get my own selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

If I was to buy it now I assume I've missed this month? I need beans now (that sounds a bit desperate) and would jump on this is the 1st month were to be shipped right away.

EDIT: I've asked B&D, which I should have done 1st anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Bawnmore wrote: »
    If I was to buy it now I assume I've missed this month? I need beans now (that sounds a bit desperate) and would jump on this is the 1st month were to be shipped right away.

EDIT: I've asked B&D, which I should have done 1st anyway.

I'm in the same position as yourself, I asked B&D earlier on but waiting a reply. What did they say?

I'll drop out to the local cafe and pick up a bag to tie me over til the end of the month

frink wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as yourself, I asked B&D earlier on but waiting a reply. What did they say?

I'll drop out to the local cafe and pick up a bag to tie me over til the end of the month

I'm waiting on a reply here too - the Facebook Messenger message never delivered so I've sent them a message through the contact form too. Will post here if I find out before you.

Got a reply. Can either buy the subscription now and wait until the 24th for the next batch to be shipped, or mention in the order and they'll send the 1st order now. I'm waiting for a response to find out what beans they would be now as if it's the Brazilian (which I assume it will be) I might just hold off until the next batch to kick it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

With the free advertising they are getting here we should nearly ask for a boardsie discount code :D:D

I'm ordering it now - they're going to send on a Peruvian immediately and I can pick up on the normal subscription dates from March onwards.

I'm ordering it now - they're going to send on a Peruvian immediately and I can pick up on the normal subscription dates from March onwards.

Oh great - I saw on Insta they just got a new Peruvian microlot and was hoping it would be the next sub bag - you have ruined the surprise for us Bawnmore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

With the free advertising they are getting here we should nearly ask for a boardsie discount code :D:D

This is a good idea.

I have an idea where a bunch of us would commit to a monthly amount and approach a number of roasters and say we have xxx to spend, for xxx kilos what can you do for us.

Kind of like a monthly sub run by us, for us.

Oh great - I saw on Insta they just got a new Peruvian microlot and was hoping it would be the next sub bag - you have ruined the surprise for us Bawnmore!!

This only serves to add to B&D's genius marketing plan.
    Kind of like a monthly sub run by us, for us.

I like that idea too - surely a discounted bulk sub for people who willingly post reviews and discuss their coffee publicly must be tempting to a roaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I did it for a while but I realised I just like dark roast beans and they are easier on the stomach. All these washed and exotic beans just don't do it for me. Maher's Italian or French roast is lovely.

This came yesterday and it's actually the Brazilian, not the Peruvian. Just made 1st cup of it there (took a shockingly accurate stab at dialing the grind in) and I'm liking it. There'll be some more dialing in over the next few cups, but feeling good about it so far. I'm coming from a nasty bag of supermarket beans though so I might just be noticing the step up.

I also have to assume that I've started on last months instead of next months and I'll be getting the next bag in no time .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Does it take long for the deliveries to arrive?

Does it take long for the deliveries to arrive?

If mine is anything to go by, then no. Ordered Tursday morning at 8am and received Friday morning at 10AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Signed up for this as well this morning. Looking forward to receiving first delivery!

Finally signed up today

Finally signed up today

I have found it gets roasted on the last Monday of the month and arrives on the last Thursday (shipped on the weds I believe)

I have found it gets roasted on the last Monday of the month and arrives on the last Thursday (shipped on the weds I believe)

Thank you kindly

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭VM Varga

A bag of Peruvian landed today as part of the sub. Won’t get to give it a spin until tomorrow.

Yes, got mine too! Will probably be a week before I hit it as I've some Velo beans to get through first. Not sure if i have ever tried Peruvian so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

No sign of mine yet. Prob stuck in the Fastway supply chain

Still waiting on mine too - got the Brazilian late so suits me fine not having them just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Got mine last Thursday as well. Started drinking it Friday.
    What a superb coffee in my opinion.

Occured to me I never received this months sub. This happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Peruvian is really good coffee, perfect for espresso too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Occured to me I never received this months sub. This happen to anyone else?

Me too.
    I’m going to have to email them again.

BQQ wrote: »
    Me too.
    I’m going to have to email them again.

Forgot to update here. Emailed the other day and because I received first sub early Feb, won't receive another until end of March as they only send out one a month.

Disappointed that they have this approach to be honest as I previously said I would wait until the end of Feb for the first delivery

Forgot to update here. Emailed the other day and because I received first sub early Feb, won't receive another until end of March as they only send out one a month.

Disappointed that they have this approach to be honest as I previously said I would wait until the end of Feb for the first delivery

Same here - I'm going to contact them now and see if they can just bump me back a month - surely that can't be too much trouble.

Same here - I'm going to contact them now and see if they can just bump me back a month - surely that can't be too much trouble.

Interested to see what they say. I'd be keen to try this months sub from the reviews above

• Advertisement

Interested to see what they say. I'd be keen to try this months sub from the reviews above

Same here - I mentioned there's a few of us in the same situation who joined early Feb so hopefully they can get it sorted.

Advertisement